I'm having a hard time *not* applying for this job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Alaska though? Mehhhhhhh.

wJMqiB8.png

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Cost of living, your penchant for having your balls frozen, and would the wife even go may be your barriers! :p

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Am i missing something? 100k to live/work in AK?? No thank you!! Maybe if this was for a 3 month crab fishing tour, but even then..prolly nah,haha. I have been through a lot of Alaska in late June, early July and lemme tell you, it is BEAUTIFUL. It is the other 10 months I would be scared of, :eek:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I had an ex-boss who lived in Alaska for 12 years, until his wife couldn't take the S.A.D. anymore. He had lots of cool stories, though... like, how in the middle of winter, you could toss a cup of hot coffee into the air, and it turns into ice fog. And, how a co-worker once boarded a plane in AK, and as the plane climbed, the ice kept icing up the wings, despite the de-icing measures (inflatable leading edges on wings), until the plane started descending lower, and lower, and lower, and then... POP! the ice popped off, and they re-landed back at the airport. The announcer said, "We'll be attempting to fly again in the morning"... but, he didn't think anyone boarded that flight again!

Athos

Legend
Gimme a million......

And I'd only do it for a knee.

Scratch that.

I'd have to fucking use that million to repair my shit knees after living on fucking planet Hoth for a year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
An old Army buddy of mine lives in Alaska, crab fishing and such, he loves it. If you're really into nature it's very beautiful, lots of hunting and stuff as well. Anchorage isn't too bad for cold, averages 5-30 degrees in the winter according too Google..... Of course coming from Florida will make it harder.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I lived in King Salmon, Alaska for a year while in the Air Force. It's a remote site only accessible by boat or plane.

I had a great time--got to see Katmai National Park(as soon as the boat gets you there you're greeted by a ranger who gives you a speech about the bears--hint: make noise so you don't surprise them--you can't outrun them)and it was beautiful---hundreds of salmon swimming in clear water. We even had a one lane bowling alley. I got to meet Judy-Norton Taylor(she was fantastic and hung out with us at the NCO club) Barry Williams from The Brady Bunch(very cool and funny) and Catherine Bach of "Dukes of Hazzard()shorter than I thought--a little stand-offish--didn't hang out with us--kept to herself)while they were touring with U.S.O.

Great parties.

I was able to catch a flight to Anchorage for several days and did a tour of the strip joints.

They had this one place called, "The Great Alaskan Bush Company" which had some beautiful women but man oh man--stay away from them if you don't want to spend money--lol--a friend of mine spent several hundred bucks on drinks and put it on his VISA which he then had to explain to his wife.

Then there was "The Crazy Horse Saloon". Biker type bar where the women's stretch marks had stretch marks.. Cellulite city. And the really great part is that they sold a calendar with these women on it. To this day I regret not getting one.

I had a lot of laughs there.

Nice around Anchorage. Beautiful mountains.

I remember some of the streets just had letters like "E" street or "K" street. It had a frontier sort of feel to me.

I had a fantastic time in Alaska--lots of great stories. Great characters there too(cigar smoking, bear hunting older woman who ran one of the maintenance shops).

The part I didn't like?

The insects. Mosquitoes. They will eat you alive in the summer. If I had to work outside I worse a net. When I went to Katmai I was constantly spraying repellent.

They are no joke.

But while I wouldn't want to live there, I'd visit again in a heartbeat.

Alaskan-Mosquitoes_1.jpg

http://www.akbushcompany.com/the-great-alaskan-bush-co-show-club.php

0d7a22562685d26c1f196e7bfb2fa24c.jpg

cracengl

Rookie
Boy with that job you'd really be moving' on up. Or down...

Tip your waitresses.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I lived in King Salmon, Alaska for a year while in the Air Force. It's a remote site only accessible by boat or plane.

I had a great time--got to see Katmai National Park(as soon as the boat gets you there you're greeted by a ranger who gives you a speech about the bears--hint: make noise so you don't surprise them--you can't outrun them)and it was beautiful---hundreds of salmon swimming in clear water. We even had a one lane bowling alley. I got to meet Judy-Norton Taylor(she was fantastic and hung out with us at the NCO club) Barry Williams from The Brady Bunch(very cool and funny) and Catherine Bach of "Dukes of Hazzard()shorter than I thought--a little stand-offish--didn't hang out with us--kept to herself)while they were touring with U.S.O.

