Is our offense better because Bradford got hurt (not a bashing thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Why is the offense better

• More commitment to running game/improved running game

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Improvement due to experience of younger players

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Other reason that I'll add in the thread

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The only thing I see that's different from KC and Bradford is KC gives no fucks and will throw the ball were ever and takes risks were Bradford is more technical and seems worried to make mistakes. other then that I think our offence is just clicking better with Stacy's run presence and guys showing up now. not to mention out D is making plays!

I wouldn't agree that KC takes more chances than SB. There are plenty of examples on tape where receivers were open but KC missed them and checked it down to Stacy. Bradford has the stronger arm and took chances to givens and Austin but they were called back or didn't connect. Bradford checked it down often because he NO RUN GAME and LESS TIME to throw as a result.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Dang, I was just bragging about how this board didn't have any threads about Clemens vs. Bradford. Oh well, here's the numbers for those that like that sort of thing:

Sam's numbers since the Rams figured out how to generate a running game/changed approach/started to gel/however one wants to explain it(JAX, @HOU, @CAR):
52/80(65%) 594 yards(7.4) 7TD([hl]8.75%[/hl]) 1INT(1.25%) 111.1 rating

Imagine adding the 60 yarder to Austin that got called back and the 30 yarder by Quick that got dropped.
54/80(68%) 684 yards(8.25) 9TD([hl]11.25%[/hl]) 1INT(1.25%) 126.2 rating

Clemens' 4 games so far:
56/108(52%) 800 yards(7.4) 4TD([hl]3.7%[/hl]) 2INT(1.9%) 80.8 rating

The highlighted portion is what I think is most pertinent. If Bradford is so much less aggressive with his passes, why is his TD production so much better? And as someone pointed out, Clemens was the beneficiary of some run after catch that Bradford rarely gets.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Yup. I can't tell if it's several guys with the same agenda or one guy with 10 handles. But it's post after post of Bradford sucks, Bradford mom's. It's so stupid I hardly go over there anymore.
At first it's kinda funny. But after a while you literally want to hunt the guy down and beat the tar out of em'.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
yes, it has been better. but it would be even better if this running game was accompanied by a healthy bradford.

i think it unfortuntaely took sb to get hurt for schotty to utilize the running game much more

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think the reason the team is playing better would still exist from the experience and the re commitment and added focus .

For me Sam coming back will only make us UNSTOPPABLE

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't agree that KC takes more chances than SB. There are plenty of examples on tape where receivers were open but KC missed them and checked it down to Stacy. Bradford has the stronger arm and took chances to givens and Austin but they were called back or didn't connect. Bradford checked it down often because he NO RUN GAME and LESS TIME to throw as a result.

As of right now these are the averages, I like Bradford btw. Well have to wait and see them once Clemens gets more games in.

Bradford
Average yards gained per pass attempt - 6.4
Average yards gained per pass completion - 10.6
Long ball - 73

Clemens
Average yards gained per pass attempt - 7.4
Average yards gained per pass completion - 14.3
Long ball - 81

lasvegasrams

Rookie
As of right now these are the averages, I like Bradford btw.

Bradford
Long ball - 73

Clemens
Long ball - 81

Interesting stats. The fact that Clemens throws it 20 times less a game than Sam averaged, and Sam having a minimal to no running game makes his numbers even more impressive..

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The up surge of offense is due to the running game.
For the fans that think Clemens is the ans. face a team that the Rams can't run on or get behind late in the game and see how that works out.
I think Clemens is playing the best ball of his life, but he's still limited.

Psycho_X

Legend
According to Bernie's new article titled Fisher partying like it's 1999, Bradford's stats since they implemented the new run approach offense with STacy at the helm are all better then Clemens by a long shot. Copy and paste this from another site I wrote but this is how it breaks down according to Bernie's statistics here.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2590a7f8-0084-51f3-96de-cfe76213b1c0.html

Bradford has the same yards per attempt since the new offense was established (.01 better but who's counting)

Bradford has a 7:1 td:int ratio compare to Clemens 2:1

Bradford's completion percentage is 13% better than Clemens

For the season, Bradford got sacked 2.15 times a game where Clemens gets sacked 2.2 times a game (and Bradfords sack numbers include the first 4 games of hell). If Clemens has better footwork in pocket it isn't helping him not get sacked.

Clemens has a slightly better rushing average if that means something course he's also lost 3 fumbles compared to Bradford's 1.

Of course there's the 111 QB rating compared to 80 part also since the new offense was put into play.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
As of right now these are the averages, I like Bradford btw. Well have to wait and see them once Clemens gets more games in.

Bradford
Long ball - 73

Clemens
Long ball - 81

1 yard per attempts...and 4 per compltetion more. Wow.

