If we keep Wade, we should overhaul the defensive staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Honestly, I hope Wade isn't going anywhere.

Check this new article out where Wade says "Next year we're gonna kick the son of a b---- in."

If that doesn't fire you up, I don't know what does!

I think the whole team has this same sentiment. Boys, we have something special here. I know, I KNOW how hard it is to get to the SB, but I believe we've got the right pieces in place to make another run for at least the next few years.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, I hope Wade isn't going anywhere.

Check this new article out where Wade says "Next year we're gonna kick the son of a b---- in."

If that doesn't fire you up, I don't know what does!

I think the whole team has this same sentiment. Boys, we have something special here. I know, I KNOW how hard it is to get to the SB, but I believe we've got the right pieces in place to make another run for at least the next few years.

The playoffs changed my mind on Wade. I want him back. He delivered.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
With the way our defence played in the playoffs, I would welcome Wade back.

But even though Wade deserves full marks for his showing in the post-season, I do wonder how much of the defensive turnaround could be attributed to Suh going from performing merely satisfactorily to being a game-changing. Give any defence a stud in the middle of its DL, placed next to Aaron Donald so that 1 on 1s are plentiful, and watch how things drastically improve. If we retain Suh, he has to play at a high level consistently. If we don't retain Suh, we'll need his replacement to.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams seem to have a great culture with their coaching staff. Wade isn't looking to be a HC anymore, so he feels like the perfect compliment w/McVay.

Sounds like he still has the fire and the players love him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We will be set, if we can continue the play we had in the playoffs, into next season.
Our defense was stellar.

Ram65

Legend
So Wade isn't going away. I had my doubts about his system.

The communication seemed better in the playoff. That was a big problem during the regular season. It's a smallish defense so they may not want to give the intense effort they did in the playoff during the regular season.. Obviously, Suh saved himself for the playoffs. Barron, Talib and Peters got healthy. Littleton got more experience and Fowler was added. Going to be an interesting off season with some important changes we have discussed.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But even though Wade deserves full marks for his showing in the post-season, I do wonder how much of the defensive turnaround could be attributed to Suh going from performing merely satisfactorily to being a game-changing. Give any defence a stud in the middle of its DL, placed next to Aaron Donald so that 1 on 1s are plentiful, and watch how things drastically improve. If we retain Suh, he has to play at a high level consistently. If we don't retain Suh, we'll need his replacement to.

I think during the regular season, Wade put more emphasis on the DLineman just getting upfield to get after the QB, run defense be damned ... hence our lousy #'s against the run during that time. They didn't seem to play quite as aggressively and were more focused on run stopping in the playoffs, with very good results.

That being said, I'd like to see us get a fatbody, blocker eating NT next year to play on early downs and obvious running downs, and a bigger, run stopping ILB to put next to Littleton.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
So Wade isn't going away. I had my doubts about his system.

The communication seemed better in the playoff. That was a big problem during the regular season. It's a smallish defense so they may not want to give the intense effort they did in the playoff. Obviously, Suh saved himself for the playoffs. Barron, Talib and Peters got healthy. Littleton got more experience and Fowler was added. Going to be an interesting off season with some important changes we have discussed.

Barron was nigh-and-day in the playoffs vs. regular season, and I think in the Super Bowl in particular he was very solid. I am not sure if his down-year can be attributed to injuries, a general decline in performance, or a bit of both. Given his cap hit, however, and the fact that we already have on small in size LBer on the roster in Littleton who is younger, far cheaper, and has a knack for making splash plays, I anticipate Barron will but let go and we will not get the chance to find out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can't believe any of you doubted Wade at all. He's like any other DC in that he's got to have the right pieces to produce his best product on the field. He's never had the plus edge rush he needs in this defense, nor has he had the ILBs to funnel the run game to. Suh going through the motions in the regular season also almost killed this unit for that reason, and helped us be last in the league which is total and absolute BS.

And Pleasant isn't a big loss. He's been hit/miss with the secondary, and while I don't fully blame him for Peters not knowing wtf he was doing earlier in the season the safety play that has plagued us all year has to be laid at his feet. IMO the Rams might have planned on going away from him anyway. Or maybe he was on the short list of coaches Taylor was told he could steal away.

Les Snead owes Wade Phillips big time right now. Wade is the biggest reason we made it to the dance, and he's also the biggest reason we didn't get blown the F out in the Super Bowl, and if Les wants to improve on that he has to upgrade the LB position inside and on the edge and find a nose and a safety to pair with Johnson. It's time to finish up that transition to the 3-4.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I should have started a new thread. I resurrected this thread because of Aubrey Pleasant and the possible theft of him by the Bengals

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
The playoffs changed my mind on Wade. I want him back. He delivered.

Absolutely! It was a brilliant Defensive game plan and effort both. Sadly got wasted when the offense couldn't get itself together.

Ram65

Legend
Barron was nigh-and-day in the playoffs vs. regular season, and I think in the Super Bowl in particular he was very solid. I am not sure if his down-year can be attributed to injuries, a general decline in performance, or a bit of both. Given his cap hit, however, and the fact that we already have on small in size LBer on the roster in Littleton who is younger, far cheaper, and has a knack for making splash plays, I anticipate Barron will but let go and we will not get the chance to find out.

He was coming back for a number of injuries. The ankle and shoulder probably hurt his play plus he missed around half the season.

Here is his contract
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/mark-barron-9817/

I know most everyone wants him gone. I think it is quit possible they redo his contract. He has a cap hit of 8.9 Million with 2 Million dead cap. Roster bonus is 2.5 which makes a decision on him come early. He turned 29 Oct 27th so he is a tweener in age with injury history. I don't see him having a big or wide market value which could help the Rams get him for much less. Wade really likes him and he has a lot of experience. Rams could keep him healthier and ready for the playoffs by platooning him and getting players like Kiser some experience. Rams probably have to replace Suh and Joyner while need to get younger at CB. They need depth at defensive line and improved edge play. We will see.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
As I see it you keep Wade and get better LB play!

The big problem for the defense was exactly what I, and many others thought starting the year...RAM LBs. This team needs to be stronger there. They have to bring in LB help to run Wade's defense.

From the start the only legitimate LB was Littleton, though he is also undersized. There were flashes from Ebukam, who I think we should keep. I can also see keeping Barron, due 8 mil for 2020. He played better toward the end of the season which *seemed* to be because he was getting to 100%. He's a "wait and see" player though.

Bringing Fowler in really helped so I think he's a keeper but entertain keeping him at OLB. There were several times Fowler dropped back as a LB. He has the speed. Why some don't want to keep Fowler has me scratching my head.

The secondary simply needs to replace Joyner. If you can...keep Talib and Peters... and Johnson is a rising star.

Ellard80

Legend
With Talib our defense was pretty solid.. without Talib our defense looked vulnerable..

It's almost that simple.. almost.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wade has won me back over with the play of his D since the bye, plus the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2018/REG/RAMS

Especially the scoring D.

Talib and Fowler really helped, no doubt. And maybe the players just developed the necessary cohesion, too.

I think we’re certain to see multiple upgrades for Wade next year, too. A minimum of 4 new starters, maybe as many as 6.

If those last 5 regular season games plus the playoffs are any indication, this Ram D in ‘19 could be a beast to score against.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I seem to remember saying most all season long one simple phrase that a lot of people argued against and gave me grief over.

Trust in Wade.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I think his great quote indicates he has some unfinished business and isn't going anywhere.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wade Phillips says Rams are done knocking on the door: 'Next year we're gonna kick the son of a b---h in'
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ext-year-were-gonna-kick-the-son-of-a-b-h-in/

by Jared Dubin

The Rams went from last place to the wild card round to the Super Bowl, and Phillips thinks they can win it next year

It wasn't all that long ago that the Rams were arguably the worst team in the NFL. During the 2016 season, the Rams finished dead last in both yards and points scored, while also finishing 23rd in points allowed. They ended the season with a 4-12 record that was better than only three other squads in the league. Then they hired Sean McVay and McVay hired Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator, and since then they have been one of the best teams in football.

Rams finished 11-5 during the first year of the McVay era, but they unfortunately lost their wild-card playoff game to the Atlanta Falcons. The team came back even better during Year 2, though, and followed up a 13-3 regular season with a trip to Super Bowl LIII. They unfortunately came up short during that game, but Phillips doesn't think the team is nearly done yet.

He's got high hopes for next year's squad.

Wade Phillips (@sonofbum) in town to present Dan Pastorini who's going into the Houston Sports Hall of Fame. His @RamsNFL came close: "I might have to say it. The first year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on the door. Next year we're gonna kick the son of a bitch in." pic.twitter.com/03tChdY883

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) February 7, 2019
If what Wade said sounds familiar it's because his dad, Bum, said the same thing about his Oilers many years earlier.

The Rams have a fascinating offseason ahead of them. Players like Ndamukong Suh, Lamarcus Joyner, Rodger Saffold, and Dante Fowler Jr. are all free agents, and the Rams do not have a ton of room on their books to keep them all. The upcoming season will likely be the last one where the Rams can take advantage of Jared Goff's comparatively low salary because it's the final year of his rookie contract, so it'll be interesting to see who they prioritize bringing back and how that affects their attempts to "kick the son of a b---h in" as Phillips so eloquently put it.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can only hope Wade's prediction comes out better than his Father's - lol. I remember when Bum said that. It was when they had Dan Pastorini and Earl Campbell. Campbell was soo tough.