Is Nick Foles the guy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'll admit that it's just too early for threads like this one. It's been 3 games. Let's give the guy a chance, right?

I didn't like the trade much - I didn't mind dumping Sam and his contract, I loved that we got the 2nd rounder, but I guess I just had a hard time believing Foles was the guy. I wanted to make a deal w the Browns and bring Johnny Football to town. (I took quite a verbal beating here about that)

Then I went to camp and saw nothing that made me question my initial assessment - he looks like a journeyman QB or a quality backup.

Then the Rams all of a sudden wanted to extend him. I understand that to some degree - these guys don't grow on trees. But shouldn't we have seen some live bullets first?

Then he came out and played well in week 1. Not lights out - he still had the same pocket panic that I just can't stand - but well enough.

Then we go two weeks with no offense. At all.

So I ask. Is he the guy?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
To be fair, Foles really wasnt at fault for the lack of offense vs the steelers (aside from the int). For the most part, the offense moved the ball quite well, but had their drives stalled due to drops on well placed passes. And all that was without much of a running game. So idk if its fair to put blame on Foles for lack of points last game. With all that said, I dont think foles is a guy that can lead a team to victory, but if the D can play up to its potential each week and be a dominate unit week in and week out, then yes Foles is the answer because hes good enough to get the job done offensively and wont cost too much. IMO the problem right now is drops and lack of running lanes

FRO

Legend
Same story, until we get better upfront and at receiver, it will be hard for any QB to do well. It's time we dump Cook and Kendricks and it's time we finally add a legitimate number 1 WR.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can he read the defense and adjust the play pre snap?

That's really what I want out of a QB. Be our on field offensive coordinator. See what they are giving up - move to a play that takes advantage - even if it's a run - there is huge value in that.

When was the last time we saw an audible at the line? Are we too young and inexperienced for that?

FRO

Legend

That's really what I want out of a QB. Be out on field offensive coordinator. See what they are giving up - move to a play that takes advantage - even if it's a run - there is huge value in that.

When was the last time we saw an audible at the line? Are we too young and inexperienced for that?
He has made some audibles. Yesterday he audibled a run to a pass to Tavon. His line and playmakers just suck. Not sure he is the answer though and I don't see him as much better than a middle of the pack guy, but he can be a solid QB for us, we just have to do better around him. Fisher and Snead have built a below average supporting cast and line. Now the line could develop and become good, the receivers aren't going to get any better sadly.

Irish

Starter
In Fisher's perfect world (where they have a top 5 defense, a top 5 rushing attack, and best, most innovative special teams in the league), Foles is a perfect candidate to be the guy.

Is he ever going to be Peyton, Brady, Luck, Rodgers, or even Wilson? Probably not, but he might be Eli, and Eli has 2 Championships. Personally, I hate how "important" the QB is in the NFL. I think it is a bogus perpetual motion machine that ensures only super stars win championships, and only a handful of men in the entire world are able to play the position.

Someday, a coach (I thought it would be Kelly, but now I am not so sure) is going to bring an innovative spread offense to the NFL that takes advantage of above average athletes at the skill positions (which the NFL has in spades, and are quite a bit easier to find and draft) and doesn't require pro bowlers at 3 out of 5 OLine positions and a transcendent QB talent to win a championship. If the spread offense is responsible for more o linemen and QBs being ill prepared after they are drafted (which many higher level personnel people in the NFL are starting to believe more and more), then it make sense to tailor an offense that would take advantage of the plentiful WRs, RBs, and TEs coming out of college every year from all levels of collegiate football rather than suck for a decade + until you get a generational QB talent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like what I've seen from him but yesterday was Bradfordesque. Victim of drops, untimely penalties and poor oline blocking. Good production but no points.

jjab360

Legend
I don't know if he'll ever be a pro bowler again, but I could see him being as good as Carson Palmer who seems to be enjoying a bit of a career resurgence. You can make the playoffs and maybe even a Super Bowl if the surrounding cast is great enough around a Carson Palmer.

Irish

Starter
I don't know if he'll ever be a pro bowler again, but I could see him being as good as Carson Palmer who seems to be enjoying a bit of a career resurgence. You can make the playoffs and maybe even a Super Bowl if the surrounding cast is great enough around a Carson Palmer.

There are probably 15+ teams that would love to have 2015 Carson Palmer as their starting QB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh c'mon man.

If just one dropped pass gets completed, this is a different game.

Nick Foles didn't do anything to lose the game. He made a whopping one bad decision. He's human, playing a tough game in which shit happens.

Please, let's not try to make problems that aren't really there.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh c'mon man.

If just one dropped pass gets completed, this is a different game.

Nick Foles didn't do anything to lose the game. He made a whopping one bad decision. He's human, playing a tough game in which crap happens.

Please, let's not try to make problems that aren't really there.

Even if Kendricks catches that long one and we score - that means me we put up 13 pts at home (sort of) on a defense that isn't very good and is missing their best player.

Of course, had we won - I probably would not have posted this - so perhaps you have a point.

Still, when you have the worst offense in the league - questions are fair game.

Athos

Legend
TBD.

Admittedly early, the O-Line is playing like shit, WRs cannot separate, and you have numbnut plays like the Kendricks drop, and Cookie not being fully in the game for 60 minutes.

I haven't liked a lot of what we see....

So pretty much.

I'm unsure if we've found our franchise QB yet, or if we just have a place holder.

I tell you what though.

This team HAS to win now. Because, with all those 1st round D players....eventually, they're gonna wanna get paid.

A55VA6

Legend
He might be. He's only played 3 games as a Ram with a bad OL and no running game. When Foles has been given time, he makes some big throws - like we saw against Seattle. Put Brady, Manning, Wilson, Roethlisberger, etc on the Rams and I doubt they would have much more success than Foles.

V3

Hall of Fame

That's really what I want out of a QB. Be our on field offensive coordinator. See what they are giving up - move to a play that takes advantage - even if it's a run - there is huge value in that.

I'm not sure if Fisher/Cigs allows the QB to be the on-field OC.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still think it's too early. I think he could perform well enough in the right system but I'm not sure if our system is that. Our O-line, WRs, and TEs certainly don't help, either.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
In Fisher's perfect world (where they have a top 5 defense, a top 5 rushing attack, and best, most innovative special teams in the league), Foles is a perfect candidate to be the guy.

Is he ever going to be Peyton, Brady, Luck, Rodgers, or even Wilson? Probably not, but he might be Eli, and Eli has 2 Championships. Personally, I hate how "important" the QB is in the NFL. I think it is a bogus perpetual motion machine that ensures only super stars win championships, and only a handful of men in the entire world are able to play the position.

Someday, a coach (I thought it would be Kelly, but now I am not so sure) is going to bring an innovative spread offense to the NFL that takes advantage of above average athletes at the skill positions (which the NFL has in spades, and are quite a bit easier to find and draft) and doesn't require pro bowlers at 3 out of 5 OLine positions and a transcendent QB talent to win a championship. If the spread offense is responsible for more o linemen and QBs being ill prepared after they are drafted (which many higher level personnel people in the NFL are starting to believe more and more), then it make sense to tailor an offense that would take advantage of the plentiful WRs, RBs, and TEs coming out of college every year from all levels of collegiate football rather than suck for a decade + until you get a generational QB talent.
Good Post. I've had similar thoughts on Kelly as well. That's sort of why I have favored bringing in up and coming talent from the college ranks to lead the organization rather than a retread off the old coach carousel. Maybe not Kelly but someone with plan as you elaborated to fit the current talent pool economy.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I think he can be, lets not forget how young he is. I think he can and will improve as the year goes on and the other guys could help him out a lot more than they have so far.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Is he the guy? Not sure what the question actually is, but gotta' bail and say it's really too early to tell.
I think he's very good when he pulls the trigger immediately - 2nd and 3rd receivers, not so much. I just don't know at this point how much of that is on the WRs, but I think most of it is.
I do remember watching him in Philly and thinking "no wonder he doesn't throw INTs - he's very cautious in the pocket". Now I wonder if he sees the other WRs.
A lot of his TDs in Philly were to Cooper also, because their best (and double) coverage was on Jackson. Maybe teams got tape on him after Seattle, where he looked pretty good.
So this was a very long non-answer. Short answer is, overall I think we're better off than we were with SB. Signing Toon tells me a lot as well about his WR support (or lack thereof).