I say we go with Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We are pot committed with Sam Bradford for this year. Sure, he has a high price tag. No question he hasn't been worth his rookie contract. There is no telling if he will play 16 games this year - or ever again for that matter. Still, of the available options - Sam is out best choice.

Nick Foles? Also coming off an injury / one good year followed by a more recent not so good year - and let's not kid ourselves - he will cost a day 2 pick at least.

Mike Glennon? Wasn't getting it done throwing to Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. TB has had a nice long look and if they are making him available for a day 3 pick, what is that telling us? Honestly, he isn't a bad QB to bring in to compete, but replacing Sam with Glennon is a step backwards.

Trade up? Absent some real luck, Winston and MM are gone at 10. We either mortgage next years draft or lose the rest of this years to go get one of them - and we are still playing with 2/5 of an offensive line.

We have been patient with Sam - and we have seen that if he stays healthy he can be the guy. Why pass the dice now when there is only one more roll on his contract?

RAMBUSH

Starter
I agree, Sam the ram to the promised land. If he can just get a lil luck and stay healthy, I think this team would be really tough to beat.i say he deserves the shot, he is damn good.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
TB has had a nice long look and if they are making him available for a day 3 pick, what is that telling us?

All it means is that he's not Lovie's guy. Glennon has played well, not his fault Lovie wants his own guy.

As for the day 3 pick, he's being made available for that because he probably won't make the Tampa Bay roster anyway, again not because he's bad, but because the Bucs are drafting a QB, and they'd rather keep McCown as the #2. Might as well get something for him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well said @12intheBox . There is not a better option available.
I have seen it this way ever since Davis and Hill proved they can't be any loing term solution.

All roads seemed to point back to rolling the dice on Bradford.

Bringing in Foles or Gennon seems more of the same to me... they are, at best, equal to Bradford.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so we go with Bradford. That gets us say 4-6 games. Who starts the other 10-12 games?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We are pot committed with Sam Bradford for this year. Sure, he has a high price tag. No question he hasn't been worth his rookie contract. There is no telling if he will play 16 games this year - or ever again for that matter. Still, of the available options - Sam is out best choice.

Nick Foles? Also coming off an injury / one good year followed by a more recent not so good year - and let's not kid ourselves - he will cost a day 2 pick at least.

Mike Glennon? Wasn't getting it done throwing to Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. TB has had a nice long look and if they are making him available for a day 3 pick, what is that telling us? Honestly, he isn't a bad QB to bring in to compete, but replacing Sam with Glennon is a step backwards.

Trade up? Absent some real luck, Winston and MM are gone at 10. We either mortgage next years draft or lose the rest of this years to go get one of them - and we are still playing with 2/5 of an offensive line.

We have been patient with Sam - and we have seen that if he stays healthy he can be the guy. Why pass the dice now when there is only one more roll on his contract?

Why would bringing in Glennon or Foles automatically mean that they are the starters? I always saw those options as insurance if Bradford gets injured. Just a more reliable backup if you will.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would bringing in Glennon or Foles automatically mean that they are the starters? I always saw those options as insurance if Bradford gets injured. Just a more reliable backup if you will.
Pretty expensive back-up, no?

And it's presumptuous to assume Bradford would get injured again.

Possible? Sure
Probably? Maybe
Certain? Of course not.

JMHO

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
There's really aren't many alternatives, and they need to spend draft capital shoring up the offensive line so that this team can be ready for whomever they ultimately decide to draft as their future quarterback.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
It is possible to fix our Oline in FA if we make the right moves to clear up some cap we could go all in in FA to fix the Oline and then turn around and go all in in the draft to move up and get one of the QBs. It is possible. but our best chance for this franchise to turn the corner and to stay there is for Sam Bradford to come back and stay healthy so we can keep our draft picks and go young on the Oline. I for one hope that happends but there is voice in the back of my head screaming you idiot we can't go through this again and again and again..... thats the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.... So I wouldn't be oppsed to the idea of going all in in FA to fix oline and then doing whatever it takes to jump up and grab whichever QB the rams see fit to be the future of the franchise. This team is young and loaded with talent just waiting on the last few pieces.. Lets go get those last few pieces this year and be done with it!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty expensive back-up, no?

And it's presumptuous to assume Bradford would get injured again.

Possible? Sure
Probably? Maybe
Certain? Of course not.

JMHO
And worth every penny lol. I don't think it's far fetched to think Bradford might go down again. He's missed like 30 games in his career already. If we hitch our wagon to sam, we better be sure to bring in a viable backup.

Athos

Legend
Well, they can't not bring in another QB. Sam is our best chance at the playoffs by far but...

If Sam goes down again, it's another lost season. Guaranteed. Unless our D plays like the 2000 Ravens. Which, current rules make impossible.

So, you either gotta go Glennon/Foles/(Trade-up).

Or ride the boom/bust barrel of Hundley.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ok so we go with Bradford. That gets us say 4-6 games. Who starts the other 10-12 games?

And that's if Bradford makes it through preseason. All of us love Sam Bradford, but you have to have a better plan in place than you had the last two years. Let's hope Sam will have a nice stretch of health, but we study history so we are doomed to repeat it and in this case a viable option must be put in place so this regime is not doomed to repeat it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suppose there is some middle ground somewhere. You want to create competition for the QB job - but at some point, you have to decide whether you are spending starting QB resources on this new QB or backup QB resources. If we spend starting QB resources - regardless of whether those resources are $$ or draft picks (or both) then it is not likely that Sam is even here to compete for the gig.

As bad as the Sam Bradford era has been - how much worse would it be if he went on to be a top tier QB somewhere else?

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Doesn't matter if it's a new offensive system or not. Sam is absolutely our best option to start this year. We need to identify an upgrade at no. 2 (possible) and sign him. We need to draft a developmental quarterback (Petty, Greyson) that can maybe push Bradford year two.....or at least for the back up job. Me personally. .. I have not seen enough of Austin to determine if he is a solid no 2 or not...... sorry half a season as a starter is not enough. ....especially after he sat for a while and watched the offense play without him. I think his future with this team will be decided by the coaching staff and they're determination on Weather he is a finished product (as good as he can get) or weather they saw signs of growth and an ability to improve or has the chance to improve behind a better o-line. Also who ever the new offensive coordinator is may want his back up (someone who knows his system) to help him install his system.

Go Rams............ ;)

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I hope Sam stays healthy and kills it, but even if the Rams win the SB next season and extend Bradford, you must have a good enough No. 2 QB going forward, because you can't bank on Bradford staying healthy in 2016, 2017, etc. Now, if he goes 3 or 4 seasons completely healthy, then maybe you can risk have a lesser No. 2 QB, but by then you need to have young possible franchise QB(s) behind him anyway.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Sam needs to come back angry. Most Rams fans still like or love the guy just because of the person he is even tho we've gotten nothing out of him besides watching a few flashes of great potential and 3 unlucky injuries. So when I say angry I mean I want him back loud and in charge. Last year of contract he has nothing to lose so I want to see those bombs flying down field. I want that "fuck you" attitude "do or die", "there is no tmrw" attitude. it's time to do his best Aaron Rodgers impression. he's got the receivers he's got the running backs. for the love of God get some fucking competent linemen in front of him so he can get a decent 3-5 step drop and get this fucking offense firing!