Is Nick Foles the guy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Absolutely. And right now I'll say the Rams were wise to lock him up.

Once they settle the OL and get Gurley rolling at RB, I have a feeling Foles will be looking very, very good. He actually did enough to win yesterday in spite of not playing well. For whatever reason the team slipped back to the same old habits of dropping key passes, but Foles is so upbeat and has such good leadership skills I think as the OL matures the offense will start making good strides.

Note that I don't think we're gonna have a great offense, that ship has obviously sailed. But I think this offense can at least get to the point where they can challenge a defense weekly in the run game and bust big plays from the backfield and play action.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He might be. He's only played 3 games as a Ram with a bad OL and no running game. When Foles has been given time, he makes some big throws - like we saw against Seattle. Put Brady, Manning, Wilson, Roethlisberger, etc on the Rams and I doubt they would have much more success than Foles.

Come on, man. You don't actually believe this.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
He looks better than Bradford in Philly, and he sure as hell looks better than any of our backups the last two years.

To be honest, we have other things to be more concerned about than our QB being "the guy." For example, execution on a consistent basis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He is the guy, right now. Will he end up being the guy to take us to the next level? I have some concerns. He has some good attributes.

RamsFan14

Starter
In my opinion? Yes, I think he has the potential to be the guy. I believe can be above average, he has all the tools. He's got guts, he'll make the difficult throws down the field. I just want to see him consistently make good decisions and stay on top of his mechanics. I'm a bit surprised by some of the responses. The Redskins game was an all around bad offensive performance, yesterday I feel like Foles and Britt showed up to the game, everyone else on offense not as much. Foles pushed the ball down the field, and yea he got picked making a play... Happens when you're pressing for some big plays. How about that drop by Kendricks? That off-sides by Cook (which probably would have been a TD!!!)? The constant penalties made it SO difficult to finish drives...

Anyway... I feel like he's shown quite a bit with NO running game. He's been amazing off the play action passes... Idk how he's been successful, cause we can't run the ball with our RBs!!! If we can get our running game fixed, feel like Foles will play much better. But he's shown in my eyes he can do a bit of everything. It's about staying consistent in the mechanics and decision making. His decision making has been fairly solid up to this point.

fancents86

Starter
Shoulda saw this thread before I posted In the "whining" thread. My comment would have been a bit different.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I still would rather have Foles than Bradford. Number #1 reason is the toughness. A more respected QB than Bradford. Better getting rid of the ball when in trouble. Better pocket awareness. The Pittsburgh game was a win in my opinion, with out the penalties and dropped passes.
and no eye rolls.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is the guy, right now. Will he end up being the guy to take us to the next level? I have some concerns. He has some good attributes.

My biggest issue is that his deep accuracy and touch are poor.(I also think he gets happy feet when he anticipates a blitz)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He will be when he gets comfortable with the offense and develops a rapport with the receivers. Right now he's just feeling his way and gets a little gun shy when things aren't immediately there for the taking. But just like Bradford before him, he's gonna need a truly solid and dependable #1 type receiver in the Andre Johnson mold before he can truly loosen up. You know, IMO.

RamsFan14

Starter
My biggest issue is that his deep accuracy and touch are poor.(I also think he gets happy feet when he anticipates a blitz)

Yea, oddly enough he hasn't hit on a deep pass yet. Sure his deep throws haven't been very good, but I mean they are a low % throws, and I feel like his mid range throws have been pretty good up to this point. But yea, would like to see him connect on those deep 1 on 1 passes. He needs to hit Austin.

The thing I really like about him is that he has the guts to make any throw. Love Bradford and all, but man he was super conservative in my eyes, just a ton of short passes. Foles has already proven to me he'll press the ball down the field. JMO

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He will be when he gets comfortable with the offense and develops a rapport with the receivers. Right now he's just feeling his way and gets a little gun shy when things aren't immediately there for the taking. But just like Bradford before him, he's gonna need a truly solid and dependable #1 type receiver in the Andre Johnson mold before he can truly loosen up. You know, IMO.
Comfortable, for me, is a great word, when discussing, Foles. I don't want to tear him down. He doesn't look comfortable, but you rarely get a chance to be truly comfortable, in the NFL.

