If We Stay Put At #2 And Take Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
In theory its ok I guess. For one I am not a Clowney fan so I would not be doing cart wheels even if we didn't have Long and Quinn.

Secondly, if it where me and "stuck" at 2 I'd "probably" take Matthews but would still be tempted to take Watkins. 2 or 6, what's really the difference?

Actually...you bring up a great point, and I agree with you on Mathews especially if you arent enamored with Clowny at all.

Wouldnt it be awesome if the Rams were able to trade out of 2 and STILL get who they wanted all along?

Who knows...by the time Kiper, Mayock and all the pundits and scouts get done creating this years "superstars" at the combines, maybe Clowney and Watkins drop a bit.

Alan

Legend
RFIP taking my ribbing good-naturedly:
Nah, it's all good!

That's great because as usual at this time of night I'm stoned out of my mind and if something hits my funny bone I can't help myself.

RFIP

Actually...you bring up a great point, and I agree with you on Mathews especially if you arent enamored with Clowny at all.

Wouldnt it be awesome if the Rams were able to trade out of 2 and STILL get who they wanted all along?

Who knows...by the time Kiper, Mayock and all the pundits and scouts get done creating this years "superstars" at the combines, maybe Clowney and Watkins drop a bit.

I'm already convinced that the Rams will trade back a bit, to say 4-5 or 6, pick up another 1 and 2 either this year or next, then they will take Watkins with 1A and break the Fisher mold & draft an OL with 1B and still have either 1C left or two 2's.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And if I may add, don't be afraid to be great. I hear people saying "we took 4 wr's in the last 2 drafts, that's enough.."

i would ask how many wr's did the Lions take, especially in the first round, before they hit on Megatron?

You never got enough until you ever get the 1. Draft the man...
2-Sammy-Watkins.jpg

sammy-watkins.jpg
How many playoff victories have the Lions had since they got Megatron?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the rams scouting department determines Clowney is honestly the best Dline prospect to come along since Julius peppers like many say he is, it would be foolish not to take him.

are there greater needs at other positions? No doubt. however, you don't pass up a Julius Peppers esq player because you have other needs. especially in a year where you have 2 first round picks. The extra picks afford the rams the luxury of not only being able to take the most elite talent in the draft despite position, but also to turn around and use another mid first rounder on whomever they feel fits the biggest need

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many playoff victories have the Lions had since they got Megatron?

this is unfair, the blame should be pointed everywhere besides megatron for the lack of postseason success. Instead of looking at the 0 playoff victories, it is much more to the point to wonder where their offense would be without calvin

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
In theory its ok I guess. For one I am not a Clowney fan so I would not be doing cart wheels even if we didn't have Long and Quinn.

Secondly, if it where me and "stuck" at 2 I'd "probably" take Matthews but would still be tempted to take Watkins. 2 or 6, what's really the difference?

The difference is Rams take a less talented player which hurts the overall talent of the team. DE wasn't the biggest need when the Rams took Quinn. How did that work out.

RFIP

The difference is Rams take a less talented player which hurts the overall talent of the team. DE wasn't the biggest need when the Rams took Quinn. How did that work out.

When they took Quinn EVERY position was their biggest need, INCLUDING DE.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
On Clowney I really am not worried about the speeding tickets I mean what kid with a car hasn't gone that fast? He just hasn't been lucky enough to get away with it.Is he really all that good? Is there a a reason why the consensus best player in the draft did not produce more than 3 sacks? Did he quit on his team? If he really quit on his team I think that is a mortal sin and I don't know if I can forgive that. Smoking weed who cares but quit on your team???

Matthews would be there and be a position that needs an upgrade and by all accounts could start in the NFL right now. Is he going to be OP or Slater good? If you think there is a chance he could be your LT for the next 10-12 years I would take him and not care what happens with Jake Long.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
this is unfair, the blame should be pointed everywhere besides megatron for the lack of postseason success. Instead of looking at the 0 playoff victories, it is much more to the point to wonder where their offense would be without calvin
The point is no matter how good a WR is without a supporting cast he alone is not going to take you to the playoffs or Superbowl. It takes a team and there have been planty of Superbowl winners average WRs.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point is no matter how good a WR is without a supporting cast he alone is not going to take you to the playoffs or Superbowl. It takes a team and there have been planty of Superbowl winners average WRs.

that logic can be applied to any position. Think anyone would even know bradys name had he played behind david carrs Houston o line? point being, if you have a chance at a player at calvins caliber they make the players around them better....actually lets be real there is no one (and never has been) at his level but you get the point. A game changing number one WR.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
When they took Quinn EVERY position was their biggest need, INCLUDING DE.

They had guys that could play DE, they didn't have a legit WR, OL, CB or LB other than JL. They went for the most talented guy on the board. Quinn was a top 3 talent that fell. He's the only elite player on the team.
Fans and experts debate who's the best WR or Tackle in the draft. There is no debate who's the best DE. That's justification enough for taking him at #2

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
that logic can be applied to any position. Think anyone would even know bradys name had he played behind david carrs Houston o line? point being, if you have a chance at a player at calvins caliber they make the players around them better....actually lets be real there is no one (and never has been) at his level but you get the point. A game changing number one WR.
There is no Calvin Johnson in this draft

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no Calvin Johnson in this draft

Agreed...there may never be a Calvin Johnson again in any draft. But if watkins or evans can be AJ green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant..a guy like that...I think i could make a sound argument a WR of that talent level would put us into the playoffs next year

A55VA6

Legend
I'd rather have Watkins (meaning we trade down a few picks) but Clowney would be nice at 2 if we stayed put.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Agreed...there may never be a Calvin Johnson again in any draft. But if watkins or evans can be AJ green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant..a guy like that...I think i could make a sound argument a WR of that talent level would put us into the playoffs next year
I think we could see the playoffs with the WRs we have if we fix the OL and protect Bradford better. With the Oline we finished the year with I'm not sure Sam stays healthy and in that case they will not make the playoffs.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan with part of the story:
If the rams scouting department determines Clowney is honestly the best Dline prospect to come along since Julius peppers like many say he is, it would be foolish not to take him.

are there greater needs at other positions? No doubt. however, you don't pass up a Julius Peppers esq player because you have other needs. especially in a year where you have 2 first round picks.
So we'd get his services for 5 years and then he'd be gone. Or Quinn would be gone. Cause I really don't think we could afford the two best DEs in the game. Not and still have great players elsewhere.

Would another 10 sacks per year make our D that much better if we don't clean up our secondary problems?

How well have those teams that Peppers has played on done? I'd rather get an OT or a FS or a DB that we can afford to keep. I'd rather have very good players everywhere than a few great ones.

Except at QB of course.

But your method is another viable option. Not a route I'd go though.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we'd get his services for 5 years and then he'd be gone. Or Quinn would be gone. Cause I really don't think we could afford the two best DEs in the game. Not and still have great players elsewhere.

Would another 10 sacks per year make our D that much better if we don't clean up our secondary problems?

How well have those teams that Peppers has played on done? I'd rather get an OT or a FS or a DB that we can afford to keep. I'd rather have very good players everywhere than a few great ones.

Except at QB of course.

But your method is another viable option. Not a route I'd go though.

well 5 years from now we will be out from under many of our contracts so it is hard say...of course this is all hypothetical but to your point..what if that OT or CB that we drafted becomes the best in the league? they get paid just as much as the DE's so it is just not logical to base your draft pics on who you think you'll be able to afford 5 years down the road...put it this way, most teams do not have multiple first round pics...we are fortunate enough to have that luxury so why pass on the best player available when you can still address OT AND FS in the next 20 or so pics

Name
JP
Is there anything wrong with that?

I mean; he's the consensus #1 prospect. We still have #13 to add more premium talent.

I'd like to trade down; but I can't see much negative grabbing two potential studs!

I would be okay with it. Our DL would be insane.