Is Nick Foles the guy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Come on, man. You don't actually believe this.
Man, I'm just frustrated with this offense. Year after year, no matter the QB, we're just flat out bad.

We're dead last in total offense and our next 2 opponents are on the road in Arizona and Green Bay. 1-4 is pretty likely. This team needs to figure out how to score points real quick.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Once Foles learns to block, catch and call offensive plays he'll be the guy. Until then he's JAG.

I wish I could say I'm surprised this thread is even getting a run but I'm not. We could have any QB running our offense and 50% of the fans here wouldn't want him. Just another day in the life as a Rams fan

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, I'm just frustrated with this offense. Year after year, no matter the QB, we're just flat out bad.

We're dead last in total offense and our next 2 opponents are on the road in Arizona and Green Bay. 1-4 is pretty likely. This team needs to figure out how to score points real quick.

We all are. But the top QBs in the NFL would have our offense looking good. They'd be outplaying Foles. The pass protection has actually been pretty decent. The WRs and TEs have dropped some balls but Foles has also missed some opportunities with poor throws and decisions.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Three games in and people are herding Foles into the goat pen?

Seriously?

We won't even know who Foles is in this O until week 8 or 9.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
The 11 positions aren't equal in level of importance and it's not close - at all.

Name a good NFL offense that doesn't have a good QB.

Or ....

Name a bad NFL offense with a good QB.

It's not that easy. But Ill bet it's a lot easier with every other position.

Don't tell Trent Dilfer that in 2000.That may be however as evident in the last two loses(defense weak against the run,dropped passes,poor run blocking and poor pass protection),it takes more than a quarterback to win as quarterbacks are dependent on these factors to win.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Right now Luck is the worst QB in the league. Think that might have something to do with his "supporting" cast?

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Yep....Foles is the answer. ....and it will be easy to see looking back after 16 games into the season....it just may not seem as obvious 3 games in.

Go Rams...... ;)

Penguin.

Rookie
I'd prefer Johnny. At least he can run away from the horrendous offensive line play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd prefer Johnny. At least he can run away from the horrendous offensive line play.

The Rams are currently 11th in the NFL in total sacks allowed and 18th in the NFL in total pressure allowed. The OL has been god awful when it comes to run blocking but they've actually been fairly competent when it comes to pass blocking.

RamsFan14

Starter
The Rams are currently 11th in the NFL in total sacks allowed and 18th in the NFL in total pressure allowed. The OL has been god awful when it comes to run blocking but they've actually been fairly competent when it comes to pass blocking.

I do agree that the OL pass blocking has been solid, not great but better than I expected. However, what good is it going to do if we are always in 3rd and long? Foles is expected to not turn the ball over, and being put in 3rd and long just spells a punt most of the time. Most of the time you're just gana dump it off. You cannot convert those long distances consistently, but 3rd and 5? I expect him to get the first down more times than not. It'd be interesting to see how he's been doing on 3rd down and w/e distance. I think Foles' QBR speaks for itself (not saying the stat is great), he's been slightly below average.

To me, Foles has looked fine in both of his home games. We NEED to run the ball effectively and then I think he'll play better football. I still remain adamant that Foles is great off the play action passes and can make any throw in the playbook... I just want to see our running backs get some yards, with a good YPC.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all are. But the top QBs in the NFL would have our offense looking good. They'd be outplaying Foles. The pass protection has actually been pretty decent. The WRs and TEs have dropped some balls but Foles has also missed some opportunities with poor throws and decisions.
The top QBs in the league are also likely better offensive minds than our coaching staff.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still think it's too early. I think he could perform well enough in the right system but I'm not sure if our system is that. Our O-line, WRs, and TEs certainly don't help, either.

Agree here...I thinking he can be still but I do know that several other starting offensive Rams are Not the guy.

For one, calling Jared Cook a TE is just plain wrong:palm:. Any play that required Jared to block @ any time should be thrown out of the playbook. Jared is Not the guy to line up & play @ TE. Jared is just a pass receiver end of story.

