If not Malcomb Brown... then who?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay and Snead have been pretty intentional about who they keep on the active roster.

They kept both Jones and Calais on the 53, even though Calais was inactive a bunch. I don't think they do that unless they like them - and we already have our top two RBs locked in, so seems to me that those will be the four RBs next year.

Akers and Hendo IMO can get the short yardage.

As for the FB - I think he'd have to be a receiving threat.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both Darrell Henderson & Raymond Calais ended up getting injured & both ended up being on the season-ending Injured Reserve. You would be highly incorrect to say that the Rams RB's were a healthy group in 2020.

RB Rookie 5-11/210 Xavier Jones did remain healthy throughout the entire 2020 season. He suited up for 13 regular-season games plus two playoff games!

2020 NFL Draft: American Athletic Conference (AAC) Scouting Reports (profootballnetwork.com)
Xavier Jones, RB
Career Snapshot: Three-year starter who was named First Team All-AAC and rushed 244 times for 1,276 yards and a conference-best 23 touchdowns as a senior in 2019. Started six games as a true freshman in 2015 before he struggled with hamstring and shoulder injuries in 2016 and received a medical redshirt. Started 12 games and rushed for 1,075 yards as a sophomore in 2017 before he moved into a backup role in 2018.

Positives: Patient, productive ball carrier who is solid in all aspects. Displays vision, finds the open lanes, and runs hard. Instinctive, effectively follows blocks everywhere on the field and runs north and south. Has a tough style, keeps his feet moving and runs through arm tackles. Effective pass catcher out of the backfield and a solid blocker.

Negatives: Displays average quickness and speed and has marginal burst. More of a downhill runner who loses a lot of speed and balance when he tries to cut back against the grain or change direction.

Analysis: After he struggled with injury as a junior, Jones turned in a career year last season and produced as both a ball carrier and pass catcher. He comes with average size and speed, but he’s a good football player who could make a roster as a fourth back

Xavier Jones, RB, Los Angeles Rams, NFL - CBSSports.com
Jones played 177 special-teams snaps over 13 games during the 2020 regular season.It was a quiet rookie season for the undrafted free agent out of SMU. However, he could have an opportunity to climb the depth chart with veteran Malcolm Brown headed for free agency. Jones' fantasy value is probably limited as long as Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson (ankle) are healthy, and the Rams could also add a running back in the draft or free agency.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
This has got me thinking. Why don’t teams use the TE in the backfield more as a RB? Especially in obvious passing downs. Bigger and better pass blocker. Better out of the backfield for screens and such. Can even use them occasionally in running plays - for those more athletic like Everett types - to keep teams honest.

You don’t really see that except for the Hback types. Sometimes you see a WR line up there. But I’m talking TEs. Occasionally it’s maybe done. But why not more frequently?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
If MalComb Brown is unavailable maybe we can sign Peyton Barber.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
i don't know if it is or was ever true but way back they used to say that a fb was not accounted for in pass coverage. so i think we should draft tommy tremble and use him at fb. he could be a lead blocker,short yardage power back and a receiver out of the back field. i notice that a lot of the better running teams use a fb a lot. plus we could use him in line blocking at times he would just add so many different looks to the offence.
Earlier this year they had Everett line up at FB in the Washington game and on one play he ran a wheel route type pattern and went down the right sideline for 40 yards... Was waiting for McVay to try it again later in the season and I don't recall Everett ever lining up there again and definitely not running that pass play again.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Neither Jones nor Calais are big between the tackle type of RBs like Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought Malcolm back.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Neither Jones nor Calais are big between the tackle type of RBs like Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought Malcolm back.
200.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Draft Ben Mason. FB from Michigan. He is a 6'-3" 255 lb. hammer. McVay drafted a FB in his first year in LA, so its not like he is opposed to fullbacks.
He may be onto something. McVay did indeed try to draft one he just missed on the pick. Also Mason sounds like a real character player who can add a lot to a roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here is a relevant post by a very respected poster named Deadpool from another board. I think you’ll find it interesting.

Here’s Deadpool...

I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately into how to improve the blocking.

And this is what I have come up with:

Draft Ben Mason. FB from Michigan. He is a 6'-3" 255 lb. hammer. McVay drafted a FB in his first year in LA, so its not like he is opposed to fullbacks.

Mason makes a ton of sense on multiple levels:

1. Was a core special teamer at Michigan, that is something the Rams could use.
2. The Rams had a TE room of Everett, Mundt, Higbee and Hopkins. they weighed 240, 233, 255 and 245 respectively. Letting Everett go in FA and replacing him with Hopkins solves the pass catcher and it opens up a slot for Foster, who becomes the biggest, toughest, strongest TE/RB on the team.
3. He has been and can be used in short yardage situations, along with Akers, that makes Malcolm Brown expendable in Fa as well.
4. He also fits the Rams draft patterns of valuing a Senior Bowl player. One who happened to be a Mich. academic All American and team captain.
5. You can draft him late, hell I'd overdraft him in the 5th or 6th round just to make sure I land him.

So to recap, you draft a 5th or 6th round kid that immediately improves your special teams, replaces 2 positions lost in free agency with a cheap alternative and becomes an immediate improvement in the blocking game. Either at TE or FB or at the H. And because is is a late pick and cheap, you don't feel the need to use him on every play. You can use him in 5-10% of the plays and feel justified.

He'd become even more important in a situation where you move Havs and Evans slides into the RT spot. They chipped alot last year with Evans on the right and Mason would be absolutely perfect for that.

Beyond Mason, I'm still drafting a top OC early. I want one in the 2nd but the 3rd works for me as well. Adding a beefier, tougher OC cleans up a lot of the interior rush and there is plenty of proof out there that rookie OCs can start and make a difference early on in their careers.

So with Whit, Edwards, rookie OC, Corbett and Havs (or Evans) and Mason, you have a very good blocking OL that can win goalline situations and short yardage 3rd downs.

I also think this opens up the 3rd and 4th rounds to get ILBers, Edge rushers and CBs or DL ( I think M. Jones ends up on the Rams team somehow, solving the deepthreat situation)

makes total sense... Rodgers was brought in & Shanahan first FA as a Niner coach was that FB/ He used Everett as a FB as well this season.
Matt Lafleur used a FB against the Rams this last loss.
Blythe & Brown need to part along with Brockers & Havienstien ? For cap space & change.New leadership & locker room. AD needs to Be The Man now.
Center has been used in different ways with McSnead.Now more than ever is the time to draft a Center.The Rams will lose to much in 2022 upfront.Even if he doesn’t start The Rams need solid depth.Either Allen or Shelton need to GO!! Make the decision or lock one in if not ?
Sprinkle in the draft picks by Best Available.
I do think will know a lot more about McSnead very soon on direction though upfront & if WR is The Number 1 position to fill if Marvin Jones is not resigned.
Malcom Brown has been solid & at one point The best HB at times.I think NE would be a good spot for him.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I

If Donald wasn't so important to our defense I would put him at FB near the goal line.

But dammit - no way would I put Donald on offense. But imagine what he could do with his speed and strength.

