Interesting Power Rankings and Goff comparison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And for the record Fellows I think Goff was a better QB with Fisher than McVay.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Lol so all the miss throws to wide open receivers not seeing wide open receivers the interception he threw right at a defender is on McVay. The game plan wasn’t great but when Goff had a chance to execute or make something happen he didn’t.
I'm not arguing against that, but let's take a second to step back and think. What was Goff seeing? Nothing that McVay prepared him for. And then McVay didnt adjust. I think Goff had tunnel vision which is a side effect of adrenaline. I'm sure he felt completely mind boggled when the Pat's D was perfectly timing the switch from man to zone on his PA attempts. They'd be in man look then he would turn back around and they would switch to zone. You are correct that he missed stuff, but I am saying that I understand and dont hold it against him. How can I be mad or blame it on him when his coach let him down and never adjusted to give him the answers?

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I agree everything starts with the offensive line that’s why Brady has developed into Brady. I just feel like now that the league has caught up to McVay, I want to see what we really have in McVay and Goff can Goff continue to Grow and get better can McVay be more flexible and trust Goff to do more and can McVay for the love of God stick with the run game.
I think Mcvay and Goff and several others will get better. They're all pretty green still really especially in the playoffs and superbowl. But everyone was at one point. We just live in a world where everyone expects instant gratification sadly. Just have faith brothers and sisters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Goff’s versatility outside the pocket sparks Rams’ offense
1571927745231.png

Jared Goff loved getting a chance to throw on the run last week and the two-time Pro Bowl year quarterback hopes it's a new trend for the Rams' offense. Heading into this week's game in London against winless Cincinnati, Goff is ready to prove again he's more than just a pocket passer. Los Angeles (4-3) snapped a three-game losing streak, the team's longest under third-year coach Sean McVay, and Goff's versatile performance led the way.

"I think it was just the flow of that game and the way Sean wanted to call things," Goff said Wednesday. "I do like it. It gets you some easy completions and gets the ball out on the edge to our skill players. It is a big part of our offense and it worked for us on Sunday".
It certainly helped that the Rams' 37-10 blowout came against a Falcons unit that ranks at or near the bottom of most defensive categories. The Bengals (0-7) aren't much better, ranking worst in yards per game and eighth-worst in points a gm. The Rams are practicing in Atlanta for a couple of days before flying to London, and Goff likes that the offense is using the time away from home to enhance the playbook.
Passing game coordinator David Waldron said Goff was particularly effective on play-action keepers as he broke containment, got out on the edge of the defense and still had time to set his feet and follow through on his throws. The Rams have always had such options in their playbook under McVay, but they were able to take advantage of them with the Falcons' lack of pass rush. I think the only difference is that the whole defense is kind of moving with you so that windows come open at different times," Goff said. "It's very similar to when you're in the pocket."

Bottled up the week before in an ugly home loss to San Francisco, Goff passed for 268 yards and a pair of touchdowns to running back Todd Gurley and tight end Gerald Everett. His fun-reel highlight, faking out linebacker Deion Jones, came on a 1-yard touchdown run. Goff spiked the ball for effect.

The Rams were an offensive juggernaut on their way to winning the NFC title last season. They're a bit off so far this season. Losing to the 49ers showed the unit at its worst. Goff passed for a career-low 78 yards, the running game struggled as Gurley missed the game with a thigh bruise and the line lost right guard Joe Noteboom to a season-ending injury.
"Jared's athleticism is something we want to take advantage of, but that's kind of our core philosophy in terms of how we want to operate," McVay said. "I thought you saw especially on that first drive, the one that ended up working the backside end cut to Cooper (Kupp), good movement in the pocket. They went to a three-man rush. Rob (Havenstein) did a great job of pancaking his guy, and Jared kind of felt where the rush was, moved around and really worked all the way through his progressions."

Goff did some fine work in the pocket, too. His 13-yard TD pass to Gurley was a perfect read , and Goff lofted the ball into a perfect spot for Gurley to make an over-the-shoulder catch.

"I thought it was a great throw," McVay said. "At the time, he recognized the man coverage where (defensive end) Vic Beasley is peeling on him from an inside rush. To be able to just get that ball up and down long enough knowing that he can't leave it floating all day because Todd's going to end up running out of bounds and then there's a post safety coming up over the top.

"It was great touch, great trajectory and it was really a great play by both those guys."

Last edited:

jacktheripper85

Starter
Goff’s versatility outside the pocket sparks Rams’ offense
View attachment 31675

Jared Goff loved getting a chance to throw on the run last week and the two-time Pro Bowl year quarterback hopes it's a new trend for the Rams' offense. Heading into this week's game in London against winless Cincinnati, Goff is ready to prove again he's more than just a pocket passer. Los Angeles (4-3) snapped a three-game losing streak, the team's longest under third-year coach Sean McVay, and Goff's versatile performance led the way.

"I think it was just the flow of that game and the way Sean wanted to call things," Goff said Wednesday. "I do like it. It gets you some easy completions and gets the ball out on the edge to our skill players. It is a big part of our offense and it worked for us on Sunday".
It certainly helped that the Rams' 37-10 blowout came against a Falcons unit that ranks at or near the bottom of most defensive categories. The Bengals (0-7) aren't much better, ranking worst in yards per game and eighth-worst in points a gm. The Rams are practicing in Atlanta for a couple of days before flying to London, and Goff likes that the offense is using the time away from home to enhance the playbook.
Passing game coordinator David Waldron said Goff was particularly effective on play-action keepers as he broke containment, got out on the edge of the defense and still had time to set his feet and follow through on his throws. The Rams have always had such options in their playbook under McVay, but they were able to take advantage of them with the Falcons' lack of pass rush. I think the only difference is that the whole defense is kind of moving with you so that windows come open at different times," Goff said. "It's very similar to when you're in the pocket."

Bottled up the week before in an ugly home loss to San Francisco, Goff passed for 268 yards and a pair of touchdowns to running back Todd Gurley and tight end Gerald Everett. His fun-reel highlight, faking out linebacker Deion Jones, came on a 1-yard touchdown run. Goff spiked the ball for effect.

The Rams were an offensive juggernaut on their way to winning the NFC title last season. They're a bit off so far this season. Losing to the 49ers showed the unit at its worst. Goff passed for a career-low 78 yards, the running game struggled as Gurley missed the game with a thigh bruise and the line lost right guard Joe Noteboom to a season-ending injury.
"Jared's athleticism is something we want to take advantage of, but that's kind of our core philosophy in terms of how we want to operate," McVay said. "I thought you saw especially on that first drive, the one that ended up working the backside end cut to Cooper (Kupp), good movement in the pocket. They went to a three-man rush. Rob (Havenstein) did a great job of pancaking his guy, and Jared kind of felt where the rush was, moved around and really worked all the way through his progressions."

Goff did some fine work in the pocket, too. His 13-yard TD pass to Gurley was a perfect read , and Goff lofted the ball into a perfect spot for Gurley to make an over-the-shoulder catch.

"I thought it was a great throw," McVay said. "At the time, he recognized the man coverage where (defensive end) Vic Beasley is peeling on him from an inside rush. To be able to just get that ball up and down long enough knowing that he can't leave it floating all day because Todd's going to end up running out of bounds and then there's a post safety coming up over the top.

"It was great touch, great trajectory and it was really a great play by both those guys."

Great to hear this. I pointed this out earlier in the thread that Goff needs to do more of this. He’s proven to be capable.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
My second thought is this; people sure have short memories. I still remember how Goff played last year. I must be a genius - or something - to remember soooooo long ago. He was pretty damn good.

I can remember 30 years ago like it was yesterday. I just can't remember yesterday like it was yesterday. :unsure:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Personally, I think Jared Goff is fine outside of the pocket. Seems to me most his mistakes are when he's pressured while staying in the pocket. Roll him out some more and I think he'll get a better rhythm.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not arguing against that, but let's take a second to step back and think. What was Goff seeing? Nothing that McVay prepared him for. And then McVay didnt adjust. I think Goff had tunnel vision which is a side effect of adrenaline. I'm sure he felt completely mind boggled when the Pat's D was perfectly timing the switch from man to zone on his PA attempts. They'd be in man look then he would turn back around and they would switch to zone. You are correct that he missed stuff, but I am saying that I understand and dont hold it against him. How can I be mad or blame it on him when his coach let him down and never adjusted to give him the answers?
I agree 100 percent on that but that comes back to my point that at this stage he’s a game manager so if McVay fails so does he and I don’t really put that label on Goff as much as I do for McVay.

KayJay

Starter
Lol that’s the definition of a game manager. Look I’m not saying that he don’t have the capacity to do more I’m just saying McVay is using him like one. He has two plays he get from McVay he allowed to audible to either play he has 2 reads on his passing play and McVay expects he stays on script i.e game manager. I’ve said this since last year the offense will be a lot better if McVay actually trusted Goff and McVay creates bad habits for Goff got him locking onto his first reads staring down receivers because the system worked last year and all Goff had to do was follow the plan but this year McVay has been out coached numerous times and it has shown with Goff

How is that the definition of a game manager? Goff has been called greedy, and unafraid to make mistakes. Spreading the ball around is not a game managing concept. That's what an actual quarterback does to keep you guessing. Game managers hand the ball off often as many times as they throw it; Goff throws more. Again you've had no facts, just a strawman argument the entire time.

You're clearly selling Goff short, because you don't think he does anything. If McVay didn't trust Goff, he wouldn't be averaging so many pass attempts per game. Game managers aren't nearly allotted as many chances to make mistakes. Alex Smith is a game manager, Bradford was a game manager, Teddy Bridgewater before he got to New Orleans was a game manager.

Again, what's being said is pure fallacy because the head coach sees things differently about Goff. He's said numerous times Jared is the system. Nothing you've said is a fact, in actuality its based completely on your opinion. Which leads me to my original opinion, you are selling Goff short.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is that the definition of a game manager? Goff has been called greedy, and unafraid to make mistakes. Spreading the ball around is not a game managing concept. That's what an actual quarterback does to keep you guessing. Game managers hand the ball off often as many times as they throw it; Goff throws more. Again you've had no facts, just a strawman argument the entire time.

You're clearly selling Goff short, because you don't think he does anything. If McVay didn't trust Goff, he wouldn't be averaging so many pass attempts per game. Game managers aren't nearly allotted as many chances to make mistakes. Alex Smith is a game manager, Bradford was a game manager, Teddy Bridgewater before he got to New Orleans was a game manager.

Again, what's being said is pure fallacy because the head coach sees things differently about Goff. He's said numerous times Jared is the system. Nothing you've said is a fact, in actuality its based completely on your opinion. Which leads me to my original opinion, you are selling Goff short.

how is me saying he’s a game manager selling him short because it doesn’t fit YOUR narrative or YOUR view of him. I think Goff is damn good qb, he still just a game manager to me. And I think McVay is to blame for that. So far I haven’t seen any Growth from Goff as a passer from last year to this year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Interesting Power Ranking from Doug Farrar on TouchdownWire, currently has the Rams at 15, which seems a bit low to me, but I get it after 3 game skid (Dallas was 13th after similar fate). I can see the rating based on standings; we would be out of the playoff running if the season ended today. I still see quite a few winnable games, especially if the offensive lines issues can be improved with Edwards in the lineup and by some scheming on McVay's part (like some of the two and even three TE sets last week, as well as getting the RBs more involved in the passing attack, for example).

This quote is what struck me most, a comparison of Goff and the Whiners' JG: "San Francisco's ostensible franchise quarterback has completed 68.3% of his passes this season, but he's also thrown six interceptions to just seven touchdown passes, and he's been inconsistent at best when throwing deep and under pressure. Head coach Kyle Shanahan may have a Jared Goff on his hands here -- a quarterback who must have a highly schemed passing game to succeed, and who doesn't look very good outside of that. You can do some damage in the postseason with such a quarterback, but at a certain point, the 49ers are going to need Garoppolo to tear it loose outside of structure."

