If I Was Going Wr High In The Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I agree. Mike Evans at Pick #13 is seeming more and more right to me.

how about moving cook to wr and picking up an inline te in fa they should come cheap. then use kendrick as receiving te

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly. He has heavy feet and yet the guy thinks he's going to make people miss. Play to your strength, lower your shoulders and use your compact build, balance and power.
Which would be fine IF he was the size of Christian Okoye or Pete Johnson but at his size he needs more elusiveness and is by all indications a double 1st round bust .HOW IN Gods name did Indy not see how ineffective he was? Cleveland sure I can see falling for the hype, but with a chance to see the guy against NFL defenses Indy STILL bailed the Browns out..........incredible .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which would be fine IF he was the size of Christian Okoye or Pete Johnson but at his size he needs more elusiveness and is by all indications a double 1st round bust .HOW IN Gods name did Indy not see how ineffective he was? Cleveland sure I can see falling for the hype, but with a chance to see the guy against NFL defenses Indy STILL bailed the Browns out..........incredible .

Eh, I disagree. Guy is 5'9" 228. He's built like a tank. Just needs to stop trying to run around people.

how about moving cook to wr and picking up an inline te in fa they should come cheap. then use kendrick as receiving te

Cook's strength is that he's athletic for a TE which dictates better match-ups. Moving him to WR doesn't really help that. He's not a good enough route runner or physical enough for his size to really be the threat he is at TE when playing WR.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Eh, I disagree. Guy is 5'9" 228.

"Pete Johnson, the Cincinnati Bengals' fullback, is as thick, tough and hard to stop as a Sherman tank. He can clank the length of a football field in 9.9 seconds, which is very fast indeed for a guy who sometimes weighs more than 275 pounds."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126221/index.htm

Richardson is only marginally bigger than Zac Stacy and has NONE of the moves and BTW plays against far bigger people than Johnson did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Pete Johnson, the Cincinnati Bengals' fullback, is as thick, tough and hard to stop as a Sherman tank. He can clank the length of a football field in 9.9 seconds, which is very fast indeed for a guy who sometimes weighs more than 275 pounds."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126221/index.htm

Richardson is only marginally bigger than Zac Stacy and has NONE of the moves and BTW plays against far bigger people than Johnson did.

I'm not disagreeing but 5'9" 228 is plenty big enough to be a power HB. You don't have to be 6'1" 260 like the Nightmare or 275 like Mr. Johnson. :wink:

Stacy might be similar in weight but Richardson is more muscular and a stronger guy. Marshawn Lynch is only 5'11" 220ish and that dude runs with some serious power and leg drive. If Richardson can with Lynch's tenacity and violence, he'd be a successful HB. Plus, some of our older friends might remember Joe Morris. IMO, being a power HB is as much about mind-set as it is about size and strength...and for whatever reason, Richardson doesn't seem to have that mind-set right now. He needs to figure it out because he still has talent.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Eh, I disagree. Guy is 5'9" 228. He's built like a tank. Just needs to stop trying to run around people.

Cook's strength is that he's athletic for a TE which dictates better match-ups. Moving him to WR doesn't really help that. He's not a good enough route runner or physical enough for his size to really be the threat he is at TE when playing WR.

yea i see your point but it would be interesting to see how the df would react. would they try to cover him with a cb if so weather he ran good routes or not he would be a miss match

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm not disagreeing but 5'9" 228 is plenty big enough to be a power HB. You don't have to be 6'1" 260 like the Nightmare or 275 like Mr. Johnson. :wink:

Stacy might be similar in weight but Richardson is more muscular and a stronger guy. Marshawn Lynch is only 5'11" 220ish and that dude runs with some serious power and leg drive. If Richardson can with Lynch's tenacity and violence, he'd be a successful HB. Plus, some of our older friends might remember Joe Morris. IMO, being a power HB is as much about mind-set as it is about size and strength...and for whatever reason, Richardson doesn't seem to have that mind-set right now. He needs to figure it out because he still has talent.

OK I won't dump on your man crush any more:lol: JK jr JK

V3

Hall of Fame
Seems a lot of people think our wr corps is lacking and if i was of that mind I wouldn't draft Watkins,here's why.
First off this is no knock on Watkins, if I was starting over at wr I'd look long and hard at him,my feeling though is ,not for this team. We have a good mix of size and speed /explosiveness on this team ,if all these guys were performing up to expectations you'd be hard pressed to find fault with this mix,so for me the question becomes which part of the mix is lacking the most. Again now if you are drafting a wr. for need I don't think what Watkins brings is where we are weakest or are most in need of..
If I'm drafting to replace someone it's Quick or Pettis and Watkins doesn't replace the size you give up there .
I keep going back to how well the Bears did with Mc Cown and attribute it to the size of his targets and their ability to separate and deny the DB the ball or the chance to break up the pass. I think maybe here is a spot where I /Fisher takes a chance on a guy with some baggage whose stock has dropped and we go for Dorial Green Beckham .

Thoughts?

That's basically what I said in a thread a while ago debating Watkins vs Evans. I feel Evans is the type of WR the Rams NEED. I don't feel Quick will develop. I could be wrong and I know there are plenty here that feel the opposite. Just being honest. I feel Watkins is probably(still need to watch more vids on both) the better prospect but he isn't really what we need. Don't get me wrong, if Watkins turns into a stud, it wouldn't matter what size he was. I don't think anyone would mind having Holt back on the team(reminds me of him). But in terms of having a nice mix like you mentioned, I think Quick and Pettis are both easily replaced which tells you that we don't have a big WR target to go against the big and physical DB's that we face all the time in this damned division.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
That's basically what I said in a thread a while ago debating Watkins vs Evans. I feel Evans is the type of WR the Rams NEED. I don't feel Quick will develop. I could be wrong and I know there are plenty here that feel the opposite. Just being honest. I feel Watkins is probably(still need to watch more vids on both) the better prospect but he isn't really what we need. Don't get me wrong, if Watkins turns into a stud, it wouldn't matter what size he was. I don't think anyone would mind having Holt back on the team(reminds me of him). But in terms of having a nice mix like you mentioned, I think Quick and Pettis are both easily replaced which tells you that we don't have a big WR target to go against the big and physical DB's that we face all the time in this damned division.
Which Pettis AND OR Quick DO need to be this year or Cook needs to be converted to wr or something cuz what we lack we agree upon.

Like I said starting from scratch it'd be Watkins ,but if we're going for need at wr there are better choices for what we need from the position

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Not anymore. Now I'm disgusted by him. Total waste of talent. :wink:
OH so you were just jerkin ol Odins chain huh? expect a visit from junior next time it rains

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I like Watkins. But there are a lot of guys I like in this draft, more so than last years draft.

Last year I liked Ogletree, Richardson, and Vaccaro a lot. I had concerns about all the others.

RFIP

Whatever we do: stop messing around.

No more developmental guys like Quick, or mid round guys like Givens. If we need help, admit it and invest: Sammy W

If the Rams don't see a need to invest that high, then Freak it. Don't draft a WR.

I'm sick of our half toe in the water approach to WR. Yeah, yeah we drafted Austin. Well, is that all we need?
Bing-the-hell-O! :number1:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Except of course every player coming out of college is a developmental guy and the NFL ready guys are few and far between,the list if HOF wrs who performed at levels remarkably close to Quicksis long .
Go back and read my first post in your greatest sports moments ,I know from personal experience that people develop at different rates and I trust our coaches to see infinitely more than we do.
If for the sake of argument our wrs make leaps this year,which I think they will, are they behind the team ? or are they right on schedule ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Except of course every player coming out of college is a developmental guy and the NFL ready guys are few and far between,the list if HOF wrs who performed at levels remarkably close to Quicksis long .
Go back and read my first post in your greatest sports moments ,I know from personal experience that people develop at different rates and I trust our coaches to see infinitely more than we do.
If for the sake of argument our wrs make leaps this year,which I think they will, are they behind the team ? or are they right on schedule ?

Name one HOF who performed close to Quick? Depending on how loosely you define "close to" I can find one All Pro, and he only made it as a PR/KR/WR rather than just a WR.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Name one HOF who performed close to Quick? Depending on how loosely you define "close to" I can find one All Pro, and he only made it as a PR/KR/WR rather than just a WR.
Isaac Bruce Bruce got more time and yards but YPC Quick blew him away first year

Jimmy Smith...who would likely be a HOFer if he played in a bigger market and didn't have issues with blow...is an answer.

That's a good one, if anything he had a more disappointing first two seasons, and a small school guy like Quick. It's good to know that they do exist.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Jimmy Smith...who would likely be a HOFer if he played in a bigger market and didn't have issues with blow...is an answer.
I look mainly at the first year cuz that's how Pro ready you are ,which is the gripe here. Quick did well in comparison,to several HOF wrs. THAT the Rams brought in three guys Bailey ,Austin and Cook two of whom they tried to force the ball to is something the other guys didn't deal with but STRAIGHT out of college he doesn't suffer in comparison to guys like Chris Carter , James Lofton ,Bruce ,Joiner, admittedly his second year isn't as impressive as any of those guys ,but again he is on a team that was building a corps of recs and clearly didn't get the playing time and targets the others did.
I don't expect Quick to be a HOFr and he may never develop to expectations but again we were talking how they hit the ground right after drafting them and he didn't do so bad there,I think the lament was "developmental guys".