Everyone would expect Donald up the middle, but he's so athletic, I'd give him a sweep and see what CB wants to try and tackle him.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I'd like to see us keep Brown.
His productivity went down as Akers became our number 1, but Brown had a good season opener against the Cowboys.
I have concerns over Hendo's durability.
Maybe we already have a number 3 back on the roster ready to step up.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
25 and snowing with snow expected the next four days....The Great Northeast!
Got news for ya. That's the same forecast for us down South in Arkansas. It's -2 degrees as I post this with more snow on the way. I married a woman from Cheektowaga NY 36 years ago and I'm thinking this is all her fault. Brought that dad gummed Yankee weather with her!!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd like to see us keep Brown.
His productivity went down as Akers became our number 1, but Brown had a good season opener against the Cowboys.
I have concerns over Hendo's durability.
Maybe we already have a number 3 back on the roster ready to step up.
I like Malcom Brown and am a Fan for Ram udrfa who make it.The Rams chose Brown over CJ Anderson after The SuperBowl.Now he is a FA again.
I think he finds a team that pays him in the open market.
I also like the 2 rookie RB’s on the roster.Imo it’s Calis over X.Jones.Then again McSnead finds these types of players,so another player will be add on draft weekend.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What about Calis ? I agree with the report.Preseason will be fun.
Both Darrell Henderson & Raymond Calais ended up getting injured & both ended up being on the season-ending Injured Reserve. You would be highly incorrect to say that the Rams RB's were a healthy group in 2020.

RB Rookie 5-11/210 Xavier Jones did remain healthy throughout the entire 2020 season. He suited up for 13 regular-season games plus two playoff games!

2020 NFL Draft: American Athletic Conference (AAC) Scouting Reports (profootballnetwork.com)
Xavier Jones, RB
Career Snapshot: Three-year starter who was named First Team All-AAC and rushed 244 times for 1,276 yards and a conference-best 23 touchdowns as a senior in 2019. Started six games as a true freshman in 2015 before he struggled with hamstring and shoulder injuries in 2016 and received a medical redshirt. Started 12 games and rushed for 1,075 yards as a sophomore in 2017 before he moved into a backup role in 2018.

Positives: Patient, productive ball carrier who is solid in all aspects. Displays vision, finds the open lanes, and runs hard. Instinctive, effectively follows blocks everywhere on the field and runs north and south. Has a tough style, keeps his feet moving and runs through arm tackles. Effective pass catcher out of the backfield and a solid blocker.

Negatives: Displays average quickness and speed and has marginal burst. More of a downhill runner who loses a lot of speed and balance when he tries to cut back against the grain or change direction.

Analysis: After he struggled with injury as a junior, Jones turned in a career year last season and produced as both a ball carrier and pass catcher. He comes with average size and speed, but he’s a good football player who could make a roster as a fourth back

Xavier Jones, RB, Los Angeles Rams, NFL - CBSSports.com
Jones played 177 special-teams snaps over 13 games during the 2020 regular season.It was a quiet rookie season for the undrafted free agent out of SMU. However, he could have an opportunity to climb the depth chart with veteran Malcolm Brown headed for free agency. Jones' fantasy value is probably limited as long as Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson (ankle) are healthy, and the Rams could also add a running back in the draft or free agency.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am here after reading responses.

Just not sure it’s Malcolm Brown.. as Jones/Calais don’t strike me as “enough Brown” in them.... I could see an UDFA here or late rounder targeted. Maybe a FA that fits uniquely.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Akers and Hendo will be more than enough for the team. I think the need for a power back is a bit over rated. If the run blocking is working they will get their yards. Brown is/was a nice player at times, but I dont recall him ever plowing thru the line and getting crucial yards we need when the blocking wasnt there.
It wont surprise me if he doesnt come back though, I dont think there will be a market out there for him and he may decide to just stay with what he knows. League min is around 1 mill, and if he cant find a gig elsewhere they can find the room for him at that number
Not one of our current backs have proven to be durable, esp Hendo

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not one of our current backs have proven to be durable, esp Hendo
Well, they were durable enough to combine for 280 carries last season, and Akers was a horse in the playoffs, so I'm not concerned about that.
And not for nothing, it's not like Brown is an ironman anyways, he gets hurt every year, even in limited playing time

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Would love to see us get a fullback.

yeah i definitely want a full back and just love mason's size and teams help. tremble would give us a better pass receiving option so would rather have the tremble guy but would be glade to have ether.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Brown's cost (and that he was getting more ineffectual as the year progressed....) makes me want to look at some low cost rooks or udfas for that spot. Just get a feet in the mud blocking TE or start utilizing a swing tackle as blocking back.