Is Cooper Kupp the fave for OROY???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched the Vegas feed with Matt Millen in the ANALyst role. The entire game Matt was trying to explain what Kupp was doing, how the DB was getting his position wrong and whatnot and I just had to laugh because it was always what the Raiders were allowing of course. Just felt so good to sit back and know that what was happening was we now have a smart offense from the top down.

Kupp would look good as a rook in any offense given how polished and professional he is. But he's under a guy in McVay who is going to set him up through scheme and playing the defense in such a way that he can have even more impact. Those two guys are a match made in heaven for this offense.

I agree with @Mackeyser that Kupp's a definite favorite for ROY. He's going to be that guy who gets his catches every game no matter what you do on defense. Teams on good days will contain him basically. And on bad days he's going to get those plus a deep one or two.

And Kupp was roasting a veteran CB. But I don't blame Millen for explaining what the CB was doing wrong. That all said, if the CB had been doing things right, I'm sure Kupp would have exploited him in some other way. If he went inside, Kupp would have gone out. If he went outside, Kupp would have went inside.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And Kupp was roasting a veteran CB. But I don't blame Millen for explaining what the CB was doing wrong. That all said, if the CB had been doing things right, I'm sure Kupp would have exploited him in some other way. If he went inside, Kupp would have gone out. If he went outside, Kupp would have went inside.

Exactly. And on one play Millen observed that, to his credit. He was like "Well right there Kupp just took the inside and it was pitch and catch."

But man it feels great to have a staff that sets that type of stuff up, don't it? I'm a happy fan right now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I told the Cardinals fans over on their board a week ago that he was gonna win it.
:coach:

TexasRam

Legend
You could sense Matt Millen's frustration with Kupp when Kupp got yet another big catch and Millen called him Kupcake. It's like he was thinking why can't people stop this no name rookie, and with no explanation he resorted to name calling.

People haven't quite caught on yet but this kid is the real deal and taking the league by storm.

The best part to see is how Goff is building Chemisty with him. They have a few kinks to work out but you are seeing a timing develop that looks almost automatic when it's developing.

Kupps ability to make the subtle moves to setup his man before the break is what makes him exceptional along with his hands. I know there is more to his success than that but to me that is the bread and butter of his effectiveness. He reminds me of a Steve Largent or a bigger Wes Welker.

I would love Kupp to stay under the Radar as long as possible so he can be our move the chains guy, rather than making him a stat monster. Let's spread the touches with these other dudes and use Kupp thing under wraps.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't mean it in a negative way. I mean that we're going to use him out of the slot to move the chains and drive defenses crazy on third down.

I think everyone here knows how much I like Kupp.
The possibilities are exciting.
Watkins and Woods outside and Kupp in the slot. Of course all three of those can play and are polished so they can play anywhere.
Add in Tavon being moved around, out wide, slot, 2 back set in the back field. I still want to see Austin in motion a lot.
Having a run game that is solid and the pass game established....actually HAVING an intermediate passing game....should free things up for Austin if he isent forgotten.
I keep picturing Watkins set to one side with Everett at TE on the same side. Austin coming in motion to stack behind Watkins. Watkins runs a go, Everett attacks the seem and Austin runs a little delay, intermediate cross....the big guys just clear that space for Austin. Watkins or Everett could be open attacking downfield. If not the third is Austin, one of the fastest players in the league, either matched up with a dime back, a LB or flashing into soft spots in the zone. Watkins, Woods, Everett, Kupp, Higbee can all be legit weapons....but, getting ball to Austin in space in that 10-15 yards range could just be deadly.
As usual it may all come down to O line Health.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I watched the Vegas feed with Matt Millen in the ANALyst role. The entire game Matt was trying to explain what Kupp was doing, how the DB was getting his position wrong and whatnot and I just had to laugh because it was always what the Raiders were allowing of course. Just felt so good to sit back and know that what was happening was we now have a smart offense from the top down..

I'm glad someone else was picking up on that too. Crabtree made a great move on his TD and Millen was praising his ability. Everett shook his tackler out of his jockstrap and according to Millen the Raider player "just fell down".

