I'm really struggling to see a passing O solution for the Rams...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And it's depressing, to say the least.

Where to start?

Fisher has a track record of favoring a plodding passing attack and that's not likely to change. It certainly doesn't enhance our ability to compete for a playoff spot.

Our current QB roster has a lackluster look. And I don't see a QB whisperer on our coaching staff. Weinke has been a major disappointment. Under his tutelage, Foles deteriorated in half a season to 3rd string status. From a QB that beat the Seahawks and Cards, to a QB that couldn't see or hit the broad side of a barn door.

Keenum has the look of maybe being a backup. Capable of winning a few conservatively called games if the starter is hurt.

Mannion is a complete unknown to fans. Virtually no film on him with which to make a projection. But most draft reviews on him were underwhelming. Hardly gives a fan strong hope that he's gonna be our starter in '16.

This QB draft class seems to be considered so so. At least for a team picking at #15. And I'm sure not crazy about spending premium draft picks to trade up for a so so QB. Those picks are needed for positions such as WR, TE, DE, or maybe a MLB.

Boras is a definite maybe as an OC. He was hampered by the timing of his "promotion". Plus he was restricted by the boundaries outlined by Fisher. I think he's our likely OC, but is he gonna be able to do much in the passing game? I dunno. But I'm certainly not overconfident. Those thinking that Fisher will hire a strong outside OC and give him complete control should put down the bong. Ain't gonna happen.

And our various receivers are not exactly All Pros, either. Austin is a terrific playmaker in a gadget role. But not as a #1 WR. Upgrades over Britt and Cook might come in the draft. Probably will. But even so they will need time to get up to speed. And where is the evidence that our coaching staff has the ability to develop top drawer WR's and TE's? I don't think it's a stretch to think that Weinke, Sherman, and Garcia could all be goners this offseason. In fact, it would be a harder case to make for keeping them.

Is it possible that our passing game salvation might come via trade or FA? I hope that they're considering everything.

So here we sit with an anemic O sitting in the league basement with the Niners. A league joke that strikes absolutely no fear in the hearts of opposing D's.

I think it's fair to say that our passing O has a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Or am I missing something?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree...this is my feeling too.

I think they will try to build this team like his Titans team that went 13-3 with Kerry Collins. I don't think we'll be spending high picks on WR or QB, although I hope we do for a QB. Definitely don't want to draft a WR unless we change our offense.

I'd like to sign some vet FA WRs and stand pat at 15 and snag Wentz or Cook. Then we 3 picks on day 2 that we can use for some combination of MLB/DL/OL. We don't really need to "fix" our passing offense - we just need to convert 3rd downs. A vet WR and new QB could hopefully help with that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah... I can't get my crystal ball to work either.

Needless to say. There will be changes on the 53 and the coaching staff. It's impossible to predict anything at this point... well, until I get this damn crystal ball to operate properly.

I can make one bold statement right now though... I guarantee that Fisher's plan for the offense is not that it has a "plodding passing attack". :huh:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think it's a stretch to think that Weinke, Sherman, and Garcia could all be goners this offseason. In fact, it would be a harder case to make for keeping them.
This^ is my personal, Fondest Hope!!:shades:

Athos

Legend
We don't really need to "fix" our passing offense - we just need to convert 3rd downs. A vet WR and new QB could hopefully help with that.

Lol, Whut?

The reason our 3rd downs are terrible is a direct cause of an awful passing attack.

And you kinda still have to put the ball in the EZ as a QB.

Collins level QB talent won't take a team to the playoffs these days. Sure as hell won't win a SB when you start facing the elite QBs on very good teams.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Fisher has a track record of favoring a plodding passing attack and that's not likely to change. It certainly doesn't enhance our ability to compete for a playoff spot.

This is where it starts and ends. If Fisher doesn't change his beliefs it doesn't matter who you bring in.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Its the QB.

I know I'm not saying anything groundbreaking - but better weapons, a genius OC, a brick wall of a line - none of it means much of anything without a slinger back there who can diagnose where the ball should go and then get it there.

We have Case Keenum, Nick freaking Foles, and Sean Mannion. Mannion - for one reason or another - doesn't seem to be getting the coaches attention. Maybe its cause he isn't ready, maybe he just stinks - but he didn't get a shot at all this year, and Fish is already going into next year mentioning Case, Nick, and potential outside help.

So its outside help. Its gotta be. Which means free agency or the draft.

The draft has a coupla guys that we could pin our hopes to and a several more longer term project types - which may as well be Mannion part 2.

Free agency could be really interesting.

Sam Bradford? We could do worse.
RGIII?
Kaep?
Even Ryan Fitzpatrick is a pretty sizeable upgrade - and thats a pretty pathetic state of affairs.

But the focus of this offseason has to be about the QB position.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Its the QB.

Exclamation_mark.png

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
In an ideal situation Cleveland takes Lynch, we trade up to 4th with our 1st and 2 2nd round picks and draft Goff.

The problem with that is a rookie QB isn't going to improve our offence to the extent it needs to improve (8 points per game). Do you still retain Fisher after 5 season without the playoffs? Do you work yourself into a Bradford situation where just when your QB should be getting comfortable in the system you have to change it all up again. Neither scenario is desirable.

Would be far simpler if we'd fired Fisher and hired a new guy who could pick his own QB and work together for at least 3 years, oh well it is what it is at this point.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
it's not the worst thing ever to play a rookie QB. The closest we have been to the playoffs in the last decade or so was Sam's rookie year.

And we have seen several rookies make runs with good teams around them.

I could go the rookie route if the kid has franchise type talent.

Heck, even if I knew it meant we wouldn't be in the playoffs for two more years I could get behind the decision if I knew he was a long term solution back there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Our current QB roster has a lackluster look. And I don't see a QB whisperer on our coaching staff. Weinke has been a major disappointment. Under his tutelage, Foles deteriorated in half a season to 3rd string status. From a QB that beat the Seahawks and Cards, to a QB that couldn't see or hit the broad side of a barn door.

Keenum has the look of maybe being a backup. Capable of winning a few conservatively called games if the starter is hurt.
You say whisperer, but for what you ask you need Jesus.... LOL
I'm with a bunch in here, a lot of this ends with a QB.... And poor Cigs & Boras & Weinke gotta take the blame......Seriously... Foles did Foles....What was Weinke supposed to do? Keenum IS being coached up...very safe and efficient...but isn't TRUSTED enough to actually win a game...We just need a QB and some weapons...The QB will be a weapon....
Since we're 15th, I'm hoping for Wentz now...

Athos

Legend
If Fisher won't go in for QB and passing game help... the team will never amount to much.

it's not the worst thing ever to play a rookie QB. The closest we have been to the playoffs in the last decade or so was Sam's rookie year.

As @jrry32 said, it's all case by case. If we draft a 1st round QB and he battles it out and beats Keenum and Mannion, you start him and if he has his lumps, he has his lumps. I had my chuckles at Pick6 Bortles last season, but he took that learning experience and channeled it into a 4K season with 30+ TDs. If that team had a D worth talking about, they're probably playoff bound.

Wentz for example and Cook, both come from pro-style offenses. Both have the arm talents you can't really teach with minor mechanical issues to clean up. I wouldn't mind putting a kid out there, especially if our O-Line comes together stronger as a unit and healthier too next season. Playoffs? Eh. But if he learns and improves as much as Bortles did season to season, the fuck cares? Not to mention, the rook would be able to rely on Gurley. Bortles had no one in the run game to rely on.

It's all about the balls to take that QB @ 15 or trade up for your guy and committing to giving him help (TE PLEASE THAT ISN' TCOOK!).

Mannion is cut from Foles cloth. Big guy, but an absolute statue. About the same arm talent. Can he read better? Who knows. Nothing convinced me from his college days.

Can't just put on hopes on hitting pay dirt on a 3rd round QB and a UDFA QB.

very safe and efficient

Too safe can be a massive problem (where you all at, Sammy haters?) and efficient is debatable if he can't finish drives with anything more than a FG try. And after seeing more of his innaccuracy, even on completions, have to say... efficient isn't quite the word. Better than Foles? Fuck yea. But beating out the worst QB in the NFL is like having the morbidly obese chick with cold sores next to the supremeo plain Jane with eeeeeh complexion.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Two words: Ben Rothliesberger. That Pittsburgh team made it all the way to AFC champ game with a rookie QB, losing to the Patriots. That was 2004.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
At this point there's only one reason Fisher hasn't changed the offense in any way. It's pride. He's too arrogant and bullheaded to see that something needs to change in his philosophy.

He went and got the DC, and let's be honest. He knew Williams would be coming back after his suspension. After he got the DC he got the personnell he needed to succeed. Why wouldn't you do the same on offense? Is this his plan to stay under the cap with all these defensive stars? We know there won't be enough money to go around if we had to pay an elite QB too.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of the fans say we need a new QB while same blame the receivers. Some say we need a new OC, while some say it is Fisher who is holding our offense back. Ultimately, it is Fisher's call. For me, however, I don't care who or what is at fault, but I am sick and tired of watching a totally inept passing offense. I thought west coast offenses were supposed to complete a very high percentage of short passes and let the athletes run after the catch. We can't even get the ball into their hands! Don't we run a version of the west coast offense? Steve Young used to kill teams with his rollouts and a 3-5 yard pass to a moving TE or RB that would gain YAC. Why can't we do the same??? I'm just tired of the excuses. Don't mean to vent, but aren't you folks getting tired of discussing this? All I know is the Cardinals offense is not that good without Carson Palmer. I also know, however, that Bruce Arians is still going to try and run the same offense. All I see from Fisher is three yards and a cloud of dust, with an occasional check-down pass so we don't throw an interception. Well, it hasn't worked in four years now. Let's try something new!!! Draft a QB, draft a WR, and let's try again. But please do not extend Fisher until the end of next season!!!!! Fish wanted Bradford to play for a contract his last year... let's see Fish do the same.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Steve McNair had some decent years under Fisher but never threw for more than 3387 and 22 TDs. The team's best year (W-L)with him at QB 12-3 2847 yds 15 TD 13 Int

They also had a 12-3 record with Kerry Colins throwing for 2676 12 TD and 7 Ints

Probably not going to see a Rams QB throwing for 3500-4000 yards and 30 TDs

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd like to sign some vet FA WRs and stand pat at 15 and snag Wentz or Cook.

TBH, i'm not opposed to taking Ragland at 15. He seems to be a good fit for our D. This of course is if we cut CL and JL to sign the rest of our defensive stars. We can always trade back into the back end of the first to pick up Wentz or Cook.

Ram Man

Rookie
For 2016 there likely will be no radical improvement in the passing game. Any QB the Rams are likely to draft will either struggle in year 1 as he develops or will sit the bench for most of the 1st year. It takes almost all QB's time to learn the NFL game before they play well. If the Rams go with acquiring a good veteran quarterback, then there are a whole set of issues to contend with:
1. Who is available that will be a radical improvement? It is rare that such a quarterback becomes available on the open market. Right now the best available FA names are Cousins and Fitzpatrick.
2. If a good quarterback is available, will he want to play for the Rams? Doubtful.
3. If a good quarterback is willing to play for the Rams, what will it cost the Rams? The Rams will have to overpay to land a veteran QB. Will it be worth it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off I think the Rams need to sign a FA receiver who can step right in and provide a threat who catches the effin ball. Our wideouts ARE a problem. TE is also a problem. They need to upgrade pass catchers period. If they add a nice wideout in FA then they will have two very valuable second round picks to continue the upgrade even if they take a QB in round 1.

At QB it will almost surely be a draft pick where they look for an upgrade but of course then you have to wait for the draftee to adjust to the NFL and whatnot. My guess is they draft someone in rounds 1 or 2 and then Keenum holds the job until that rookie or Mannion is ready. Not gonna rule Mannion out even though I suspect he'll end up being a backup type guy.

OC probably needs an upgrade but obviously Fish will stick with Boras and succeed or fail with him. But either way given the presence of Gurley I think the Rams offense can be quite good if they find their QB upgrade and add some pass catching talent. The QB upgrade does not need to play right away, either. Keenum is capable of keeping the engine warm while the rook gets ready, it's not optimal but I think the Rams can win that way and hopefully as the season progresses start working the kid in.

Athos

Legend
Steve McNair had some decent years under Fisher but never threw for more than 3387 and 22 TDs. The team's best year (W-L)with him at QB 12-3 2847 yds 15 TD 13 Int

They also had a 12-3 record with Kerry Colins throwing for 2676 12 TD and 7 Ints

Probably not going to see a Rams QB throwing for 3500-4000 yards and 30 TDs

Then prepare yourself for mediocrity and 8-8 seasons at best until he's shown the door and finally spares us all and retires.