I'm glad Bradford went down...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

reggae

You can renegotiate ANY contract if both parties agree.

Bradford may never play or get a starting spot and good contract again if he pushes the Rams to pay him. Who would want that nightmare on their team?
are you sure this is what you want? Because, if I'm Bradford. I take the 20 uber-large settlement. All of which we are on the hook for this year btw. And parlay that into a ranch in northern Canada. Where they likely still have water.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure you can. But there are also contract stipulations. Many of which we're not aware of. I'm not sure why you're hung up on his giving money back either. I mean, would you? Chances are this is his last year on the job. Wouldn't you want some severance? Whatever happens, I'm sure Bradford is going to be fair about it - as is Kevin Demoff. It's really up to to three people (Demoff, Condon and Dogra) as to how this turns out. I don't think we should worry much about it. We have a very fair Organization with a terrific cap manager, so we should probably just let it play out.

I agree that the team has been fair. We still need to see that with Bradford, though I perceive him as a fair person, that's why they have agents. My point is I hope he wants to be a Ram enough to ease the pay and cap enough to keep this team together. That he wants to play Rams ball, not just any ball. It's not about money any more for him or, at least, it shouldn't be.

My point is only that the contract needs to end here, by whatever means necessary, and within reason, until he is in playing shape and being paid to perform. He's not going to go hungry and neither are his great great grandchildren if they don't squander what has been invested in him.

Nobody wants a resurgence of Sam more than me. It's his play.

RamzFanz

Damnit
well, that is the key isn't it? But, what is his incentive? And renegotiate never means paycut. Not in the NFL anyway.It means a different vehicle that payment is made.It might also mean that you will never see the money you renegotiated into. ie Scott Wells. Don't worry though. Bradford will be paid.

So a player can't tear up his own contract?

reggae

So a player can't tear up his own contract?
I think you may be grasping at straws on this. It's pretty simple stuff. Bradford was coming off an injury sure. I get that and so does everyone else. But, big Jake blew an assignment. Sure, Jake is coming off a knee injury too. But, Jake's ineptitude played a part in Sam's injury. This is an airtight case. When I suggested $20M. Iwas being generous to the Rams. No way Condon settles for that. So you tell me. DOES a player EVER tear up a contract? Especially when he has a case.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think you may be grasping at straws on this. It's pretty simple stuff. Bradford was coming off an injury sure. I get that and so does everyone else. But, big Jake blew an assignment. Sure, Jake is coming off a knee injury too. But, Jake's ineptitude played a part in Sam's injury. This is an airtight case. When I suggested $20M. Iwas being generous to the Rams. No way Condon settles for that. So you tell me. DOES a player EVER tear up a contract? Especially when he has a case.

Ineptitude? Are you insinuating that Jake Long, or any other O lineman, has never missed a block unless he was inept? Seriously?

Perhaps you would be a realist for a moment. Sam Bradford will have missed 25 straight regular season games before he has any real hope of even walking on the field of an actual regular season game again, and that's best possible scenario.

Now add that to all the games he missed before that due to injury. Now consider his missed games in college from injury.

Who is going to hire him at that pay grade? Would the Rams? Would you?

Who hires him at all? It's an important question. If he drags the Rams over the coals with no consideration towards the Rams, he would be poison. Who would be foolish enough to pay him a big contract when he probably won't even be in pre-season much less training camp next season and would hose them if he got injured?

If Bradford thinks he's done in the NFL, he hammers the Rams for all he can get. If he doesn't think he's done, and I don't think he has to be, he makes a deal commiserate with where he is in his opportunities.

If Bradford DOESN'T pony up, he is done in the NFL IMHO. If he does, the Rams will probably put him in their back pocket because he's a huge talent.

reggae

Ineptitude? Are you insinuating that Jake Long, or any other O lineman, has never missed a block unless he was inept? Seriously?

Perhaps you would be a realist for a moment. Sam Bradford will have missed 25 straight regular season games before he has any real hope of even walking on the field of an actual regular season game again, and that's best possible scenario.

Now add that to all the games he missed before that due to injury. Now consider his missed games in college from injury.

Who is going to hire him at that pay grade? Would the Rams? Would you?

Who hires him at all? It's an important question. If he drags the Rams over the coals with no consideration towards the Rams, he would be poison. Who would be foolish enough to pay him a big contract when he probably won't even be in pre-season much less training camp next season and would hose them if he got injured?

If Bradford thinks he's done in the NFL, he hammers the Rams for all he can get. If he doesn't think he's done, and I don't think he has to be, he makes a deal commiserate with where he is in his opportunities.

If Bradford DOESN'T pony up, he is done in the NFL IMHO. If he does, the Rams will probably put him in their back pocket because he's a huge talent.
Something you are overlooking. Sam get's paid whether he takes another snap or not. It's just a matter of how much. I made my case. I showed you the options. Apparently you don like any of them. That's ok. But, I wouldn't count on Sam to be taking a pay cut. He has a legitimate gripe. No possible way he loses. Except maybe in the big rock candy mountains.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is cool to speculate on and everything, but everyone who does is out of their depth as well. Nobody knows how his contract is structured for this or what the Rams even plan to do. We're talking about millions of dollars and there's a career at stake too.

We can't solve something like this, and it's getting close to labeling Bradford as some sort of villain now. Unless you know his motives, wouldn't it be more prudent to assume that he's not out to damage the very same Organization that gave him this shot? For all we know, he's already planning on restructuring to help the team.

Let it play out and leave the money matters to the people who are responsible for safeguarding it, yeah? Or not. It's just a suggestion.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Rams won't want the dead money on the off-chance Sam can't come back. No one else is going to sign him after the Rams release him for cap reasons and the Rams will probably still be talking to him about resigning him.

The way it's likely to happen is that he'll be put on IR and earn his entire 2014 pay as per the CBA. He'll likely be released first day he can be released since the Rams won't want to push dead cap money into 2016 (half of his bonus would prorate if he was cut after June 1st, iirc). Based on his rehab and progress and if he can pass physicals, the Rams may extend him a contract offer for 2015.

What's likely better for Sam is to sit out 2015. I know that's got to suck to hear that 2 seasons are lost, but he's not Adrian Peterson. And if he does need the bone graft, there's just not much chance he'll be ready for the 2015 season, anyway.

I'm rooting for him, even MORE than I rooted for Thomas Davis after his 3rd ACL and he came back. It's possible. It may not be with the Rams and it may not be for a couple of years, but I wish him nothing, but the best.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm just afraid Quick and Britt won't be as productive. Bradford had such a huge arm and could throw lasers. I think Bailey has an enourmous year now.
Hill will take more chances than Bradford. He will force the ball into some coverage situations and let his guys compete for the ball. The one TD in the Saints game is a decent example of this. Bradford has a stronger arm for sure, but, Hill may actually better take advantage of Britt and Quick and their physical abilities.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hill will take more chances than Bradford. He will force the ball into some coverage situations and let his guys compete for the ball. The one TD in the Saints game is a decent example of this. Bradford has a stronger arm for sure, but, Hill may actually better take advantage of Britt and Quick and their physical abilities.

Yep. And he reads defensive coverages well and makes fast decisions. The dude is not bad at all. Now we get to see if he can be really good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back to the OP, I think it's a pretty fair point. If we were going to lose him, this would be an opportune time to do so.
But I cant stop feeling bad for the guy. One door closes, another one opens. Only time will tell

RamzFanz

Damnit
Back to the OP, I think it's a pretty fair point. If we were going to lose him, this would be an opportune time to do so.
But I cant stop feeling bad for the guy. One door closes, another one opens. Only time will tell

The only better time would have been earlier so he had more time and so did Hill. Bradford is a fighter. We'll watch him play again. I hope it's not against the Rams!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Yep, as soon as they signed Hill they should have put Sam on the shelf for the first half. Especially with our Oline still under construction!
And aren't you scared for Long now too?
Verrrrrrry nervous about Long, especially since he had his surgery well after Bradford's.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
LOL. Dude, they can absolutely cut him. If they do, they save 10 million. Please show me why they can't cut him.

They say, hey Sam, we want to keep you. We'll pay you X million on IR and give you a fat play-to-pay contract for 2015 forward.

OR

You can try to find a team that will pay you more. Best of luck, no hard feelings.

Dead money. Some other team will take him and rehab him with no pressure to rush him.

And the Rams would be paying for it all.

IMO the best bet is to ride him until he either shows he can fully play, and whether he wants to play.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Dead money. Some other team will take him and rehab him with no pressure to rush him.

And the Rams would be paying for it all.

IMO the best bet is to ride him until he either shows he can fully play, and whether he wants to play.

I don't agree with this. The savings from cutting him are better than paying his current salary with his injuries. There's no way in hell you can keep him on at what he's currently getting.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't like the idea of we invest 5 years and you guys wanna just dump him....Unless Davis or Hill just balls out. Even then, we work a deal...He knows Schotty's offense better than most here...His arm is still solid.....We are a league of 2nd & 3rd chances.....Keep him around, his story will be better than Warners...better than....who...?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I don't like the idea of we invest 5 years and you guys wanna just dump him....Unless Davis or Hill just balls out. Even then, we work a deal...He knows Schotty's offense better than most here...His arm is still solid.....We are a league of 2nd & 3rd chances.....Keep him around, his story will be better than Warners...better than....who...?
The key is being able to save a bunch of money on his contract. We cant have this guy around unless his pay is drastically reduced somehow, no way the risk is worth the reward at this point.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't agree with this. The savings from cutting him are better than paying his current salary with his injuries. There's no way in hell you can keep him on at what he's currently getting.

IDK what the specifics of his contract is, but he's gonna get a good chunk of change regardless. There is no way they are outright cutting him. Not right now or during the season.

AZRamsFan93

Yup Absolutely. I think Long is toast too. Its just a matter of time. The guy was falling down all over last year even when no one was around. I hope I am wrong but I would not bet on it.
I agree, but the difference with the Long situation is that we drafted his replacement.