Using WR Tavon Austin as your starting outside WR & expecting him to make plays from that position:confused:? Not the guy, I would start Stedman Bailey who is the guy(y).

One would have thought that our defense would have gave the offense many more opportunities to spend more time on the field together getting the OL broke in and all the gears oiled & spurs knocked off.....When you look at the stats you will see that Gregg's top 6 DB's have played a major role in tackles thus far:eek:....far more than top starts like DE's Quinn & Long. This OL needs to get broke in and at this rate it may take the entire 2015 season for Foles OL to get things figured out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In Fisher's perfect world (where they have a top 5 defense, a top 5 rushing attack, and best, most innovative special teams in the league), Foles is a perfect candidate to be the guy.

Is he ever going to be Peyton, Brady, Luck, Rodgers, or even Wilson? Probably not, but he might be Eli, and Eli has 2 Championships. Personally, I hate how "important" the QB is in the NFL. I think it is a bogus perpetual motion machine that ensures only super stars win championships, and only a handful of men in the entire world are able to play the position.

Someday, a coach (I thought it would be Kelly, but now I am not so sure) is going to bring an innovative spread offense to the NFL that takes advantage of above average athletes at the skill positions (which the NFL has in spades, and are quite a bit easier to find and draft) and doesn't require pro bowlers at 3 out of 5 OLine positions and a transcendent QB talent to win a championship. If the spread offense is responsible for more o linemen and QBs being ill prepared after they are drafted (which many higher level personnel people in the NFL are starting to believe more and more), then it make sense to tailor an offense that would take advantage of the plentiful WRs, RBs, and TEs coming out of college every year from all levels of collegiate football rather than suck for a decade + until you get a generational QB talent.

I really don't think the spread will ever work against good NFL defenses. The spread hits all areas of the field and dissects weaknesses. That is something that is lacking in the NFL on defense.

It's a curse as well as a beautiful asset....I love the high deep ball, but I'd like him to bring a bunch of his throws down...Like that last one to Britt coulda been a little lowers, & his INT to Kendricks coulda been put more on a line too...just hung too long.
The waiting makes it look like he doesn't know where to really go with the ball...The game is different when bullets are flying...

The Rams don't have one receiver that is built for the high deep ball and that is Britt. Cook is not one to fight for the jump ball nor high point it. Kendricks neither for that matter. Tavon and Stedman are too short for that game. Maybe Quick can fit into that type of a passing game but where is he?

What I really worry with in Foles is just what you said. The waiting makes it look like he doesn't know where to go with the ball. Does he need more time in the offense? Does he need more time to figure out who he can rely on? Or does he just process information too slowly?

In general I think Fisher runs the same offense that he has always run. Sure some guys like Heimerdinger tweaked it but he likes the power run scheme with a good Oline the QB and receivers are complimentary to him........which I hate. His most successful years were with a mobile QB and a good go to receiver that works mid range and underneath routes. (again Amendola would fit this offense perfectly) Mix in a deep threat and a physical pass catching TE and he had all of the pieces.

So what does he have? A stiff QB (again) Two smaller receivers that don't have the hands or the instincts to be an Amendola. No deep speed/size combo unless maybe Quick comes back, No physical pass catching TE. In otherwords he really botched putting together this receiving corps and his QB cant scramble. Pass catchers have to be on the menu for next offseason IMO.

I don't think Foles is the guy. And sorry @12intheBox I don't think that shrimp Manziel is either. We need a QB with a modicum of mobility.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Right now my question is which of these wr and TE is the guy? If a couple of them could get open once in a while and then actually catch the ball, Foles would be looking pretty good.

Irish

Starter
I really don't think the spread will ever work against good NFL defenses. The spread hits all areas of the field and dissects weaknesses. That is something that is lacking in the NFL on defense.

See, I think that's bologna. College football has blurred the lines so much, especially in the power conferences, that these guys are running pro defenses in college on their first days of camp their freshman years. The spread works because of superior athletes, and ability to improvise.