Tavon having his 2 YAC games kinda helps.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
1 yard per attempts...and 4 per compltetion more. Wow.

Tavon having his 2 YAC games kinda helps.

I'm trying to figure out why people get defensive when I'm posting stats, were is my thread/post were I'm attacking Bradford and saying KC is the best QB or better? there isn't one.

I can find 100000 posts of people complaining about 2 yard pass's, no deep balls the 1st half of the season and now everyone is acting like it never happened lol. :lol:

Lesson

Oh, really?
I think the O's gameplan has changed quite a bit since Bradford went down. Part of that having to do with Clemens(not knocking him, he's been getting better every week) and Austin's development.

The D has also been playing better as of late, which allows the Rams O to not have to force the ball as much down the field to win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is just one opinion, but stats (pro or con) sometimes are just a poor substitute for what your eyes tell you. Love me some Kell, but he's not as good as Sam on multiple levels.

But he doesn't have to be either. Good teams find a way to win regardless of the circumstances. We appear to have a good team now, so...

Go Kellen. It's ya birthday. :woot:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
probably gonna catch hell for this again, but bradford is not that much, if any, better than clemens at qb. sure things changed game plan wise but we are also spreading the ball around and taking some shots down the field. is that because of the dedication to the plan change?? lmaybe. i also would like to think taht the team has the mentality to "do more" individually after losing their starting qb. tavon seems to have caught on, our dline shows up yesterday (actually my fav part of the day where the goal line stands). anyway, to aonswer the question, yoes it think that it is obvious that our offense is way better (for whatever reason, because im sure that a few wont think bradford had anything to do with it) than when we had bradford in there.

How is it that so many seem to think that they are NOW taking some shots downfield, as opposed to prior to Bradford being injured. I am of the opinion, they took even more shots downfield with Bradford, but those get lost in the shuffle because when Bradford was on the field, the temptation to throw the ball 35+ times was so much greater with him than it is with Clemens. Clemens has COMPLETED 19 passes in the last TWO victories, because he has thrown a combined 38 times.

That is a typical afternoon with Bradford. And being that he was completing passes at a 60%+ rate, he would have more than likely completed 25 of those. That being said, there would have been many more of those additional completions which would NOT have been "shots down the field". Notice I didn't say, there wouldn't have been AS MANY!!! just not the same percentage.

Look at the Carolina game for example, before being injured, he had already attempted 30 passes. Completed 21 for a 70%. The very first play of the game, which resulted in a pick six, (due to poor blitz pickup by Stacy) was supposed to be a deep ball to Quick, which they came back and ran on the first play of the 2nd half for a 73 yd completion. Also, lost in that game was what would have been a LONG TD pass to Austin, which was called back on the tripping call. There was also a completion to Quick on an intermediate (22 yr) dig route over the middle.

So, IMO, its not like they suddenly have made the decision to "take shots down the field" because of Clemens, but the times they do in fact attempt it now stand out much more for the simple fact they are NOT THROWING THE BALL as often. Add to that, the impact the running game has in terms of the coverages Clemens gets, and how play action now is a real threat. All things Bradford did not have at his disposal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After our next loss; Clemens will be a bum again.

That's pretty much how it goes in every corner of cyberspace, except here.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm trying to figure out why people get defensive when I'm posting stats, were is my thread/post were I'm attacking Bradford and saying KC is the best QB or better? there isn't one.

I can find 100000 posts of people complaining about 2 yard pass's, no deep balls the 1st half of the season and now everyone is acting like it never happened lol. :lol:

Well I didn't metion Sam vs. Kell.

I think every stat is skewed in some way and doesn't tell the whole story. My mantra is "it's an ugly game tried to make pretty w/ stats."

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

I can find 100000 posts of people complaining about 2 yard pass's, no deep balls the 1st half of the season
and now everyone is acting like it never happened lol. :lol:

Link please, I'd like to see WHERE ya got those figures,not saying I'm part of the "everyone" just wanting to see if you were a man of your word:wow::yousure::bigup:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Link please, I'd like to see WHERE ya got those figures,not saying I'm part of the "everyone" just wanting to see if you were a man of your word:wow::yousure::bigup:

Once you honor your word, ill honor mine. still haven't got my "Like"

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Once you honor your word, ill honor mine. still haven't got my "Like"

I gave you a like on another post ,so pony up the 10,000 posts,I'll even go back to the links and give you some. May I suggest you combine your exhibits in a PDF? If you intend to be a man of your word,OK I went back to the Stacy thread ,couldn't give likes on the links they didn't bring up "like" so I liked the Stacy post where you linked them.
See ya back here in a week with those 10k posts, PDF K?

Last edited by a moderator: