Is Isaiah Pead In Trouble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO replied:
He didn't DRESS for the Browns game due to a MINOR leg strain. He didn't practice Saturday, but was back doing unit drills on Monday.

And how do you really think they are going to be able to get "touches" for SIX RBs in the same Preseason game?

It's good to hear that he's recovered from his injury. As for touches, I imagine he'll get them the same way as Cunningham does. If he doesn't, then that's says something too and it's not good. Like I said, he better get some touches in the preseason (and take advantage of them) or we'll be saying goodbye to Mr. Ganaway.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree with you in that IF he doesn't get them, provide he' healthy, then it doesn't bode well for him.

But he has been rotating with Stacy getting 2nd team reps AHEAD of the likes of Cunningham and Reynolds from the first day of camp.

People forget they went out and got him the day he was released by the Jets last year. He was on the 53 man roster all year, and like Pead, was not gonna be in the mix with Jackson garnering the majority of the reps throughout the season. There just was NOT going to be 3, much less 4 guys getting reps with JAckson around.

The one thing Ganaway brings to the mix that NO ONE else on this roster brings is a 240 lb frame. He is the ONLY "big" back on the roster. And IMO, the most "polished" RB of the group. I did NOT say the "best" I said polished.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO liking Ganaway's size:
The one thing Ganaway brings to the mix that NO ONE else on this roster brings is a 240 lb frame. He is the ONLY "big" back on the roster. And IMO, the most "polished" RB of the group. I did NOT say the "best" I said polished.

I like that about him too. I was hoping to see him in action against the Browns. Until yesterday I hadn't even heard he was injured.

Despite his size, I don't think he's very high up on the list which means he better not miss anymore opportunities.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO liking Ganaway's size:

I like that about him too. I was hoping to see him in action against the Browns. Until yesterday I hadn't even heard he was injured.

Despite his size, I don't think he's very high up on the list which means he better not miss anymore opportunities.

Well, not sure I would agree with him NOT being high up the list. He is taking ALL of his reps with the 2nd unit, AHEAD of Cunningham. Sharing reps with STACY.

no matter how you do the math, he is either #3 or #4 out of 6 at this point. I realize you can only go by what you see in the Preseason games, but I caution you not to read too much into that.

Fisher has stated a couple of times he wants to rotate the RBs, trying to find them ALL reps with the 1st unit at some point throughout these 4 "games".

Just because one guy gets his turn this week, means little in the overall plan.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO revealing stuff:
Well, not sure I would agree with him NOT being high up the list. He is taking ALL of his reps with the 2nd unit, AHEAD of Cunningham. Sharing reps with STACY.

Didn't know that. From the practice write ups he isn't mentioned nearly as much as others. Probably about even with Cunningham. Maybe I missed write ups where he was discussed more thoroughly. What's your assessment of the pecking order so far?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO revealing stuff:

Didn't know that. From the practice write ups he isn't mentioned nearly as much as others. Probably about even with Cunningham. Maybe I missed write ups where he was discussed more thoroughly. What's your assessment of the pecking order so far?

Well, they have been very consistent with the pecking order since the first day. Other than someone missing a day here or there for an injury, Stacy missed a practice or two, Ganaway this past week, etc.

Richardson and Pead are sharing reps with the 1's. Stacy and Ganaway with the 2's. With Cunningham and Reynolds with the 3's.

On the days when either Stacy or Ganaway have missed, then they have alternated Cunningham one day, then Reynolds then next moving up with the 2's.

The other thing I have tried to pay attention to, is how are they being included on the Special Teams.

Other than Pead being involved as the KO returner (no commentary needed) , Stacy has actually been fielding punts. Cunningham has also been taking his turn as a KO returner.

Reynolds is on the 1st unit KO Return, and 2nd Unit Punt team. Cunningham has been on the Punt team as well. Ganaway is included on the Punt Team.

Really the ONLY RB NOT ON ANY SPECIAL TEAMS is Richardson.

While I feel overall, these Preseason games mean different things for different positions, the RB spot is one I do agree will go a long way in helping to sort things out. For me the biggest question is whether or not they feel keeping Cunningham on the 53 an roster is more important than keeping the bigger back in Ganaway.

IMO, Cunningham needs to prove his worth as they already have 2 smaller quicker backs in Richardson and Pead. Stacy, while not a "small" back, he is still only 216 lbs. Cunningham at 210 needs to play much bigger than that IMO.

It would not surprise me to see them not to overexpose Cunningham the rest of the Preseason, so they can hide him on the Practice Squad.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO ranking them as expected:
While I feel overall, these Preseason games mean different things for different positions, the RB spot is one I do agree will go a long way in helping to sort things out. For me the biggest question is whether or not they feel keeping Cunningham on the 53 an roster is more important than keeping the bigger back in Ganaway.

IMO, Cunningham needs to prove his worth as they already have 2 smaller quicker backs in Richardson and Pead. Stacy, while not a "small" back, he is still only 216 lbs. Cunningham at 210 needs to play much bigger than that IMO.

It would not surprise me to see them not to overexpose Cunningham the rest of the Preseason, so they can hide him on the Practice Squad.

So you have it as between Cunningham and Ganaway like I do. Cunningham seems to hav the edge on ST with his kick return ability.

They didn't try and hide C in the first game so I think there gonna let them fight it out. I'm still going to go with my original gut feeling that if either of them misses any more time it will be their death knell.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO ranking them as expected:

So you have it as between Cunningham and Ganaway like I do. Cunningham seems to hav the edge on ST with his kick return ability.

They didn't try and hide C in the first game so I think there gonna let them fight it out. I'm still going to go with my original gut feeling that if either of them misses any more time it will be their death knell.

You may be right, but I don't see this staff as being one who is going to make any quick decisions. They need to get down to 75 on their first cut, and I will be shocked if any of those first cuts include any RBs.

I would also be surprised if they play ALL 6 guys in every one of the 3 remaining games. Someone will be the odd man out each week. Given game 3 is usually the game where the regulars get the most work, I can see Game 4 being the one that the decision comes down to.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lengthy thread. Its obvious that Pead's progress is a big issue amongst us. Either that or internet ego's and stubbornness have taken hold :ww:

Pretty good discussion for the most part. Pead's touches will no doubt be scrutinized from here on out.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
i may be in the minority here but i am not to impressed with out rb corps at all.. Drich shows the most promise to me. That being said i dont think pead is in trouble persay this season but next year i would like to see us draft a rb in the second or third round such as
Damien Williams, RB, Oklahoma
or
Carlos Hyde*, RB, Ohio State

now being an Ohio State fan and all i like hyde's play i know he had his "trouble" which no charges were actually filed but kid has some skills.
Kid is very tough to bring down and constantly runs through tackles. One knock i would say he could trim down his 6-0. Weight: 242. a bit and gain a little more speed his 40 time is 4.60. but i believe he could be a 3rd round steal or if he has a huge year a 2nd rd steal.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
mojorizen7 missing the hijacking:
Lengthy thread. Its obvious that Pead's progress is a big issue amongst us. Either that or internet ego's and stubbornness have taken hold :ww:

Pretty good discussion for the most part. Pead's touches will no doubt be scrutinized from here on out.
Well some Nimrod hijacked it to talk about RBs so there's that. :lol:

Speaking of RBs.

CoachO continued:
I would also be surprised if they play ALL 6 guys in every one of the 3 remaining games. Someone will be the odd man out each week. Given game 3 is usually the game where the regulars get the most work, I can see Game 4 being the one that the decision comes down to.
I agree about the importance of game 4 in this battle. Getting touches is a little misleading in that their pass blocking will be getting evaluated when they're on the field and not touching the ball.

As for quick decisions, it's not just missing a preseason game due to an injury, it's also that they would miss practice time before and after the missed game. Let's hope this whole discussion is academic and nobody has an injury.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
albefree69 said:
mojorizen7 missing the hijacking:

Well some Nimrod hijacked it to talk about RBs so there's that. :lol:

Speaking of RBs.

CoachO continued:
I agree about the importance of game 4 in this battle. Getting touches is a little misleading in that their pass blocking will be getting evaluated when they're on the field and not touching the ball.

As for quick decisions, it's not just missing a preseason game due to an injury, it's also that they would miss practice time before and after the missed game. Let's hope this whole discussion is academic and nobody has an injury.
Hey now if your going to call me a nimrod atleast do it in red geesh wheres the respect around here :grin:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Rabid Ram becoming a full fledged member of the infamous Nimrod Club:
Hey now if your going to call me a nimrod at least do it in red geesh wheres the respect around here :grin:
We're the few, the proud, the klutzy. Welcome to the club! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVRL9q8bis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVRL9q8bis</a>