Interesting Power Rankings and Goff comparison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The "game manager" label has a bad connotation to it. While Goff was lighting it up last year it was far too early to call him "elite". There has to be more than two levels of QBs in the NFL. It can hard to be critical of Goff around here. The jury is still out on where Goff will end up as an NFL QB. He has some great traits and some flaws. It would be great if McVay gave him more flexibility to change plays at the LOS instead of the pass or run option.

Without a doubt, Goff has more physical talent than Jimmy G. I'm not sure where Goff is going to end up as an NFL QB. At times he makes great difficult throws look easy while at other times he misses some easier throws. It seems like he is locking into one receiver too often. That could be partly due to less protection this year. The rest of this year will be a great test to see how Jared responds in a lot of must-win type games against some good defenses.
Not to me I recognize that all QBs at one point have to be game managers most never grow out of that role while others become elite. Where Goff ends up no one knows. I don’t think it’s a bad thing personally for him to be a game manager so when I say that and use that term it’s more of a this is where he stands today, not a shot at his potential at all

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Game manager is a term used to describe a qb that is managed by the play caller not to have a chance to make a mistake that might cost his team a game. Usually this team likes to rely on the running gam and defense and special teams. They will win mostly low scoring games. That is definitely not goff. If you are trying to say he has away to go before you are comfortable with his play or that he doesnt make enough plays under pressure or he makes to many mistakes, then fine. But the rams have had a lot of game managers and not since Warner have we had some one this good. Not saying he is warner and I'm not saying I am happy with some of his play. He needs to take the sure 3rd down play some times and he locks on to a receiver sometimes and he has been inconsistent since Detroit, but he can sling it and he is on his way to being top 5 qb. So, needs to improve, but no way is he a game manager.
So you don’t think Goff is managed by McVay?! McVay basically reads the defense for Goff and tell him where to go with the ball. McVay’s entire offense is to make it easy for Goff predetermined throws for certain down and distances McVay sends Goff out with two plays he don’t have the freedom to change out of those two plays even if he wanted to. Game managers come in different forms just cause we scored a lot of points don’t mean it wasn’t manufactured by McVays scheme. And once again nothing is wrong with him being that so if he’s not a game manager than what is he? Hell even PM reverted back to being a game manager with Denver and he still won a Super Bowl

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
So you don’t think Goff is managed by McVay?! McVay basically reads the defense for Goff and tell him where to go with the ball. McVay’s entire offense is to make it easy for Goff predetermined throws for certain down and distances McVay sends Goff out with two plays he don’t have the freedom to change out of those two plays even if he wanted to. Game managers come in different forms just cause we scored a lot of points don’t mean it wasn’t manufactured by McVays scheme. And once again nothing is wrong with him being that so if he’s not a game manager than what is he? Hell even PM reverted back to being a game manager with Denver and he still won a Super Bowl
Bullshit. He dosent read defenses for goff. Are you paying attention. Do you even watch the games. Way over half the time they break the huddle after the 15 sec mark. And how many times are snapping the ball with no time left? And no, I dont think mcvay is trying to limit Goff's affect on a game. The plays are called with options for the QB to choose where to throw. Mcvay doesnt have a joy stick to control him and make him throw to a particular receiver. Just nonsense

RamsInfiniti

Rookie

Yea, you need to pay attention. They are doing way, way less of that stuff with McVay communicating to Goff before the snap. Just watch and you'll see.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He has two plays he get from McVay hes allowed to audible to . I’ve said this since last year the offense will be a lot better if McVay actually trusted Goff and McVay creates bad habits for Goff got him locking onto his first reads

I think there is a lot of truth to this, and something I've been saying about McVay's complete stranglehold on the offense, and how that affects Goff's growth at the line of scrimmage. I commented on one play it in ATL game because it stood out to me - ATL was in a nickel package with only 6 defenders near the line of scrimmage, it was one of the lightest boxes we'd seen and we came out in 12 personnel (2-TEs). I'd say even with our o-line that was a free 5-yards and likely more. McVay called a play action-pass, Goff walked up to the line, kept the play on and snapped the ball. The pass was well defended and went incomplete, on to 2nd and 10. And I thought, why the hell wouldn't he audible to a run? It was clear as day they were playing the pass, and especially with Higbee and Everett on the field we had an easy gain on first down if we ran. Why TRY to throw into a tougher look?? Yea of course he completes a ton of passes into those looks, but it illustrates a point where I think he trusts McVay so much, that his route-combos, his schematic concepts will just beat the defense on its own. Instead of him using his eyes and making the correct football play.

I think McVay needs to add more freedom or audible options for Goff, which will help him take the next step. Because I remember how Peyton used to win pre-snap and it was a thing of beauty. But does McVay's offense ALLOW for that type of freedom at the line? All I've heard about the Shanahan system and thus McVays system, is all the audibles are worked in to the play. So they make the call and you just go execute. To me that doesn't develop an independent thinking QB, more of a programmed robot but idk. If that is the case then Goff can't miss reads or throws when they're schemed open.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, you need to pay attention. They are doing way, way less of that stuff with McVay communicating to Goff before the snap. Just watch and you'll see.
Lol way way less that’s not saying that it’s not happening maybe y’all need to pay attention put down the rose colored glasses and actually watch the games. I’m not talking about McVay being in his ear before the snap I’m talking about the overall scheme McVay literally shuts down half the field for Goff on any given play and Goff rarely ever deviates from it.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there is a lot of truth to this, and something I've been saying about McVay's complete stranglehold on the offense, and how that affects Goff's growth at the line of scrimmage. I commented on one play it in ATL game because it stood out to me - ATL was in a nickel package with only 6 defenders near the line of scrimmage, it was one of the lightest boxes we'd seen and we came out in 12 personnel (2-TEs). I'd say even with our o-line that was a free 5-yards and likely more. McVay called a play action-pass, Goff walked up to the line, kept the play on and snapped the ball. The pass was well defended and went incomplete, on to 2nd and 10. And I thought, why the hell wouldn't he audible to a run? It was clear as day they were playing the pass, and especially with Higbee and Everett on the field we had an easy gain on first down if we ran. Why TRY to throw into a tougher look?? Yea of course he completes a ton of passes into those looks, but it illustrates a point where I think he trusts McVay so much, that his route-combos, his schematic concepts will just beat the defense on its own. Instead of him using his eyes and making the correct football play.

I think McVay needs to add more freedom or audible options for Goff, which will help him take the next step. Because I remember how Peyton used to win pre-snap and it was a thing of beauty. But does McVay's offense ALLOW for that type of freedom at the line? All I've heard about the Shanahan system and thus McVays system, is all the audibles are worked in to the play. So they make the call and you just go execute. To me that doesn't develop an independent thinking QB, more of a programmed robot but idk. If that is the case then Goff can't miss reads or throws when they're schemed open.
I promise that’s all I’m saying. People think I’m ragging on Goff when in actuality I feel like he’s being limited by McVay by forcing him to be a game manager and not letting him grow