I say we go with Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Pretty expensive back-up, no?

And it's presumptuous to assume Bradford would get injured again.

Possible? Sure
Probably? Maybe
Certain? Of course not.

JMHO
U probably were saying t he same thing last year. If Fisher were to do this and Bradford gets hurt again the media would tear Fisher apart. Also that would probably be his job right then in season. That just wouldn't be smart to have Good Starting caliber backup for Bradford

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams are going to go with Bradford. The "competition" isn't gonna matter, it would take an elite QB to come in to camp and beat him out given his familiarity with the receivers and whatnot. Anyone the Rams bring in will lose that competition to him, basically.

Difference is the depth. I take Fish's mention of competition as that he's gonna have a starter-level backup.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that's if Bradford makes it through preseason. All of us love Sam Bradford, but you have to have a better plan in place than you had the last two years. Let's hope Sam will have a nice stretch of health, but we study history so we are doomed to repeat it and in this case a viable option must be put in place so this regime is not doomed to repeat it.
I totally agree. I'd love nothing more than to see Sam Bradford play 16 games next season, and the season after that, and after that etc....
Unfortunately, that cant be the plan. 2 years in a row that plan proved devastating

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pretty expensive back-up, no?

And it's presumptuous to assume Bradford would get injured again.

Possible? Sure
Probably? Maybe YES
Certain? Of course not.Maybe

JMHO

Presumptuous? If you were forced to bet money either way that Bradford would or would not get injured next year, which way would you bet? I would be laying it all on the injury happening.

Do you really think there is no need for a better backup QB, especially when considering that your QB is coming off of a second ACL tear? Plus consider how both tears happened. Neither tear happened from some extreme wrenching of the knee. When watching it was hard to believe that the injuries were as extreme as they were? Throw in that he has had other injuries through his career(shoulder/ankle) and at this point it is safe to say that Bradford seems a bit injury prone.

Are you content with Sean Hill? You wouldn't want the Rams to get a guy like Foles or Glennon(who is currently a backup) for more insurance? You want a 36 year old career backup to be the Rams starter after watching it happen unsuccessfully for two years?

Here is what I think. The Rams need a better backup. They need a backup who could possibly be the starter over the next few years until the Rams can find a better QB option, in case Sams knee blows out a third time. I think Sean Hill is not that guy because he is too old and Austin Davis can't be a full time starter in the NFL. NOW is the time to find that QB, while Fisher/Sneads plan is starting to come together and Sams contract is a year from expiring. The Rams are a few Olinemen and a healthy starting caliber QB away from being a play off caliber team. Ignoring the backup QB position would be foolish because NFL teams windows open and close like..........windows. Three years can fly by and a team can go from a winner to a loser overnight. I want the Rams to have a QB that is capable of starting and winning playoff games. Bradford so far has missed more games to injury than he has started. Just saying.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Easy to recognize that we need a better 2nd option / much harder to get one on the roster.

How important is it? More important than the O line? Worth using 2016 draft picks?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If Bradford were a free agent...................... I think he would be at the top of the list by wide margin for any QB needy team, even with the ACL issues, IMO.

He has a lot of unfulfilled potential and the Rams would be crazy to let that walk out the door even with his ACL History. The rub is he carries such a big salary for a player perceived to be an above average injury risk.

Some fans are ready to move and I understand that but I am not one of them.

I think the risk of Bradford getting hurt again may actually be lowered due to the law of averages. I do not think he has a genetic predisposition for injury but maybe I am wrong. I think it has just been unfortunate and so hopefully he has used up his allotment of major injury misfortune so to speak. Sure Bradford has the twice-repaired ACL but for the last year and half the rest of his body has not taken the overall beating that is inflicted on NFL QB's.

With that said the Rams must by all means mitigate the risk of losing Bradford in 2015 even if that entails overpaying for a backup QB and bringing five QB's to camp. For me the alternatives/backup options are just not that inspiring.

Of the outside options, Foles may be the best of the group but he is currently unavailable and he will cost the most to acquire.

After that you have a bunch of major reclamation and developmental projects or washed-up never-has-beens. In some ways Bradford is a reclamation project too but he also has the most upside of the group as well.

ram007

Starter
We are pot committed with Sam Bradford for this year. Sure, he has a high price tag. No question he hasn't been worth his rookie contract. There is no telling if he will play 16 games this year - or ever again for that matter. Still, of the available options - Sam is out best choice.

Nick Foles? Also coming off an injury / one good year followed by a more recent not so good year - and let's not kid ourselves - he will cost a day 2 pick at least.

Mike Glennon? Wasn't getting it done throwing to Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. TB has had a nice long look and if they are making him available for a day 3 pick, what is that telling us? Honestly, he isn't a bad QB to bring in to compete, but replacing Sam with Glennon is a step backwards.

Trade up? Absent some real luck, Winston and MM are gone at 10. We either mortgage next years draft or lose the rest of this years to go get one of them - and we are still playing with 2/5 of an offensive line.

We have been patient with Sam - and we have seen that if he stays healthy he can be the guy. Why pass the dice now when there is only one more roll on his contract?

We don't have a choice. Sam is it for 2015

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well said @12intheBox . There is not a better option available.
You should have stated this in BIGGER BOLDER FONT!! I completely agree!!!

it's presumptuous to assume Bradford would get injured again.

Possible? Sure
Probably? Maybe
Certain? Of course not.
I believe Bradford comes back better than ever! Think back to when EVERYONE wrote-Off Drew Brees when he left San Diego for New Orleans. NO one gave him a chance of being successful after his injury and surgery. Look at the career he's had since! Ibelieve in Sam!!(y)(y);):D

ram007

Starter
You should have stated this in BIGGER BOLDER FONT!! I completely agree!!!

I believe Bradford comes back better than ever! Think back to when EVERYONE wrote-Off Drew Brees when he left San Diego for New Orleans. NO one gave him a chance of being successful after his injury and surgery. Look at the career he's had since! Ibelieve in Sam!!(y)(y);):D

Please tell me Asshole Face is the new OC!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't mind if they go with him, but they need to approach this offseason like he's not even an option.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't mind if they go with him, but they need to approach this offseason like he's not even an option.
As usual, somebody is able to put my thoughts in to words I cant seem to put together....
Well said.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Or ride the boom/bust barrel of Hundley.
That's what I'm talking about...Hey yeah gotta go all in sometimes...let it ride....
Where's Les at? Check my rise in ROD$$$$ baby!!! Bout to catch Dag!!!!!!
Q_Q

FRO

Legend
I partly agree and disagree. If you act like he isn't an option then 75% of your resources should be sunk into QB and the other 25% on the line. With him you feel that you have a guy who can be a great QB, so you aren't willing to trade a silly trade to get a QB.

I think Glennon would be a good guy for us as a backup. He has starting tools and ability. Like other posters have said , if Sam is healthy and on his game he will be very tough to beat.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It is possible to fix our Oline in FA if we make the right moves to clear up some cap we could go all in in FA to fix the Oline and then turn around and go all in in the draft to move up and get one of the QBs. It is possible. but our best chance for this franchise to turn the corner and to stay there is for Sam Bradford to come back and stay healthy so we can keep our draft picks and go young on the Oline. I for one hope that happends but there is voice in the back of my head screaming you idiot we can't go through this again and again and again..... thats the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.... So I wouldn't be oppsed to the idea of going all in in FA to fix oline and then doing whatever it takes to jump up and grab whichever QB the rams see fit to be the future of the franchise. This team is young and loaded with talent just waiting on the last few pieces.. Lets go get those last few pieces this year and be done with it!

Best to use that freed up cap to go after our own 2016 Rams who will enter free agency. That number is 17 & 7 or 8 of them are or have been starters. You burn any chance of that going after UFA's to fix all these OL holes this off season. You loose those key Ram starters in 2016 & things will go further south than they where we are today. Its a net big loss for the teams future.

Snead has been very good in his judgement of college talent thus far I would prefer to let him go heavy duty in OL in this draft & go light in UFA'cy outside our own FA Rams. Roll the dice in the draft and get that OL fixed with some young healthy talent for once.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It is possible to fix our Oline in FA if we make the right moves to clear up some cap we could go all in in FA to fix the Oline and then turn around and go all in in the draft to move up and get one of the QBs. It is possible. but our best chance for this franchise to turn the corner and to stay there is for Sam Bradford to come back and stay healthy so we can keep our draft picks and go young on the Oline. I for one hope that happends but there is voice in the back of my head screaming you idiot we can't go through this again and again and again..... thats the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.... So I wouldn't be oppsed to the idea of going all in in FA to fix oline and then doing whatever it takes to jump up and grab whichever QB the rams see fit to be the future of the franchise. This team is young and loaded with talent just waiting on the last few pieces.. Lets go get those last few pieces this year and be done with it!
Have to disagree here. First, the top two quarterbacks in this draft aren't really even worthy of going all in on, regardless of need.

Second, we've been patching the offensive line through free agency for years which has been the root cause of our offensive woes.

Third, I think Washington has clearly demonstrated why you can't simply go all in on the perfect quarterback and fix your problems. In fact, I think it can create more problems.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, I don't want to see management reach out in a desperation move to draft a quarterback who doesn't necessarily fit the system.

But to your point that we need to address the offensive line via. free agency, absolutely, but that doesn't preclude us from adding youth there at the same time as well.

To me, the only all in mentality that works for this team is regarding the offensive line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I partly agree and disagree. If you act like he isn't an option then 75% of your resources should be sunk into QB and the other 25% on the line. With him you feel that you have a guy who can be a great QB, so you aren't willing to trade a silly trade to get a QB.

I think Glennon would be a good guy for us as a backup. He has starting tools and ability. Like other posters have said , if Sam is healthy and on his game he will be very tough to beat.
I get what you're saying, but they need to prepare for the future now. The odds of Sam coming back 'strong' immediately following a send knee procedure are pretty low. And if (God forbid) he bangs that same knee up again, there better damn well be a guy in place to be the starter and not just a stop gap. If not, then we're doing this all over again next year.

And I'm done waiting.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
IMO:

1. I think Sam needs more time than the start of the offseason before he plays, he will be even more of a targeted man AND he (and the Rams) may benefit from a fresh start.
2. I don't think any QB in this draft is worth going "up" to get in this years draft, I'd like to pick up a FA QB AND try draft one...
3. I don't think Hill is an option, we know his ceiling.