Interesting Power Rankings and Goff comparison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kentuckyrams

Pro Bowler
Interesting Power Ranking from Doug Farrar on TouchdownWire, currently has the Rams at 15, which seems a bit low to me, but I get it after 3 game skid (Dallas was 13th after similar fate). I can see the rating based on standings; we would be out of the playoff running if the season ended today. I still see quite a few winnable games, especially if the offensive lines issues can be improved with Edwards in the lineup and by some scheming on McVay's part (like some of the two and even three TE sets last week, as well as getting the RBs more involved in the passing attack, for example).

This quote is what struck me most, a comparison of Goff and the Whiners' JG: "San Francisco's ostensible franchise quarterback has completed 68.3% of his passes this season, but he's also thrown six interceptions to just seven touchdown passes, and he's been inconsistent at best when throwing deep and under pressure. Head coach Kyle Shanahan may have a Jared Goff on his hands here -- a quarterback who must have a highly schemed passing game to succeed, and who doesn't look very good outside of that. You can do some damage in the postseason with such a quarterback, but at a certain point, the 49ers are going to need Garoppolo to tear it loose outside of structure."

I get some of it - the TD/Int ratio (this season), the tendency to struggle under certain looks and pressures. There are echoes of that system qb knock on Goff there in Farrar's comments as well. Still, I think Goff is the much better qb, based on some of the throws he can make and how fluid he can be when he gets in rhythm. I still think Goff has a high ceiling if he can improve in pocket awareness a bit and in reading defenses (finding that 2nd and 3rd option/making quick decisions). I think he has a long way to go before calling him elite - whatever that word means - and I won't claim Goff is the best qb under pressure (have to give that to Wilson, with Rodgers not far behind, then Brady just because he's mastered that EP system so well). But I think all things equal - a decent O Line and some semblance of a running game, and Goff's the stronger qb.

Just curious what my RoD brethren think...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think Jimmy is a turnover machine that just hasn't played enough to put all of his INT's and fumbles on display and will NEVER see Jared Goff-type level of success.

Furthermore, the idiot writing the column must not be watching when Goff goes no huddle and calls at the line of scrimmage, because Goff is arguably better running a two-minute drill than running McVay's scheme, which hasn't been top of the line this year.

Please, please have Jimmy throw 45 times a game like Goff has to right now.

Instant 9er losing streak!

jjab360

Legend
Why does any QB have to "tear it loose outside of structure"? Pocket QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc. have all played within their respective systems and become some of the greatest QBs of all time. This fascination with having a QB that can make plays off schedule and outside the pocket is wholly unnecessary.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
the "blueprint" for Frisco is simple...Make Jimmy Grabpole beat you by forcing him to throw 10 yards or more...

KayJay

Starter
Lol, the Niners SB nation forum literally has a post called "Game Manager is good for Jimmy G". We have a quarterback, Jimmy is a game manager.If the argument is Goff hasn't been a very good quarterback this year, that's fair. But Jimmy hasn't been a very good game manager, which is required to do significantly less than Goff by a mile. Goff with little to no running game, and crap offensive line is sitting on more yards, and more touchdowns; after his 78 yard performance. Niners have had a bye week, but he's still nowhere close to Goff's yard total.

An analysts worst nightmare is if Goff starts to turn this around before Wentz does; and if Jimmy never looks any better than he is now. I'm not going to say that these guys who write articles are out to get Goff, no that's not it. They just don't like him, they never did. Him having two great seasons didn't help either. When McVay first got to the Rams they were suggesting he'd trade him for Kirk Cousins, McVay didn't do it. Then they suggested they would cut bait with Goff, and draft someone to save money, McVay didn't do it. They attempted to say McVay audibles for Goff. McVay said its untrue, yet the rumors persist clearly ignoring logic; because the mic is cut off after the 15 second point. The media tries to force players to destinations that would be exciting for them to talk about all of the time. So it is feasible that the fact Jared Goff is basic white bread with zero controversy, stays in the pocket and delivers strikes; would be disliked compared to guys that leave the pocket every 2 plays to bomb it down field.

My point is, this situation is no different. And please stop acting like Goff TD to Interception ratio is an indictment on how this dude has played. 3 of those interceptions he was either hit while he threw, someone ran free on a fourth and one, or a pass bounced right off someone's hands on perfect throw and ended in an interception. I'm well aware that shit happens. But lets keep things in perspective here.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Goff issues are his poor online play. Last year we flooded the pattern with our rb/wrs 5 in the pattern. The theory was no team has five good cover corners/lbs.

Compare that to this year where McVay is now adjusting with keeping rbs in almost every 3rd down and he is keeping at least 1 TE in to help with the online deficiencies. What does this mean less rb/wrs into the pattern this year hence more dbs/lbs to cover less of our skill players.

Goff up to the ATL game was the most pressured QB in the league and our C and RG are 2 of the worst rated out of every G and C in the league. You can win in this league without an oline. That is why we lost those games.

We have so many really skilled players we almost came back against TB and probably should have won the Seattle game. Now with JR we will be better on Defense. We will soon get Mathews back and hopefully the combo of Hill, Long and Rapp can hold down the fort while Talib and JJ heal.

The Offense is a different story. Edwards is a start maybe but we will not know until we encounter a better defense than ATL or Cincy.

If we can make one more strong oline move prior to the deadline you will see a slow but steady climb back to our rightful position on top of the NFC by playoff time. We will be top 4 by then.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Interesting Power Ranking from Doug Farrar on TouchdownWire, currently has the Rams at 15, which seems a bit low to me, but I get it after 3 game skid (Dallas was 13th after similar fate). I can see the rating based on standings; we would be out of the playoff running if the season ended today. I still see quite a few winnable games, especially if the offensive lines issues can be improved with Edwards in the lineup and by some scheming on McVay's part (like some of the two and even three TE sets last week, as well as getting the RBs more involved in the passing attack, for example).

This quote is what struck me most, a comparison of Goff and the Whiners' JG: "San Francisco's ostensible franchise quarterback has completed 68.3% of his passes this season, but he's also thrown six interceptions to just seven touchdown passes, and he's been inconsistent at best when throwing deep and under pressure. Head coach Kyle Shanahan may have a Jared Goff on his hands here -- a quarterback who must have a highly schemed passing game to succeed, and who doesn't look very good outside of that. You can do some damage in the postseason with such a quarterback, but at a certain point, the 49ers are going to need Garoppolo to tear it loose outside of structure."

I get some of it - the TD/Int ratio (this season), the tendency to struggle under certain looks and pressures. There are echoes of that system qb knock on Goff there in Farrar's comments as well. Still, I think Goff is the much better qb, based on some of the throws he can make and how fluid he can be when he gets in rhythm. I still think Goff has a high ceiling if he can improve in pocket awareness a bit and in reading defenses (finding that 2nd and 3rd option/making quick decisions). I think he has a long way to go before calling him elite - whatever that word means - and I won't claim Goff is the best qb under pressure (have to give that to Wilson, with Rodgers not far behind, then Brady just because he's mastered that EP system so well). But I think all things equal - a decent O Line and some semblance of a running game, and Goff's the stronger qb.

Just curious what my RoD brethren think...

What’s the EP stands for?

MachS

Hall of Fame
Pocket QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc. have all played within their respective systems and become some of the greatest QBs of all time.

Its a joke to say Jimmy G is better than Goff. He's got a much better arm and more upside than Jimmy. But we have to acknowledge Goff's performance when the scheme isn't giving us an advantage, that part is true.

Also - Brady, Manning, and Brees all won their first trip to the Super Bowl. What did Goff do? We can make all the excuses in the world for him, but he didn't get it done. And on a day when the defense shut down Brady. While I agree you don't need a QB that can "tear it up outside of the pocket," lets chill out on comparing Goff with the greatest pocket passers of all time. Those 3 champions all had an entirely different level of command and execution of their offenses. And when they had a shot to win a ring, they got it done. While we all hope our QB gets there, he's not close to that point yet IMO and needs to be MUCH MORE consistent week to week.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Why does any QB have to "tear it loose outside of structure"? Pocket QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc. have all played within their respective systems and become some of the greatest QBs of all time. This fascination with having a QB that can make plays off schedule and outside the pocket is wholly unnecessary.
Yeah nowadays your ability to scramble is regarded higher than your ability to deliver an accurate pass in tough coverage.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Also - Brady, Manning, and Brees all won their first trip to the Super Bowl. What did Goff do? We can make all the excuses in the world for him, but he didn't get it done. And on a day when the defense shut down Brady. While I agree you don't need a QB that can "tear it up outside of the pocket," lets chill out on comparing Goff with the greatest pocket passers of all time. Those 3 champions all had an entirely different level of command and execution of their offenses. And when they had a shot to win a ring, they got it done. While we all hope our QB gets there, he's not close to that point yet IMO and needs to be MUCH MORE consistent week to week.
jjab360 said:
Pocket QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc. have all played within their respective systems and become some of the greatest QBs of all time.

There’s not a single thing wrong with this statement.

And I damn sure don’t hold Brady’s Super Bowl XXXVI as him getting it done...that defense got it done, bro.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jjab360 said:

There’s not a single thing wrong with this statement.

And I damn sure don’t hold Brady’s Super Bowl XXXVI as him getting it done...that defense got it done, bro.
The point is elite QBs even when they’re not on their A game they still make the important throws get that meaningful first down and more importantly don’t turn the ball over.
Goff is a system QB he is a game manager he’s just better than some at that role and there is nothing wrong with that. Every QB started like that some grew into actual elite QBs some stayed stagnant

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The point is elite QBs even when they’re not on their A game they still make the important throws get that meaningful first down and more importantly don’t turn the ball over.
Goff is a system QB he is a game manager he’s just better than some at that role and there is nothing wrong with that. Every QB started like that some grew into actual elite QBs some stayed stagnant

hey, every one of those noted QB’s turned the ball over, just less frequently as they matured in their systems.

PM threw some egregious picks at bad times, with good teams in the mid-2000’s playoff games.

Brees turned it over against our Rams in the NFC CG.

Goff is the same guy that slung it all over against the Vikes and Chiefs, in big time games.

He’ll do it again.

Ellard80

Legend
I love Goff's arm. He can make all the throws and has the ability to be show uncanny accuracy. He just hasn't shown yet the ability to be consistent yet. The offensive line has made his numbers look worse this year for sure.

If he can do better on these two things he can become Elite.

1. See the field and find the open man.
2. Be more consistent in making the throws he has the ability to make.

If he can accomplish those two things he can be Elite or even HOF material. But he hasn't shown it yet.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I love Goff's arm. He can make all the throws and has the ability to be show uncanny accuracy. He just hasn't shown yet the ability to be consistent yet. The offensive line has made his numbers look worse this year for sure.

If he can accomplish those two things he can be Elite or even HOF material. But he hasn't shown it yet.

Agree with your points. One thing I would add is his movement in the pocket. He’s shown me that in certain instances he has the vision and ability to move around and make good throws. The problem I see is that he doesn’t do it enough. Hopefully as he continues to progress it’s something he does more of as he gains more confidence.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

may be nit picking, but he’s shown flashes of it, so we know it’s there.
The thing I’m worrying about more is McVay’s offense, now that defenses play them differently.

when the Rams get out of the 11 personnel PA and go fast, no huddle with Goff running the O from the los, they’ve been better.

jjab360

Legend
Its a joke to say Jimmy G is better than Goff. He's got a much better arm and more upside than Jimmy. But we have to acknowledge Goff's performance when the scheme isn't giving us an advantage, that part is true.

I'm not exactly sure what you're responding to, because i clearly didn't do that. I was making a general point that flavor of the week scrambling QBs aren't necessary to win games.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let's see...

4,688 yards passing, 32 TDs against 12 INT

That was Goff's stat line from last year.

My first thought is this; talk to me once Jimmy G delivers a stat line like that. Because, he hasn't.

Ever.

My second thought is this; people sure have short memories. I still remember how Goff played last year. I must be a genius - or something - to remember soooooo long ago. He was pretty damn good.

LOL.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Let's see...

4,688 yards passing, 32 TDs against 12 INT

That was Goff's stat line from last year.

My first thought is this; talk to me once Jimmy G delivers a stat line like that. Because, he hasn't.

Ever.

My second thought is this; people sure have short memories. I still remember how Goff played last year. I must be a genius - or something - to remember soooooo long ago. He was pretty damn good.

LOL.
@CGI_Ram dropping the mike