I know we’re 3-0 but......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm more concerned with the Defense. For as much Salary $$ are tied up with in the D-line, they didn't really seem to make a big difference. Anyone else notice that ?

They're very good. But defensive players can be schemed around, especially with all the rule changes that favor the offense. They need a good edge rusher, so that if the OL plans around the three good to great DL, there is a guy rushing around the edge to nail the QB. But that takes resources.

There will be games where the Rams plan will work, but with a good edge rusher, it would already be leading to more sacks and to more turnovers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm more concerned with the Defense. For as much Salary $$ are tied up with in the D-line, they didn't really seem to make a big difference. Anyone else notice that ?

I thought they showed up a lot. Constantly in Rivers face and forcing him to get the ball out quick. They weren't chasing him out of the pocket every play. People seem to forget the Chargers don't give up very many sacks. Good QB's with respectable OLines will do that especially when the QB has a very fast release like Rivers does.

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought they showed up a lot. Constantly in Rivers face and forcing him to get the ball out quick. They weren't chasing him out of the pocket every play. People seem to forget the Chargers don't give up very many sacks. Good QB's with respectable OLines will do that especially when the QB has a very fast release like Rivers does.
Exactly.
Rivers has been hugely effective and has had no injuries to speak of because he gets rid of the ball. His quick release avoids a lot of sacks and hits. He sure isn't buying time by running. But, he can slide in the pocket and has a knack of finding his check down with great accuracy and regularity.

dang

Legend
DL is punching opponents right in the teeth on passing plays and holding their own in the running game. I believe Coach Phillips will get more creative with inside stunts and outside rushing as the season progresses but right now our outside pass rush is nor very disruptive.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rivers, is probably the quickest I've ever seen, as far as getting the ball out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I think the OP brings up a fair point though. A kicker has the ability to sink any team come playoff time. Rams are a slam dunk to get in, but when you start lookin at how far they'll get the kicker side of things is a big hit.

Aguayo would b a better option, but who am I to say...

I'm with you Steezy. Aguayo caved under the pressure in Tampa, but he also had a stellar collegiate career to include record setting performance so it's fair to say that under the right staff maybe he can put that behind him. I would rather have a guy who might be some kind of answer than a guy who I am certain isn't starter caliber.

And I don't want to get all negative here, but we do have some concerns beyond the above too. All teams do of course, but in particular the CB position has the ability to sideline this train before it even really gets rollin. So got my fingers crossed there. Our secondary was a damn mess when Peters went out, with Shields lookin like he was out of place. Hopefully that'll get rectified but holy crap.

Lastly the Chargers are a fine offense with a QB who's droppin dimes right now. So not to take anything away from them. But damn. I do have some concerns and hopefully things go our way on the MRI side of things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Rivers is a lot of things, to include a great QB. But quick release ain't one of them. Dude has a wind-up that causes him probs and did even when he was in the draft.

Again though, quality offense so we agree there. I think he made some plays vs our defense and that's gonna happen vs great players.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
For what it's worth, Ficken had a TD saving tackle on a kickoff and made all of his PATs. Last year he missed a FG in his first game but was ok after that so hopefully he seven settles down. I will say that I hope we don't have a game that comes down to a 46 yard FG, especially when we are likely to be in a battle for home field advantage and a first round playoff bye.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So he misses a 46 yard fg (not by much) hits 5/5 PATs and he is a big problem? Meh. Ficken will be fine.

I’d be more worried about injuries to big time starters.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I'll stick with Ficken, for now.

As for some of the other suspects . . .

The Rams already gave Aguayo a shot in last year's mid-season kicker auditions. The Rams chose Ficken over Aguayo and the others.

John Dorsey found Cairo Santos with the Chiefs, right? Dorsey's now GM of the Browns. The Browns auditioned new kickers last week, including Santos. Dorsey and the Browns went in another direction. Now, Ram fans want someone the Browns didn't? Also Santos missed games in 2017 with lingering groin issues, got groin surgery around May 2018 and was cut by the Jets in August 2018 because he still wasn't healthy enough to kick. There's something about an injury plagued kicker that the Browns didn't want that doesn't sound too appealing to me. But, I'm not a medical doctor and YMMV.

Funniest name in this thread has to be Blair Walsh. Dude was never the same after missing that playoff kick. I remember last year he was all alone, practicing kicks during the half time show, and missing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSWTFtjZKw

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put that guy on a good coaching staff see what happens...

Aguayo was very overrated coming out of college, and his confidence got absolutely shattered as a rookie. His mechanics went to crap, and he hasn't been able to fix it. He's not someone who can be trusted.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rivers is a lot of things, to include a great QB. But quick release ain't one of them. Dude has a wind-up that causes him probs and did even when he was in the draft.

Again though, quality offense so we agree there. I think he made some plays vs our defense and that's gonna happen vs great players.

Rivers has a very quick release. His questions in the draft were because he has a very unorthodox motion. He looks like he's shot-putting the ball side armed. But it's a very quick release.

TexasRam

Legend
We really have to things that must be addressed before playoffs:

1 Kicker - If GZ doesn't make it back

2 Edge Pass Rush

Rainram

Starter
For those saying edge pass rush is a major issue...

First of all...I agree it’s an issue

Second...We can’t have all-stars everywhere. We chose to invest in our interior DLine, CBs, and a ton on offense. I’ll trust Wade to make adjustments and scheme with the players we have to be successful.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man, on so many occasions i thought they were gonna get to him but he just got the ball away in time and most of the time a perfect strike to a receiver. i like watching great matchups like that. i thought the d played great seeing they lost both their starting corners.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
man, on so many occasions i thought they were gonna get to him but he just got the ball away in time and most of the time a perfect strike to a receiver. i like watching great matchups like that. i thought the d played great seeing they lost both their starting corners.

I also think things will be tighter on Thursday. It felt like Shields didn't know what he was doing. He was doing a lot of running around pre-snap, as if he didn't know where he needed to be.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he misses a 46 yard fg (not by much) hits 5/5 PATs and he is a big problem? Meh. Ficken will be fine.

I’d be more worried about injuries to big time starters.

my only problem with ficken was his kick off that went out of bounds. that gave the chargers good field position after the rams took an early lead and the chance for that long strike td. who knows if they would have got to that position if they started from their 25.