Is Brycen Hopkins ready to step up as Rams' No. 2 tight end in 2022?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Brycen Hopkins ready to step up as Rams' No. 2 tight end in 2022?​

Brycen Hopkins was supposed to be the player to replace Gerald Everett at tight end when he inevitably left in free agency. The Rams drafted him to be that type of player in 2020, knowing Everett might be on his way out before the 2021 season.

It didn’t work exactly to plan, with Hopkins playing a total of 61 snaps in his first two years in the NFL and catching only one pass for 9 yards in 10 games played. The Rams have been patient with him, however, and Hopkins started to show some promise in the Super Bowl when he caught four passes for 47 yards as the top tight end with Higbee sidelined due to injury.

Can Hopkins carry over that momentum into 2022? He’ll once again get the opportunity to be the Rams’ No. 2 tight end, just as he had last year. Johnny Mundt, who was the TE2 last season, signed with the Vikings in free agency, opening the door for Hopkins for the second year in a row.

Hopkins won’t necessarily face a ton of competition for that job. Kendall Blanton is the other tight end who will be battling for the backup role at tight end, and he was the Rams’ preferred choice at that spot after Mundt got hurt.

Blanton played 11 games, made two starts and played 21% of the offensive snaps. He came alive in the playoffs, catching all seven of his targets for 75 yards and a touchdown, picking up five first downs – outperforming Hopkins. But it was Hopkins who contributed the most in the Super Bowl, which was a surprising development.

Heading into 2022, it’s anyone’s guess who will win the job as Higbee’s backup. But what we do know is how important that role is. Higbee is pretty durable but he hasn’t played a full season since 2018. Not to mention, the Rams like to have a capable blocker as their No. 2 tight end when they deploy 12 personnel with two receivers and two tight ends on the field together.

Neither Hopkins nor Blanton is a particularly good blocker, but Hopkins made a couple of key blocks in the running game during Super Bowl LVI. It’s not a lack of effort, but rather a need to improve his technique when it comes to sealing off defenders when the Rams run the ball outside.

Los Angeles would probably prefer if Hopkins beat out Blanton as the No. 2 tight end, hopefully validating the team’s decision to draft him in the fourth round two years ago. Sean McVay won’t complain so long as one of the two step up, but Hopkins might have the slightly better opportunity to after his performance in the Super Bowl.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I like Blanton. Great blocker and looked smooth as a receiver when we needed him. Hopkins, though, may have bought himself some time with his playoff performance.

Flint

Pro Bowler
There’s some optimism about him after his play in the SB but there were really no other options when he got in the game. He showed up when his number was called and that’s all you can ask for in a backup, let’s see if he can take the next step.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Hopkins is the # 3 TE (for now). Blanton is well ahead of him IMO and first in line as the #2 TE. The article failed to mention the fact that Hopkins' surprise contribution in the super bowl was because Blanton got hurt too. Hopkins did step up when it mattered. He earned his ring and that is something he can carry with him for the rest of likfe but to say he will now be the #2 TE is a stretch at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A young non-utilized TE that lurked around the Rams Org. for 2 seasons forced into the biggest game of the 2021 season & proved he is ready beyond any doubt. Hopkins still needs to beef up his frame & blocking ability, there is no doubting his pass catching talent.

Rams look to be in very good shape going into Training Camp with the top 3 TE's Higbee/Blanton in the passing game, just how many snaps these TE's see with the offense will depend solely on just how far they have come in their ability to make solid blocks in the run game. We know all 3 can catch.

Tyler Higbee 6-6/255 29 entering his 7th season/UFA in 2024
Kendal Blanton 6-6/262 26 entering 4th season/RFA in 2023/4.95time in the 40 yd dash
Brycen Hopkins 6-54/250 entering 3rd season / UFA in 2024/4.66 time in the 40-yard dash
Kyle Markway 6-4/250 entering 3rd season/ ERFA in 2024/ He can block

Do you really think a 6-5 210 lb wideout Jacob Harris should continue to be included in the Rams TE discussion when he is skinnier & leaner than both Kupp & Robinson?

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Hopkins can figure out how to block, he will be the #2 TE. It really is as simple as that (I think).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d be happy if the Rams found a good do it all tight end in this draft. Neither Blanton nor Hopkins could block better than Mundt. Otherwise they’d have been ahead of him. Plus Higbee isn’t getting any younger.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hopkins is the # 3 TE (for now). Blanton is well ahead of him IMO and first in line as the #2 TE. The article failed to mention the fact that Hopkins' surprise contribution in the super bowl was because Blanton got hurt too. Hopkins did step up when it mattered. He earned his ring and that is something he can carry with him for the rest of likfe but to say he will now be the #2 TE is a stretch at this point.
It said it was The Rams hope he will. To say there is not going to be competition would be silly talk.
—Yes your absolutely right on Blanton though of having the number 2 TE spot.In fact the experience he got last season is priceless.He really stepped up,and at times took a couple steps backwards as well.That’s part of the growth.He is also showing confidence off the field as well.He is a Big Guy.

Put it this way though. I’m excited about what B. Hopkins is going to bring.In fact he showed better hands than B. Sko ….

Psycho_X

Legend
I think Blanton and Hopkins both had the advantage when they were forced into play that the defense didn't expect anything out of them and practically ignored them at the snap. We'll see how they do in training camp again. Hopkins building off his Super Bowl appearance would help a lot though. I can't get over the images of him looking completely lost all the other times I saw him on the field before that game though. Hopefully he's turned the corner. I think it is all but guaranteed the Rams draft TE though so I expect one of Blanton/Hopkins to not be here next year or game day inactives at best.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d be happy if the Rams found a good do it all tight end in this draft. Neither Blanton nor Hopkins could block better than Mundt. Otherwise they’d have been ahead of him. Plus Higbee isn’t getting any younger.
Bingo….that is why I think this year will dictate what happens to that group going into 2023. Improve or move on. The days of watching TEs leave to be productive for other teams is over.

Flint

Pro Bowler
If Hopkins can figure out how to block, he will be the #2 TE. It really is as simple as that (I think).
It is pretty simple but there are plenty of guys who couldn’t get on the field cuz they couldn’t do it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
A young non-utilized TE that lurked around the Rams Org. for 2 seasons forced into the biggest game of the 2021 season & proved he is ready beyond any doubt. Hopkins still needs to beef up his frame & blocking ability, there is no doubting his pass catching talent.

Rams look to be in very good shape going into Training Camp with the top 3 TE's Higbee/Blanton in the passing game, just how many snaps these TE's see with the offense will depend solely on just how far they have come in their ability to make solid blocks in the run game. We know all 3 can catch.

Kendal Blanton 6-6/262 26 entering 4th season/RFA in 2023/4.95time in the 40 yd dash
Brycen Hopkins 6-54/250 entering 3rd season / UFA in 2024/4.66 time in the 40-yard dash

Do you really think a 6-5 210 lb wideout Jacob Harris should continue to be included in the Rams TE discussion when he is skinnier & leaner than both Kupp & Robinson?

Pretty sure in a press conference that they reset Harris as a WR. I dunno if it was because they initially saw him as a TE project or what, but McVay did say that he was a WR and they were gonna fix that.

No idea what "fix that" means as I think he keeps showing up as sometimes a TE and sometimes a WR, but as long as McVay sees him as a WR, I'm gonna see him as a WR...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
TE is a notoriously difficult position for rookies to learn. A 3 year learning curve is not uncommon.

Maybe, just maybe, Blanton and Hopkins are ready to really produce on the field? We’ll see.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Knew you were going to show up on this thread. Let me be the first to introduce You to The Rams new TE coach Thomas Brown.
He is going to be better imo than Phillips.Mcvay really likes to use this coaching slot to expand a coaches experience.It’s a stepping stone,but Zac Robinson is going to be the pass game Coordinator. Wondering if Thomas Brown will still maintain being the run game coordinator? That puts a little different spin on the TE’s coaching position.

If B. Hopkins has a breakout season,his success will be pointed at Thomas Brown.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pretty sure in a press conference that they reset Harris as a WR. I dunno if it was because they initially saw him as a TE project or what, but McVay did say that he was a WR and they were gonna fix that.

No idea what "fix that" means as I think he keeps showing up as sometimes a TE and sometimes a WR, but as long as McVay sees him as a WR, I'm gonna see him as a WR...

Well The Rams lost Robert Woods.I think just as anything The Rams try to do is to take advantage of there personal. It has been done more on defense,but really they will try to explore different ways to exploit matchups.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
TE is a notoriously difficult position for rookies to learn. A 3 year learning curve is not uncommon.

Maybe, just maybe, Blanton and Hopkins are ready to really produce on the field? We’ll see.

I don’t think that is a big maybe. Just watching Hopkins in the SuperBowl you can see his upside.Missed catches real hurt offensive drives. The fact he showed good routes & hand sets is a Excellent way to judge.
Watching Ben Sko have trouble making catches & tracking is a little concerning. He runs good routes & plays physical. You’ve got to like that,but I’m basing my opinion on a player like Lazario wide receiver for Green Bay. The steps he has taken to be the go to WR.
Blanton reminds me of that as well.You see these players do it in practice,but when the lights come on it’s a different story.The game is fast & more physical.
Higbee in St. Louis got blasted by a DE 5 yards in the backfield.Blocking did not come easy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

We all look at things differently. I agree in a do it all TE,but I think your under estimating both Hopkins & Blanton as well as the TE position.

I’ve been Hopkins worse critic. Telling him why he was going to get cut.I’ve watched him work hard & deal with whatever has been a internal problem. I have thoughts on why last season wasn’t easy for him,but might have made him a lot better player.
I’m all about watching ascending players & seeing the growth. I’m sure you doubted big time The Rams wouldn’t win The SuperBowl in 2021? That’s a guess though & another opinion.
Anyways I like what the TE group brings & as Bonifay’d stated about Kyle Markway. He will get a full off-season & training camp.