Is Jeff Fisher becoming "Goodell Jr."?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
moklerman asking me to write a book:
You're welcome to share it.
You already know it moklerman. It's called the golden rule. Look into your heart and you'll find all the rules. I'll post a little of what you already know if you've forgotten some of it over the years. :)

If you're into sports, you've seen it happen. You've probably even experienced it: Football players shaking hands after four quarters of knocking each other around. Tennis players leaping over the net to shake hands with their opponents after a hard-fought match. Soccer players exchanging jerseys after an intense 90 minutes. Even boxers touching gloves at the beginning of each round, then hugging each other after beating each other into a pulp for 12 rounds.

It seems like competitors in every event, from spelling bees to hockey, behave this way. What's going on?

It's all part of sportsmanship, a great tradition in sports and competition that means playing clean and handling both victory and defeat with grace, style, and dignity.

What Is Sportsmanship?
Sportsmanship is defined as:

• playing fair
  • following the rules of the game
  • respecting the judgment of referees and officials
  • treating opponents with respect
Some people define good sportsmanship as the "golden rule" of sports — in other words, treating the people you play with and against as you'd like to be treated yourself. You demonstrate good sportsmanship when you show respect for yourself, your teammates, and your opponents, for the coaches on both sides, and for the referees, judges, and other officials.

But sportsmanship isn't just reserved for the people on the field. Cheerleaders, fans, and parents also need to be aware of how they behave during competition. Sportsmanship is a style and an attitude, and it can have a positive influence on everyone around you.

You can add to these basics aif you want because I'm sure your additions would fit just fine. (y)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yikes, Ray Ray and Jenks could rack up a lot of penalty yards if they don't chill the F out...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You already know it moklerman. It's called the golden rule. Look into your heart and you'll find all the rules. I'll post a little of what you already know if you've forgotten some of it over the years. :)

If you're into sports, you've seen it happen. You've probably even experienced it: Football players shaking hands after four quarters of knocking each other around. Tennis players leaping over the net to shake hands with their opponents after a hard-fought match. Soccer players exchanging jerseys after an intense 90 minutes. Even boxers touching gloves at the beginning of each round, then hugging each other after beating each other into a pulp for 12 rounds.

It seems like competitors in every event, from spelling bees to hockey, behave this way. What's going on?

It's all part of sportsmanship, a great tradition in sports and competition that means playing clean and handling both victory and defeat with grace, style, and dignity.

What Is Sportsmanship?
Sportsmanship is defined as:

• playing fair
  • following the rules of the game
  • respecting the judgment of referees and officials
  • treating opponents with respect
Some people define good sportsmanship as the "golden rule" of sports — in other words, treating the people you play with and against as you'd like to be treated yourself. You demonstrate good sportsmanship when you show respect for yourself, your teammates, and your opponents, for the coaches on both sides, and for the referees, judges, and other officials.

But sportsmanship isn't just reserved for the people on the field. Cheerleaders, fans, and parents also need to be aware of how they behave during competition. Sportsmanship is a style and an attitude, and it can have a positive influence on everyone around you.

You can add to these basics aif you want because I'm sure your additions would fit just fine. (y)

Well, I think we get that overall now AFTER the game. (Richard Sherman and Tom Brady excluded after games this past year) You rarely rarely see much trash talk after the game. Most of the taunting that gets out of hand now is in the heat of the battle between rivals and in big important games. I understand some of it and think a warning needs to come from the refs early. Then flag them the very next time or else you get what happened in the Carolina game, especially if you flag one-sided on these infractions.

