If Rams offense is off, is it time for Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Rams offense is off, is it time for Jared Goff?

By Rich Hammond, rhammond@scng.com, @Rich_Hammond on Twitter

[www.dailynews.com]

LOS ANGELES >> In terms of the Rams’ offense, it’s too early to worry, but not to wonder.

The NFL’s highest-paid offensive coordinator got fired this week, two games into the season and one day after his team (Buffalo) scored 31 points. The Rams, in last week’s season-opening loss at San Francisco, were shut out, had 10 punts and 10 first downs and never crossed the 49ers’ 20-yard line.

That’s not to say Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras is on the hot seat going into Sunday’s home opener against Seattle at the Coliseum, but so far, the Rams’ offense hasn’t met even mild expectations.

“For everybody across the board – playing and coaching – it just wasn’t good enough, it wasn’t up to our standards,” Boras said of last week’s loss. “We all need to do better, starting, obviously with me at the coordinator position. But I think, to a man, everybody recognizes that we have a lot more in us.”

Will it come out this week? The Rams face a Seahawks defense that allowed only 214 yards and 11 first downs in a 12-10 victory over Miami last week, and traditionally is tough against the run and the pass.

The Rams, meanwhile, will send out quarterback Case Keenum, who admitted that he was so rattled last week against a mediocre San Francisco defense that he was “seeing ghosts” when he looked at coverage. It’s a near-certainty that the Seahawks will force Keenum to prove he can play better.

It worked for the 49ers, who loaded up at the line of scrimmage and held star running back Todd Gurley to 47 yards on 17 carries. Keenum, with some often bland playcalling, completed 17 of 35 attempts.

“Offensively, we couldn’t make plays,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s a combination of bad decisions at the quarterback position, and drops at the receiver position.”

More disturbingly, an anonymous 49ers player told NFL Network that, based on the way the Rams lined up and went in motion, the 49ers could determine which routes their receivers would run.

That sounds a bit far-fetched, and perhaps is a mental ploy, with the 49ers knowing that the teams meet again in December, but given how ineffective the Rams looked, it doesn’t seem impossible. Boras said he “did not have the perception” that the 49ers were jumping his play calls.

“Didn’t play up to our standard, didn’t coach to our standard, didn’t see it coming,” Boras said. “I think, across the board, coaches (and) players would say that we thought we had a great week of preparation and then obviously just didn’t live up to our standard, playing-wise (and) coaching.”

Boras might take some heat, but it’s not entirely deserved.

Formerly the Rams’ tight ends coach, Boras took over as coordinator last December after the firing of Frank Cignetti. Boras had never been an NFL coordinator, but in his four games last season, the Rams averaged 22.8 points and went 3-1. They had averaged nine points in Cignetti’s final four games.

Boras actually had the right idea last week. Knowing the 49ers likely would load up to stop Gurley, the Rams passed the ball on six of their initial eight plays. They actually moved the ball into 49ers territory, but then Keenum threw three consecutive incomplete passes.

The Rams never got going from there. They went a dreadful 3 for 15 on third down and Keenum was never enough of a threat to make the 49ers veer from their stop-the-run strategy.

So, Seattle could follow it. The Seahawks feature game-altering safety Kam Chancellor, who excels at creeping down toward the line of scrimmage and making plays. If the Rams can’t throw the ball against a talented Seattle secondary, Gurley once again might not find much running room.

“We’re going to have to take our shots,” Fisher said. “You make a couple of plays down the field, it changes things. But, we always subscribe to the philosophy that even if it’s loaded, we still have to find a way to (run the ball), especially at the end of the game.”

So, good luck, Case Keenum. The Rams already have elevated rookie quarterback Jared Goff to be Keenum’s backup this week. If Keenum, a former undrafted free agent and a practice-squad veteran, has another poor game, it’s reasonable to think the Rams might consider handing things over to Goff.

For Keenum and the Rams’ offense, it needs to be bounce-back time.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder,” Keenum said. “I’ve had it for a while. So, it’ll still be there, the same one.”

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
“Offensively, we couldn’t make plays,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s a combination of bad decisions at the quarterback position, and drops at the receiver position.” and then obviously just didn’t live up to our standard, playing-wise (and) coaching.”

“We’re going to have to take our shots,” Fisher said. “You make a couple of plays down the field, it changes things. But, we always subscribe to the philosophy that even if it’s loaded, we still have to find a way to (run the ball), especially at the end of the game.”

I appreciate the accountability by the Rams staff saying “It’s a combination of bad decisions at the quarterback position, and drops at the receiver position.” and then obviously just didn’t live up to our standard, playing-wise (and) coaching.”

This offensive coaching staff can't be stubborn and expect Gurley to get out of the gate every game with big gains against 8 & 9 man fronts just because he's a rare talented runner. Boras has a responsibility to know his personnel on offense and design an air attack to challenge these fronts early in games.

I get that the Rams are handcuffed with the WR's and Keenum's arm talent but Boras' play calling was suspect to ridicule after last Monday night.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if Boras can only run his offense to perfection when Gurley is having big games running well early in the first half of games, we can probably expect more of the same when they compete against teams that have good run defenses?

VTech-normal.gif

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The problem isn't only Keenum. You hear time and time again that Fisher uses the run to set up the pass. He preaches balance, balance, balance.

Now, that's not a bad thing. But if you're too god damn stubborn to switch it up, then you run into a brick wall like we did against the 9er's.

Open it up a little Boras/Fisher. Let these ponies run.

FRO

Legend
A low ranked offense from last year returns all the same coaches and most of the starters, so you would have to expect the poor performance. They probably will struggle again tomorrow. Bring Goff in now. He'll learn out there on the field, take his lumps, and improve. There is no upside to Keenum. You won't go to the playoffs with him at QB and there is no upside to him as a player. Move on.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't go anywhere but up from here, can't wait til Goff starts and we start kicking some ass. I know we aren't this bad! Austin, Gurley, Higbee are going to be badasses. Just wating on Goff to complete the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Open it up a little Boras/Fisher. Let these ponies run.

After reading Fisher and Boras' quotes, plus the article pointing out the Rams came out throwing, it is possible they tried to open it up but Keenum wilted in the execution of it. Most plays have routes of varying depth, maybe Case just $h!# himself and went with the safe throws way too much. His completion percentage on intermediate + attempts certainly demonstrates that type of opinion.

Not making excuses for Boras here, but the guy has been crucified all week and if you're the coordinator and the QB has a meltdown the answer should be to pull him from the game. Fish definitely, IMO, should have installed Mannion, so that at least was on him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams are not going to the playoffs. They need to get Goff in games. Even if it is only half of a game, he needs experience. Was there not any point where the coaches felt they could put him in to get some snaps in a terrible loss? Oh that's right, he didn't even dress.

I can guarantee that Goff could have scored as many points as Keenum did in that Niners game.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What bothers me is that even I could tell the 9'ers were prepared for every play and looked like they were in the Rams huddle but Boras didn't see it that way. It didn't surprise me one bit when it was reported that the routes were obvious and the Rams tendencies never adjusted to exploit the defense.

As Mike Martz once said, and I'm paraphrasing, "if an offensive coordinator doesn't understand how to exploit the rules of a defense, he should be fired."

Boras somehow still is unaware of just how badly he was outcoached. This falls on Fisher. Now, every player and coach has bad games. But that game had poor design, no adjustments, AND poor execution. The Rams made the SF defense look like a 90's version of that team and this one isn't even remotely close in talent.

P.S. Putting Goff in this nightmare would turn him into David Carr. I believe putting him in would teach him all the wrong things and damage his career.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Push

The ball

Down

The field!

Frigg.
I don't even give a shit if we get picked. I just want to see some god damn testicular fortitude! If they stick 9 in the box, grow a pair and audible out of that Gurley run up the gut and try and make something happen! Fed up of watching this team do the predictable and come out with predictable results!

