If we keep Wade, we should overhaul the defensive staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming that Wade stays, but I wouldn't be upset if the Rams pursued Todd Bowles or Ron Rivera/Steve Wilks if they're fired this off-season. However, assuming Wade stays, I think we need to overhaul our assistants on the defensive side of the ball. I've been underwhelmed by our player development there.

It probably won't happen, but I think the Broncos firing Vance Joseph would give us an incredible opportunity. Looking at their coaching staff, there are three assistants who worked under Wade in Denver that I want here. Those three assistants are:
DL Coach Bill Kollar
LB Coach Reggie Herring
DB Coach (now DC) Joe Woods

I'd like to keep Aubrey Pleasant on our staff, so I would hope Woods and him could split the work in the secondary. I'd let Joe Barry and Bill Johnson go. I look at the work those guys did in Denver, and I think we'd see better player development here. I know Sean is loyal to his staff, but I am disappointed with the defensive performance right now. There are too many players who have either regressed or not progressed enough.

Rainram

Starter
Ron Rivera please! (If he became available). I know some think he’ll take another HC job, but he’s got strong CA roots and just may prefer the less stressful part of being a DC. Not sure how likely it is, but I’ve been not-so-secretly pining for him for a while.

Aside front that. I’m definitely down for a complete overhaul of our position coaches.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Honestly, I think we should let Wade go, unless there is a huge mitigating factor (that isn't his fault) into why the defense isn't playing as well as it should.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First thing I'd do is sit Wade down and have him go through where he thinks we came up short and why. And then fix it.

I do think our secondary coach is in hot water. The dysfunction we're seeing in execution of calls is insane and unlike a Wade Phillips secondary. Particularly the safety play but not just that. A firing of that position is likely I do believe.

Bill Johnson is an interesting one. But IMO the front seven is more plagued with personnel issues in the transition to the 3-4, and that transition needs to be focused on this offseason. And I think that will save his job. He has worked with Wade before, most interestingly during a failed transition from 4-3 to 3-4 under the Falcons and Reeves in which personnel prevented their success. Here's a quote from an article dating back almost ten years:

"The problem they had in the 3-4 scheme wasn't with one game," Johnson said. "There were 16. It takes large men to play that 3-4 over the course of the season. You've got to hold some people off those linebackers, so it takes good-sized people and some luck.

"To have that defense be highly effective, it takes special people playing off the edge at outside linebacker. If you lose one of those guys, they're hard to replace. You've got to have not just good starting personnel but depth.

"I prefer a 4-3, but there are some beautiful things about a 3-4."

Barry is a guy I'm ambivalent towards. He was a "came over with McVay" dude. Doesn't have the history with Wade like Johnson does, so yeah there might be some issues there and he might end up axed. But in his case I'd say he hasn't really had a chance to do his job when you look at roster quality.

IMO the way forward is to complete the transition to the 3-4 with better personnel and get rid of the subpar performers who are dragging this unit down. And maybe fire the secondary coach, depending on whether he can get this unit to play better ball here with Talib back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My problem with Barry is that I've heard nothing but bad things about him. And our LBs haven't done anything to change that perception. As for Johnson, I think he's a good coach, but I think Kollar is phenomenal. I'd really love to get Jim Tomsula from Washington, but I see Gruden surviving this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My problem with Barry is that I've heard nothing but bad things about him. And our LBs haven't done anything to change that perception. As for Johnson, I think he's a good coach, but I think Kollar is phenomenal. I'd really love to get Jim Tomsula from Washington, but I see Gruden surviving this year.

Yes Barry has a lot of negative stuff but much of it was wrt his failure as DC. As a LB coach he's probably fine, but hard to say since we haven't exactly given him good pieces to work with. And him coming over with McVay means Wade might want him replaced with a guy who better fits.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Player development has not been anything special on defence under Wade.

The stats and the eye-tests speak for themselves over the past 2 seasons. The defence needs notable improvement.