NFL offenses are way too regimented. They rely too much on one guy's decision making and ability to think 3 steps ahead that it limits creativity and the talent pool of candidates. You shouldn't have to be a chess grandmaster and a Spelling Bee champion to play Quarterback in the NFL. You sure as hell don't need to be that was at any other position.

At the end of the day, its football. Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton, and even RGIII pre-ACL and meltdown have had HUGE success running a hybrid spread offense that allows them to use their superior athletic ability and SIMPLE pre snap reads, and the first two have went to, and won, Superbowls doing that. Its not like defenses watched one week of game film and rendered these guys ineffective; they still kick butt every week (Kaepernick not so much, but he lost literally everyone of significance other the summer). They still run around the yard, hand the ball off, and escape trouble and make big gains on broken plays. You can sit and wait for the generational talent, but you roll the dice just as much with those guys. For me, I don't see any value in sucking for a decade+ waiting for Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning because you can just as easily end up with Sam Bradford and out of a precious #1 overall pick.

The game needs simplifying.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
See, I think that's bologna. College football has blurred the lines so much, especially in the power conferences, that these guys are running pro defenses in college on their first days of camp their freshman years. The spread works because of superior athletes, and ability to improvise.

NFL offenses are way too regimented. They rely too much on one guy's decision making and ability to think 3 steps ahead that it limits creativity and the talent pool of candidates. You shouldn't have to be a chess grandmaster and a Spelling Bee champion to play Quarterback in the NFL. You sure as hell don't need to be that was at any other position.

At the end of the day, its football. Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton, and even RGIII pre-ACL and meltdown have had HUGE success running a hybrid spread offense that allows them to use their superior athletic ability and SIMPLE pre snap reads, and the first two have went to, and won, Superbowls doing that. Its not like defenses watched one week of game film and rendered these guys ineffective; they still kick butt every week (Kaepernick not so much, but he lost literally everyone of significance other the summer). They still run around the yard, hand the ball off, and escape trouble and make big gains on broken plays. You can sit and wait for the generational talent, but you roll the dice just as much with those guys. For me, I don't see any value in sucking for a decade+ waiting for Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning because you can just as easily end up with Sam Bradford and out of a precious #1 overall pick.

They run the Read option not the spread. Besides Fisher showed how to beat the read option and now it is much less affective. Plus teams realize they are allowed to hit the QB if it is a running play and nobody wants their QB hit all the time. I still disagree with your ideas on the spread. PSU ran the same defense that Seattle does. A base cover 3 and didn't stray from it much if at all. They always matched up very well against the spread, with exception of the years that their secondary was not good.........which they never had NFL quality in the secondary, but some years it was very bad. They still managed well against spread offenses for the most part. Oregon always struggles against good defenses. Good defenses trump spread offenses, even in college. But that does not bother an NCAA coach because if they win 6-10 games there jobs are reasonably safe most years. Getting in bowls makes people forget things quick. NFL coaches don't have that luxury.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

They run the Read option not the spread. Besides Fisher showed how to beat the read option and now it is much less affective. Plus teams realize they are allowed to hit the QB if it is a running play and nobody wants their QB hit all the time. I still disagree with your ideas on the spread. PSU ran the same defense that Seattle does. A base cover 3 and didn't stray from it much if at all. They always matched up very well against the spread, with exception of the years that their secondary was not good.........which they never had NFL quality in the secondary, but some years it was very bad. They still managed well against spread offenses for the most part. Oregon always struggles against good defenses. Good defenses trump spread offenses, even in college. But that does not bother an NCAA coach because if they win 6-10 games there jobs are reasonably safe most years. Getting in bowls makes people forget things quick. NFL coaches don't have that luxury.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Damn right he is the guy! I guarantee it! Don't believe me? See who starts Sunday! He'll continue to be the guy until...............................he's not the guy.:shades:

Next question.