I'm really struggling to see a passing O solution for the Rams...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have had five NFL's seasons to observe & judge what TE Lance Kendricks brings to this Rams offense. Lance is the 8th highest paid Ram. He was not even a starter. He was a back up to TE Jared Cook & back up to FB Cory Harkey. Ram Org paid this back up 5.6 million this past 2015 season. Rams is signed up to pay him close to another 13 million for 3 more seasons. My judgement is the Rams did not get its money worth this season from Lance nor Jared.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/positional/

I have no issues with Lance being here next season & part time starting but I would prefer that Jared is released ASAP & then go after another veteran like well seasoned Saints Ben Watson, Bears Zack Miller or even Colts Coby Fleener. I believe one of these vets will go well with Lance.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Wow you guys are depressing!!

No, they don't have the answers now. But we have a whole off-season with free agency and draft to improve personnel and training camp to refine fundamentals (where they were thrown into the fire as rookies). Offense will be the clear priority this off-season. (not counting the possibility of finding new homes and schools for the kiddos).

And it's not like they have NOTHING to build on. They have Gurley back healthy to start the season. The young offensive line will naturally improve - Havenstein, Wichman, Brown going into 2nd years, GRob maybe the light turned on the last few weeks. Tavon will be back. Britt might be back and showed some chemistry with Keenum.

My opinion? They could be 3 players away from a damn good offense if people improve as we hope - a monster on the oline interior (only one is needed, can be C or G), a reliable WR threat, and a QB (which still might be Mannion if he had a chance).

Is any improvement for certain? Of course not, but the trend is up imho. You want a guarantee? Buy a washing machine and you can stare at that on Sundays.

Sheesh. It's like that OTHER website around here.

PS - feeling fidgety? Go shop for Free Agents at spotrac to entertain yourselves. Circle March 10 on your calendars. I've started making my lists.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if you know this but Cook and Kendricks COMBINED for 64 catches, 726 yards and 2 TD's.

Both TD's came from Kendricks, Cook didn't score all year and he somehow led the team in targets.

Both of these guys can go as far as I'm concerned.

Kendricks is fairly cheap. Keep him. Let Cook walk.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have had five NFL's seasons to observe & judge what TE Lance Kendricks brings to this Rams offense. Lance is the 8th highest paid Ram. He was not even a starter. He was a back up to TE Jared Cook & back up to FB Cory Harkey. Ram Org paid this back up 5.6 million this past 2015 season. Rams is signed up to pay him close to another 13 million for 3 more seasons. My judgement is the Rams did not get its money worth this season from Lance nor Jared.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/positional/

I have no issues with Lance being here next season & part time starting but I would prefer that Jared is released ASAP & then go after another veteran like well seasoned Saints Ben Watson, Bears Zack Miller or even Colts Coby Fleener. I believe one of these vets will go well with Lance.
Your take on Kendricks is my take on Britt.
I have no problem with Cook going but as far as Kendricks the need to replace him relates directly to finding someone who is an improvement in terms of being a TE....blocking and catching. Kendricks may not be excellent at either but he is solid at both.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Lance is the 8th highest paid Ram. He was not even a starter. He was a back up to TE Jared Cook & back up to FB Cory Harkey. Ram Org paid this back up 5.6 million this past 2015 season. Rams is signed up to pay him close to another 13 million for 3 more seasons. My judgement is the Rams did not get its money worth this season from Lance nor Jared

this seems to be a pattern around the hole nfl. players seem to play real well in contract years then once they get a big contract they seem to relax and not play as well. I worry about this because we have a lot of player due a new contract.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam @fearsomefour

Shouldn't we wait...you too @jrry32 , shouldn't we wait until we get a competent QB b4 throwing away all our veteran receivers? I mean, I agree we need to add some upgrades...but if we lose all the veterans, who's going to play?

Grab a QB....and some pieces to go with the offense.

I'd also like to restructure guys like Cook...

Ram Man

Rookie
Kendricks is fairly cheap. Keep him. Let Cook walk.
Kendricks is not, in fact "fairly cheap." See his 2016 contract numbers per spotrac.com below. Not vouching they are correct.

Base Salary: Roster Bonus Cap Hit
$3,250,000 $1,250,000 $4,500,000

Those are big boy tight end cap numbers. Those are Greg Olson ($5.1M cap), Delanie Walker ($5.275M cap), Owen Daniels ($5M cap) type cap numbers. That's about the 16th highest 2016 cap hit for any TE. As a back up/2nd tight end his cap number cannot be justified given his production even if you assume he'll have significantly better production next year. You can bet the Rams regret overpaying for Kendricks this past off-season, although he claimed he was offered more $ by Atlanta and turned it down.

fearsomefour

Legend
@BonifayRam @fearsomefour

Shouldn't we wait...you too @jrry32 , shouldn't we wait until we get a competent QB b4 throwing away all our veteran receivers? I mean, I agree we need to add some upgrades...but if we lose all the veterans, who's going to play?

Grab a QB....and some pieces to go with the offense.

I'd also like to restructure guys like Cook...
Yeah, probably.
Cook cap number is $6M this year, Britt is $4M, Quick is a FA.
If Cook was used correctly, in my opinion, attacking the seam, not so much the little 5 yard outs, I think he can make plays. His inconsistency is maddening for the money. Much of the same can be said for Britt. Britt at $4M is more of a keep than Cook at $6M. I would also resign Quick. He will come on the cheap and given another off season to recover may be a solid WR option.
The Rams need to add multiple guys this off season I think. Letting Cook go and his $6M and resigning Quick for a fraction of that makes sense to me. Going into FA/Draft with Britt, Austin, Quick, Marquez at WR is ok, leaves two or three spots to be addressed in the draft and or FA.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kendricks is not, in fact "fairly cheap." See his 2016 contract numbers per spotrac.com below. Not vouching they are correct.

Base Salary: Roster Bonus Cap Hit
$3,250,000 $1,250,000 $4,500,000

Those are big boy tight end cap numbers. Those are Greg Olson ($5.1M cap), Delanie Walker ($5.275M cap), Owen Daniels ($5M cap) type cap numbers. That's about the 16th highest 2016 cap hit for any TE. As a back up/2nd tight end his cap number cannot be justified given his production even if you assume he'll have significantly better production next year. You can bet the Rams regret overpaying for Kendricks this past off-season, although he claimed he was offered more $ by Atlanta and turned it down.

Disagree. $4.5 million for a good role player isn't much. Getting rid of both TEs is a bad plan. Kendricks is a solid all around veteran. If the Rams are smart, they cut Cook and draft a talented TE. Develop him behind Kendricks until he's ready to hit the field. Kendricks can be a solid starter at TE.

We're not hurting for cap room. No reason to create another hole we have to fill in FA or the draft. I highly doubt the Rams regret paying Kendricks this off-season. They can get out of his contract at any time.

Ram Man

Rookie
Disagree. $4.5 million for a good role player isn't much. Getting rid of both TEs is a bad plan. Kendricks is a solid all around veteran. If the Rams are smart, they cut Cook and draft a talented TE. Develop him behind Kendricks until he's ready to hit the field. Kendricks can be a solid starter at TE.

We're not hurting for cap room. No reason to create another hole we have to fill in FA or the draft. I highly doubt the Rams regret paying Kendricks this off-season. They can get out of his contract at any time.

$4.5M for a 2nd TE that may be a "good role player" is excessive and objectively a bad contract for the Rams. How many "good role player" TE's are under contract to make $4.5M next year? Answer: None. Ask yourself why that is. To put it in perspective most teams have about 3 TE's on their roster at any time. In 2015 the median cap hit to a team for all of their TE's combined was roughly $4M-$4.5M.

As to your statement that "Kendricks can be a solid starter at TE", there is little evidence to support such an assertion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$4.5M for a 2nd TE that may be a "good role player" is excessive and objectively a bad contract for the Rams. Ask yourself why that is. To put it in perspective most teams have about 3 TE's on their roster at any time. In 2015 the median cap hit to a team for all of their TE's combined was roughly $4M-$4.5M.

As to your statement that "Kendricks can be a solid starter at TE", there is little evidence to support such an assertion.

No, it's not. I'd have no issues giving Mark Barron $4.5 million a year to be a backup LB and safety.

And Kendricks won't be a backup next year if the Rams let Cook go.

There's plenty of evidence to support such an assertion. Kendricks isn't a first year player.

How many "good role player" TE's are under contract to make $4.5M next year? Answer: None.

That's actually incorrect. In fact, in 2015, there were multiple teams that had backup TEs with contracts in the range of $3 to $5 million.

Not to mention the fact that the Rams aren't your typical NFL team considering how often we use two TE sets.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would not advocate any release of Lance Kendrick in 2016 period.

On the flip side I am 100% in for the early release of Jared Cook's cap $$$$ (16.6 million for 16/17 seasons) MUST be utilized to retain Ram defensive play makers.....a category that Jared Cook will never fall into no matter who is playing QB for this Ram team.

If Cory Harkey was to go down in 2016 having Lance here greatly softens a blow of that nature. Neither practice squad players like Justice Cunningham or Zack Laskey have proven to be capable of performing yet.

FRO

Legend
The solution is both simple and complex. Get a franchise QB.
(and upgrade at WR and TE)
It depends on what the definition of franchise is, but Alex Smith level of QB with better WRs and TEs gets us into the playoffs. A top tier QB makes us Super Bowl contenders. Draft a first round QB, pair him with a veteran and Mannion to complete. Go with an all of the above type approach.

Ram Man

Rookie
That's actually incorrect. In fact, in 2015, there were multiple teams that had backup TEs with contracts in the range of $3 to $5 million.

I stand by my assertion that no other good role player tight ends are under contract to make $4.5M in 2016. There are none other than Kendricks. It is WAY above market and represents a bad contract for the Rams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No, it's not. I'd have no issues giving Mark Barron $4.5 million a year to be a backup LB and safety.

And Kendricks won't be a backup next year if the Rams let Cook go.

There's plenty of evidence to support such an assertion. Kendricks isn't a first year player.

Not to mention the fact that the Rams aren't your typical NFL team considering how often we use two TE sets.
Doesn't it appear to be a good draft for TE's this year? Not great, but good.

Say rounds 3 - 5.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Say rounds 3 - 5.
Sure looks that way...that's why I would look strongly at some well seasoned UFA TE's like Zack Miller, Ben Watson Or Coby Fleener.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sure looks that way...that's why I would look strongly at some well seasoned UFA TE's like Zack Miller, Ben Watson Or Coby Fleener.
Let me clarify. I think there might be a couple 1st to 2nd rounders, and then several in the 3 - 5 range, right now....could change. I wouldn't want to take one until the 3rd at earliest though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Say rounds 3 - 5.

I'm content with it. Could have been better. Pretty average overall. But there are some names I like. Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper are two guys that I'm high on right now. We'll see if that changes as more games become available.