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
IMO, he has no chance for rookie of the year. Splash players have won the rookie of the year since its inception---too me, he isn't that, no matter how many 8-12 yard receptions he has. He reminds me of Amendola in his ability to make it happen and that is good enough for me. HE is a key cog...I thought #23 offense, if all was well with O line...but with Sammy in place for 16 games, I say 14-17 best offense in yards. I am not high.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
IMO, he has no chance for rookie of the year. Splash players have won the rookie of the year since its inception---too me, he isn't that, no matter how many 8-12 yard receptions he has. He reminds me of Amendola in his ability to make it happen and that is good enough for me. HE is a key cog...I thought #23 offense, if all was well with O line...but with Sammy in place for 16 games, I say 14-17 best offense in yards. I am not high.
Weren't the Redskins #2 in pass yards last year? Goff is much more talented then Cousins. Why can't we be in that spot?

bluecoconuts

Legend
sooo you're saying this was a bit of an over reaction? lol

HvbVrpcnSQa9T-cAc7zbyw.png

gap7qp

If you win you're throwing us all a pizza party, right?

nighttrain

Legend
I would love Kupp to stay under the Radar as long as possible so he can be our move the chains guy, rather than making him a stat monster. Let's spread the touches with these other dudes and use Kupp thing under wraps.
This ship has sailed...:sneaky:
train

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Cooper Krupp is going to be our new Pete Holohan, for those of you that remember all the clutch catchers Pete made.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who's the last receiver to win it? Seems easier for quarterbacks and running backs. Cook and fornette are probably the favorites but kupp has performed incredibly and perhaps better than the other big name receivers (so far)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd love for Kupp to be this involved every game....but you guys do realize he operates in a very physical part of the field? I mean, he's taking a LOT of hits for a rookie....from safeties and LB's...I'd just bring him along slowly....45-60 catches....and let him go all Danny A/J. Edleman next year. JMO

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm now feeling pretty good about that bet (what was it again? 70 catches 800 yards? something like that?)

It's an aggressive goal and in this O probably hard for him to hit that.

I don't mean it in a negative way. I mean that we're going to use him out of the slot to move the chains and drive defenses crazy on third down.

He looks very comfortable in the middle there and really breaks left or right in a snap.

But man it feels great to have a staff that sets that type of stuff up, don't it? I'm a happy fan right now.

Play design.........it's such a huge thing that the team has been missing for many years. And I'll wager that we are going to see more motion once the real games start.

Goff is much more talented then Cousins

I don't know about that Legatron. In Cousins last 20 or so games he has been as good or better than anyone in the league. Once he got his head wrapped around McVay's system he was just killing defenses and his team isn't that good.

Take a look.........

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00/gamelog/

If he comes to the Rams and they have to get rid of Goff for a lot less than they gave up for him it'll be a win for me. I want Goff to be a star, but Cousins is already there.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Weren't the Redskins #2 in pass yards last year? Goff is much more talented then Cousins. Why can't we be in that spot?
Kirk Cousins has been in the NFL since 2012, and has been 'in' the system for 3 years with Gruden--and Garcon, Jackson and Reed are pro bowl level players..Goff has more talent Cousins, but give him 2 years for his brain and ody to catch up. For example, in year 2, Brady didn't look so good in 2001 superbowl. He had 90 yards passing in teh Superbowl agains the Rams--before the final possession....so, even HOFers can take a while. Brady became the HOFer in 2007...before that, he was a very good quarterback---but,not top 2-3...not even close.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'd love for Kupp to be this involved every game....but you guys do realize he operates in a very physical part of the field? I mean, he's taking a LOT of hits for a rookie....from safeties and LB's...I'd just bring him along slowly....45-60 catches....and let him go all Danny A/J. Edleman next year. JMO
Ya, but Kupp is 205lbs, not 190-195 like many slot WRs. He will play outside, too. We should't get lost on the fact that Kupp is an accessory, while Watkins and Everett will be the guys that are making huge gains. Stick movers are important, but they don't scare anyone---especially division foes; you need Watkins and Thomas and EVerett to get big games to beat division rivals like AZ and Seattle.

By the way, I CAN'T WAIT
until Kupp goes against Richard SHerman--he may lose some, but he will win some too. Two very, very smart guys man e mano. Sherman is 'illuminated' in his own words, so he must be smart, or a Mason...or
both ;)

The Rams can actually play against Seattle's defense and not be going 3 and outs all game long. Fisher always found a way against the Seahawks....can McVay...? Then we can win the division.

Ram65

Legend
You see this kid. He goes 6 for 70 and a TD.

I can see that becoming a regular thing even as Watkins opens up things further. This dude is beyond being a rookie.

I'm now feeling pretty good about that bet (what was it again? 70 catches 800 yards? something like that?)

Anyway, I haven't been this excited about a rookie since AD.

Seriously.

No one mentioned that those numbers were only for a half!

I imagine the Rams feed him until he gets stopped. He beats man to man. Even if the defender is close he has the great hands and concentration to make the catch. Hard to double cover out of the slot but that leads to mismatches elsewhere. His football smarts will kill zone dead spots.

O Rookie of the Year not impossible. Hard to say how many catches he gets could be many more that 70.

He looks very comfortable in the middle there and really breaks left or right in a snap.

You couldn't see it on the replay but the one where he came from the right to middle of the field he did the Kupp Shake and put the defender on his heels. It went inside but could gone outside the guy was faked out completely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here's his competition: