Is our offense better because Bradford got hurt (not a bashing thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Why is the offense better

• More commitment to running game/improved running game

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Improvement due to experience of younger players

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Other reason that I'll add in the thread

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
One of the things I noticed and I think the announcers noticed it yesterday too is how much better our offense is right now. What the announcers noticed and what I noticed is that since Bradford got hurt the Rams made a true commitment to the run game. After doing that the O-line looks better, the QB looks better and the offense just flows much better.

Because Bradford can be such a good pure pocket passer I think there was a lot of pressure to use him to drive the entire offense when really this offense runs best when it makes a concerted effort to run the ball. I think having a good power runner like Zack Stacy really helped as well, but you can see how much more open the WR are getting.

I think it's also possible that the offense is better because it was so young and just simply gained experience. For instance look at how well Austin is playing now. I know he didn't have a lot of touches this game, but because of that huge run in the 1st Quarter the Bears defense had to account for him the entire time. That let our WR have more room to run their routes.

It could also be a combination of the two or something else entirely. What do you think?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think the offense has basically been the same since the jax game. as soon as the rams made stacy the starter the running game has been good to great and everything else flows off that. if bradford was still on the field the rams would be 7 and 4. 6 and 5 minimum.

austin breaking out has really sparked this offense though. he and bradford should be bffs for the whole offseason so come game 1 next season they know exactly what each other will do on any given down.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, it's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that the offense just changed. They went from a spread concept (that didn't take off initially) to a ground-n-pound offense. Would have been nice if we had the wherewithal to start the season like that, but it is what it is I guess. So in theory, you're right. It did get better after Bradford got hurt, but it was already headed that way. Right now one can only speculate how different it would be with Bradford, if all else stayed constant. I believe we would be a complete team. Right now we're a good team with a backup QB. That's my opinion, anyway.

probably gonna catch hell for this again, but bradford is not that much, if any, better than clemens at qb. sure things changed game plan wise but we are also spreading the ball around and taking some shots down the field. is that because of the dedication to the plan change?? lmaybe. i also would like to think taht the team has the mentality to "do more" individually after losing their starting qb. tavon seems to have caught on, our dline shows up yesterday (actually my fav part of the day where the goal line stands). anyway, to aonswer the question, yoes it think that it is obvious that our offense is way better (for whatever reason, because im sure that a few wont think bradford had anything to do with it) than when we had bradford in there.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
probably gonna catch hell for this again, but bradford is not that much, if any, better than clemens at qb.
I don't see how you can say that with a straight face. We did well yesterday in spite of Clemons. Yes, he wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't say his play was good. He had some terrible throws. And only attempted 10 or so.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The offense is NOT better without Bradford. It's nice to see the improvement in play though despite his absence.

The young players are getting more up to speed, we have a RB (or 2) that has established himself as a force, committed to the run in scheme and mindset, and I think each player has been digging down all the way to try and compensate for Bradford's absence.

It's a number of things... but the offense is NOT better without Sam.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The offense is NOT better without Bradford. It's nice to see the improvement in play though despite his absence.

The young players are getting more up to speed, we have a RB (or 2) that has established himself as a force, committed to the run in scheme and mindset, and I think each player has been digging down all the way to try and compensate for Bradford's absence.

It's a number of things... but the offense is NOT better without Sam.
I believe that's the biggest thing that happened for the team. The individual effort has gone up since Bradford went down. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that was Fisher's doing. You know, making everyone aware that it was time to step up. You could see it during the Seattle game. The Oline, the Dline really stepped up in that game. The only thing lacking in that game was Clemens, and we've seen him improve quite a bit since then.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think it's a combination of things.

First, the defense has obviously improved. They were young and struggled earlier in the season. Confidence came and they played more aggressively. Jo Lonn Dunbar came back. This defense could be one of the best, but they're not there yet.

On the offensive side, they obviously started out pass first. They tried to do something that only saw limited success because of Bradford. In a way, I think that's schedule because I think they felt like they had to go to the air. Then they got "conservative", started using their tight ends more in the run game and let the offensive line attack defenses. You also have to consider is that Richardson got injured and Zac Stacy really came on for them who is much more suited to the power run game.

All around I think schedule has a lot to do with it. No two ways about it, I think the Titans game could easily have been a Rams win had Bradford been in that game. We can win games when we can rush effectively. The 49ers will not be an easy game though.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Oddly enough we've scored more points at times with Bradford out, but look at KC's stats. Yesterday he was 10-22 for 167 yards and 1 TD. Week prior 9/16 and his yards and stats wer're all TA. So completing 20 passes in TWO games isn't lighting the world on fire. The difference to me is the defense creating TO's and the running game has been lights out.
The loonies on the PD think Kellen is our savior. IMO, if Bradord never got hurt we'd be 7-4 or 6-5 at worst.
Kellen has been a huge gamer and I have nothing bad to say about him (other than the 2 picks against SEA :frown:)
But there is no way I take Kellen over Sam. Ever.

A55VA6

Legend
It's better but not because Bradford is out. Schotty is doing a great job, Tavon's getting highly involved, run game is great. I think this team is finally coming together. Let's hope we can bring it into next year from the start.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
First off it has nothing to do with Bradford being gone... it has to do with a few valid points starting with the most important: 1. Schotty finally seems to have gotten the message and is calling a damn decent offensive game plan FINALLY!!! 2. We have decided to commit to the running game and Zach Stacy and Benny C. have responded in turn, thankyou coach Fisher for ripping Schotty to accomplish this. 3. Offensive line is healthy, the 5 best O Linemen playing, and we have Saffold playing lights out at RG not bitching.

You can't tell me Clemens is the answer or better or comparable to Sam. You see those horrible passes Sam could have made with ease yesterday that Kellen threw horribly? With that being said Kelen is managing the game and playing lights out for his ability. I'm damn impressed!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oddly enough we've scored more points at times with Bradford out, but look at KC's stats. Yesterday he was 10-22 for 167 yards and 1 TD. Week prior 9/16 and his yards and stats wer're all TA. So completing 20 passes in TWO games isn't lighting the world on fire. The difference to me is the defense creating TO's and the running game has been lights out.
The loonies on the PD think Kellen is our savior. IMO, if Bradord never got hurt we'd be 7-4 or 6-5 at worst.
Kellen has been a huge gamer and I have nothing bad to say about him (other than the 2 picks against SEA :frown:)
But there is no way I take Kellen over Sam. Ever.

Pretty much.

Rams didn't really attempt to pass much yesterday.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Pretty much.

Rams didn't really attempt to pass much yesterday.

Yup. I think people need to really understand that if Sam was getting the running game and defense Kellen is getting our record would be way different.
Sam may not be Peyton Manning but his numbers we're pretty damn good with no running game to speak of.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think it made our offense grow up faster than they were before, because they were relying too much on Bradford and were hoping for him to make a superstar out of them for them, now that he's gone it's all up to them to make their mark.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
The only thing I see that's different from KC and Bradford is KC gives no fucks and will throw the ball were ever and takes risks were Bradford is more technical and seems worried to make mistakes. other then that I think our offence is just clicking better with Stacy's run presence and guys showing up now. not to mention out D is making plays!

Last edited by a moderator:

RamEERS

Pastor
it all starts with the run game like most said... Richardson just ran straight into the line in hopes of breaking free and pead had butterfingers.. the opponents had no fear with those at RB and often came out with nickel formations... with stacy, things changed and now teams has to plan for it... if you have a run game.. it opens up the passing game... simple as that... schott is still average in a sense... it's just that his scheme is working because stacy saved him

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time. That place makes the characters from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest look like a nuclear physics think tank.