If not Malcomb Brown... then who?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It sounds like the Rams are going to let Brown test FA, right?

Everyone seems to be using insight from Jourdan Rodrigue of The Athletic; the Rams are "unlikely to bring back" RB Malcolm Brown. (Source: The Athletic)

LINK OTHER

Do we have his replacement?

We have Jones and Calais as depth now.

So, if we go with 3 on the roster...

Akers
Henderson
TBD?

It sure looks like... If Rams are letting Brown go, they have plans to add someone (new) that plays on game day?

Someone for the “power role”?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Akers and Hendo will be more than enough for the team. I think the need for a power back is a bit over rated. If the run blocking is working they will get their yards. Brown is/was a nice player at times, but I dont recall him ever plowing thru the line and getting crucial yards we need when the blocking wasnt there.
It wont surprise me if he doesnt come back though, I dont think there will be a market out there for him and he may decide to just stay with what he knows. League min is around 1 mill, and if he cant find a gig elsewhere they can find the room for him at that number

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It sounds like the Rams are going to let Brown test FA, right?

Everyone seems to be using insight from Jourdan Rodrigue of The Athletic; the Rams are "unlikely to bring back" RB Malcolm Brown. (Source: The Athletic)

LINK OTHER

Do we have his replacement?

We have Jones and Calais as depth now.

So, if we go with 3 on the roster...

Akers
Henderson
TBD?

It sure looks like... If Rams are letting Brown go, they have plans to add someone (new) that plays on game day?

Someone for the “power role”?
Every year I advocate them to pick up the best fullback in the draft.
And every year they ignore me!
:oops:
Usually the best fullback in the draft is still sitting there in the fourth round.
So basically, we could get the best fullback in the draft with a comp pick.

I love a good old-fashioned snot knocking FB to wear those linebackers and safeties out so we can beat him with speed backs later in the game.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Every year I advocate them to pick up the best fullback in the draft.
And every year they ignore me!
:oops:
Usually the best fullback in the draft is still sitting there in the fourth round.
So basically, we could get the best fullback in the draft with a comp pick.

I love a good old-fashioned snot knocking FB to wear those linebackers and safeties out so we can beat him with speed backs later in the game.
Agree a FB, who could play TB if needed, would be perfect.

Just gives you a diff look and might force McVay to be more balanced.

I am afraid he goes all Don Shula (w/ Marino) and has Stafford throw it 45 times a game...which has likely happened to all of his coaches in the past.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Brown is likely gone. He's done well in his reserved roll but it's time to get more of a FB with Hendo/Akers.. also think we have a young RB on the roster then can do what Brown does, and is cheaper.

And hopefully they quit this RBBC. Loved how they just let Akers be the primary back late in the season.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Neither Akers or Hendo have been reliable so far, each have been injured multiple times last season. A FB to take some of the hits or another RB is obviously needed unless Calais or Jones have something to offer?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope that Akers has gotten past getting hurt but Hendo and Akers both have missed time, so we definitely need a third option.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Take a page from Ditka’s book and use Sebastian Joseph-Day in goal line situations. We can call him the washing machine or something since Fridge is already taken.

Tano

Legend
I
Take a page from Ditka’s book and use Sebastian Joseph-Day in goal line situations. We can call him the washing machine or something since Fridge is already taken.
If Donald wasn't so important to our defense I would put him at FB near the goal line.

But dammit - no way would I put Donald on offense. But imagine what he could do with his speed and strength.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i don't know if it is or was ever true but way back they used to say that a fb was not accounted for in pass coverage. so i think we should draft tommy tremble and use him at fb. he could be a lead blocker,short yardage power back and a receiver out of the back field. i notice that a lot of the better running teams use a fb a lot. plus we could use him in line blocking at times he would just add so many different looks to the offence.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My thought on this topic is that the Question could be re-phrased “Who will be the Rams’ #3 RB in 2021”.

Feel like Akers and Henderson are clearly #1 and #2; and that may be enough if both are healthy all season. Huge ‘if’.

So a good #3 RB is needed. Could be Jones (have to see him play). Could be Brown if he would re-sign for a low amount (good player but may not have much of a market).

Could be a mid/late round pick. Many good (not special RBs) were late round picks.

Finally, could be a veteran, who was a top-back at one point. Those type of players are always out there because teams tend to go young at RB. Some vets just retire, while others want to play.

The key for me is what type of skill set does McVay want. Personally, I would like a power/short-yardage back so the young RBs don’t need to take extra pounding. I check for e-mails and texts daily but McVay has not reached out for my opinion.

Makes no sense! Right?!?