If We Stay Put At #2 And Take Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is there anything wrong with that?

I mean; he's the consensus #1 prospect. We still have #13 to add more premium talent.

I'd like to trade down; but I can't see much negative grabbing two potential studs!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If they took him, I would be excited for the potential, but would be curious as to what the hell are we gonna do with Hayes and Sims in the rotation

Alan

Legend
That's exactly what I'd do if I was the GM for the Seahags.

As the Rams GM I'm thinking only at the positions of P & K are we in less need of an upgrade.

No doubt it would be a positive for the Rams to draft Clowney but there's a +1 and there's a +20. I'll take the +20 which is to trade down for extra picks and draft BPA at positions of need.

Those views are why they pay me the big bucks!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
That's exactly what I'd do if I was the GM for the Seahags.

As the Rams GM I'm thinking only at the positions of P & K are we in less need of an upgrade.

No doubt it would be a positive for the Rams to draft Clowney but there's a +1 and there's a +20. I'll take the +20 which is to trade down for extra picks and draft BPA at positions of need.

Those views are why they pay me the big bucks!

:woot:

RFIP

Is there anything wrong with that?

I mean; he's the consensus #1 prospect. We still have #13 to add more premium talent.

I'd like to trade down; but I can't see much negative grabbing two potential studs!

A) If no one wants him more than us then that tells you all you need to know about his issues.

B) Rams will have lost an opportunity to improve the team in 2014.

In short, it would be an embarrassment of riches in one position.

Won't happen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying put.

before sam got injured the rams offense looked pretty good with stacy running the ball. they moved the ball at will against the panthers in their house which has been difficult for visiting teams. the rams may think all is needed on offense is shoring up of the oline.

what the rams need are difference makers. chris long has been good for the rams but is he a difference maker? can clowney be one? this is what the rams must decide and if they think he is then it would be criminal not to take him.

RFIP

And if I may add, don't be afraid to be great. I hear people saying "we took 4 wr's in the last 2 drafts, that's enough.."

i would ask how many wr's did the Lions take, especially in the first round, before they hit on Megatron?

You never got enough until you ever get the 1. Draft the man...
2-Sammy-Watkins.jpg

sammy-watkins.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And if I may add, don't be afraid to be great. I hear people saying "we took 4 wr's in the last 2 drafts, that's enough.."

i would ask how many wr's did the Lions take, especially in the first round, before they hit on Megatron?

2-Sammy-Watkins.jpg

sammy-watkins.jpg

I am just as excited as you about Watkins, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Watkins is not the only road to success.

Case in point; in 2011 I wanted Julio Jones. We got Robert Quinn. Hard to complain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
RFIP asking a good question:

Let me give you a partial answer (in the form of a question) to your question. How many years in a row did they languish in the NFL gutter because of their drafting strategy? I'm pretty sure I'd never get balls big of enough to use the Lions under Millen as a model of how to do anything. :rofl:

No offense meant RFIP, I'm just having fun with this.:wink:

Think monkeys at a typewriter. :lol:

tonyl711

Starter
we already have Quinn, Long, Sims and Hayes, they have led the league or been very close the last 2 years, they can do fine with what they have there. can you say that about the Oline? can you say that about the secondary? can you say we have a #1 WR? too many other needs to take someone at what is already the strongest unit on the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
we already have Quinn, Long, Sims and Hayes, they have led the league or been very close the last 2 years, they can do fine with what they have there. can you say that about the Oline? can you say that about the secondary? can you say we have a #1 WR? too many other needs to take someone at what is already the strongest unit on the team.

I'd prefer help in those areas, yes. That would be my priority.

But, in the BPA model, it's hardly a mistake if Clowney is all that.

…..

Legend
So...RFIP...You've made it quite clear who you prefer in the draft.

Let me ask you this....in the spirit of your own words "Dont be afraid to be great" wouldnt adding Clowny be doing just that, except on the opposite side of the ball?

I believe the thread author is merely trying to point out that IF the Rams chose to use the #2 pick, that they still had the 13 pick and theres nothing wrong with getting 2 studs in the draft. I happen to agree with him. I wont jump off a cliff, thats for sure. Obviously, we will have no idea what the Rams are really going to do....so its best to be prepared for all scenarios.

SC-Ram78

Rookie

there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying put.

before sam got injured the rams offense looked pretty good with stacy running the ball. they moved the ball at will against the panthers in their house which has been difficult for visiting teams. the rams may think all is needed on offense is shoring up of the oline.

what the rams need are difference makers. chris long has been good for the rams but is he a difference maker? can clowney be one? this is what the rams must decide and if they think he is then it would be criminal not to take him.

I agree 100 percent. Long doesn't take over games like quinn did this year. I love long as a player and he gives full effort on every play, But just imagine having two defensive ends that can both take over the game. That would be a scary pass rush that every team in the league would have to game plan against. If we can't trade out of the number 2 spot then there is no question that you pick clowney and make our line even more dominant

RFIP

I am just as excited as you about Watkins, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Watkins is not the only road to success.

Case in point; in 2011 I wanted Julio Jones. We got Robert Quinn. Hard to complain.

OK but we HAVE Quinn now, the cat still needs skinned. Go get the receiver.

RFIP

Let me give you a partial answer (in the form of a question) to your question. How many years in a row did they languish in the NFL gutter because of their drafting strategy? I'm pretty sure I'd never get balls big of enough to use the Lions under Millen as a model of how to do anything. :rofl:

No offense meant RFIP, I'm just having fun with this.:wink:

Think monkeys at a typewriter. :lol:

Nah, it's all good!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
OK but we HAVE Quinn now, the cat still needs skinned. Go get the receiver.

I get excited thinking about Watkins on this team. Right now; he's my pick if we can make it work.

But, I'm just saying... Right now... All doors are open. It's not a one lane road. There are a lot of appealing options.

…..

Legend
I read alot about how great Hayes and Sims are....but in reality, they're still rotational players. Not starters. I happen to like Hayes alot more because i believe he gets after the quarterback better and fresh legs often make all the difference. But we cant moan over losing rotational players, especially ones that make 3.5M a year ( if I have Hayes cap number correct)

I'm not flying the flag to draft Clowney, I'm just trying to discuss all avenues with an open mind.

RFIP

So...RFIP...You've made it quite clear who you prefer in the draft.

Let me ask you this....in the spirit of your own words "Dont be afraid to be great" wouldnt adding Clowny be doing just that, except on the opposite side of the ball?

I believe the thread author is merely trying to point out that IF the Rams chose to use the #2 pick, that they still had the 13 pick and theres nothing wrong with getting 2 studs in the draft. I happen to agree with him. I wont jump off a cliff, thats for sure. Obviously, we will have no idea what the Rams are really going to do....so its best to be prepared for all scenarios.

In theory its ok I guess. For one I am not a Clowney fan so I would not be doing cart wheels even if we didn't have Long and Quinn.

Secondly, if it where me and "stuck" at 2 I'd "probably" take Matthews but would still be tempted to take Watkins. 2 or 6, what's really the difference?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh... And has it been said; Thank you Washington!

Lol. It's got to be painful watching us work that pick!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In theory its ok I guess. For one I am not a Clowney fan so I would not be doing cart wheels even if we didn't have Long and Quinn.

Secondly, if it where me and "stuck" at 2 I'd "probably" take Matthews but would still be tempted to take Watkins. 2 or 6, what's really the difference?

Its possible we get both Mathews and Watkins. The Rams have the draft capital.