I hope Les and Sean have learned

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but I don't think you can convince any sane person that Maher is not better than Havrishank.

In fact, I cannot think of a kicker in my lifetime that isn't better than Havrishank.
Preach! ~ Sam Finken

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
What we will never know, but what I hope was not the case, was if Dicker was showing out in practice like he is today for the Chargers, when he was a Ram (that is, being automatic and with good range).

If so, no way we should have let him go. You find a way to hold onto him even if it means rostering two Ks for a season or two until he takes over for Gay who obviously was going to command some cap space at contract renewal time.

I would like to think Dicker the Kicker, as a young guy, improved since leaving the Rams. It is very plausible and that is what I tell myself to live with the situation contently. Sometimes a guy gets away.

But given how this staff seems to undervalue special teams, poorly evaluate kicking talent, and just have a huge blind spot to the K position as a whole... I am not so sure Dicker was not an obvious star in the waiting right under our noses on a cheap rookie contract to boot, and McVay/Snead were asleep at the wheel.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Giants thought Mason Crosby would solve that position for them. His PAT miss was the difference. And that miss at the end looked ugly. Shows that by this time of year decent kickers are nowhere to be had. We're stuck with Havrisik.
It is hard for the Giants to argue that Crosby's missed PAT was the difference in this game when his counterpart for the Rams missed 2 PATs... at best, the poor kicking in this game cancelled out. But really, it was more damaging to the Rams than the Giants IMO. Especially as Crosby's missed FG was from distance (53 yards I think?) in windy conditions. Hardly automatic for any kicker, and Crosby's strength has never been range. I agree with the announcer that it looked like the wind just took it sharply off course as it approached the uprights. In a dome, I think Crosby's kick makes it through, imagine what we would be saying today if that happened. :O

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't expect major philosophical changes.
Linebacker is behind Edge, Corner, DL and Safety in my priorities on D, alone. But, I would probably draft one in the mid-rounds this year, if I picked up enough picks trading back.
The Rams have a second LB on the field about 60% of the time.. so, don't throw too much at that.

They *need* 2 corners.. a safety.. at least one edge.. and at least one more DL.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Robbie Gould. Randy Bullock. Ryan Succop. Zane Gonzalez. Not sure if all of these guys are still available but they were earlier in the year. All have warts, and some are older to boot, but all would be huge upgrades for us over Havrisik IMO. The kid cannot even make PATs reliably right now - mentally, I suspect he is toast.

If we want a mentally broken kicker, do a 180 and take Maher back. I think even he would be an upgrade right now.

Rams need to make a move at kicker ASAP. Get him in here with time before the playoffs.

Still blows my mind we let Patterson go to the Browns.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Robbie Gould. Randy Bullock. Ryan Succop. Zane Gonzalez. Not sure if all of these guys are still available but they were earlier in the year. All have warts, and some are older to boot, but all would be huge upgrades for us over Havrisik IMO. The kid cannot even make PATs reliably right now - mentally, I suspect he is toast.

If we want a mentally broken kicker, do a 180 and take Maher back. I think even he would be an upgrade right now.

Rams need to make a move at kicker ASAP. Get him in here with time before the playoffs.

Still blows my mind we let Patterson go to the Browns.
Bullock is with the Giants ... was injured and placed on IR. That's when they signed Mason Crosby.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
Amazing all the athletes in the world and there seems to always be a need for good field goal kickers.
It's not a secret in sports yet It doesn't seem like enough aspire for the profession. I would love to be a field goal kicker if I had the ability. Hard to believe enough people don't. Go rams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah, I hope Les and Sean have learned that when you have another kicker like Gay you fucking pay the man and keep him. PKs win and lose games. IMO PKers are worth 2 maybe 3 wins or losses a year. Use a fucking mid-round pick if you have to, but get a quality guy.

Time to call Robbie Gould the guy I thought they would consider. Sure he's not going to make 50+ yd FGs anymore, but extra points and kicks under 45 yds should be money for him. This would have been a different game with just a decent, not even great kicker. McVay is too hung up on 50+ yd FGs. Just get a guy that will be money from 45 yards in. They could live with that. Besides he would love to win a game against the Niners!
Maybe if they keep Gay they can't sign Robinson & Witherspoon and they are 7-9 instead of 9-7.

There were repercussions to keeping Gay.

tempests

Hall of Fame
All I know is that I miss the deep in my gut confidence when Greg the Leg lined up to kick that long assed FG vs New Orleans in the NFCCG. He was streaky at times too, but he could be clutch as hell. I haven't really felt that way since he left and that includes with Matt Gay.
Agreed that with McQuaide as the snapper, Johnny as the holder and young GZ kicking, we had the best special team unit in football. Those three guys all went to the Pro Bowl the same season.

I still marvel at Zeurlein's composure in that Saints game. In that atmosphere and with the Super Bowl on the line, game winning kick was never in doubt.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agreed that with McQuaide as the snapper, Johnny as the holder and young GZ kicking, we had the best special team unit in football. Those three guys all went to the Pro Bowl the same season.

I still marvel at Zeurlein's composure in that Saints game. In that atmosphere and with the Super Bowl on the line, game winning kick was never in doubt.
That kick would have been good from 70, easy. That sucker hit the middle/top of the net from 57!!