Is our offense better because Bradford got hurt (not a bashing thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Why is the offense better

• More commitment to running game/improved running game

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Improvement due to experience of younger players

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Other reason that I'll add in the thread

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
That long ball stat is misleading. It was a 10 yard pass that went 80 because of TA. His longest ball is really the 57 yarder to TA in the same game.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think it's a bit unfair to look at percentages when discussing downfield passes. The bulk of Bradford's passes have come when the offense was intended to use the short passing game as a substitute for a running game. Conversely, Clemens hasn't been asked to throw the ball much and when he has, it's been to exploit defenses drawn in to stop a dominant running game. Bradford was putting up very solid numbers while carrying the offense. Clemens has just benefited from a long overdue breakout by Tavon and a running game that is winning games on it's own.

Bradford was succeeding at passing the ball when defenses didn't respect the run and knew the Rams were going to pass. The circumstances between the two QB's are complete opposites. Eventually, defenses are going to adjust to the Rams running game and force Clemens to start making more throws and then it will likely be evident why he's always been a backup. That Bradford was able to produce when defenses gameplanned to stop him is a good thing and something that I don't think the naysayers give him much credit for.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
When you can run when teams know you are running...if you can run effectively with 8 men in the box, what do you think Sam would have been able to do the rest of the year, with a young improving total offense? Not to mention the defense and return game that we ALL thought were givings before the season started.

When you can run or pass when the other team knows you have to do this on certain downs, and are still successful, then you have the ability to be a good team, generally.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The offense is better because of a combination of both. Young players are improving, the running game is working and the OL is playing better football...even if they did have some lapses in protection against the Bears.

Clemens is doing enough to not be a liability for us but you can tell they don't want to put too much on his shoulders. It'll be nice to see what Bradford can do if we can run the ball like we are now next year. We already got a sneak peak of that against Jax, Houston and Carolina.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Can't we just enjoy these last 2 wins and save the conjecture for a rainy day...err, um..week? After watching the Whiners LBs play last night, I am very leary of us being able to run with anything close to the success we had against our previous opponents. This could very well be the game that justifies the "Bradford Moms" stats and opinions and quiets the "KC is all Sunshine" boys. Me? I could care less who is in there as long as they play their ass off and hold themselves accountable. This fan base is so jaded that we argue with each other after 2 blowout wins....when was the last time this team had 2 BLOWOUT victories in a row???? Sheesh. And while I am on my soapbox, why the HELL are there so many draft threads in November???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can't we just enjoy these last 2 wins and save the conjecture for a rainy day...err, um..week? After watching the Whiners LBs play last night, I am very leary of us being able to run with anything close to the success we had against our previous opponents. This could very well be the game that justifies the "Bradford Moms" stats and opinions and quiets the "KC is all Sunshine" boys. Me? I could care less who is in there as long as they play their ass off and hold themselves accountable. This fan base is so jaded that we argue with each other after 2 blowout wins....when was the last time this team had 2 BLOWOUT victories in a row???? Sheesh. And while I am on my soapbox, why the HELL are there so many draft threads in November???
I don't see much arguing.
Pretty good discussion I thought.

nighttrain

Legend
Yeah, it's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that the offense just changed. They went from a spread concept (that didn't take off initially) to a ground-n-pound offense. Would have been nice if we had the wherewithal to start the season like that, but it is what it is I guess. So in theory, you're right. It did get better after Bradford got hurt, but it was already headed that way. Right now one can only speculate how different it would be with Bradford, if all else stayed constant. I believe we would be a complete team. Right now we're a good team with a backup QB. That's my opinion, anyway.
mine also, nothing against Clemens, but Bradford was throwing to guys that are just now breaking out in this offense, also i thin Shott was forced(a good thing) to change his approach.
train

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Make no mistake, I'm hoping Clemens holds us together to finish the season but he is simply not the reason we are seeing the team improve. Our passing game has actually suffered significantly since Bradford went down in passing yards, completion percentage, etc. Our running game exploding from out of nowhere is what is making the difference. Plus, our defense is playing tougher than ever as well.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Haha the PD trolls have Bradford being cut next week and are hoping to trade Pead to Washington for RG3&out.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Haha the PD trolls have Bradford being cut next week and are hoping to trade Pead to Washington for RG3&out.

Reason enough, and there are many, to avoid that cesspool completely. I think my entire life has improved since I stopped wasting time over there.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Welcome to the board BTW, OkieRam Fan! I think you'll find this place MUCH different than that other one.

PhxRam

I think our offense is better simply based on the fact that we have had the lead early in both games.

jap

Legend
I think our offense is better simply based on the fact that we have had the lead early in both games.

That has been a huge key as it allows the strength of our D to get going early. Why wouldn't we want The Mighty Quinn and Chris teeing off on opposing QB's? I would hate to have to play from behind with Kellen at the helm.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's both A and B. Players around Bradford had not come together yet or needed to grow. Bradford passing the ball WAS the offense and it was all we had. We have much more now.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Honorable mention:

Special Teams is making this team click. Rams are nowhere without it. The opponents' long drives allow us to play the bend but don't break passing D and give Lightning and Thunder many chances to rattle the QB and create the turnovers. It runs down the clock. It gives GZ shorter fields for FGs (48 is the longest this season). It gives TA punt return opportunities. It gives the Rams short field position.

Hekker, Greg the Leg, Tavon, Bailey, Ray Ray, and the rest of the crew are setting the table with fine china.

ausmurp

Starter
We were attempted a spread offense, when our OC's scheme is a power run first offense. That was the main problem. Now that we are a power run first offense, and we have a HB that can handle that load, we are set up. I just hope that we keep this scheme when Bradford comes back next year. I think if we do, we win 10 or 11 for sure, regardless of how hard the schedule is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time. That place makes the characters from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest look like a nuclear physics think tank.

I dunno. Sometimes that place is good for a laugh. Just be prepared for a high level of douchebaggery.:uhm:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
After watching the Whiners LBs play last night, I am very leary of us being able to run with anything close to the success we had against our previous opponents.
That is my thought exactly. Their linebackers were very successful against the Redskins' rushing attack.

I'm sure we'll still see some success with the run, but they certainly displayed some strong tackling.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Maybe the offense will do better since they stepped game since Sam is out.........and will be better next year when he is back.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Just curious, who amongst real fans with just nominal football knowledge didn't expect the Rams to hit their offensive stride at the very best...mid season point?