Player fundamentals have not improved under Wade. In fact, they might have regressed. Ogletree was famous for not wrapping up, but that habbit seems to have spread.

Wade is in his 70s and likely won't coach for too much longer, anyway.

The defence is going to need large-scale changes whether we make a coaching change or not.

In light of the above, I'd prefer we move on from Wade Phillips. He wasn't always dealt a perfect hand, but I think other DCs could have gotten more out of this roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes Barry has a lot of negative stuff but much of it was wrt his failure as DC. As a LB coach he's probably fine, but hard to say since we haven't exactly given him good pieces to work with. And him coming over with McVay means Wade might want him replaced with a guy who better fits.

I heard the a lot of complaints about him as LB Coach from Chargers fans. They were happy when Washington hired him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup our best hope is that Wade decides to spend more time with his family and step down.
If that’s not the case then yeah, got to sacrifice some lamb and the LB coach is a good place to start

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup our best hope is that Wade decides to spend more time with his family and step down.
If that’s not the case then yeah, got to sacrifice some lamb and the LB coach is a good place to start

If Wade does that, I really hope McVay goes after a major DC candidate. I'd love to get Bowles, Rivera/Wilks, or Kris Richard. Just don't saddle us with Joe Barry.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I can see Wade retiring, but I dont think we'll fire him.

Either way, 4-3 or 3-4, we need some damn linebackers.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
This probably could be it's own thread but since this is a defensive post I'm just gonna post it here.

At this point, would the defense be better if we kept Ogletree and traded Barron instead? I've at least seen Ogletree get a couple of picks and TDs from highlights, but I don't know if the cap situation would be similar. He can't be doing worst than Barron right now.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Wade's biggest issue here, has been trying to run a 3-4 when he inherited a very capable set of 4-3 defensive players. I wonder how Greg Williams D has been doing in Cleveland? I bet its better than ours, with less talent.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Guys Wade must go with all the help and attention we put on his side of the ball and this is the result we built it is embarrassing. Not to be forgotten McVay is the HC and responsible for the overall team which means he is responsible for the defense. We need someone as talented as McVay is on offense on the defensive side of the ball and kerpkee Wade would be a huge mistake.

Like I said in another post with all this talent added supposedly and a full offseason to retool and update the roster and we are worse than last year.

Wade must go period!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade has a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs. If he can figure things out, he stays. If not, I'll agree that it's time to let him go.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Wade does that, I really hope McVay goes after a major DC candidate. I'd love to get Bowles, Rivera/Wilks, or Kris Richard. Just don't saddle us with Joe Barry.
Bowles has been an unmitigated disaster for the Jets but I still think he’s a great D coach

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade's biggest issue here, has been trying to run a 3-4 when he inherited a very capable set of 4-3 defensive players. I wonder how Greg Williams D has been doing in Cleveland? I bet its better than ours, with less talent.

When we brought him in I am sure the Rams assured him they would stock the defensive roster with guys he needs. And Snead attempted to do that, he just whiffed on most of the moves.

Whether they keep Wade or not, we need a lot of help defensively.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I wasn't in favor of switching to the 3/4 in the first place but they never called to ask my opinion. I didn't think we had the personnel and I still don't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bowles has been an unmitigated disaster for the Jets but I still think he’s a great D coach

Well, unmitigated successes usually don't get fired from HC jobs. ;)

But yes, I agree. He's a great DC. I'd love to have him. I love his aggressiveness.

Hawaii Ram

Rookie
Well, unmitigated successes usually don't get fired from HC jobs. ;)

But yes, I agree. He's a great DC. I'd love to have him. I love his aggressiveness.

That’s my biggest issue with the defense. We have zero aggressiveness. For a team to have an offense that is always keeping teams on their heels and forcing the action you would like to have a similar approach on defense. Right now it’s like we are just waiting for Donald to make a play and not ever making it uncomfortable on the offense. The offensive line knows exactly who to block and double team pre snap because we don’t even show a blitz let alone ever bring a blitz. Wade needs to do something different period or else I also am in favor of a change.