Is it bad drafting or just a poor draft class?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
As for Mannion, maybe last year's draft taught them that waiting too long to take your QB gets you burned.

Just because they messed up last year doesn't mean they should force the pick in a horrible year for developmental QB's. I'm not sure these 2nd tier QB's would have been taken until the 5th or 6th last year. And the odds of any of them amounting to anything is ridiculously low. Like to the point that it's not even worth wasting a pick on them. Just take a FA backup QB.

…..

Legend
Keep in mind that visits are limited to 30 I think? Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

Interesting to note that the Rams had all these players in for visits. That leaves 66 other draftees from the first three round that did not visit the Rams and therefore just alittle bit less information on them

cracengl

Rookie
You can't expect drafts to fall how you want. If they did there'd be someone else worried about what happened to take your place. As long as these are guys who can develop in our scheme and not just blatant misjudgements (thinking of Klopfenstein, Leonard, pretty much 2007's whole draft) then I'll wait and see and hope for the best.

UDFA
If Hav is a starter his rookie season & performs well... It won't matter to me where he was picked.
Same with Brown.
I'm just excited that they attacked the OL & got massive, experienced prospects.
Sign a couple of vets & they actually have a line.
Gurley makes or breaks the draft for me.. If he stays healthy & is the prospect most agree he is? Home run.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Neither. It's the usual. They are taking players the feel best about that are available. As the 3rd round started, In noticed most teams were doing that, rather than looking at "Mike Mayok's best available" and making decisions from that.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I don't think it's a poor draft class, but more of an even draft class that lacks top end talent. I really feel so far that getting Gurley was a game changer and both of the o-line picks are perfect for what is coached/run. I haven't seen much of Mannion, however he seems to have what is most important for a QB...the physical tools, intelligence and the willingness to put in the work to learn. He was also coached by a former CFL and NFL coach, so he should have a leg up in that regard. I am really happy with this draft so far.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I didn't like the Gurley pick just due to the acl and the fact that I thought Mason was our guy. Oh well, I'm over it, if he red shirts so be it.
I love the O-line picks. Big guys that are maulers- exactly what I wanted and if they were taken a lil early I'm fine with it because we absolutely had to address the line.
Not sure why we felt the need to draft a qb...feels a lil reachy given our off season moves at qb, but I assume it was bpa

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Can I ask, what don't you like? Both Brown and Havenstein are monsters, built for paving the way for a hard running RB. Oh, wait, didn't we pick one of those up in R1? Fisher has put his draft where his mouth has been - he intends to run the ball, I now see why we were quiet during FA with regards to the o-line. The plan was there from the start, and it started with picking GRob last year, the plan was a juggernaut of an o-line. I really do think we've built a 'unit' now with this draft and our RBs must be licking their lips at the thought of running from behind these guys. And I'm stoked at the Mannion pick. I'm sure you'll agree in a few years time. Looking forward to the run, run, dink pass, run, run, touchdown game plan.

And I don't think any picks have been reaches. Especially because they fit the rams scheme. Can't you see how the o-line is now going to be able to work as one cohesive unit??

For goodness sake guys, get behind the team and get behind our new draftees!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't get how you guys know they could have been had a round later. Do you guys have access to every teams board?

Man...if you want to get a downer, come read some of these posts..I am STOKED about our draft. We are a Power running team. All of these Mock drafts prior to the draft are not internally driven, team specific, No one has seen the Rams Draft board, so a critic is just assuming they are picking for need only in rounds 2 and 3. We ARE a much better team than we were, IMO.....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't like the Gurley pick just due to the acl and the fact that I thought Mason was our guy. Oh well, I'm over it, if he red shirts so be it.
I love the O-line picks. Big guys that are maulers- exactly what I wanted and if they were taken a lil early I'm fine with it because we absolutely had to address the line.
Not sure why we felt the need to draft a qb...feels a lil reachy given our off season moves at qb, but I assume it was bpa
Well, Fish said that the trade for Foles had no impact about their plan to pick a QB in this draft...I have heard reports that Mannion has fixed some footwork issues that has quickened his release.They interviewed the Kid at his Pro Day..ALL of them went to Corvallis..This wasn't a flip pick by the Rams

iced

I think it has more to do with "the experts" and other media mocks vs actual NFL boards

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Well, Fish said that the trade for Foles had no impact about their plan to pick a QB in this draft...I have heard reports that Mannion has fixed some footwork issues that has quickened his release.They interviewed the Kid at his Pro Day..ALL of them went to Corvallis..This wasn't a flip pick by the Rams
Yea I know they did their due diligence, but we have Kennum and Davis- so we know someone doesn't make it. I just saw greater need at other positions, mainly CB or LB.
Hopefully the kid has the IT they are looking for

Limey

Rookie
Just because they messed up last year doesn't mean they should force the pick in a horrible year for developmental QB's.

Depends how they rate Mannion. If they wanted him, I have no problem with them making sure they got him. He has height, intelligence and experience of a pro-style offence. I also read that his flaws (holding the ball too low, slow release) could be interlinked and readily coached out. If Weinke believes he can mould him, I think it's worth a shot. I prefer this option to trading future first round picks for top of draft guys who still have a great chance of flaming out.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I might be in the minority, but I really like this draft. The OL guys were rated lower by the draft "experts" but their grades cover guys whose main job is to protect a pocket QB as well as guys who can smash holes in DLs. Peat may be technically the best OT, but to me he would have been a poor fit for the sort of smashmouth style I see Fisher wanting to play. You may well be right that Havenstein and Brown could have been there a round later, but there are other teams (e.g. Seattle) with OL holes who like to run right over teams. I have seen a bit of Havenstein and virtually nothing of Brown, but what little I saw and what I have read makes me think they are good fits for Fisher's system.

As for Mannion, maybe last year's draft taught them that waiting too long to take your QB gets you burned.
I'm good with it too. Let me see if I have this right-- someone will correct me if I don't: Havenstein started for three years in arguably the best college OL program, was 1st Team All-Big 10, and was the best blocker for the best runner in the college game last year. He's a mauler, he's smart, and he's as ready to start as any OL lineman out there. Way ahead, for example, of Mr. Robinson who really only had a year at left tackle. Yeah, he's only a right tackle, but we have Robinson backed up by Saffold at the left side. And, we really, really need a right tackle who can play right now. What's wrong with this picture? Then there's Mannion-- all time passing yardage leader in Pac-12 I believe, on a terrible team-- why would anyone want someone like that?

UDFA
I happen to brlieve Mannion is a real upgrade from Keenum & Davis.
He won't look flashy... But will run the offense because he can make all the throws.. Understands a pro offense & had had years of working under center. Being 6-6 helps too.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Havenstein over Cann?
Brown over Clemmings?
Mannion over anyone else?
Donnal over Glowinski?

Bad drafting.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Havenstein over Cann?
Brown over Clemmings?
Mannion over anyone else?
Donnal over Glowinski?

Bad drafting.
Your opinion of course, but for a run first team all of those picks make sense excluding Clemmings and with his legal issues he has a legit shot of never playing another down of football in the nfl or anywhere else. Too much risk for a team that is all in for this year

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Your opinion of course, but for a run first team all of those picks make sense excluding Clemmings and with his legal issues he has a legit shot of never playing another down of football in the nfl or anywhere else. Too much risk for a team that is all in for this year

I think you're talking about La'el Collins. I meant T.J. Clemmings. You know, a guy who's arguably a first round talent when healthy with no character issues whatsoever? Who went to the Vikings in round four, where he's likely going to start for them very soon?

And I will never, ever like the Mannion pick. Ever.