I'm really struggling to see a passing O solution for the Rams...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, Whut?

The reason our 3rd downs are terrible is a direct cause of an awful passing attack.

And you kinda still have to put the ball in the EZ as a QB.

Collins level QB talent won't take a team to the playoffs these days. Sure as hell won't win a SB when you start facing the elite QBs on very good teams.

Our 3rd down % is bad because of our passing attack, yes. I think we all have different definitions of "fixed" when it comes to our passing attack.

I prefer to think of it within the realm of what Fisher likes/wants to do - so the only fix we really need from that perspective is to get a QB that can convert 3rd downs (i.e. Fisher won't be getting us a guy that can win MVP).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, our entire running game consisted of young/inexperienced players or rookies. That will improve next year, which in turn will help the passing game.

For our offense to improve 8 pts/game, it's not all on the QB.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
There is hope.... we did run some kind of friggin' run and shoot deal with Shotty before Fisher put the kibosh on that - so there is a glimmer of hope that Fisher will hire an offensive guru and let him control all play calling

But... The chance of hat happening is slim to none because of what you already seen and what came out of Fisher's mouth at the presser

The first obvious reason you know the offense won't improve in 2016 is that Fisher didn't hire that offensive guru in 2015 -- instead he mulled over the worst decision of all Rams history with the hiring of Cignetti, Weik-off, and Garcia

Those are his guys he picked to run his offense

More proof -- Fisher anoints Keenum the starter in 2016 when he's not under contract - like what?
Clearly Mannion is strictly in the "development" phase of his career -- that mean in three more years and will end signing with New England and end up winning a Super Bowl ring backing up JimmyGaropollo -

I mean he anoints Keenum

So even if there are other options it's not looking like there will be wholesale changes - but more of the same. You know one his old coordinators in Tennessee or the son of a former coach like Lombardi's kid who got fired - but Weike-off ain't going anywhere

* nice work you did with Nick Folds, Weik-off

Thank God we have Gurley

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sounds good....who'd you have in mind?

I think Kearse, who has had a very good season with Seattle and more importantly who is still young, would be a wise target. If they're really not F'ing around they could go out and get Jeffery, assuming Chicago doesn't franchise him.

HERE is a sortable list of who's up for FA, some very good upgrades there.

fancents86

Starter
I don't think our offense is as doom and gloom as everybody thinks it is. You don't need a number 1 wr to win games in this league. Baltimore, Arizona, Seattle, Kansas City and New England are a few teams with good receivers, some could be a true #1, but they spread the ball around. Hell KC barely uses their WR's. I think our problem is how our coaches are utilizing our talent. We've gotten Tavon the ball more, so that's a plus. Everyone shyts on Britt but he has impressed me this season. Kendrick's, where was he all season? Dude dropped some balls early on but he was catching pretty much everything last week. Bailey was never used appropriately and unfortunately may never be. Marquez shows promise every game but never played a full game as a receiver until last week. We picked up JJ Worton a few weeks ago who has me stoked for next season. We have the best slot receiver to ever play the game in Wes Welker but we seem to only use him on third down.

So we have Tavon, Britt, Kendrick's, Marquez, Worton, and Welker, that doesn't look too shabby for ball catchers and maybe it's me but that does not seem like a below average set of receivers and te's. Cut cook and quick and add some players through the draft and I think we will be ok.

With qb I think we need to go FA. I don't see any worthwhile qb's coming out this season to move up for or even really gamble with as our starter. Plus having a rookie, Keenum, and a dude who doesn't even get practice reps, as our only qb options is a terrible idea IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fisher didn't have a poor O or passing attack when he had McNair, which IMO is the ONLY guy he's had under center who was any good at all. He's had to try to make chicken salad out of chicken shit an awful lot of times.

The list of QB's Fisher has had looks like that Browns jersey hanging in the window of the ad agency in Cleveland if you remember that pic. Chandler, McNair, Volek, Collins, Young.......and I just went and looked and he had a couple of other scrubs that he played for a couple of games in a few seasons. Out of the entire list only McNair can be considered a real quality QB. Collins was essentially done and on the scrap heap, Young needs no explanation and neither does Volek or Chandler.

It's hard to judge what Fisher likes to do because when he had McNair and some decent (not great just decent) WR's they had a decent O and won a lot of games. They didn't throw it all over the yard but at that time not many teams were. The Rams had just shown the NFL how to kill through the air and the NFL hadn't reconstructed the rulebook totally.

I think with a QB that is above average this team would have won 10 games this past season. Let's say they had traded for a different QB, take your pick, this season would have been entirely different. They may have won 9 games if Fisher had benched Foles a few games earlier too. Blame him for that of course and I agree he waited too long.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I hate to darken the mood even further here, but what decent free agen tQB/WR/OC would even want to play/coordinate under Fish?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Kearse, who has had a very good season with Seattle and more importantly who is still young, would be a wise target. If they're really not F'ing around they could go out and get Jeffery, assuming Chicago doesn't franchise him.

HERE is a sortable list of who's up for FA, some very good upgrades there.
but do those FA's want to play here? wisniewski didnt. for less money even.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
First off I think the Rams need to sign a FA receiver who can step right in and provide a threat who catches the effin ball. Our wideouts ARE a problem. TE is also a problem. They need to upgrade pass catchers period. If they add a nice wideout in FA then they will have two very valuable second round picks to continue the upgrade even if they take a QB in round 1.

Just not sure who that could be - IF Jeffery hits the market he is going to get huge dollars, we MIGHT be able to get Gordon if he is FA - not sure what that market is (will there be bidding war for him or will he end up with prove it deal), Crabtree - maybe, there are some others that flashed talent - but I wouldn't count on them to really break out and become a #1.....

Ozoneranger

Rookie
For 2016 there likely will be no radical improvement in the passing game. Any QB the Rams are likely to draft will either struggle in year 1 as he develops or will sit the bench for most of the 1st year. It takes almost all QB's time to learn the NFL game before they play well. If the Rams go with acquiring a good veteran quarterback, then there are a whole set of issues to contend with:
1. Who is available that will be a radical improvement? It is rare that such a quarterback becomes available on the open market. Right now the best available FA names are Cousins and Fitzpatrick.
2. If a good quarterback is available, will he want to play for the Rams? Doubtful.
3. If a good quarterback is willing to play for the Rams, what will it cost the Rams? The Rams will have to overpay to land a veteran QB. Will it be worth it?

I think it's pretty clear they'll overpay, even if it's a bridge QB. After all, they overpaid for Foles, Cook, Long, etc.

Athos

Legend
Last word.

Plenty of options...

Plenty...

It'll be no ones but Fishers if he doesn't try every avenue including another QB, one that isn't a "shucks I guess we should take one," sort.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One would hope that Fisher see's all the veteran outstanding coaching talent he has lined up on the defensive side & use that wisdom to coach up what he already has on the roster now.

Another hope would be that Fisher runs heavy again in free agency & in this May's draft to off set this great divide between strong defense vs weak offense. Last season Fisher went for 7 offensive draft picks before turning his attention to his favorite side defense.

Then the problem is getting all this young offensive talent collected in two drafts coached up to be an effective offense not seen here since his arrival. Fisher sure threw a wet blanket on me when he spoke that Keenum, Mannion & even Foles will compete here in 2016:eek: as the Rams QB trio. :puke:

Ram Man

Rookie
So we have Tavon, Britt, Kendrick's, Marquez, Worton, and Welker, that doesn't look too shabby for ball catchers and maybe it's me but that does not seem like a below average set of receivers and te's.

It's you. That is a sad group of players if it makes up the bulk of any team's pass catchers. Far below average. Those 6 players combined for 139 catches this year. Of them who would even be a number 2 receiver on a team with an average group of receivers? Answer: None. A few comments on these 6:

Tavon- I like him and he has the highest upside of the 6. However, he's just a gadget player so far. There have been many like him in the league and few end up working out well.
Britt- I like him too. However he is a one-dimensional veteran player. He played 16 games this year averaging 2 catches a game. Add his long term average of 3 TD's per season and you get a player act would get be cut by almost any other team.
Kendricks- Another veteran player who has played plenty and who has an established track record. Unfortunately that track records is one of a nothing special 2nd tight end.
Marquez- A fringe special teamer. May not make roster next year.
Worton- Won't make the roster next year.
Welker- Was a great player. No team would touch him as a free agent last year until the desperate Rams came calling. I believe he'll be about 35 when next season starts. That would make him the oldest slot receiver in the league. His best days are behind him. I hope for his sake that he retires now.

fancents86

Starter
It's you. That is a sad group of players if it makes up the bulk of any team's pass catchers. Far below average. Those 6 players combined for 139 catches this year. Of them who would even be a number 2 receiver on a team with an average group of receivers? Answer: None. A few comments on these 6:

Tavon- I like him and he has the highest upside of the 6. However, he's just a gadget player so far. There have been many like him in the league and few end up working out well.
Britt- I like him too. However he is a one-dimensional veteran player. He played 16 games this year averaging 2 catches a game. Add his long term average of 3 TD's per season and you get a player act would get be cut by almost any other team.
Kendricks- Another veteran player who has played plenty and who has an established track record. Unfortunately that track records is one of a nothing special 2nd tight end.
Marquez- A fringe special teamer. May not make roster next year.
Worton- Won't make the roster next year.
Welker- Was a great player. No team would touch him as a free agent last year until the desperate Rams came calling. I believe he'll be about 35 when next season starts. That would make him the oldest slot receiver in the league. His best days are behind him. I hope for his sake that he retires now.
We'll have to agree to disagree then brother. I believe if this roster was under a good coordinator and a decent qb, you'd see a ton of difference. But we've only seen it under incompetent coaches and qbs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The solution is both simple and complex. Get a franchise QB.
(and upgrade at WR and TE)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The solution is both simple and complex. Get a franchise QB.
(and upgrade at WR and TE )

Not sure if you know this but Cook and Kendricks COMBINED for 64 catches, 726 yards and 2 TD's.

Both TD's came from Kendricks, Cook didn't score all year and he somehow led the team in targets.

Both of these guys can go as far as I'm concerned.

Ram Man

Rookie
St. Louis must look for incremental improvement in its passing game next year. It'll be a bridge year toward the goal of becoming a very good passing offense in 2017. This off season is time to bring in some rookie WR's and TE's to groom and perhaps take some changes on younger low cost free agents that can be put under contract for 2-4 years.

Athos

Legend
Not sure if you know this but Cook and Kendricks COMBINED for 64 catches, 726 yards and 2 TD's.

Both TD's came from Kendricks, Cook didn't score all year and he somehow led the team in targets.

Hunter Henry bruh. Eifert 2.0.

fancents86

Starter

Kendrick's situation here frustrates me. We spent big money on him last season with his extension, yet I barely saw anything thrown to him this season. He dropped a few early on in the season, and then they stopped throwing to him it seemed. Then last week he was targeted a bunch and caught pretty much everything. Hard to judge where a player is if they abandon him for more than half the season.