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
The only possible reason for last week - is that that Fisher & Co do not see the 9r's winning the division and as such, saw that game as a throw-away game so as not to give any tape more tape to the Seahawks and Cardinals. Sort of an extended pre-season. There is no other reason or excuse as far as I can tell.

tbux

Rookie
Lets be real- when you see what we saw Mon night= it is usually a combination of failures. The Oline was terrible, the QB was terrible and the wrs weren't great either outside of Britt. But the gameplan was awful. I kept screaming at the TV- "throw it down the field!!!" but they wouldn't. If you have one on one on the outside, you have to take your shots. Tavon runs a 4.3- throw it deep to him, Or Britt or Quick. If you cant beat one on one vs avg corners- get rid of em!! Boras was bad- no way around that.

Then - why didn't we throw Mannion out there after the last pick by Keenum in 3rd Q??

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I kept screaming at the TV- "throw it down the field!!!" but they wouldn't.
Strange. That usually works for most people.
Did you stand up? Or use a megaphone?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Rams are not going to the playoffs. They need to get Goff in games. Even if it is only half of a game, he needs experience. Was there not any point where the coaches felt they could put him in to get some snaps in a terrible loss? Oh that's right, he didn't even dress.

I can guarantee that Goff could have scored as many points as Keenum did in that Niners game.

Yeah, I have a hard time fathoming why Fisher thinks he can win with Keenum. He says the winning record makes his case. But 3-2 doesn't scream greatness. And who were those wins against? One good team and they scored a defensive TD in that one. Otherwise its a meager 16 points.

Keenum showed why he shouldn't be more than a backup against the 49ers last season. With Gurley out he coulda put the team on his shoulders and showed why Fisher has confidence in him. Instead, he wasn't good enough to score more that 16 points against a weaker opponent.

If Keenum had decent passing numbers I could see it. But he'll struggle reach 200 yards most times. He won't even average a TD pass per game. Goff might make mistakes, but he can offset some of those with the plays he's more capable of making. And with Goff we at least have some hope things will get better. Do we have that hope with Keenum?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After reading Fisher and Boras' quotes, plus the article pointing out the Rams came out throwing, it is possible they tried to open it up but Keenum wilted in the execution of it. Most plays have routes of varying depth, maybe Case just $h!# himself and went with the safe throws way too much. His completion percentage on intermediate + attempts certainly demonstrates that type of opinion.
I was thinking this was all on Boras too....but I had suspicions that it was something else...Looking at the clip in this post....http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/film-review-of-the-rams-passing-offense-from-game-1.46405/unread

https://all22filmreview.wordpress.c...o-49ers-1735-130-yards-2-int-2-sacks-allowed/

I think the problems are not Boras...not the wrs...not even the line, but squarely on Keenum's shoulders as he failed to attempt throws into tight windows downfield...perhaps he can't throw it that far....whatever the case, it still falls on Boras somewhat, as he's the one that put Keenum on the field with the knowledge that he can't throw certain routes....

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

He had his hands on his head and was looking up at the ceiling when he screamed those words so ... the TV thought "Oh he's not talking to me so I won't have them throw it downfield."

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
To answer the question of this thread's title, Yes. If the offense is bad today, there's no reason not to elevate Goff and Mannion.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler

I talk to the television constantly. Even if its not a Rams game I talk to it.

My wife or daughter will give me odd looks or inform me that no one can hear me.

And THAT'S the real problem. If they would listen to me, well...they'd score a hundred points a game.

"Come on, Tavon! Gotta catch that!"

"Block him! Block him!"

"What!!!! Why run the ball there?"

"Really? You couldn't go to the first down marker ?"

These are all little things that would help the team. Unfortunately I really do not believe they can hear me.

But one day when technology catches up......well--they'll probably MUTE me.

tbux

Rookie
No it never seems to work! :) I was dumfounded we didn't seem to make any HT adjustments. Frustrating to say the least. That's over however, lets see how we look this week.