Hypothetical game - if redskins drafted at #2 this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

what would we do at 2?

• draft clowney

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • trade it down to highest bidder

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • draft someone else

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Hypothetical game - if redskins drafted at #2 this year.

BonifayRam said:
This 2013 Ram team has displayed four big weaknesses in our team in preseason & 3 regular games. On Offense...Poor run blocking & no hands receivers. On defense softest pass defense seen in decades & lack of pass rush from the DL. Looks like many more very good building blocks are needed for this team to be a playoff contention.

Ram still need lots of talent yet. If Jadeveon Clowney was here today where you going to play him? who are you going to bench?

I'd rotate him in a lot right now with Long's hip injury , and definitely have him in there on passing downs as well as subbing for quinn and long.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

iced said:
Right, which is completely different from those other teams. Their tackles' contracts are almost up, Long just signed one. It wouldn't make sense to take one so high so early, especially with our needs.

I'm personally looking at Safety/Corner right now, hell maybe even another receiver or running back

If you won't take one of the top tackles, what do you do at RT?

Resign Saffold? Trust Barksdale? We could have two amazing tackles if we invested early picks in the draft.

Look at what that has done for San Fran's O-line.

iced

ChrisW said:
iced said:
Right, which is completely different from those other teams. Their tackles' contracts are almost up, Long just signed one. It wouldn't make sense to take one so high so early, especially with our needs.

I'm personally looking at Safety/Corner right now, hell maybe even another receiver or running back

Resign Saffold? Trust Barksdale? We could have two amazing tackles if we invested early picks in the draft.

san Fran's o-line looks terrible lol...

And I'd be looking at Free agency - Eric Winston looks very solid despite lasting til almost regular season..

Or one of the other 7 rounds throughout the draft... You don't have to draft a RT in round 1 to get a starter - there are many avenues.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

iced said:
BonifayRam said:
This 2013 Ram team has displayed four big weaknesses in our team in preseason & 3 regular games. On Offense...Poor run blocking & no hands receivers. On defense softest pass defense seen in decades & lack of pass rush from the DL. Looks like many more very good building blocks are needed for this team to be a playoff contention.

Ram still need lots of talent yet. If Jadeveon Clowney was here today where you going to play him? who are you going to bench?

I'd rotate him in a lot right now with Long's hip injury , and definitely have him in there on passing downs as well as subbing for quinn and long.

Me too with my main DL'er out Hayes & Long playing lame & not effective in his pass rush and RDE Quinn still playing very weak against the outside containment makes best sense to get him all the action he can stand on the outside. So guess the point is we can use him even now & merits consideration even against my own posts to trade out.

iced

BonifayRam said:
iced said:
BonifayRam said:

Me too with my main DL'er out Hayes & Long playing lame & not effective in his pass rush and RDE Quinn still playing very weak against the outside containment makes best sense to get him all the action he can stand on the outside. So guess the point is we can use him even now & merits consideration even against my own posts to trade out.

Exactly, especially if he's such a rare player....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

ChrisW said:
iced said:

I have a very high opinion of the 9er OL. I still consider it one of the better OL's in the NFL but The Seahawks are there too. Last Sunday ORT Barksdale graded out much better than Williams, Long & Dahl.

I will watch the entire game looking at the right side of the OL either tonight or Wednesday & I will get back. Ram will have to address the OT somewhere in the 2014 draft. Current OT candidates of Max Starks, Mike Persons, Brandon Washington & Sean Hooey sure do not give me a real good feel about their future @ ORT. Boudreau could refurbish the damaged knee slow ex starting Left OT Max Starks for the swing OT role if ORT Barksdale improves his pass protection on speed rushers.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame

Has anyone on this board actually watched Clowney play THIS year? I've seen two of his games and he scares me to death. He takes WAY too many plays off, and is clearly not in shape. Has all the hype gone to his head? He sure hasn't looked like a top ten pick to me. RISKY!!

You take a guy in the top 5 in next year's draft, which is going to be LOADED, you shouldn't have ANY questions about the guy.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

iced lamenting the fact we didn't draft Glenn Dorsey:
Train - clowney has been one of the most dominant defensive ends to come out in football..lot of people calling once a decade player..wonder if his dominance was on par on Lawrence taylor in college

I'm not fooled by rhetoric anymore. I don'rt know who I want to draft yet cause my head is still in this season but are we going to draft a part time player with the #2 pick? Do we sit Long, Quinn or Hayes when Clowney is in?

V3

Hall of Fame

iced said:
V3 said:
I'm fine with that to a point. I don't want another instance of the Pead trade where they got cute and thought they could just keep acquiring picks but then lost out on the good players (Wagner, Kendricks).

Lol I understand you don't like the Pead Pick but that wasn't getting cute - Pead went around where he was expected to go.. Not that means anything really, because clearly the media mock drafts aren't nearly as accurate as real NFL boards.

But Pead had been projected as a 2nd round pick

Everything I read about him had him as a 3rd round pick. When I watched him, I also thought he was a 3rd round pick. I didn't like the pick at the time. But that's really besides the point because the Rams said after the draft they were trying to get one of those LB's. They didn't think the both would go by the time they picked. They were wrong. I actually wanted them to take Lavonte David at that point but they didn't. This isn't a hindsight thing with me. I never liked the pick and when you read things right after the draft where they said they were trying for one of those LB's and they failed, it reeks of cuteness.

iced

V3 said:
This isn't a hindsight thing with me. I never liked the pick and when you read things right after the draft where they said they were trying for one of those LB's and they failed, it reeks of cuteness.

Not really - everyone sets up a board and they try to predict where other teams are going to pick.

And if you recall, a lot of teams over the past 4 or 5 years have had a habit of taking a backup rb we really wanted....I've read a lot of places pegging him 2/3 rounds..

But hey, no draft is exact science..

I remember predicting Jimmy Clausen would fall to the 2nd round - you shoulda seen how many people jumped my case for that..

^ But that's my point, NFL draft boards and media boards are seldom the same. The only predraft expert I like is Mayock, and he has a pretty good knack for getting picks correct

And part of me does want to speculate on the hindsightness - because I wonder what your opinion would be right now if Richardson had been cut instead of what some are dubbing "a gem"

V3

Hall of Fame

iced said:
V3 said:
This isn't a hindsight thing with me. I never liked the pick and when you read things right after the draft where they said they were trying for one of those LB's and they failed, it reeks of cuteness.

Not really - everyone sets up a board and they try to predict where other teams are going to pick.

And if you recall, a lot of teams over the past 4 or 5 years have had a habit of taking a backup rb we really wanted....I've read a lot of places pegging him 2/3 rounds..

But hey, no draft is exact science..

I remember predicting Jimmy Clausen would fall to the 2nd round - you shoulda seen how many people jumped my case for that..

^ But that's my point, NFL draft boards and media boards are seldom the same. The only predraft expert I like is Mayock, and he has a pretty good knack for getting picks correct

And part of me does want to speculate on the hindsightness - because I wonder what your opinion would be right now if Richardson had been cut instead of what some are dubbing "a gem"

I wouldn't call him a gem. I'd call him a very nice pick for where he was taken. Gems are good starters. He's shown he's not a feature back and he's not very good at pass protection. When Richardson was picked, I was fine with it. And I really don't get why you're asking about if he was cut? Why would he have been cut? He showed early on he was a better RB than Pead so why would the Rams have cut him last year? It's not like there was a bunch of competition. They wouldn't have cut him this year either so I don't understand what you're getting at. I also don't get worked up about picks in the 5th round and later.

By hindsight, I'm talking about my thoughts on Pead BEFORE the draft. I wasn't that big on him and when I saw the Rams took him in the 2nd, I was upset. I was upset at the Quick pick and the Brockers pick as well. They may turn out to be great picks. I'm just telling you what I thought at the time. It's not hindsight if you think a certain way before it happens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I am normally not a fan of trading down from the "blue chip" selections (typically 1-6)...

But; if you can fleece a team for picks you got to do it. So, I voted trade the pick.

Look at what the RG3 deal has done (so far) for this franchise! I don't think Clowney brings that kind of yield via trade, but it could be substantial.

And like others have said; it could be Bridgewater we're talking about. He would bring a bigger bounty.

ramsrams

UDFA

I'd trade it for an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

I like the already mentioned RT's and Guards for the OL

On D I like a tall rangy CB to neutralize the fitzgerald and jones's of the world that have just to much size and skill in the air.

this fits the bill Loucheiz Purifoy*, CB, Florida

Some Linebacker depth would be good
I love
Anthony Barr, UCLA Bruins
and CJ Mosley, Alabama, OLB
and pending development of Mcleod a top notch safety could be nice
Ed Reynolds, Stanford
Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama
I would leave the DL alone and pass on Clowney to aquire a surplus of picks

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'd be fine with taking Clowney if he's the BPA. I think we are really getting to that point talent wise.

I'd also be fine with taking a tackle with our first. I don't care if he is brought in to take right tackle at first. Long will need replacing in ??? years. Get a stud tackle to take the right side if he is capable of playing LT in the future. Next season take another one.

I'm not sure if it's that there is more movement along the LOS now but it seems linemen are dropping like flies. Don't expect another Jackie Slater any time soon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Anybody think we could stand Quinn up and let Clowney take his position? I think Quinn would be a good OLB in a 3-4 defense, and maybe even a good one in a 4-3. I know it's not the same, but Leonard Little started out as a linebacker before he settled in as a defensive end. Same thing, only different.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
Anybody think we could stand Quinn up and let Clowney take his position? I think Quinn would be a good OLB in a 3-4 defense, and maybe even a good one in a 4-3. I know it's not the same, but Leonard Little started out as a linebacker before he settled in as a defensive end. Same thing, only different.

Wondered the same about Selvie when he was here. Don't know why Quinn wouldn't be a beast at OLB. No back pedal?

WvuIN02

Starter

If any of you read the recent SI.com mock for the Rams, they had them with the 6th pick from the Skins and taking Jake Matthews.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Rodger Saffold is a pending free agent and, more to the point, he has been unable to stay healthy over the past three seasons. Matthews could drop right in at right tackle for a couple years, then slide over to left tackle when Jake Long’s St. Louis days are up.

Matthews is cousins to Clay and Jake's dad is Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews who played forever with the Oilers as one of the best OL in the NFL. Talk about bloodlines. Instant plug and play and takes over at LT eventually.

If you have the #2 pick which seems silly to me (do you really think the Skins suck worse than the Jags and Browns?) you have the option for Bridgewater if Bradford doesnt seem like the franchise QB he was drafted to be. Trading Long and getting Clowney if the Jags take Bridgewater is an option too, but it seems like there would be too much of a clog at DE to have all three.

iced

V3 said:
I wouldn't call him a gem. I'd call him a very nice pick for where he was taken. Gems are good starters. He's shown he's not a feature back and he's not very good at pass protection. When Richardson was picked, I was fine with it. And I really don't get why you're asking about if he was cut? Why would he have been cut? He showed early on he was a better RB than Pead so why would the Rams have cut him last year? It's not like there was a bunch of competition. They wouldn't have cut him this year either so I don't understand what you're getting at. I also don't get worked up about picks in the 5th round and later.

I was being hypothetical - saying a what if the 7th rounder didn't end up being as good as he is

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl

V3 said:
I'd be fine with taking Clowney but I'd rather take a DB- be it S or CB.
If we trade out of the number two pick, we can have our cake and eat it.

Get both HaHa and the best CB in this class (I haven't had a good look at that position yet) and our secondary is set for years to come.

We could then draft OL in rounds two and three (right tackle and guard) and still have future extra first-round picks from the Clowney trade to address replacements for Jake Long and Kendall Langford: hypothetically, we could go DT and RB in round one in 2015 and LT and WR with our two 2016 firsts.

So, were it up to me, I'd definitely offer the number two selection up to the highest bidder.