Is it bad drafting or just a poor draft class?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not even if he turns out to be really good? Thats harsh.

He's a poor man's Byron Leftwich. That's his ceiling. If I want a backup/spot starter, I'd go with a better Chase Daniel in Taylor Heinicke. I wouldn't have even minded that it was a total reach in the minds of most people because in my opinion, he's the fourth best quarterback after Winston, Mariota, and Grayson.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Havenstein over Cann?
Brown over Clemmings?
Mannion over anyone else?
Donnal over Glowinski?

Bad drafting.

Potential starting RT over potential starting LG with short arms (32 5/8") who will probably be moved to center.

Experienced, healthy, road grading OLineman over a somewhat raw OLinemen with medical red flags.

Perhaps the most Pro Ready QB in this draft class over ???

Donnal vs. Glowinski? Looks like a wash to me.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm still scared about the Gurley pick due to our recent luck with ACLs, but, I'm taking a wait and see attitude with this draft as they at least addressed the biggest need, the Oline!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm still scared about the Gurley pick due to our recent luck with ACLs, but, I'm taking a wait and see attitude with this draft as they at least addressed the biggest need, the Oline!

Well our luck with RBs coming out of college with ACL injuries looks good so far with Bennie Cunningham.:cool:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think you're talking about La'el Collins. I meant T.J. Clemmings. You know, a guy who's arguably a first round talent when healthy with no character issues whatsoever? Who went to the Vikings in round four, where he's likely going to start for them very soon?

And I will never, ever like the Mannion pick. Ever.
Yea I totally screwed that one up:whistle: My bad

Memento

Name
Jemma
Potential starting RT over potential starter LG with short arms (32 5/8")

Experienced, healthy, road grading OLineman over a somewhat raw OLinemen with medical red flags.

Perhaps the most Pro Ready QB in this draft class over ???

Donnal vs. Glowinski? Looks like a wash to me.

Developmental right guard over a plug-and-play left guard?

A guy who shouldn't have been picked anywhere near the fourth round over a guy who actually has the potential to play right tackle at an All-Pro level?

The next Byron Leftwich over, let's say, Paul Dawson? Or Jamil Douglas? Or hell, Taylor Heinicke, even though he's a career backup. (And most pro ready? Jameis Winston says hello.)

An oft-injured tackle who couldn't even beat out a mediocre Brandon Scherff over a healthy starter for a top WVU offense who can play left guard, right guard, or right tackle, a guy who is a second round talent in this draft?

No, they got too cute for their own good.

Memphis Ram

Legend

A guy who shouldn't have been picked anywhere near the fourth round over a guy who actually has the potential to play right tackle at an All-Pro level?

The next Byron Leftwich over, let's say, Paul Dawson? Or Jamil Douglas? Or hell, Taylor Heinicke, even though he's a career backup. (And most pro ready? Jameis Winston says hello.)

An oft-injured tackle who couldn't even beat out a mediocre Brandon Scherff over a healthy starter for a top WVU offense who can play left guard, right guard, or right tackle, a guy who is a second round talent in this draft?

Havenstein a developmental RG? He's a RT.

Cann was a good college player, but I can't recall too many plug and play LGs with arms that short. Those guys have typically been moved to center in the NFL.

Why have you totally disregarded the medical concerns on Clemmings?

I wasn't a Brandon Scherff fan in the first round, but he was considered one of if not the best Olinemen in the draft class. There's no shame in not beating him out.

Byron Leftwich?

Well OK. I've disagreed with your draft analysis quite a bit this offseason, but we will just see what happens.

UDFA

What I get from this is that there is your way or no way.
ALL prospects are suspects til they prove it.
Getting guys with a ton of size and experience is a great plus. You don't like Mannion. Great. So?
The scouting dept has proven itself to me over the last couple years... I'm happy with the focus on offense.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Havenstein a developmental RG? He's a RT.

Cann was a good college player, but I can't recall too many plug and play LGs with arms that short. Those guys have typically been moved to center in the NFL.

Why have you totally disregarded the medical concerns on Clemmings?

I wasn't a Brandon Scherff fan in the first round, but he was considered one of if not the best Olinemen in the draft class. There's no shame in not beating him out.

Byron Leftwich?

Well OK. I've disagreed with your draft analysis quite a bit this offseason, but we will just see what happens.

Havenstein does not have the athleticism that's needed for right tackle. We got a mauler. Good for them. Let's hope to fate that we never pass the ball.

Well, we could certainly use a center right now, couldn't we? I don't trust Jones or Barnes at all. Rhaney, as much as I love the kid, is not a guarantee. And there's no guarantee that he even moves to center. He could stay at guard easily. And there's your left guard of the future to play alongside Robinson.

I've disregarded the medical concerns because to me, Clemmings is the second most talented offensive tackle in this class. Talent beats out medical, especially when it's a first round caliber prospect in the third round.

But not even starting at the other tackle slot until his senior year? Tearing his MCL and PCL so badly in his junior year that he couldn't even practice in next year's spring games?

And yes, Byron Leftwich. In fact, Mannion's release is even slower, and I saw both of them extensively. Both of them are statues in the pocket with no awareness whatsoever. They fold under pressure. I can't see anyone other than Leftwich, and I would have even taken Nick Marshall as the backup quarterback over Mannion.

Memento

Name
Jemma
What I get from this is that there is your way or no way.
ALL prospects are suspects til they prove it.
Getting guys with a ton of size and experience is a great plus. You don't like Mannion. Great. So?
The scouting dept has proven itself to me over the last couple years... I'm happy with the focus on offense.

No scouting department is infallible. Look at Pead. Look at Watkins. Look at all of the guys that they signed as free agents. How many have turned out to be good for the long haul? Hayes? And that's it.

Their record says otherwise. They deserve to be questioned.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think you're talking about La'el Collins. I meant T.J. Clemmings. You know, a guy who's arguably a first round talent when healthy with no character issues whatsoever? Who went to the Vikings in round four, where he's likely going to start for them very soon?

And I will never, ever like the Mannion pick. Ever.
To drop from R1 to R4, it's not only the Rams passed on him. Are you telling me all the NFLs GMs and scouts don't know what they're doing????!!!!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We still have Mason or did you forget? ;) we can give that ACL time to heal

Memento

Name
Jemma
To drop from R1 to R4, it's not only the Rams passed on him. Are you telling me all the NFLs GMs and scouts don't know what they're doing????!!!!

Then I guess that all of the NFL GMs who let Robert Quinn and J.J. Watt slip out of the top ten don't know what they're doing either. It happens. It absolutely happens, but I expect the Rams to accumulate as much talent as possible. Jamon Brown is not more talented than T.J. Clemmings, and nobody can deny that. I can accept it if they're picking talented players who have a chance to be something in this league because that's currently what we lack. Impact players. We have them on the defensive line. We have one on the offensive line. Where else?

UDFA
No scouting department is infallible. Look at Pead. Look at Watkins. Look at all of the guys that they signed as free agents. How many have turned out to be good for the long haul? Hayes? And that's it.

Their record says otherwise. They deserve to be questioned.

As you start your post correctly... No scouting dept is infallible.
This one has earned benefit of doubt to me.
You point to failures, I'll point to Gaines, McLeod, Donald, McDonald, Mason, Cunningham... And on.
They'll miss.., and they'll hit. Best moves were Gurley (if healthy) and trade down.
Smart draft.

Memento

Name
Jemma
As you start your post correctly... No scouting dept is infallible.
This one has earned benefit of doubt to me.
You point to failures, I'll point to Gaines, McLeod, Donald, McDonald, Mason, Cunningham... And on.
They'll miss.., and they'll hit. Best moves were Gurley (if healthy) and trade down.
Smart draft.

Is McLeod really a success? Or did he only start because we don't have anyone better? Great special teams player, but if you think he's a success, then I don't know what to say to you.

And it's not just the trade down. It's what they do with the trade down that matters. So far, Havenstein, Mannion, and someone in the sixth are what we're getting. This is a complete departure from every draft that they've ever done. Gurley is the only player that is guaranteed to start right away, and even he'll be out with an ACL for a good part of the year.

They needed this draft. I don't think they succeeded on it. I will wait and see, I'm not going to tuck and run to another team, I'm not going to say, "I told you so" if I'm right, and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong if they succeed.

But I have every right to question this draft as it stands right now.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think it's both. That doesn't mean these players won't work but I do believe they all could have been had later. The Rams just knew they had to get OL because they didn't get them in FA. The QB pick was forced because they messed up last year. It was purely based on needs as opposed to BPA which drives me crazy.

I wholly disagree with this. They have a plan and are working that plan. If they walk away from this draft with a power running game on the level of Seattle, Rams will be a complete team for the first time since GSOT.

Lots of experts would have taken Mannion there, so that's opinion and not reaching at all. Some even say he will be the best QB in the draft in time. This pick caught me off guard, but the dude has mad talent and pro-style experience. Sucking on a sucky team for a season happens to the best. Steve Young sucked at first too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Havenstein over Cann?
Brown over Clemmings?
Mannion over anyone else?
Donnal over Glowinski?

Bad drafting.
According to you. Sorry Mem but I think we got some pretty good players here and see far less red flags with players like Havenstein and Mannion than you - obviously. Regardless, I'm not buying that because you or anyone else on here had other available players as better than the players we chose that it is a bad draft.

I think Havenstein is going to be a load on that right side and is smart enough to pick up pass blocking nuances that he just didn't need to learn in college.

Mannion has the size and tools and you simply don't set passing records for the Pac 12 with only two NFL caliber (if Wheaton pans out) receivers during your entire career if you are not a very capable QB. Think about the QBs that have come out of the Pac 8, 10, 12. Andrew Luck, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers, Warren Moon, Drew Bledsoe, etc... I believe the Pac has sent more QBs to the NFL than any other conference and yet Mannion threw for more yards with almost nothing for talent around him. Not ONE of his O-linemen has played a snap in the NFL. Not ONE of his RBs have played a snap in the NFL. Not ONE of his TEs have played a snap in the NFL. And he had two decent receivers his entire career. Yeah - he must suck.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memento
I'm sorry, but I really like Jamon Brown and I believe he has the potential to be a very good NFL guard. Clemmings may be physically talented, but Brown is no slouch. He even had a higher Sparq rating than Clemmings. And I don't have any concerns with him losing confidence like Clemmings appeared to do during Senior Bowl practices.

Sure no team is perfect. And there will be mistakes. But, without access to the medical, background, psychological, and other reports/tests or interviews, along with knowing what the actual OLine coach wants, how can anyone be so sure of themselves?

Too many players have been said not to be able to do something they've done for years. Some are still marveling how Whitworth is even playing LT in the NFL. And there was no way Clabo could be a starting RT but he was for years.

The key is the player fit to the team. If the Rams, Bengals, or even Falcons wanted to go pass happy with these guys, the I might agree with your take. But, you seem to have totally disregarded how Havenstein fits a team that wants to run with power with more of a quick passing game.

Last edited: