I'm having a hard time *not* applying for this job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Thanks for the insight! I'm not moving to Alaska, even though it looks gorgeous and the pay is ridiculous. I did some research on the cost of living, and it's not so bad. I just don't know if I could live in a place where it never gets above 65 degrees - ever. I like my 4 seasons now.

Daylight is also a bitch in the middle of the winter in AK. I was fortunate to be there in the middle of the summer visiting my godfather in Juneau and the sun set around 9pm, but then you get the reverse in the fall and winter: sunset before 4pm :cautious:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Daylight is also a bitch in the middle of the winter in AK. I was fortunate to be there in the middle of the summer visiting my godfather in Juneau and the sun set around 9pm, but then you get the reverse in the fall and winter: sunset before 4pm :cautious:
Yeah, that's the only thing that would bother me. Long, cold, dark winters.
So, they'll have to pony up if they want the X Man. :ROFLMAO:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yeah you'll end up with 5 more kids and all that extra money you make will go to food and shoes and weddings and college. And you'll end up like this guy.

ifyouhaven'talready

1637589118_hippie_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My dad was the provost marshal on a base in Alaska in WWII, to keep the soldiers away from the natives they let a red light area operate provided all the "ladies" had weekly clean bills of health. One of dads jobs was to collect the papers verifying that so when asked what pops did in the war, I tell people he was a whorehouse inspector.(y)
Now that's a job I'd move to Alaska for

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Digging through some old pics, I thought of this post.

Just wanted to put up this pic of me and Judy Norton-Taylor. 1986 in King Salmon. She was there for the USO show. So nice. She spent a lot of time with us and could not have been nicer. I know that some celebs have a reputation for being not so great people but she was fantastic.

By the way---I can't believe how young I look here. Ugggh.

Tn2uyxPWIPj1kWuqfWPuhjT3izIHYpQ8-9XGjPKJFks=w305-h207-p-no

This other beautiful young lady was also part of the show. Just great human beings to fly to a remote site and perform for Christmas. I will always be grateful.

DWm8DA9mnEAg0M3yIJSr2Nx8EAFRfoOpIqduMUJgCIg=w302-h207-p-no

I had a great time in Alaska.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Digging through some old pics, I thought of this post.

Just wanted to put up this pic of me and Judy Norton-Taylor. 1986 in King Salmon. She was there for the USO show. So nice. She spent a lot of time with us and could not have been nicer. I know that some celebs have a reputation for being not so great people but she was fantastic.

By the way---I can't believe how young I look here. Ugggh.

Tn2uyxPWIPj1kWuqfWPuhjT3izIHYpQ8-9XGjPKJFks=w305-h207-p-no

This other beautiful young lady was also part of the show. Just great human beings to fly to a remote site and perform for Christmas. I will always be grateful.

DWm8DA9mnEAg0M3yIJSr2Nx8EAFRfoOpIqduMUJgCIg=w302-h207-p-no

I had a great time in Alaska.

I hope you hit the second one.

OK well the first one too. But the second one first. Then the first one second.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Tell them you want an ATV for the summer and a snowmobile for the other 11 months.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tell them you want an ATV for the summer and a snowmobile for the other 11 months.
I got the job, but I haven't committed to it yet. This is a difficult decision for me, and I'm struggling with it. One the one hand Anchorage is offering me $111K/year, but it's Alaska. Far from my kids, and the weather is kooky. On the other hand, I have a job offer pending in North Carolina for a little less than $60K/year, but I'd have to move out of the mountains to Raleigh, and it's almost half the pay. I can manage on less pay, but I can save much more in Alaska. And I could save more in Alaska, but I don't know if I'd be happy being over there. And the moving expense is about $10K each way.

Frak.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I hope you hit the second one.

OK well the first one too. But the second one first. Then the first one second.

She was gorgeous.

She sang a few songs for the show and while they were there she was very friendly.

No--I didn't bang either of them, ya pig.

I kind of want to say some things about the women on the airbase but let's just say that the married women may have been the horniest. The women were NOT shy on that base. The first woman I hooked up with was at New Years Eve party at the NCO club. I was at the bar laughing at this civilian contractor who worked on base. He would stand at the corner drinking coffee and booze and talk to himself all night long. So this woman asks me to dance and when I got out there she got real close, real fast and said that I had to give her a New Years kiss. Her tongue was out of her mouth before I got near her lips. The problem on a base like that is that everyone knows everything there, and there is no avoiding anyone either.

So if you had beer goggles on, the next day you had to deal with it.

And there were only three places to drink(one actually on base--not counting a place where you could have private parties).

Everyone knows who is doing everyone too.

The one I REALLY wanted was this female sergeant who worked in the Morale, Recreation and Welfare Office. She had a fantastic ass. And she was a HUGE tease. But I think to this day I kind of screwed that up. I just didn't know how to take her sometimes but I'll tell you this: she KNEW she had a great ass. I was in the club with her once and a friend of mine was D.J. for the night. I loved the Deep Purple album "Perfect Strangers" and my friend(to this day I think he knew exactly what he was doing) announces a request he says I made and it's the song "Knocking at your Back Door". As soon as it comes on the girl turns to me and smiles and says, "Oh..."Knocking at your Back Door", huh?"

I can't imagine what my face looked like but she had this way of intimidating me.

I really botched it with her.

Still, I loved Alaska.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I got the job, but I haven't committed to it yet. This is a difficult decision for me, and I'm struggling with it. One the one hand Anchorage is offering me $111K/year, but it's Alaska. Far from my kids, and the weather is kooky. On the other hand, I have a job offer pending in North Carolina for a little less than $60K/year, but I'd have to move out of the mountains to Raleigh, and it's almost half the pay. I can manage on less pay, but I can save much more in Alaska. And I could save more in Alaska, but I don't know if I'd be happy being over there. And the moving expense is about $10K each way.

Frak.

Best of luck making that decision, X. There is a sense of isolation--even in Anchorage. But there are people who absolutely fall in love with it. I hope you're happy with whatever you decide and things work out for the best.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
She was gorgeous.

She sang a few songs for the show and while they were there she was very friendly.

No--I didn't bang either of them, ya pig.

I kind of want to say some things about the women on the airbase but let's just say that the married women may have been the horniest. The women were NOT shy on that base. The first woman I hooked up with was at New Years Eve party at the NCO club. I was at the bar laughing at this civilian contractor who worked on base. He would stand at the corner drinking coffee and booze and talk to himself all night long. So this woman asks me to dance and when I got out there she got real close, real fast and said that I had to give her a New Years kiss. Her tongue was out of her mouth before I got near her lips. The problem on a base like that is that everyone knows everything there, and there is no avoiding anyone either.

So if you had beer goggles on, the next day you had to deal with it.

And there were only three places to drink(one actually on base--not counting a place where you could have private parties).

Everyone knows who is doing everyone too.

The one I REALLY wanted was this female sergeant who worked in the Morale, Recreation and Welfare Office. She had a fantastic ass. And she was a HUGE tease. But I think to this day I kind of screwed that up. I just didn't know how to take her sometimes but I'll tell you this: she KNEW she had a great ass. I was in the club with her once and a friend of mine was D.J. for the night. I loved the Deep Purple album "Perfect Strangers" and my friend(to this day I think he knew exactly what he was doing) announces a request he says I made and it's the song "Knocking at your Back Door". As soon as it comes on the girl turns to me and smiles and says, "Oh..."Knocking at your Back Door", huh?"

I can't imagine what my face looked like but she had this way of intimidating me.

I really botched it with her.

Still, I loved Alaska.

I was on an airbase before I was 18 and legal to drink. I wasn't in the airforce, but was there with a guy who had just gotten out. In Colorado.

ALL of the women were horny and flagrant about it. Because the ratio was about 20-1 male to female. It was a feckin sausage party in there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Frak.

Alaska is (insert dumbass answer about miles away from kids here) (then you can leave out It's Alaska)

Need I say more? orshouldiremindyouofwhatitwasliketonothaveenoughparentingmyfriend

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Alaska is (insert dumbass answer about miles away from kids here) (then you can leave out It's Alaska)

Need I say more? orshouldiremindyouofwhatitwasliketonothaveenoughparentingmyfriend
Just tell me what to do. :oops:

bluecoconuts

Legend
What would you do?

Me, I'd go to Alaska. The money is better, which makes for better retirement, living, etc, and while it's further away from family, with internet and airplanes, it's not like I'd never be able to see or talk to my family. Plus Alaska would be fun to the adventure, and you'll get the northern lights, which is awesome.

However essentially my entire family lives overseas, so I don't mind being away from them, I already am. I talk to them plenty, but I saw most of them for the first time in over 10 years when I went back last summer. Plus military deployments and such helped get me used to being far away and not being able to talk to family very much, so I have a different mindset about a lot of these things. To me the desire to see new things and have adventures is bigger than my desire to be close to family. My girlfriend's entire family lives in St Louis, one side literally all live in the same neighborhood (one of the brothers is rich, bought a huge plot of land and built a bunch of houses on it for everyone), I can't imagine being like that, but to them they are all for it, to them being closer to family is more important. I also don't have children or anything either, so that changes things a lot too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Me, I'd go to Alaska. The money is better, which makes for better retirement, living, etc, and while it's further away from family, with internet and airplanes, it's not like I'd never be able to see or talk to my family. Plus Alaska would be fun to the adventure, and you'll get the northern lights, which is awesome.

However essentially my entire family lives overseas, so I don't mind being away from them, I already am. I talk to them plenty, but I saw most of them for the first time in over 10 years when I went back last summer. Plus military deployments and such helped get me used to being far away and not being able to talk to family very much, so I have a different mindset about a lot of these things. To me the desire to see new things and have adventures is bigger than my desire to be close to family. My girlfriend's entire family lives in St Louis, one side literally all live in the same neighborhood (one of the brothers is rich, bought a huge plot of land and built a bunch of houses on it for everyone), I can't imagine being like that, but to them they are all for it, to them being closer to family is more important. I also don't have children or anything either, so that changes things a lot too.
Yeah, that's one of the pros of moving there for me too. The adventure. It's a new place, beautiful scenery, nature, hiking, snowmobiling (though they insist you call it snow machining) the northern lights, etc. The cons are that there are reportedly infestations of mosquitos, and the winters are uber long, cold, and dark. Which is off-set by the summers which are mild, long, and full of daylight. And with the money I could fly my family over there a few times a year if they wanted to visit too.

I love it in NC too though. In the mountains, it's also beautiful. Driving up and down the blueridge parkway, camping, letting my dogs run and play, there are actually changes in season, and Asheville is so eclectic. I love it there too. It's like a hippie paradise. It's really just that the money is kinda meh. But like I said, I could easily manage because I have additional income coming in for the next couple of years from the sale of my business.

Part of me wants to pack up and jet just to satisfy the adventurous side, and the other just wants to chill.

GAH!

I can't fucking figure out what to do.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I was on an airbase before I was 18 and legal to drink. I wasn't in the airforce, but was there with a guy who had just gotten out. In Colorado.

ALL of the women were horny and flagrant about it. Because the ratio was about 20-1 male to female. It was a feckin sausage party in there.

LOL!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, that's one of the pros of moving there for me too. The adventure. It's a new place, beautiful scenery, nature, hiking, snowmobiling (though they insist you call it snow machining) the northern lights, etc. The cons are that there are reportedly infestations of mosquitos, and the winters are uber long, cold, and dark. Which is off-set by the summers which are mild, long, and full of daylight. And with the money I could fly my family over there a few times a year if they wanted to visit too.

I love it in NC too though. In the mountains, it's also beautiful. Driving up and down the blueridge parkway, camping, letting my dogs run and play, there are actually changes in season, and Asheville is so eclectic. I love it there too. It's like a hippie paradise. It's really just that the money is kinda meh. But like I said, I could easily manage because I have additional income coming in for the next couple of years from the sale of my business.

Part of me wants to pack up and jet just to satisfy the adventurous side, and the other just wants to chill.

GAH!

I can't freaking figure out what to do.

How hard would it be to move back if you were to take the job? Obviously you couldn't pack up and leave after a month, but a year or two?

I dunno man, it's a pretty tricky situation for you, I think it'll just take some time and reflection. Maybe try not to overthink it and go with what your gut says?

PA Ram

Pro Bowler

GAH!

I can't freaking figure out what to do.

I get the "adventure" thing. I've always been drawn to that sort of thing. But if you have what you want already, and you can make it with what you have, you have everything you need.

Or just take Walter's advice: