Is Sam Bradford better than Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Foles is injury prone based on what? Last year? No, he's not nearly there yet.

Anyways, I liked Bradford but I am not looking back one bit. I don't care if he lights up the NFL next season, the fact remains that the fans of the organization he plays for have to hold their breaths on every single snap in fear of him going down for the season for whatever reason. He has way more upside than Foles, but the likelihood of losing him for an extended period of time is way higher as well. Give me a solid QB who can stay on the field. It's the old "one bird in the hand" thing for me.

Foles injury history:

IR'ed week 17 of 2012 w/ a hand injury
Missed a game in 2013 with Concussion (his first start was week 4)
Collarbone last year (week 9)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nick Foles all day

Why? for one because I'm a Ram fan and give the edge to our guys and two, his high side (2013) was out of this world and low side (2014) is comparable to Sam's career avg

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
It's always going to come down to health with Bradford. Can't be better if he can't stay on the field in a consistent basis. Now we don't have to worry if Bradford is going to last the whole season and have the "What If" situation.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's been absolutely wild how many people have been talking up Sam Bradford all over the place lately. The past 2-3 years our beloved Rams have been criticized for not dumping Bradford earlier and now Bradford is being talked about as if he's destined to have an All Pro year.
Yeah it's pretty stupid. Objectivity has flown out the window for all of the talking heads and fans out there with a simple change of uniform.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
To answer the OP question...all things being equal in terms of health i'll take Bradford over Foles but the Rams had to cut bait. I'm fully on board with the move. IMO Foles is a stop gap upgrade over Hill/Davis/Clemens at this point.

Athos

Legend
When you take pure physical tools of the trade at QB, Bradford is superior to Foles as a QB. Probably not even close.

Add in Sam being in a system now where he can utilize his strengths for once, and they are probably further apart.

But Foles has health going for him, which is the most important part. If Foles develops cerebrally at the position and can make quality, quick decisions, he had overcome a lot of his lesser physical tools.

iced

Actually, his first start was week #6, he came in for an injured Michael Vick in week #5

probably should have reworded it - "The first time he started to see action" , didn't mean as a starter

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
tumblr_l6coe5ZEA71qcq6yco1_500.jpg

Apparently.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
probably should have reworded it - "The first time he started to see action" , didn't mean as a starter
No worries, your concern is warranted.
2013, he became the starter week #6 vs Tampa Bay, got knocked out of the game in his next start then missed the game after that.
I'm a HUGE fan of the guy, think he'll do great but yeah, going off his history expecting him to play 16 is a questionable expectation

iced

No worries, your concern is warranted.
2013, he became the starter week #6 vs Tampa Bay, got knocked out of the game in his next start then missed the game after that.
I'm a HUGE fan of the guy, think he'll do great but yeah, going off his history expecting him to play 16 is a questionable expectation

lol didn't mean come off as a concern, was just throwing out his "injury history" and letting people make of it what they will.

I'm more concerned about his health from the stand point that our line has not kept QB's healthy for the past 2 seasons. We've been down to our 3rd string, maybe even almost 4th string at one point, for too many consecutive seasons... When your back ups and backup's back up are going down....

well... you know the definition of insanity lol

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
if you go by market value, Foles is worth a 2nd rounder. Sam was worth a late first-rounder and hasn't played in 2 years.

I talked to a Ram fan in San Diego a few weeks back. He said Sam had no trade value. I said he had some value, but I didn't think it was a QB plus a 2nd . Now we find out the net-net for Sam was a 1st rounder. And I guess, but I don't know that Snead said more than one team offered a late 1st for Sam.

Health is only thing holding Sam back. I hope he does well, but I hope Foles does better and when he play tat Foles beats him

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't think there is any question as to which QB has the most upside - Bradford. But as well all know, there are mitigating factors that make things less clear as to the respective values of Bradford and Foles.

Nick isn't exactly chopped liver. He put up monster numbers in 2013, and his more average numbers in 2014 were just that - average, not terrible. And he still has upside. As for the "injury prone" knock against him, I'll take his injury prone over Bradford's any day. His concussion, broken hand in week 17 of 2012, and broken collarbone of 2014 all added together means about the same number of lost games as Bradford had after is first ACL tear. And none of those injuries requires extensive rehab. Bradford is now coming of his 2nd ACL tear to the same knee, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back with his Rams tenure. The Rams have had two seasons go straight into the $hitter thanks to Sam's ACL, and given the option to get someone like Foles or risk another season with Sam's shaky knee, I fully support what the Rams did.

I really liked Sam, and do think he was better than a lot of his critics give him credit for. With the Rams, he's had some lousy coaching, too much coaching turnover, mediocre supporting cast, and just when the WR's we've taken start developing, he had not one, but two ACL tears in consecutive seasons. No matter how hard we wish things were going to be different, the fact is that things were not going to work out for him in a Rams uniform. It was time to move on. Good luck Sam - except when you play us!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
and his more average numbers in 2014 were just that - average, not terrible.

They were pretty much identical to Austin Davis
Davis: 180-284 (63.4%) 2001 yards (7.0 ypa) 12 TDs (4.2%) 9 INTs (3.2%) 85.1 rating.
Foles: 186-311 (59.8%) 2163 yards (7.0 ypa) 13 TD (4.2%) 10 INTs (3.2%) 81.4 rating.

Davis vs the NFC West: 68-116 (58.6%) 712 (6.14 ypa) 5 TDs (4.3%) 5 INTs (4.3%) 72.9 rating.
Foles vs the NFC West: 81-142 (57.0%) 813 (5.73 ypa) 4 TDs (2.8%) 5 INTs (3.5%) 68.2 rating.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think there is any question as to which QB has the most upside - Bradford.
I really wish I could understand why people think that.
Nick Foles "upside"
203/317 2891 yards, 27 td, 2 int, 119.2 QB rating
Sam?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I really wish I could understand why people think that.
Nick Foles "upside"
203/317 2891 yards, 27 td, 2 int, 119.2 QB rating
Sam?

I hear what you are saying. I am in the camp Bradford has more upside but its more the eye ball test. I agree 2013 was off the charts, almost fantasy footballish. A poster posted a thread about Foles' 2013 campaign and pointed to a lot of luck. Many INT that were dropped etc. I have to be honest I didn't see one game he played in 2013, but I did see him twice last year. Its a small sample but I thought he was ok. Not great, not bad but a good QB.

Some think also that his 2013 was due to catching teams off guard. Once they there was some tape teams made adjustments and it resulted in 2014.

Maybe as a Ram fan my expectations are tempered some. I remember back about 20 years ago this QB from Canada was supposed to come in and light it up for us......do you remember who I am talking about lol?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember back about 20 years ago this QB from Canada was supposed to come in and light it up for us......do you remember who I am talking about lol?
I do! :LOL:

Some loud-mouthed know-it-all player IIRC.
:LOL: