Is Brycen Hopkins ready to step up as Rams' No. 2 tight end in 2022?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Brycen Hopkins ready to step up as Rams' No. 2 tight end in 2022?​

Brycen Hopkins was supposed to be the player to replace Gerald Everett at tight end when he inevitably left in free agency. The Rams drafted him to be that type of player in 2020, knowing Everett might be on his way out before the 2021 season.

It didn’t work exactly to plan, with Hopkins playing a total of 61 snaps in his first two years in the NFL and catching only one pass for 9 yards in 10 games played. The Rams have been patient with him, however, and Hopkins started to show some promise in the Super Bowl when he caught four passes for 47 yards as the top tight end with Higbee sidelined due to injury.

Can Hopkins carry over that momentum into 2022? He’ll once again get the opportunity to be the Rams’ No. 2 tight end, just as he had last year. Johnny Mundt, who was the TE2 last season, signed with the Vikings in free agency, opening the door for Hopkins for the second year in a row.

Hopkins won’t necessarily face a ton of competition for that job. Kendall Blanton is the other tight end who will be battling for the backup role at tight end, and he was the Rams’ preferred choice at that spot after Mundt got hurt.

Blanton played 11 games, made two starts and played 21% of the offensive snaps. He came alive in the playoffs, catching all seven of his targets for 75 yards and a touchdown, picking up five first downs – outperforming Hopkins. But it was Hopkins who contributed the most in the Super Bowl, which was a surprising development.

Heading into 2022, it’s anyone’s guess who will win the job as Higbee’s backup. But what we do know is how important that role is. Higbee is pretty durable but he hasn’t played a full season since 2018. Not to mention, the Rams like to have a capable blocker as their No. 2 tight end when they deploy 12 personnel with two receivers and two tight ends on the field together.

Neither Hopkins nor Blanton is a particularly good blocker, but Hopkins made a couple of key blocks in the running game during Super Bowl LVI. It’s not a lack of effort, but rather a need to improve his technique when it comes to sealing off defenders when the Rams run the ball outside.

Los Angeles would probably prefer if Hopkins beat out Blanton as the No. 2 tight end, hopefully validating the team’s decision to draft him in the fourth round two years ago. Sean McVay won’t complain so long as one of the two step up, but Hopkins might have the slightly better opportunity to after his performance in the Super Bowl.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyler Higbee is a good example. Tight End can be a difficult position to learn. And, hopefully, Brycen Hopkins will learn how to block this year, if that is what is holding him back from playing.
Higbee still started 7 games as a rookie in an offense that had a #1 TE in Hendricks. Not sure how this is comparable to a guy that couldnt even dress for near 70% of his games as a rookie. And Higbee came from a spread offense and yet was immediately an effective run blocker. Apples to oranges really

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You all can say what you may about his blocking, but I’ll tell you this, when it counted the most, SB win or lose on the line, his 4th and short block on Kupps jet sweep for a first down, I’d challenge anyone on ROD to bring up a better executed clutch drive sustaining block than Brycen Hopkins in Rams TE history
It was a great block, credit where due. If this guy were to turn around and become a solid player for the Rams, nothing would make me happier.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Higbee still started 7 games as a rookie in an offense that had a #1 TE in Hendricks.
For an offense that ranked #32 in the NFL starting might not be the accolade to cite. Hendricks started 16 games so I guess the Rams started 7 games in 12 or spread a TE wide.

Apples to oranges really
That would be comparing starting in a McVay offense to starting in an offense under Jeff Fisher.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Right now...Blanton would be ahead of him. Blanton's a better blocker, and has shown a lot of consistency as a receiver. Either way it's good we have both Hopkins and Blanton as affordable options right now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be comparing starting in a McVay offense to starting in an offense under Jeff Fisher.
It would be comparing him as a rookie vs a rookie. Unless we are making an assumption that Jeff Fisher was more effective at preparing him? His second year showed dramatic improvement under McVay so I'm not sure why the same assumption wouldnt be made about his rookie year, meaning Higbee's stats likely would have been better in 2016.
All of which makes him incomparable, since he played in every game as rookie, unlike Hopkins
Gerald Everett is the most apples to apples comparison, and its not very favorable. If any player would have had an understandable slow start, it was him.
Moving forward, can we have hope for Hopkins based on his play in SB? Sure thing.
Can we write off his first 2 seasons of complete absence as if it is normal and/or common? Absolutely not

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
You all can say what you may about his blocking, but I’ll tell you this, when it counted the most, SB win or lose on the line, his 4th and short block on Kupps jet sweep for a first down, I’d challenge anyone on ROD to bring up a better executed clutch drive sustaining block than Brycen Hopkins in Rams TE history
To come off the bench as the the 3rd deep TE and execute that block in that moment in time, I can not think of a better block in Rams history.

Every time I replay that final drive I find myself looking at that block thankful that man was there. It may not have happened if another player was there. Perfect execution.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Hopkins played lights out in the superbowl. Made some catches, got some 1st downs, huge block on 4th down. He did his part to help the Rams win the superbowl.

Hopefully he can use the confidence of that performance to propel himself into a consistent contributor moving forward.

He didn't look lost i.e. understood the plays and his role. He caught the ball when it came to him. He didn't fumble. He got the job done in blocking too. That 4th down block was huge, for example, but it's not like he cleared the dude out. He's playing well enough to get more time and looks basically.

So to say he played lights out seems a bit strong is all and maybe I'm nitpicking you here but that would be what I'd say if he broke some tackles or dragged some dudes or did a bit more than just execute what was called. It's very valuable to see him do what he did btw. But just trying to keep it in perspective and when you look at our TE room vs this TE draft class there are some players who can help us.

Not sure if the Rams will use picks on said players but another guy in the pipeline seems right to me in that TE room. And it will be nice either way to see Hopkins compete in camp, hopefully he's ready to step up and assume a reasonable snap role. Same goes for Blanton too btw.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I like Blanton
That's my guy as well.
Credit Hopkins in the SB, he did well on the big stage.
but at this point , I really love Blantons potential. @6' 6", 262 lbs
He is a Mismatch option and in my opinion is our next Mundt with far more upside
as a receiver. Of course the Draft may change this.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not sure if the Rams will use picks on said players but another guy in the pipeline seems right to me in that TE room. And it will be nice either way to see Hopkins compete in camp, hopefully he's ready to step up and assume a reasonable snap role. Same goes for Blanton too btw.
We can never be sure what they're going to do with their picks. If they sign Gilmore, they'll still probably draft a corner but maybe not with their first pick. Maybe it's an Edge. Maybe it's an Edge even if they don't sign Gilmore. Or maybe it's a TE. I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to see a TE and RB in the first 3 selections.

If you look at their history in the draft (Snead & McVay), they don't take what positions the consensus of Ram fans think they should take as far as the early picks go. Never. The consensus never seems to be in line with their thinking.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It would be comparing him as a rookie vs a rookie.
Sure, complexity of the playbook isn't a factor in the NFL. Learning Sean McVay's offense is as easy as learning Rob Boras' offense, as a green rookie. The problem is.....in Hopkins' second year he hasn't progressed. Fortunately for him, they had no choice but to play him in the SB. I'd have thought, if they thought Blanton and Hopkins weren't any good, they'd have re-signed Johnny Mundt who got a whopping 2.4 mil for 2 years from Minnesota.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He didn't look lost i.e. understood the plays and his role. He caught the ball when it came to him. He didn't fumble. He got the job done in blocking too. That 4th down block was huge, for example, but it's not like he cleared the dude out. He's playing well enough to get more time and looks basically.

So to say he played lights out seems a bit strong is all and maybe I'm nitpicking you here but that would be what I'd say if he broke some tackles or dragged some dudes or did a bit more than just execute what was called. It's very valuable to see him do what he did btw. But just trying to keep it in perspective and when you look at our TE room vs this TE draft class there are some players who can help us.

Compared to how the rest of his career had played out I would definitely say he played lights out in the superbowl.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Actually on a third quarter reception (may have been his first of the game), Hopkins caught a five yard pass and broke a couple tackles before dragging two Bengals for a 16-18-yard gain. It was a very strong run. Remember it because Hopkins almost dropped the ball, and had to triple-catch it.

I remember thinking ... UGH! ... but it was a really nice run after-the-catch.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ben Sko had soft hands at Notre Dame--we'll see

I think like Blanton,the adjustment to The NFL takes just a little time.It’s a matter if they can become more consistent & make those plays when called upon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect 5 TDs to call it a great game dammit!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, complexity of the playbook isn't a factor in the NFL. Learning Sean McVay's offense is as easy as learning Rob Boras' offense, as a green rookie. The problem is.....in Hopkins' second year he hasn't progressed. Fortunately for him, they had no choice but to play him in the SB. I'd have thought, if they thought Blanton and Hopkins weren't any good, they'd have re-signed Johnny Mundt who got a whopping 2.4 mil for 2 years from Minnesota.
So you're trying to create an argument while agreeing with me?
Bizarre

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think the Rams target a TE in the draft. Then they'll battle it out at OTAs
So you think a rookie TE is going to be better than what The Rams have now? I’m sure they’ll bring someone in as depth & comp..

What’s your take on Kyle Markway?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you think a rookie TE is going to be better than what The Rams have now?
Last year Freiermuth and Tremble were taken after the 1st round and either would be a upgrade to our TE room. This year is supposedly a strong draft for TE, so I dont see why a rookie couldnt come in and take the #2 spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Last year Freiermuth and Tremble were taken after the 1st round and either would be a upgrade to our TE room. This year is supposedly a strong draft for TE, so I dont see why a rookie couldnt come in and take the #2 spot.

I think your undervaluing Blanton & Hopkins.It could happen, I know George Kittle was a player I saw in 2017 & thought wow this dude is a beast.I liked a couple TE’s such as Ingram,but these guys are capable from a blocking standpoint.Hopkins could even have a better career? Time will tell.

My point is value & needs,which I don’t see the need right now.If the value is there from a scouting standpoint then Les Snead will pull the trigger.
Now that a CB wasn’t signed there is definitely a Big need. I think The CB depth in 2022 is very deep.I also think Gunners are very important on special teams. The Rams have Sko,Funk,Hopkins, & maybe Harris who was hurt on punt coverage.
I never say never,but I doubt it. Then again I’m not totally into the Draft,but Hopkins was a 4th rd pick who was projected to go higher from your same thoughts of drafting a TE.
Everyone was all up into Harris coming out of OTA’s. Once he got to training camp it was easy to spot he wasn’t ready.He also got injured right away so was hard to see the development.