Is Brycen Hopkins ready to step up as Rams' No. 2 tight end in 2022?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Brycen Hopkins ready to step up as Rams' No. 2 tight end in 2022?​

Brycen Hopkins was supposed to be the player to replace Gerald Everett at tight end when he inevitably left in free agency. The Rams drafted him to be that type of player in 2020, knowing Everett might be on his way out before the 2021 season.

It didn’t work exactly to plan, with Hopkins playing a total of 61 snaps in his first two years in the NFL and catching only one pass for 9 yards in 10 games played. The Rams have been patient with him, however, and Hopkins started to show some promise in the Super Bowl when he caught four passes for 47 yards as the top tight end with Higbee sidelined due to injury.

Can Hopkins carry over that momentum into 2022? He’ll once again get the opportunity to be the Rams’ No. 2 tight end, just as he had last year. Johnny Mundt, who was the TE2 last season, signed with the Vikings in free agency, opening the door for Hopkins for the second year in a row.

Hopkins won’t necessarily face a ton of competition for that job. Kendall Blanton is the other tight end who will be battling for the backup role at tight end, and he was the Rams’ preferred choice at that spot after Mundt got hurt.

Blanton played 11 games, made two starts and played 21% of the offensive snaps. He came alive in the playoffs, catching all seven of his targets for 75 yards and a touchdown, picking up five first downs – outperforming Hopkins. But it was Hopkins who contributed the most in the Super Bowl, which was a surprising development.

Heading into 2022, it’s anyone’s guess who will win the job as Higbee’s backup. But what we do know is how important that role is. Higbee is pretty durable but he hasn’t played a full season since 2018. Not to mention, the Rams like to have a capable blocker as their No. 2 tight end when they deploy 12 personnel with two receivers and two tight ends on the field together.

Neither Hopkins nor Blanton is a particularly good blocker, but Hopkins made a couple of key blocks in the running game during Super Bowl LVI. It’s not a lack of effort, but rather a need to improve his technique when it comes to sealing off defenders when the Rams run the ball outside.

Los Angeles would probably prefer if Hopkins beat out Blanton as the No. 2 tight end, hopefully validating the team’s decision to draft him in the fourth round two years ago. Sean McVay won’t complain so long as one of the two step up, but Hopkins might have the slightly better opportunity to after his performance in the Super Bowl.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So you think a rookie TE is going to be better than what The Rams have now?
Apparently.
I think your undervaluing Blanton & Hopkins.
Absolutely

Having said that I do believe they'll draft a TE. Harris is considered a WR from everything I heard last year.

TE: Higbee, Blanton, Hopkins & a rookie

WR: Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Atwell, Harris, Skowronek and OBJ

And we'll definitely be seeing another RB, be it Michel, a UFA or draft pick or 2 of the 3.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think your undervaluing Blanton & Hopkins
Your question was asking how a rookie could come in and take the #2 job. It can be done.
Will it? That’s a different question. I don’t see Hop or Blanton as a starter, but we’ll see what the big boys think. If they draft a TE, I’d expect to see him play day #1

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sure it's possible. 2nd round pick Everett started 2 games in 2017 and caught 16 passes on the season. He was the #2 behind Higbee from 2017-2020 (the year Hopkins was drafted in the 4th)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think like Blanton,the adjustment to The NFL takes just a little time.It’s a matter if they can become more consistent & make those plays when called upon.
What I want to know is who are all these rookie tight ends who come into the NFL and excel? Pitts? Drafted #4 overall. I would hope so.
Hockenson, #8 overall? Fant #20? I guess I should ask, "who are all these tight ends drafted from the third round down (or UDFA), who come into the NFL and excel?"

There were 8 tight ends taken before Hopkins (#136) in 2020. 5 of them had 3 receptions or less in the 2020 season. Still more than Hopkins but very little playing time. The big producers were Kmet (#43) 16 G, 9 GS, 28 rec and Bryant (#115) 15 G, 9 GS, 24 rec. I think rookie tight ends have to be either a terrific threat in the passing game or a phenominal blocker (or both) to play a lot.

Or as you say, "the adjustment to the NFL takes a little time".

Among those 8 tight ends drafted prior to Hopkins, how many had 2 experienced tight ends in front of them on the depth chart like Higbee and Everett? Deguara (#94, Green Bay) had Mercedes Lewis and Robert Tonyan ahead of him. He played in 2 games, started 1 and had 1 reception on the season. This past season he played much more but was that because he beat somebody out or because Tonyan missed 9 games? BTW, he didn't play in the postseason this year. I'd wager skill players drafted below the third round, who go to shitty teams have a better chance to play than a player joining a playoff team or Superbowl Champion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many tight ends had the GM raving about how they were going to design special packages for him to get him involved right away? And how many tight ends that were drafted only dressed for 10 of their first 33 reg season games? And only had 1 pass thrown their way in 2 reg seasons? There's a learning curve for sure, for all positions, but that's a different animal than not being able to see the field for 2 years.
Again, would be a great thing if the light bulb has gone on and he becomes the player the Rams thought they had when they drafted him, but if the Rams feel that drafting a TE is the better option, I am certain whoever they draft would eclipse the performance put on by Hop in years 1&2

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I just hope Higbeast doesn't get injured next season because with our receiving corps and Tyler, as long as the OL protects Staffrdo, we'll be hard to stop.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What I want to know is who are all these rookie tight ends who come into the NFL and excel? Pitts? Drafted #4 overall. I would hope so.
Hockenson, #8 overall? Fant #20? I guess I should ask, "who are all these tight ends drafted from the third round down (or UDFA), who come into the NFL and excel?"

There were 8 tight ends taken before Hopkins (#136) in 2020. 5 of them had 3 receptions or less in the 2020 season. Still more than Hopkins but very little playing time. The big producers were Kmet (#43) 16 G, 9 GS, 28 rec and Bryant (#115) 15 G, 9 GS, 24 rec. I think rookie tight ends have to be either a terrific threat in the passing game or a phenominal blocker (or both) to play a lot.

Or as you say, "the adjustment to the NFL takes a little time".

Among those 8 tight ends drafted prior to Hopkins, how many had 2 experienced tight ends in front of them on the depth chart like Higbee and Everett? Deguara (#94, Green Bay) had Mercedes Lewis and Robert Tonyan ahead of him. He played in 2 games, started 1 and had 1 reception on the season. This past season he played much more but was that because he beat somebody out or because Tonyan missed 9 games? BTW, he didn't play in the postseason this year. I'd wager skill players drafted below the third round, who go to shitty teams have a better chance to play than a player joining a playoff team or Superbowl Champion.

Good post ! Howard from TB is another example of a top TE taking time to develop. Funny just thought Tampa Bay & Tom Brady both TB.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Good post ! Howard from TB is another example of a top TE taking time to develop. Funny just thought Tampa Bay & Tom Brady both TB.
Cowherd often says (about QBs), it has as much to do with where you go as how talented you may be. I totally agree. But couldn't that be said about any position? QB, WR, TE, OL etc.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How many tight ends had the GM raving about how they were going to design special packages for him to get him involved right away? And how many tight ends that were drafted only dressed for 10 of their first 33 reg season games? And only had 1 pass thrown their way in 2 reg seasons? There's a learning curve for sure, for all positions, but that's a different animal than not being able to see the field for 2 years.
Again, would be a great thing if the light bulb has gone on and he becomes the player the Rams thought they had when they drafted him, but if the Rams feel that drafting a TE is the better option, I am certain whoever they draft would eclipse the performance put on by Hop in years 1&2

I will ALWAYS contend of what I’ve seen & heard. Last season has past,so whatever happens in 2022 is what it is.

I’m not going to say your wrong,but I do have a strong opinion on certain things.I might be more wrong than right.

If we are going by 2022 SuperBowl & the last vision Inhad of The Rams is the Offensive line is going to be more of a concern than at TE.

To say a TE can’t come in & out play say Higbee? I’d say hardly.

If you ask me about Blanton & Hopkins going into OTA’s 2022? I’d say The Rams TE group is pretty sold & has a lot of depth.

Blanton if you ever seen him the last 3 years you’d have to say is a Big Dude.If you saw him in training camp last season you’d have to say he is FEARLESS going over the middle & has Excellent concentration.
Watching him during the season he had ups & downs.He was not consistent,but can make a lot of plays.He flashes & needs to continue to work on his blocking skills.Is a sold backup at times. —Side note that he is more of an ascending player than Johnny & is under contract.

Hopkins- I don’t know where his mind was at in training camp? He was not happy &’it showed.IMO he wanted to get CUT. He didn’t want to be a Ram.
In OTA’s Harris was Flashing & pushing both Blanton & Hopkins.
IMO Harris could have been that guy that would have been ahead of both players if he was bigger & stronger. Like I’m saying is playing TE as a rookie is tough. Blocking means so much at this level(NFL).

—Anyways where B. Hopkins is now vs last season is Night & Day!! Dude works hard & plays with an attitude.
I told him he was going to get cut. He knows what was up!! He had to mature & play within himself & as a teammate. He has a LOT of FIGHT in himself.He has got attitude & confidence in himself.

Personally I am excited to see what Hopkins does. I could be WAY OFF here? I saw enough through the preseason & NFL season in 2021.
The SuperBowl is what makes me a believer that there if NO SCALE to big for how good he can be.If he continues to work hard he will get paid in 2024.

I can go back & Hopkins vs Gerald Everett in there 3rd season. I’d take where B.Hopkins is now than how high I was on Everett who disappointed.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Sure it's possible. 2nd round pick Everett started 2 games in 2017 and caught 16 passes on the season.
I'm not sure Everett is a shining example.
They kind of went to him because they had to and also they had, "draft euphoria" as they were so sure he was a big steal that we, mtl, could have found later in the draft.

I consider him a huge disappointment considering Snead's usual abilities.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, what? Howard caught 6 TD passes in his rookie year. Caught 60 pass for 1k yards and 11 TD in his first 2 seasons combined, then his career went backwards due to injuries. Methinks you're looking at his stats in reverse...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They kind of went to him because they had to and also they had, "draft euphoria" as they were so sure he was a big steal that we, mtl, could have found later in the draft.

He wasnt using Everett as an example of success, was said in a discussion regarding players taking time to develop. I offered Everett as an example compared to Hopkins. If anyone had an excuse to not see field while "developing" it was Everett. He was the raw, only played a couple years of football, small program etc, as opposed to Hopkins who was seen as a more "pro ready" player. Hopkins was the 3 year starter (4 year player) for a big time Big 10 program and had the lineage (Father Brad played 13 years in NFL).
Yet here was Hop riding pine 2 years while Everett started game #1 of his rookie season

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m gonna try to be really fair here.

Hopkins clearly underwhelmed in his first 2 seasons although he had a helluva SB game.

And yet I think the late season Blanton and Hopkins give the Rams reason for some cautious optimism. Both statements are true.

But I will say that drafting a TE would not be a stunner. Smart to keep that pipeline full, don’t you think?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But I will say that drafting a TE would not be a stunner. Smart to keep that pipeline full, don’t you think?
Plus it's a good TE Class, again I believe that Hopkins & Blanton both are ready to soar, however, I could see the Rams drafting a TE like Cole Turner out of Nevada or even the kid they interviewed Roger Carter from Georgia State and make Carter the H-Back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

That was McVays first draft pick. I give Les Snead credit for trading back though who drafted John Johnson as well with the Everett pick.

Rams had a chance for George Kittle instead of Ebukham. Thanks goodness for Cooper Kupp though.
I’d compare Hopkins more like having Josh Reynolds. The thing I like about Hopkins so far is when a pass is thrown to him he catches it. Especially on the Big Stage.What comes of it,who knows.

If anyone ever saw George Kittles 40(50) yard dash should have been impressed. To me I fell in love with his power & speed.Then think of him coming from Iowa of all places. It’s like do you think this guy can block?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wait, what? Howard caught 6 TD passes in his rookie year. Caught 60 pass for 1k yards and 11 TD in his first 2 seasons combined, then his career went backwards due to injuries. Methinks you're looking at his stats in reverse...

Your right , shows you how much I really paid attention then to him & Tampa Bay. Couldn’t watch that 50 point beat down they put on Fhe Rams at home.Seems like The Rams play them every season the last 10 years.
I guess fantasy plays into it. Higbee after that finished the 2019 pretty strong. My Hope is he has a full season like that.Was a nice late season claim when Everett went down.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I really don’t know what to expect from Hopkins going forward. I’m certainly skeptical. But the SB opened my eyes to his potential. Hopefully he turned a corner and is putting in the necessary hard work to become a quality NFL TE for the Rams. Regardless, I definitely expect one of our picks to be a TE - it would be shocking if we did not.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I really don’t know what to expect from Hopkins going forward. I’m certainly skeptical. But the SB opened my eyes to his potential. Hopefully he turned a corner and is putting in the necessary hard work to become a quality NFL TE for the Rams. Regardless, I definitely expect one of our picks to be a TE - it would be shocking if we did not.
I expect a TE too. Where they take one will speak to what they expect from Hopkins (&Blanton).

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He wasnt using Everett as an example of success, was said in a discussion regarding players taking time to develop. I offered Everett as an example compared to Hopkins. If anyone had an excuse to not see field while "developing" it was Everett. He was the raw, only played a couple years of football, small program etc, as opposed to Hopkins who was seen as a more "pro ready" player. Hopkins was the 3 year starter (4 year player) for a big time Big 10 program and had the lineage (Father Brad played 13 years in NFL).
Yet here was Hop riding pine 2 years while Everett started game #1 of his rookie season
So who did 2nd round Everett have ahead of him on the depth chart? Higbee and Derek Carrier. Who did 4th round Hopkins have ahead of him? Higbee and Everett. Big diff.

There is no excuse for year two except to surmise the doghouse is tough to get out of, sometimes.