Great parties.

I was able to catch a flight to Anchorage for several days and did a tour of the strip joints.

They had this one place called, "The Great Alaskan Bush Company" which had some beautiful women but man oh man--stay away from them if you don't want to spend money--lol--a friend of mine spent several hundred bucks on drinks and put it on his VISA which he then had to explain to his wife.

Then there was "The Crazy Horse Saloon". Biker type bar where the women's stretch marks had stretch marks.. Cellulite city. And the really great part is that they sold a calendar with these women on it. To this day I regret not getting one.

I had a lot of laughs there.

Nice around Anchorage. Beautiful mountains.

I remember some of the streets just had letters like "E" street or "K" street. It had a frontier sort of feel to me.

I had a fantastic time in Alaska--lots of great stories. Great characters there too(cigar smoking, bear hunting older woman who ran one of the maintenance shops).

The part I didn't like?

The insects. Mosquitoes. They will eat you alive in the summer. If I had to work outside I worse a net. When I went to Katmai I was constantly spraying repellent.

They are no joke.

But while I wouldn't want to live there, I'd visit again in a heartbeat.

Alaskan-Mosquitoes_1.jpg

http://www.akbushcompany.com/the-great-alaskan-bush-co-show-club.php

0d7a22562685d26c1f196e7bfb2fa24c.jpg
Thanks for the insight! I'm not moving to Alaska, even though it looks gorgeous and the pay is ridiculous. I did some research on the cost of living, and it's not so bad. I just don't know if I could live in a place where it never gets above 65 degrees - ever. I like my 4 seasons now.

cracengl

Rookie
Yeah. See I knew that would be lame and possibly not well received, but my sense of humor revolves around my own self enjoyment. It's the bad reactions that amuse me.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Doesn't Alaska pay you to live there too? Like the average citizen receives a $2,000 check at the end of the year? Thought I read that somewheres.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Doesn't Alaska pay you to live there too? Like the average citizen receives a $2,000 check at the end of the year? Thought I read that somewheres.
They get paid money from some oil fund.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/17/us-usa-dividend-alaska-idUSKBN0HC2E320140917

Nearly every Alaska resident will soon be $1,884 richer, thanks to an annual payout from an oil wealth trust fund that has been credited with keeping many low-income families out of poverty, state officials said on Wednesday.

More than 640,000 Alaska residents will receive the payment from The Alaska Permanent Fund next month, which Department of Revenue Commissioner Angela Rodell says is the third largest since the state began paying such sums in 1982 with a $1,000 check.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Update:

I'm interviewing for this job on Tuesday.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Update:

I'm interviewing for this job on Tuesday.
Interviewer: Well your resume checks out and you seem to be a great fit for our company, what are some attributes you can bring to our team?

X: I'm the dude.

Interviewer: ...You're the what?

X: I'm THE DUDE.

Interviewer: Okay...um anyways, this is a family company. We do things outside of work as well to become closer and have better chemistry with one another, what are some recreational activities you enjoy?

X: Oh the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

Interviewer: I'm...I'm sorry I don't understand...Acid? Like the drug?

X: Fuck sympathy! I don't need your fuckin' sympathy, man, I need my fucking johnson!

Interviewer: I think you need to leave. But thanks for coming in anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Get a big signing bonus.

Good luck my man I hope you get it.
Yeah, I don't know if I'm gonna take it yet. I'm just seeing what they can offer me. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd do it if I didn't have a family I'd be uprooting. I love the outdoors and the seasons don't really matter to me. I have a Landscape business and in my younger days I got tired of sitting around all winter only to get busy working as soon as things thawed and then didn't get to do anything.

So I decided to embrace the winter and I went all out. I would hike in the local mountains three days a week. I was out with my dog every day. I got Snow shoes and Cross Country Skis. I would vacation in North Dakota and Northern Minnesota in Jan/Feb. It was great. Your body adjusts and you learn to prefer it colder and drier rather than in the 30s and damp. Xcountry skiing at Midnight -20 degrees in North Dakota is awesome. The snow is crystalized and you glide so sweetly.

You just have to have the right gear and learn how much clothing is too much. Be more prepared, etc....

It is all about your frame of mind.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What about those long nights and long ass days ? That'll drive you mad no?
Like that movie Insomnia
I like equal parts light and dark