I get some of it - the TD/Int ratio (this season), the tendency to struggle under certain looks and pressures. There are echoes of that system qb knock on Goff there in Farrar's comments as well. Still, I think Goff is the much better qb, based on some of the throws he can make and how fluid he can be when he gets in rhythm. I still think Goff has a high ceiling if he can improve in pocket awareness a bit and in reading defenses (finding that 2nd and 3rd option/making quick decisions). I think he has a long way to go before calling him elite - whatever that word means - and I won't claim Goff is the best qb under pressure (have to give that to Wilson, with Rodgers not far behind, then Brady just because he's mastered that EP system so well). But I think all things equal - a decent O Line and some semblance of a running game, and Goff's the stronger qb.

Just curious what my RoD brethren think...
I think all quarterbacks are a product of the system they're working with, and I think that system is a product of the adjustment to the other 21 players on the field.

Consider Rodgers - sure, he's always been good at picking up blitzes, but the media narrative was that he's in decline - then he's not in decline with the changes LaFleur brought.

Product of the system? Just a good quarterback bouncing back? Personnel changes? Variation in the competition? All of the above regarding his resurgence, really.

Goff will be fine, he looked great with the designed roll out, which to be fair is at least a designed option for Wilson. The success with calling audible protections will come with offensive line improvements and route adjustments.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I only see one issue with Goff....He always wants the bigger play, and sometimes that means winding up a bit and he has a tendency to get stripped...
One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is his toughness...he's taken some pretty good shots and (knock on wood) survived
You can definitely see that in his reads where he goes back to an earlier route and throws a little late, and I don't even think the timing isn't there, but sometimes just indecision.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You can definitely see that in his reads where he goes back to an earlier route and throws a little late, and I don't even think the timing isn't there, but sometimes just indecision.
Listening to Waldman’s podcast they were saying Goff has more on his plate this year, more receiving options with Everett as part of 4 major reads, with Kupp, Cooks, Woods. The added mental processing affects accuracy. You can see Goff calling protections at LOS now. He’s making transformation to more mature QB.

KayJay

Starter
Listening to Waldman’s podcast they were saying Goff has more on his plate this year, more receiving options with Everett as part of 4 major reads, with Kupp, Cooks, Woods. The added mental processing affects accuracy. You can see Goff calling protections at LOS now. He’s making transformation to more mature QB.
This is what I've been trying to say in other threads. Goff is in a transition this season. The returns have been pretty ugly because of the line. But in the long run, this will make him a much better QB. Pressure makes diamonds. He's in an ugly cocoon at the moment. McVay is trying to make a Butterfly. And quite honestly I applaud him. So that the next superbowl he'll be an advantage, rather than a liability.

Ellard80

Legend
Goff hasn't been a very good QB this year, the Rams offensive line also hasn't been very good this year. Last two seasons were pro-bowl seasons. Goff is the only Quarterback judged only on the negatives of his previous year rather than the positives; but that's nor here, nor there. Lets talk about this...

"Talk to people that aren't Rams fans and see what they think about Goff. That's a good measuring stick".

That's a pretty covert way of saying "I'm not a fan of the guy, a few people agree with me even though they don't watch our games." You mean the same people who would take Khalil Mack over Aaron Donald as the best defensive player in football? Or maybe the same people that waited till Carson Wentz O-Line went to complete shit, and started blaming him for the woes instead of the fact his wide receivers have some of the highest drop ball percentage in the NFL. What about the same fans declared Goff a bust, and instead of giving him the credit where it was due the next year where he came back and diced everyone up, they just moved the goal posts saying it was all McVay.

Goff isn't a elite, he's working towards that. This isn't about hidden bias, no one is out to get him. But the truth is most people just don't like him, they never did. Let's keep it 100%, I'm going to be real as possible with you...

Because Goff is not Black, and he's not running and bombing it downfield; not making exciting displays of athletic ability, there is nothing to like about him right now. Those are the one's they love to talk about. Case and point, Daniel Jones & Sam Darnold as well as guys like Philip Rivers get ignored every season. Matt Ryan has been blistering hot and still gets ignored compared to other more mobile QB's like Jacoby Brissett and Baker Mayfield who has done nothing. Bring up Aaron Rodgers; but he's always had a fan base that came straight from those who watched Farve play. And Brady? Brady is a pocket quarterback with popularity because the Patriots have one of the loudest fanbase's I've ever seen.

I am Black, and I can tell you right now; the color of our skin can be very polarizing at the Quarterback position; especially a winning one. Or just being the type of QB who runs like a chicken with their head cut off is more polarizing like Mayfield. But Goff? He's boring to people, so they don't bother watching games. And that's why its ludicrous to take into account how fans of other teams feel about our QB. LOL They don't watch our games, they probably just hop on you tube and watch highlights and look at the box score.

And acknowledging Goff's amazing throw's, and singing his praise after you've seen him best some pretty damn good teams isn't someone calling him 'amazing'. Its called acknowledging his body of work instead of just 15 games. You don't have to see it the way others on the forum do. But its pure fallacy to use fans of other teams perspective considering Niner fans absolutely love Jimmy G, and he hasn't even had a great start to the current season he's playing in at the age of 27. Bears fans were in love with Trubisky for literally no reason. And the two guys I've mentioned haven't done nearly as much as Goff has, you know like...made a Superbowl due to two clutch throws under pressure to get us in field goal range?

Really that's what I'm saying.. some more continued arm-chair psycho analysist. I also like you said "im not a fan of the guy" because I dared to criticize one thing about him. That's silly beyond belief.

My point was pretty obvious, when we are fans we tend to be overly critical or overly complimentary of the players on our team.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Game manager is a term used to describe a qb that is managed by the play caller not to have a chance to make a mistake that might cost his team a game. Usually this team likes to rely on the running gam and defense and special teams. They will win mostly low scoring games. That is definitely not goff. If you are trying to say he has away to go before you are comfortable with his play or that he doesnt make enough plays under pressure or he makes to many mistakes, then fine. But the rams have had a lot of game managers and not since Warner have we had some one this good. Not saying he is warner and I'm not saying I am happy with some of his play. He needs to take the sure 3rd down play some times and he locks on to a receiver sometimes and he has been inconsistent since Detroit, but he can sling it and he is on his way to being top 5 qb. So, needs to improve, but no way is he a game manager.

Ram65

Legend
Me saying he’s a game manager don’t mean I don’t like him don’t mean I don’t think he’s in the top half at his position because he is. Me saying he’s a game manager is me Saying be patient with him to grow into what everybody want him to do but people calling him elite and think he’s above ridicule is crazy to me when he still has a lot of flaws in his game

The "game manager" label has a bad connotation to it. While Goff was lighting it up last year it was far too early to call him "elite". There has to be more than two levels of QBs in the NFL. It can hard to be critical of Goff around here. The jury is still out on where Goff will end up as an NFL QB. He has some great traits and some flaws. It would be great if McVay gave him more flexibility to change plays at the LOS instead of the pass or run option.

Without a doubt, Goff has more physical talent than Jimmy G. I'm not sure where Goff is going to end up as an NFL QB. At times he makes great difficult throws look easy while at other times he misses some easier throws. It seems like he is locking into one receiver too often. That could be partly due to less protection this year. The rest of this year will be a great test to see how Jared responds in a lot of must-win type games against some good defenses.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think all quarterbacks are a product of the system they're working with, and I think that system is a product of the adjustment to the other 21 players on the field.

Consider Rodgers - sure, he's always been good at picking up blitzes, but the media narrative was that he's in decline - then he's not in decline with the changes LaFleur brought.

Product of the system? Just a good quarterback bouncing back? Personnel changes? Variation in the competition? All of the above regarding his resurgence, really.

Goff will be fine, he looked great with the designed roll out, which to be fair is at least a designed option for Wilson. The success with calling audible protections will come with offensive line improvements and route adjustments.
insightful and informative, keep up the great work!
Thank you