I know we’re 3-0 but......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think things will be tighter on Thursday. It felt like Shields didn't know what he was doing. He was doing a lot of running around pre-snap, as if he didn't know where he needed to be.

we can only hope. although it's not like the chargers were throwing all over the rams in the 2nd half.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And as long as Ficken continues to be unreliable, I'll complain about it.
He missed one fairly long fg in his first game back for Pete’s sake. He was shaky in his first game last year too before settling in and doing quite well for us. But I’m sure Santos is nails as you know more that McVay and Bones. :rolleyes:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
we can only hope. although it's not like the chargers were throwing all over the rams in the 2nd half.

What frustrated me was our inability to get stops on 3rd down and our poor run defense when they ran off-tackle and outside.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He missed one fairly long fg in his first game back for Pete’s sake. He was shaky in his first game last year too before settling in and doing quite well for us. But I’m sure Santos is nails as you know more that McVay and Bones. :rolleyes:

He missed a 46 yarder. And wasn't a guy we could trust last year. Santos is a career 84% kicker. He has a weak leg, but he's reliable enough. Why does Bones prefer Ficken? I don't know. I can venture a guess, and that's Bones likes kickers with bigger legs. However, when push comes to shove, I don't trust Ficken with the game on the line. I hope Greg comes back before we need Ficken in a tight game.

All the appeals to authority aren't doing it for me. Bones is brilliant, but even brilliant people can make a mistake. This is a football forum. I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive over a small amount of criticism of the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I also think things will be tighter on Thursday. It felt like Shields didn't know what he was doing. He was doing a lot of running around pre-snap, as if he didn't know where he needed to be.

I have a lot of faith that gets fixed.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
What frustrated me was our inability to get stops on 3rd down and our poor run defense when they ran off-tackle and outside.

I can’t discount the opponent.

With Luiget and Bosa back,I think this Chargers team can beat the Chiefs.

I’m also not sold on the Chiefs in the second half of the season. They started out on fire whooping New England in Foxborough, iirc and struggled down the stretch.

We beat a very good Chargers team today.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
my only problem with ficken was his kick off that went out of bounds. that gave the chargers good field position after the rams took an early lead and the chance for that long strike td. who knows if they would have got to that position if they started from their 25.

Meh... first game jitters. We’ve all seen JZ go through bad stretches. We’ve seen Hekker shank punts. I’m not comparing him to that level of player but it’s just comical that people think they can name the better kicker available while watching a starting kicker miss an extra point right in front of them and after watching numerous shitty kicks by other team’s starters.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well it seems no kicker is immune this year, so yeah.

After the day that Cleveland kicker had...and he was pretty good last year...as well as the Vikes and GB kickers...

I just need Ficken to hold down the fort.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He missed a 46 yarder. And wasn't a guy we could trust last year. Santos is a career 84% kicker. He has a weak leg, but he's reliable enough. Why does Bones prefer Ficken? I don't know. I can venture a guess, and that's Bones likes kickers with bigger legs. However, when push comes to shove, I don't trust Ficken with the game on the line. I hope Greg comes back before we need Ficken in a tight game.

All the appeals to authority aren't doing it for me. Bones is brilliant, but even brilliant people can make a mistake. This is a football forum. I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive over a small amount of criticism of the Rams.
I am not getting defensive except in that Ficken is a RAM and therefore he has my backing. But I find it absolutely hilarious that you think you know more about kickers than Bones. But have at it if you like pissing in the wind.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I am not getting defensive except in that Ficken is a RAM and therefore he has my backing. But I find it absolutely hilarious that you think you know more about kickers than Bones. But have at it if you like pissing in the wind.

Yeah, I noticed Ficken was really hammering those XPs when all he needed was a modest kick with some pop to get it out quick and over the DL.

XPs shouldn’t have so much on them that they break like curve balls. Just pop it up and take the easy kick.

Ficken’s kicks generate a lot of spin and because his strike doesn’t consistently release a neutral ball, he’s prone to some wicked hooks. A neutral ball spins end over end with no wobble.

GZ kicks like a mule, but also typically releases a neutral ball.

Hopefully Ficken will acquit himself well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

giphy.gif

I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't like pissing into the wind. ;)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just need Ficken to hold down the fort.

IMO, Rams can do better and quite frankly I believe they brought Ficken back because of familiarity, which breeds contempt.

I'm in agreement with @jrry32 Cairo Fernandes Santos would be a better option.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
"We will play good football and we will win with Sam Ficken!"

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, I noticed Ficken was really hammering those XPs when all he needed was a modest kick with some pop to get it out quick and over the DL.

XPs shouldn’t have so much on them that they break like curve balls. Just pop it up and take the easy kick.

Ficken’s kicks generate a lot of spin and because his strike doesn’t consistently release a neutral ball, he’s prone to some wicked hooks. A neutral ball spins end over end with no wobble.

GZ kicks like a mule, but also typically releases a neutral ball.

Hopefully Ficken will acquit himself well.
Hmmmm. It seems to me that there is generally a LOT of movement on GZ’s kicks and he also pounds the extra points.

All I’m saying is that Ficken will not be another GZ but is probably the best choice given the options. Otherwise, I highly doubt the Rams would have brought him back because they were lazy or couldn’t see that some other kicker was a better option.

I’m sorry but moreso than practically any other position, fans don’t know shit about kickers as NO ONE really pays much attention to them outside of looking up their stats.

I’m going with the idea - and I realize it’s a stretch - that Bones and even McVay looked at WAY more than stats. I’m also going to guess that they considered situations, ability to kick it deep, kicking off multiple surfaces, etc...

It’s just not plausible to me that the Rams didn’t consider other kickers. I suppose it’s possible but I don’t buy it.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Hmmmm. It seems to me that there is generally a LOT of movement on GZ’s kicks and he also pounds the extra points.

503 are you a golfer?

GZ hits a power fade.

Ball starts left and spins back to the right like a golfer's ball flight.

Good comparison would be Bubba Watson.

Big power, lots of spin and and curve.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
503 are you a golfer?

GZ hits a power fade.

Ball starts left and spins back to the right like a golfer's ball flight.

Good comparison would be Bubba Watson.

Big power, lots of spin and and curve.
Sorta. Mine only starts left if I aim that way. But it sure as hell “fades” right...... into the lumber yard.