I agree class and respect for your opponents should be shown and I hate this lay a great hit on someone just to stand over their prone body like showed them something. Just get up and chest pump or high-five your teammate instead. What I don't want to see my team do is help the opposing player up off the ground. Don't expend your energy helping your opponent save theirs. It's ok to tap him on the back or helmet and tell him good play or ask him if he is alright after you collapsed his lungs but don't aid him. That's his teammates job.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You mentioned boxing. Alan. Muhammad Ali was the king of the taunters before, during, and after a fight, yet he retired as a highly respected sportsman. I guess I don't quite understand how the NFL will decide what taunting is and isn't and how they will referee that in a fair manner.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time pointing out a critical point in history:
You mentioned boxing. Alan. Muhammad Ali was the king of the taunters before, during, and after a fight, yet he retired as a highly respected sportsman. I guess I don't quite understand how the NFL will decide what taunting is and isn't and how they will referee that in a fair manner.
I believe that you've hit on a critical point in our history. Correct me if I'm wrong about this but I think it was Ali who started us down this road of "me". But having said that, I don't consider what Ali did to be at the same level as what we see today but it was, IMO, the first big step down that path. If you can remember back that far, you'll recall that there was a big backlash concerning his antics. As with all things done in one's past, the passage of time smooths out many of the rough edges in people's minds. Especially if you've achieved great things in your life.

As for rules trying to limit taunting, I would agree that they would be very hard to both formulate and enforce. All they can realistically achieve is to eliminate the most egregious ones. I think they've done a pretty good job so far. The rest must come from your peers IMO.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
In this day and age of getting trophies for participation, one can easily see what is going on. They want to control another facet of the game. And while I was never that big into 'taunting" I always knew the one who taunted the most, was the ripest to get played. Mind games will always be part of sports. But now sensitivity training types want to take back the part of the game they can't control. And once again.......you can tell who...could be taken advantage of the easiest........:rolleyes:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
The problem with this has been the lack of consistency from the zebras. Of course, I think it's fair to say that the zebras lack of consistency was a problem across the board with all that they did last year. But with the taunting... Just think about what we saw go down in the crap hole known as Carolina last season. If that team of punk asses had done the exact same things while playing against the patsies or the broncos... The zebras would NOT have looked the other way like they did with us. No question in my mind. Fish should be showing video clips from that debacle to GODell right now and demanding answers.

We'll see how serious they are. My guess is the lack of consistency will continue. The refs will continue to let the jersey,,, and the name on the back of the jersey,,, determine what will be "permitted".

freak GODell and his bull freaking crap.

This rant may still not be complete.
lol 6 dislikes from deletion? Meh... good post

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
sportsmanship at pro level a great thing, lots of kids idolize these guys
train

I, for one, like the effort. As a coach and a parent, I always preached participation in sports is a privilege, not a right, and always show class. Maybe my opinion is the part of the minority. IMO, kids mimic those they look up to including athletes. Charles Barkley once stated "I'm not a role model." Maybe that's the problem and athletes need to start conducting themselves in a manner kids will look up to and want to follow.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
You're welcome to share it.
It's sort of like heat and cold there is no such thing as cold there is only the absence of heat.

Whereas you may not be able to agree on what sportsmanship is ,you sure as hell know when it isn't there.

We could play word games about it all night but in the end I applaud the league returning to it's previous interpretations of good and bad sportsmanship rather than piecemeal legislation against certain actions.There was a time when even throwing the ball on the ground rather than handing it to the official was delay of game ,I'm fine if they return to that standard,limit celebration to high fives and not elaborate ones either.
As afar as the contradiction Fisher seems to be now in favor of, he's the messenger and up until the rule changed Cortlands antics were just part of what others were doing as well so I don't have issue with it.
If it settles this young brash team of ours down and focuses them on the game ,I'm ALL IN FAVOR,I vote for it with both hands ,hell I'm doin' the funky chicken celebrating it:rockon:
Now if they would get the 12th man shit under control and get back to the game I'd be farts and giggles.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The problem with this has been the lack of consistency from the zebras. Of course, I think it's fair to say that the zebras lack of consistency was a problem across the board with all that they did last year. But with the taunting... Just think about what we saw go down in the crap hole known as Carolina last season. If that team of punk asses had done the exact same things while playing against the patsies or the broncos... The zebras would NOT have looked the other way like they did with us. No question in my mind. Fish should be showing video clips from that debacle to GODell right now and demanding answers.

We'll see how serious they are. My guess is the lack of consistency will continue. The refs will continue to let the jersey,,, and the name on the back of the jersey,,, determine what will be "permitted".