3rd down is huge, when I evaluate a QB, and I have a set of criteria, which I use to judge a QB. The W, is also huge to me, when I evaluate a QB's play. I don't give a squat about a QB's stats, other than 3rd down %, and W's.

I'll continue to cut him some slack, until his role is more defined, he fully learns this offense, and has a chance to gain chemistry, with his backs, WR's, and OL.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Even if Kendricks catches that long one and we score - that means me we put up 13 pts at home (sort of) on a defense that isn't very good and is missing their best player.

Of course, had we won - I probably would not have posted this - so perhaps you have a point.

Still, when you have the worst offense in the league - questions are fair game.

Not when said questions aren't the main reason of a loss. Nick Foles is the least of this team's problems right now.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I'll admit that it's just too early for threads like this one. It's been 3 games. Let's give the guy a chance, right?

I didn't like the trade much - I didn't mind dumping Sam and his contract, I loved that we got the 2nd rounder, but I guess I just had a hard time believing Foles was the guy. I wanted to make a deal w the Browns and bring Johnny Football to town. (I took quite a verbal beating here about that)

Then I went to camp and saw nothing that made me question my initial assessment - he looks like a journeyman QB or a quality backup.

Then the Rams all of a sudden wanted to extend him. I understand that to some degree - these guys don't grow on trees. But shouldn't we have seen some live bullets first?

Then he came out and played well in week 1. Not lights out - he still had the same pocket panic that I just can't stand - but well enough.

Then we go two weeks with no offense. At all.

So I ask. Is he the guy?
What do you think? :)

RyPUd4k.gif

fearsomefr

UDFA
Name
JP
In a word, no.
But, it depends what "the guy" means. Can he win games on a team that is functioning well and has an O that works? Certainly. He has proven that. He does some things well. He is not a turnover machine. But, he is not a guy who is going to win games with a team on his shoulders generally. But, thats ok. If the plan for the team comes to fruition Foles can fill the roll. He can still improve on his weaknesses as well.
Who knows.
I am not a big fan of Foles overall because of some of the things his game tends to lack. But, he is the Rams QB for the near future, so, I certainly am pulling for him. Patience will be key as much for the team around him as for Foles himself. The unit has to work as a whole (running game, play action) for him to be successful I think.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Yes... to make it short and sweet I'd rather have him than any other qb we have has the last few years including Bradford. Yes he gets shaky when pressure is there but he is a player.

Bradford would have dinked and dunked this offense to death, Foles will atleast take a shot down the field. He is our qb for the next few years at least but we still need to develop Mannion or draft a high rounder at the least

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Too soon to say. I do know that i don't like his molasses-in-winter-time release.

fearsomefr

UDFA
Name
JP
Yes... to make it short and sweet I'd rather have him than any other qb we have has the last few years including Bradford. Yes he gets shaky when pressure is there but he is a player.

Bradford would have dinked and dunked this offense to death, Foles will atleast take a shot down the field. He is our qb for the next few years at least but we still need to develop Mannion or draft a high rounder at the least
30 of 54 completions by Foles have gone to RBs and TEs.
I don't see the difference. This passing game has mostly been dink and dunk. The main cause is third and longs. The D better dictate where the ball is going to go by coverages and blitzes on 3rd and long. Just as Foles isn't the main problem now Bradford wasn't then. The Rams leading rusher is Austin with 50 something yards in three games. This O was sold as a power running game with a downfield passing element. There has been zero running game leading to check down passes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yea, oddly enough he hasn't hit on a deep pass yet. Sure his deep throws haven't been very good, but I mean they are a low % throws, and I feel like his mid range throws have been pretty good up to this point. But yea, would like to see him connect on those deep 1 on 1 passes. He needs to hit Austin.

The thing I really like about him is that he has the guts to make any throw. Love Bradford and all, but man he was super conservative in my eyes, just a ton of short passes. Foles has already proven to me he'll press the ball down the field. JMO

Don't forget the pass to Britt vs Washington. That was a really nice throw deep and right on the money.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I might be talking out of my ass here, but this start on O seems somewhat similar to 2013. The run game was inept until Stacy came in like week 5. Hopefully that isn't the case. If it is, Foles, IMO, play will be heavily impacted as he will have to make up for the run game and have to act as the complete offense.