Is it bad drafting or just a poor draft class?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Then I guess that all of the NFL GMs who let Robert Quinn and J.J. Watt slip out of the top ten don't know what they're doing either. It happens. It absolutely happens, but I expect the Rams to accumulate as much talent as possible. Jamon Brown is not more talented than T.J. Clemmings, and nobody can deny that. I can accept it if they're picking talented players who have a chance to be something in this league because that's currently what we lack. Impact players. We have them on the defensive line. We have one on the offensive line. Where else?
Yep, and that QB dude for New England ;)

But your argument there isn't winning anything, both Watt and Quinn DID get drafted in R1, my comment was for a guy to drop from potential R1 to R4, there must be something there for ALL the teams to let him slide.

UDFA
Is McLeod really a success? Or did he only start because we don't have anyone better? Great special teams player, but if you think he's a success, then I don't know what to say to you.

And it's not just the trade down. It's what they do with the trade down that matters. So far, Havenstein, Mannion, and someone in the sixth are what we're getting. This is a complete departure from every draft that they've ever done. Gurley is the only player that is guaranteed to start right away, and even he'll be out with an ACL for a good part of the year.

They needed this draft. I don't think they succeeded on it. I will wait and see, I'm not going to tuck and run to another team, I'm not going to say, "I told you so" if I'm right, and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong if they succeed.

But I have every right to question this draft as it stands right now.

McLeod is absolutely a success. I can't believe anyone who watched him over the last 2 seasons could say otherwise. Wait.. Lemme guess... They improved greatly on D despite him & he was the problem spot.
He's a good test case. Before 2014? Totally fair to question McLeod. After? Well... I don't know what to tell *you*.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let's hope to fate that we never pass the ball.

Seriously man?

I've disregarded the medical concerns because to me, Clemmings is the second most talented offensive tackle in this class. Talent beats out medical, especially when it's a first round caliber prospect in the third round.
And you are aware of what the NFL doctors and personnel saw in his medical reports? Sorry man - but I don't buy that a TACKLE as talented as you claim to know he is slips THAT far. I don't care if you want to bring up players that slipped out of the top ten in years past. There are almost always reasons a player falls that far and others are picked higher than people expect. Sometimes it is simply a risk factor and yes - sometimes it is a mistake by the 32 teams.

And yes, Byron Leftwich. In fact, Mannion's release is even slower, and I saw both of them extensively. Both of them are statues in the pocket with no awareness whatsoever. They fold under pressure. I can't see anyone other than Leftwich, and I would have even taken Nick Marshall as the backup quarterback over Mannion.

Actually - it's not. Mannion has several different releases. Some short and some long but he can get it out quick when he has something to throw at. Mannion is not mobile but has decent pocket awareness if given any time at all and he certainly doesn't fold under pressure - which he saw all too much of.

Jamon Brown is not more talented than T.J. Clemmings, and nobody can deny that.
Actually, I think some can. Regardless, there were enough concerns with Clemmings that no one felt comfortable slotting him anywhere near where you had him. And that is especially where it counts. Not with talking heads or the Mike Mayocks of the world but with people whose careers are at stake.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
THEY DIDN'T PICK THE NAMES I KNOW, DAMN THEM THEY'VE FAILED AGAIN.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yep, and that QB dude for New England ;)

But your argument there isn't winning anything, both Watt and Quinn DID get drafted in R1, my comment was for a guy to drop from potential R1 to R4, there must be something there for ALL the teams to let him slide.

Very well. How about Vontaze Burfict? How's he working out for the Bengals? I thought that he would bust, and I was wrong. Therefore, I will never put stock into a Combine or a Pro Day or SPARQ again without first seeing the stats and the tape.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Very well. How about Vontaze Burfict? How's he working out for the Bengals? I thought that he would bust, and I was wrong. Therefore, I will never put stock into a Combine or a Pro Day or SPARQ again without first seeing the stats and the tape.
There are always going to be busts my friend, the Rams have had plenty of R1 picks go into oblivion. I just think that what the coaches have done is try and pick the right guys for the job. Complimentary skill sets. I mean you wouldn't pick the best 'round' guy if your need on the team is a 'square' guy.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I liked the Burfict pick btw. But there have been a few Rams picks that I've not liked. I think everyone knows how much I didn't like the Pead pick, and I still think he's a waste of a roster spot.