I'm not so sure about that George ,I think the zebras are ready and in deed eager to crack down on the shit, but the league has advised them in the past to take a hands off approach from all but the most egregious .
FWIW I think omission will be glaring and you will see all teams pay.
Yeah we're gonna think they are coming down on us worse but the closer to zero tolerance they get the more evenly they will have to apply the sanctions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I believe that you've hit on a critical point in our history. Correct me if I'm wrong about this but I think it was Ali who started us down this road of "me". But having said that, I don't consider what Ali did to be at the same level as what we see today but it was, IMO, the first big step down that path. If you can remember back that far, you'll recall that there was a big backlash concerning his antics. As with all things done in one's past, the passage of time smooths out many of the rough edges in people's minds. Especially if you've achieved great things in your life.

As for rules trying to limit taunting, I would agree that they would be very hard to both formulate and enforce. All they can realistically achieve is to eliminate the most egregious ones. I think they've done a pretty good job so far. The rest must come from your peers IMO.
IDK ... flagging Laurinitis for taunting was wrong, especially when he was reacting to a player that continued to play after the whistle.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I've said this before, but NFL wants more judgement calls; they like that gray area in officiating where all the angry team can do is throw their hands up. Black and white? That's for zebras' uniforms.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it would be pretty easy for the refs to identify on the field. Are you running your mouth excessively at a player on the opposing team. Flag it. no if ands or buts. Keep your mouth shut and play the game. No one needs to or wants to see you telling each other how great you think you are. No warnings the warning just happened. Knock off the dumbshit and play football. Endzone celebration no problem do it in the field of play. Flag it. The BS of waving an incompletion after each play, don't need it. Are you listening Jenkins?
Make a tackle act like it is your job not something special. Get your ass up and get ready for the next play. Pretty easy to see and if you don't think so then your parents and coaches did a poor job teaching you.

Alan

Legend
Ram Quixote not thinking big picture:
IDK ... flagging Laurinitis for taunting was wrong, especially when he was reacting to a player that continued to play after the whistle.
I don't remember the incident. I try and fast forward through the non-football stuff when I'm watching a game. But I will say this; you can always find excuses for not doing the right thing. He deserved it being the most common.

It's very similar to annoying/troublesome posters. You can go tit for tat or you can take the high road. The scenery is better on the high road IMO.
3-tianmen-mountain-road-most-scenic-roads.jpg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The only thing I have against the trash talking is as a fan I don't get to hear it.
Though if you're going to talk trash you best be able to back it up.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm not so sure about that George ,I think the zebras are ready and in deed eager to crack down on the crap, but the league has advised them in the past to take a hands off approach from all but the most egregious .
FWIW I think omission will be glaring and you will see all teams pay.
Yeah we're gonna think they are coming down on us worse but the closer to zero tolerance they get the more evenly they will have to apply the sanctions.

Zero tolerance would be 100% consistency. I would be in 100% favor of that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is Jeff Fisher becoming "Goodell Jr."?

Goodell in his dreams could only wish he was as knowledgeable about the NFl as Jeff Fisher is.

I don't like trash talking myself but I am a believer that the NFL is under attack....I would rather leave things alone I am not in favor of all these changes & stuff.. just feels like they will not stop until the NFL is all about flag football and all hitting is illegal.....of course nobody will be watching on TV or going to the games either.....then all these complainers & wine-ers will move on to destroy other sports..

moklerman

Warner-phile
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of trash talking but I realize that that is just how I value things. A lot of guys LOVE to do it and it's relatively meaningless. There is an extreme in the other direction and I'd hate to see the NFL turn into a golf tournament.

Alan

Legend
Ram Quixote saying stuff:
Stuff.
Hey Tim, I just re-read my reply to you and you might have misread it and thought I was talking about you when I said "annoying/troublesome posters". I can assure that I didn't . I don't think that any of our present members fit that description.

Just wanted to make sure you understood that. :)

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of trash talking but I realize that that is just how I value things. A lot of guys LOVE to do it and it's relatively meaningless. There is an extreme in the other direction and I'd hate to see the NFL turn into a golf tournament.
Okay, I'm sorry I told my brother, with a smirk, "it's still your honor" after he missed that putt. I won't do that again!