I love this draft!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I see his point. Rams draft for positional fit, not draft board value. And given our track record, I'll take a low grade from some Yahoo any day.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I see his point. Rams draft for positional fit, not draft board value. And given our track record, I'll take a low grade from some Yahoo any day.
Hard to blow away “draft analysts” when we draft exclusively on day three… will take our SB victory over the kudos of an analyst

PARAM

Hall of Fame
These later round picks are mainly average depth that the coaches hope to develop. I can’t get too excited about it all. I like the Bruss pick a lot. The rest is just a wait and see for me.
This draft confirms what the consensus area of need by Ram fans was coming in.
CB/secondary help. We have quite the group for molding a good unit, especially with the trade for Hill. The two safeties have NFL pedigree and the two corners seem to both be slot guys. Was it "rebuild the secondary because we lost Miller and don't have good Edge rushers"? I don't think it has anything to do with it. Why?

OLB? There were edge players available every step of the way and they passed on them all, except for the kid from Montana St., late. If that were a pressing need they would have grabbed one.
TE? I guess this draft answers any of the questions about Blanton and Hopkins. TE's were available every step of the way and we passed each time. Hell, I thought we'd have grabbed one in the 6th or 7th as Wydermeyer and Fitzpatrick were available late.

Did we get a starting guard? For 2022? We'll see. We got a developmental T in the mix too, so our OL room is stocked.

I think the RB was a good pick. Probably why they traded up to get him. Not a burner but a tackle breaking runner, excellent receiver, who is fantastic in blitz pickup. I heard more raving about him than any of our picks.

Boring draft? I suppose but when you win the Superbowl and keep much of the roster intact, you don't need big splashes. These guys picked the perfect year to have traded away their first three picks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I want Mathieu.

But Fuller/Scott/Rapp/Burgess all played in our playoff run last year...so we wouldn't be relying on any of the guys we drafted today.
Bingo!

They brought in all these DB's because 4 of our current DB's are in the last yr of their contract. Long, Scott, Rapp, & Hill. So I doubt these rooks get on the field in the defense much, barring injuries, but they will be set up to contribute in 23' on D.

Smart drafting in not leaving themselves desperate next year for a position group.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Here's what Thor Nystrom of yahoo sports thinks of the Rams draft.

Los Angeles Rams: F​

The Rams made a show in the lead-up to the NFL Combine that they would not be sending their GM and head coach. During the team’s Super Bowl celebration, GM Les Snead wore a shirt reading “[Expletive] them picks.” The Rams have shown there is more than one way to skin a cat. But their lack of scouting effort stuck out like a sore thumb this weekend. This is a non-athletic class with almost zero upside – I see a lot of summer cuts.

I expect stuff like this. Some of it is practical. How can a team with no picks in the top-100 Ace-a-draft?

That's OK. However, in my opinion, the tone of the commentary shows disdain and some anger.

Nystrom has been around a while. His life is covering college players and evaluating their pro potential.
The Combine and the Draft are his professional life. And he's pretty good at it.

The Rams come along and do things differently. Very differently. In this case, with regard to how they value and use picks, value the Combine and look at measurables. It's the opposite of what the Old Guard "experts" (like Thor Nystrom) do and have done for decades.

And the Rams have had success! Guys like Nystrom are pissed-off. It's great!

It's the same with regard to how the Rams manage the cap, and trade-away first rounders. The veteran commentators and analysts on ESPN and the NFLN have been critical of the Rams' strategy. But it's working. Really Well!!! Some have given the Rams credit but most continue to be critical, although in a more passive aggressive manner. If they were more direct, someone would yell 'Hey Dick-head! They won the Super Bowl!'

One other thing, the NFL has been a Copy-Cat-League since I was a kid. Teams are starting to copy the Rams. Only half the teams had their own first round pick on Thursday night. Teams are making trades to win now. The Rams and their success, are a major reason. Not many of the commentators will say it because those guys ARE the Old Guard.

Man, I wrote a log post here. Could have just said what I initially thought ... Fuck Thor Nystrom!

Last edited:

dang

Legend

Here's what Thor Nystrom of yahoo sports thinks of the Rams draft.

Los Angeles Rams: F​

PickNamePosRankCompRASHTWT
3.104Logan BrussiOL15150Austin Corbett8.766050308
4.142Decobie DurantCB29209Buster Skrine5.145095183
5.164Kyren WilliamsRB18246Demetric Felton3.495092199
6.211Quentin LakeS22309Jordan Poyer6014199
6.212Derion KendrickCB25183Darius Phillips1.556001205
7.235Daniel HardyEDGE71N/A9.336017235
7.253Russ YeastS36455Bryce Torneden5.475100192
7.261AJ ArcuriOT41483Jay Humphrey6.976070308
The Rams made a show in the lead-up to the NFL Combine that they would not be sending their GM and head coach. During the team’s Super Bowl celebration, GM Les Snead wore a shirt reading “[Expletive] them picks.” The Rams have shown there is more than one way to skin a cat. But their lack of scouting effort stuck out like a sore thumb this weekend. This is a non-athletic class with almost zero upside – I see a lot of summer cuts.

Lost me at Kyren Williams as RB18.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't agree with that guys draft assessment because our goals are different than most teams. Most teams are looking for longshot saviors to make an. Immediate impact because that team has so many glaring holes. The Rams goals are to find backups or red shirts to mold for a year and not be pressed into immediate service when they make mistakes. There are so many examples of the Rams philosophy Hoedt, Howard, Noteboom etc and many more. This is winning football but all made possible by having a bunch of superstars all over the team.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah, many had Williams in the top 5 or 10 among RBs.
Williams ran poorly at the Combine; and a lot of these Old-Guard-guys rely on Combine-measurables.

The Rams do not.

Heck, the #1 overall-pick had a Brilliant Combine after OK production as a player

B-T-W, sixth round DBs Lake and Kendrick also ran poorly at the Combine. That's where I think this guy Nystrom is coming from when he writes: "their lack of scouting effort stuck out like a sore thumb this weekend. This is a non-athletic class with almost zero upside."

The Rams are committed to scouting. They just don't do it the way it has been traditionally done.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of the Kendrick pick.

Believe Bruss and Williams offer quality playing time year 1

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Plus when that 104 top pick is an OG - it makes our draft even more so looking less athletic and exciting. But we don’t need exciting from these picks. We need just solid players and depth guys. We had plenty of athletic/upside/exciting picks Last year

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't forget the Rams 1st and 2nd rd picks that went to bringing in Stafford and Miller.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Williams ran poorly at the Combine; and a lot of these Old-Guard-guys rely on Combine-measurables.

The Rams do not.

Heck, the #1 overall-pick had a Brilliant Combine after OK production as a player

B-T-W, sixth round DBs Lake and Kendrick also ran poorly at the Combine. That's where I think this guy Nystrom is coming from when he writes: "their lack of scouting effort stuck out like a sore thumb this weekend. This is a non-athletic class with almost zero upside."

The Rams are committed to scouting. They just don't do it the way it has been traditionally done.

I thought "their lack of scouting effort" was the funniest line in his whole miserable piece. He must have been one of those people that hated the draft trailer.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He must have been one of those people that hated the draft trailer.
... and the Rams trading two #1s for Ramsey, two #1s for Stafford and a #2 and #3 for Miller.

But what I am guessing he hated the most was the Rams winning the Super Bowl with that strategy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Right?

All those folks who LOVE Green Bay because they can't just go out and sign a ton of FAs as they are the only corporation in the NFL and as such don't stockpile hundreds of millions of dollars to put in escrow for these big FA contracts, they HATE how the Rams do business.

We grow home grown talent from late round picks, pay our stars and are willing to spend picks and pay top dollar for transcendent talent that other teams don't seem to want to.

Would ANY team give up two 1sts for a Super Bowl?

We did, but that completely screws over the notion that "the only way to consistently win is through the draft".

Well, 5 years in, 4 with Jared Goff who was good, but not great (and I was one of his biggest supporters during his time here) and we never had a losing record including the year we were BLASTED with injuries and went 9-7.

We've been to the Super Bowl in 2018 and 2021 (obv played in Feb of the next year).

Any program that gets you to 2 Super Bowls in 4 years with a win in one of them means something is going right.

The old school HATES what we're doing because we're changing the NFL and they no longer can gate keep the "Book of NFL Wisdom".

And I love every minute of it!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nystrom who? I think I'll be trusting our FO far before some draft guru I've heard of let alone some yahoo.

Yawn.