Alan

Legend
kurtfaulk giving our progosticators short shrift:
I don't get how you guys know they could have been had a round later. Do you guys have access to every teams board?
No but every team in the NFL does that and we can't? Predicting when a player you're targeting might be scarfed up by another team is a huge part in every team's drafting strategy. I don't see their record of successful prognostication as being any more accurate than ours.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No but every team in the NFL does that and we can't? Predicting when a player you're targeting might be scarfed up by another team is a huge part in every team's drafting strategy. I don't see their record of successful prognostication as being any more accurate than ours.

We can.

But, every other team in the league at least has access to their original board, scouting reports, & game film. They have access to medical, background, psychological, intelligence, security and other reports/tests. They've looked these kids in the eye via one on one interviews and know what their coaches want in a player and have an idea of what some of the other teams coaches may want in a player via past experiences and interactions. They even have some access to what other teams might do via talking to the actual players.

We only have access to media draftniks websites that don't even have half that information yet will be quick to offer opinions on who was a reach or who was a steal based upon their draft boards.:p

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram thinking one cancels the other:
We can.

But, every other team in the league at least has access to their original board, scouting reports, & game film. They have access to medical, background, psychological, intelligence, security and other reports/tests. They've looked these kids in the eye via one on one interviews and know what their coaches want in a player and have an idea of what some of the other teams coaches may want in a player via past experiences and interactions. They even have some access to what other teams might do via talking to the actual players.

We only have access to media draftniks websites that don't even have half that information yet will be quick to offer opinions on who was a reach or who was a steal based upon their draft boards.:p
Good points Memphis and all true. Plus, you can add to them the fact they're (NFL GMs/Coaches/scouts) probably all better than we are at guessing those things even without that extra knowledge. That doesn't mean he/we don't frequently get our projections right. Which was my point. Hard to have a conversation about what we thought of the draft without making those kinds projections isn't it? We managed to have a couple of very good looking/realistuic mock drafts even though we were under the same limitations you mentioned concerning round projections yes? ;)

lockdnram21

Legend
Havenstein does not have the athleticism that's needed for right tackle. We got a mauler. Good for them. Let's hope to fate that we never pass the ball.

Well, we could certainly use a center right now, couldn't we? I don't trust Jones or Barnes at all. Rhaney, as much as I love the kid, is not a guarantee. And there's no guarantee that he even moves to center. He could stay at guard easily. And there's your left guard of the future to play alongside Robinson.

I've disregarded the medical concerns because to me, Clemmings is the second most talented offensive tackle in this class. Talent beats out medical, especially when it's a first round caliber prospect in the third round.

But not even starting at the other tackle slot until his senior year? Tearing his MCL and PCL so badly in his junior year that he couldn't even practice in next year's spring games?

And yes, Byron Leftwich. In fact, Mannion's release is even slower, and I saw both of them extensively. Both of them are statues in the pocket with no awareness whatsoever. They fold under pressure. I can't see anyone other than Leftwich, and I would have even taken Nick Marshall as the backup quarterback over Mannion.
Well Snead said that Mannion improved his release. Also do u think that his bad o line and lack of weapons didn't hurt him. He played better in 13 with Cooks. Chris wienke is good with Qbs he had to see something he thought he could work with to take him over Petty and Hundley. Havenstein did real well at senior bowl and held his own vs good pass rushers using his good technique. That raised his stock

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
For those who don't understand drafting offensive lineman

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@FRO

The Titans really liked Havenstein and selected an OT at the top of round 3. And Brown was a good get in round 3, IMO.

Both are very good football players and great fits for what the Rams are trying to do. Don't let any negative draftnik media fool you.

In the end, no one really knows where these kids would have been selected.

I concur I really like the Brown pick, he will move inside and be an excellent LG IMHO. Havenstein seems right now to be everybody's punching bag, but I've seen many Wisconsin games and he rarely got beat and always seemed in control.

Let's see how this plays out I am looking forward to @CoachO camp reports talking up Havenstein & Brown....Many did not like the T.J. McDonald pick either and he's pretty good.

Speedr@m

Rookie
I'm of the crowed that says, "let just wait it out" we got a lot of terrific size. It seems brown is athletic enough to play guard or tackle. Havenstein, from what I read is a team leader and they are both supposedly great run blockers. That sounds good to me. I've been underwhelmed with the results of high profile guys like Jason Smith and Alex Barron. If we knew half of what we though we knew, we wouldn't be on a fan site, we would be sitting in an office giving Fisher and Snead our advise. Let's trust the system. These two haven't really steered us wrong yet. As far as Manion...I was a bit thrown off, I thought it would have been Hundley. But again, in Snisher I trust.
Yeah I like this take. As I said yesterday I might feel better about the draft if they had more success in previous attempts to address the line. That doesn't mean I think the draft sucks it just means that my opinion is jaded based on previous results. Obviously we will have to wait and see but clearly everyone hopes the draft works out. Regardless of if you feel good, bad, or aren't sure how you feel about it like me.

I will say the Gurley pick has grown on me more and more based on some feedback I am getting from some friends that do this stuff for a living. That and what I see with my eyes....goodness his film is spectacular.

bandre10

UDFA
Name
Brandon
If this draft class doesn't pan out I totally lose my confidence in Snead and Fisher. We'll see.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Havenstein over Cann?
Brown over Clemmings?
Mannion over anyone else?
Donnal over Glowinski?

Bad drafting.

That's just your opinion though. Their draft board had those guys higher than the guys you mentioned - and that's with a whole staff of scouts/execs etc and private workouts, tape, hours of scouting and watching them. We might think now that the bigger name guys like Clemmings/Petty/Glowinski/Cann/Marpet etc would have been better bets - but really we have no idea. You have to trust your guys as a fan. If in 2/3 years we look back and the guys we picked are awful and the other guys are great then yeah I'll agree with you but we have no idea at the moment.

Memphis Ram

Legend
For those who don't understand drafting offensive lineman

standing-ovation.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good points Memphis and all true. Plus, you can add to them the fact they're (NFL GMs/Coaches/scouts) probably all better than we are at guessing those things even without that extra knowledge. That doesn't mean he/we don't frequently get our projections right. Which was my point. Hard to have a conversation about what we thought of the draft without making those kinds projections isn't it? We managed to have a couple of very good looking/realistuic mock drafts even though we were under the same limitations you mentioned concerning round projections yes? ;)
I think the point is though, not that our draftniks can't do well with their projections and predictions. It is more when an amateur or some talking head lambastes the actual NFL evaluators for not picking their guy or drafting someone too soon. I get that people have their own boards or preferences on players. But I don't get acting like the team screwed up because they didn't do what the fans or talking heads thought they should. I'm fine with stating your case and all and then waiting to see if you're right. I just don't get acting like you know for sure before any of them even see the practice field.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 with some thoughts:
I think the point is though, not that our draftniks can't do well with their projections and predictions. It is more when an amateur or some talking head lambastes the actual NFL evaluators for not picking their guy or drafting someone too soon. I get that people have their own boards or preferences on players. But I don't get acting like the team screwed up because they didn't do what the fans or talking heads thought they should. I'm fine with stating your case and all and then waiting to see if you're right. I just don't get acting like you know for sure before any of them even see the practice field.
I'm right there with you on all that Stu! :)

When you say that a team could have waited for a player until later there should always be the assumption that that opinion is their own or with a few others or in the majority but it's still just an opinion.

However, it's fair to question whether a pick was chosen before his time too. It's no different than any other problem you had with the guy they picked. So how do you do that without saying the other guy reached and picked him too early?

Additionally, I disagreed with his supposition that we couldn't base our decision on a player using our "less educated" opinion as to when a player could have been available. I like the expertise of many of our posters just as much as many of the professionals and that would include Fisher in my books. This is not dissing Fisher but it is instead, praising our collective knowledge here at the ROD.