If Only The Rams Had The Pac 12 All Time Leader Passer Already On The Roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who Is The All Time Pac 12 Leading Passing Yards Leader

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And here I thought you were just being cute because it was the Pac 10 when he was playing at OSU.

I shouldn't post with a pounding headache. I volunteered to coach my kids little league this year and it is taking longer than I thought to get my neck, (rods fusing 4 vertebrae) used to throwing a baseball. I am supposed to be more of a bench coach but already am filling in for the other MIA coaches.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I agree. And while I think that there are a couple of QBs in this draft who *appear* to offer more production and have higher ceilings, they too were/are college quarterbacks. I think Keenum and Mannion have their limitations, but I'm not convinced that Lynch or Cook or Goff are going to be clear upgrades. And I only say that because they're not coming into an environment conducive to QB production. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I think it would be a mistake to draft a QB who won't start and stand pat with the other facets of the offense. It's not wide open, doesn't have playmaking Y & Z receivers, doesn't have a beast TE, and isn't a vertical offensive system.

I have a feeling Fisher/Snead would agree with you on that. A lot of people feel Fisher doesn't trust rookies very often. Only if they're a special talent like Gurley and Donald. Chances are, if they pick a QB in the first round that QB will be holding a clipboard for a year. Can they afford to use a premium pick on a guy who won't contribute much if any in the first year?

Maybe the better option would be a guy like Treadwell? They could use a possession receiver with the kind of mentality that wants to go after the ball. Then again, I've been saying I don't Fisher can pass on a defensive stud if one is there at 15.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll take this guy on my team any day thank you!
9b79164a9a1b6e7b52c8d726ef04336a.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll take this guy on my team any day thank you!
9b79164a9a1b6e7b52c8d726ef04336a.jpg
That's right. You live in AZ. Did you see the thread I started about him in the College Football forum? I've been watching all the film I can get on him, and I agree. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's right. You live in AZ. Did you see the thread I started about him in the College Football forum? I've been watching all the film I can get on him, and I agree. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
No i didn't see that thread. You talking about Bercovici?
That's Jake the Snake Plummer i posted. One of my favorite QB's ever. LOVED how he played the game. At ASU, Arizona(Cardinals) and Denver.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I DID see your thread, @X . It was an interesting listen. Very intriguing. Surely teams will be thinking they can "sneak" him in a later round. Where would you guess he goes?
#76 overall. :shades:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. He would probably last until the 5th round, but I'm not taking that chance if I'm the Rams.
Not the sexy top tier pick many want. But you never know. And he is a local LA kid.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Your odds of finding a franchise QB in the first 15 picks are around 40% to 50%.

How is that percentage figured? What defines a guy as a "franchise QB"?

For instance do you consider Jeff George a "franchise QB"? He was the first overall pick in 1990. He played 12 years for 5 teams. Certainly he had the physical talent but the mental makeup was askew. He had 154 TDs, threw for 4,000 yards for Atlanta in 1995 (his 2nd team, 6th season) and 3900 for Oakland in 1999 (his 3rd team and 8th season) but did he define his career as a franchise QB or a very talented journeyman? I mean if I'm a GM and I'm using the #1 pick (or top 10 pick) on a QB, I want him on my team for more than 4 years (the longest George spent on any of his 5 teams). I probably want him on my team for 10 years, or 2 years less than George's total career with 5 teams.

Was Kerry Collins, #5 pick in 1995 a franchise QB? 18 years, 6 teams, career high 22 TDs, 3,000 yards 6 times, including a 4,000 yard season years 6-12. 208 TDs. Do we consider a guy a "franchise QB" because he plays X number of seasons? Or does he need to play X number of seasons at a very high level? And then there's the number of teams he's played for throughout that career. I feel if a guy is a franchise QB, he's going to play a long time for 1 franchise and not jump around 5 or 6 times.

It seems to be accepted fact that Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson are franchise QBs, two first round picks and a third rounder.

Is Alex Smith a franchise QB? Certainly he has looked really good with Andy Reid in KC. He didn't start showing signs of any success until year 6 in SF. And then he was benched in favor of 2nd round pick Colin Kaepernick and eventually moved on to another team.

When I think "franchise QB", I think of guys like Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc. One or two teams and success fairly early in their careers. If a guy doesn't start showing he had "it" by the time his rookie contract is up, can he be considered a "franchise QB"? And if it doesn't happen until he's with his 2nd or 3rd or 4th team, was that high pick well spent?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's funny some people are advocating us not taking a QB because of Mannion yet they say the Browns should because they don't know what they have in RG3.

Well to be fair, that's two different situations. RG3 has been in the NFL 4 years and played extensively in two of them. Mannion is going into his 2nd year and hasn't yet played in two games. But I get your gist. There is no way we should advocate for passing on a QB because of Mannion, just like we shouldn't advocate the Browns pass on one because of RG3.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well to be fair, that's two different situations. RG3 has been in the NFL 4 years and played extensively in two of them. Mannion is going into his 2nd year and hasn't yet played in two games. But I get your gist. There is no way we should advocate for passing on a QB because of Mannion, just like we shouldn't advocate the Browns pass on one because of RG3.
That's all I was saying, and I wouldn't be surprised by either teams draft decisions. Though I think it's easier for the Browns to pass, their overall roster talent is far less than what the Rams have. Them trading down is probably the best thing they can do and see what this new Moneyball football GM can do with those picks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wait, Bercovici? With our previous QB history I hope the young man would not be tagged with...wait for it..."Son of Sam."

:palm:
He won't. His dad's name is Ben. :flanders:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Bercovici, always seemed like the "other" QB on game days in the Pac12 yet all he ever did was outplay the "big name" QBs

Woulda never mentioned him in the same sentence with Mannion, Hogan, Hundley, Kessler or even Halladay, hell he was a backup his junior year till the starter was injured vs UCLA, tough kid great competitor, would be an intriguing pick, I wouldn't be against it.

@jrry32 and @OldSchool I did a lousy job of stating my point, the 10% I was referring to are not draft choice make or miss rates - for some reason I was equating that number to draft position of QBs throughout the NFLs history. (More than 10% of QBs with good to great nfl careers were drafted from the 3rd round on)

Of course, I'm just pulling that number out of my backside based on watching football a long, long time :thinking: