If you could add any former RAM in his prime...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
giphy.gif
Former Ram draft pick Bill Goldberg is your choice?
bill_goldberg.jpg
(Couldn't find am image in a Rams jersey)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting question. My first response was Steven Jackson, but I don't think he'd run as well in the zone blocking scheme. Dickerson would be great but it's too much of the same with Gurley. Besides, I don't think McVay would use a two back system.

Then I thought it has to be defense. I don't think the Rams old school greats at linebacker would have the range or speed needed. At end Deacon wouldn't get away with the head slap. The interior wouldn't be big enough or fast enough.

With the Rams fully healthy I might say someone who could hit on the back end, so Toby Wright comes to mind at SS. Or at FS maybe the other Johnny Johnson.

At OLB it would be Leonard Little. Sans injuries, he'd be my first choice.

However my final answer is: Henry Ellard, but only because Kupp is injured. Ellard would be the leading receiver on this team.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting question. My first response was Steven Jackson, but I don't think he'd run as well in the zone blocking scheme. Dickerson would be great but it's too much of the same with Gurley. Besides, I don't think McVay would use a two back system.

Then I thought it has to be defense. I don't think the Rams old school greats at linebacker would have the range or speed needed. At end Deacon wouldn't get away with the head slap. The interior wouldn't be big enough or fast enough.

With the Rams fully healthy I might say someone who could hit on the back end, so Toby Wright comes to mind at SS. Or at FS maybe the other Johnny Johnson.

At OLB it would be Leonard Little. Sans injuries, he'd be my first choice.

However my final answer is: Henry Ellard, but only because Kupp is injured. Ellard would be the leading receiver on this team.

This is excellent Elm! Good stuff!

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Merlin Olsen.

As much as I would love to see Deacon Jones I feel like Donald and Olsen on the inside would cause havoc to offenses through out the league. Plus he played his entire hall of fame career wearing the horns.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Ya, probably Deacon....good call.

Since I never saw him, I might go for London (dot-com) Fletcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Robert Quinn the year he had the 19 sacks. Imagine him coming around the edge forcing the quarterback to step up into Donald's waiting arms?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Little Late to the party on this, but there should only be one answer for every Ram fan!
i

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Little Late to the party on this, but there should only be one answer for every Ram fan!
i
If this was the same type of league as it was back in the day, I’d agree wholeheartedly. But it’s not anymore. Today it would be: personal foul, personal foul, etc. Deacon is a T-Rex. There would be mass carnage. What a D line that would be!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If this was the same type of league as it was back in the day, I’d agree wholeheartedly. But it’s not anymore. Today it would be: personal foul, personal foul, etc. Deacon is a T-Rex. There would be mass carnage. What a D line that would be!!

IDK, I think the "Deacon of Defense" would adapt and I never really got to see him play, being only 5 when they traded him in 1972 to the San Diego Chargers, but nobody knew what a "Sack" was before Deacon and the fact that Jack Youngblood replaced him, made me feel the Rams would just always have great defensive ends.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Some of these are hard to understand.

They Rams need little help on offense on any of the units provided the OL bounces back which I think it will. On defense the elephant in the room has been the LB corps.

I picked London Fletcher for that reason but @RamsAndEwe offered an excellent choice too.

Greene is also a sound pick, so is Quinn. But Fletcher gets my vote because he is more versatile and could play the run better. He may not get sacks like Greene and Quinn but getting sacks hasn't been an issue so much, it's been the run defense.

Right now the Rams are 32nd in the league at 5.1 YPC. If I'm grabbing a player from the past I want one that will fix the biggest issue or at least normalize it to close out the season and go into the playoffs.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Fletcher and Hacksaw at ILB's.

Deacon and Youngblood at DE's.

Nobody is rushing for nothing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1). The interior LB'ing post of Mark Barron is our weakest link. We need a complete LB'er who has a history of playing in a Wade type Rams 34 D. Carl Ekern would dominate & be a tackling machine in this defense in place of Mark Barron. This DL needs a hitter who will not be denied a takle behind them in the worse way.

Other considerations ..........High Safety is our 2nd weak position with Lamarcus Joyner @ high safety......I would go with either Nolan Cromwell or Johnnie Johnson to send LJ out of the lineup.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
#1). The interior LB'ing post of Mark Barron is our weakest link. We need a complete LB'er who has a history of playing in a Wade type Rams 34 D. Carl Ekern would dominate & be a tackling machine in this defense in place of Mark Barron. This DL needs a hitter who will not be denied a takle behind them in the worse way.

Jim Collins over Ekern IMO, but loved Carl Ekern, just thought Collins was far more physical.
linebacker-jim-collins-of-the-new-york-giants-sacks-los-angeles-rams-picture-id89751183