Hypothetical game - if redskins drafted at #2 this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

what would we do at 2?

• draft clowney

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • trade it down to highest bidder

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • draft someone else

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

iced

Do you think we'd take Clowney if he's there, since he's such a rare player? or is this another one of those "getting a ransom" for a trade scenario?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Hypothetical game - if redskins drafted at #2 this year.

I'd take Clowney and never look back.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I'm trading it. Not necessarily to the highest bidder though. I'm moving back at most 3 spots to take a top tackle, and then I wave good bye to Saffold with a smile on my face.

That trade back has to net us what? 2 1's and a 2nd? I'm taking a guard with the second.

Offensive line needs to be our priority this offseason. Finish what we started by signing Long.

jap

Legend

I wasn't wishing any ill will to RGIII. However, his coach's decision to not shut him down earlier last year has come back to haunt this franchise. If we end up in a position to take Clowney, then we just gotta thank Danny Snider's boys . . . again! :lol:

nighttrain

Legend

iced said:
Do you think we'd take Clowney if he's there, since he's such a rare player? or is this another one of those "getting a ransom" for a trade scenario?
i've heard his name mentioned alot, but cant remember all. help
train

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisW said:
I'm trading it. Not necessarily to the highest bidder though. I'm moving back at most 3 spots to take a top tackle, and then I wave good bye to Saffold with a smile on my face.

That trade back has to net us what? 2 1's and a 2nd? I'm taking a guard with the second.

Offensive line needs to be our priority this offseason. Finish what we started by signing Long.

top 5 pick spent on a RT? eek

Train - clowney has been one of the most dominant defensive ends to come out in football..lot of people calling once a decade player..wonder if his dominance was on par on Lawrence taylor in college

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would go for another trade down like what we did on RG3. I like the ideal of flooding the Ram roster with top level talent for a few more years sure looks like we need additional help.

Teams who need a pass rusher like Jadeveon Clowney a 6-5 270 pound speed rusher. Rams have five DE's under contract until 2015. Clowney's foot problem will require surgery after this season ends. If you draft Clowney then you are looking to release Chris Long & his $$$ 60 million plus contract or not considering an offer to Robert Quinn for an extension in 2015.

I am leaning towards an OT & CB myself with the draft picks we have currently. If the Rams were to be able to land in the top 10 they could use OT James Matthews who can play both right or left OT but Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Kouandjio & Antonio Richardson will do just fine with a trade down. Or one of those two top corners in Bradley Roby or Jason Verrell types is enticing too.

If you draft an OT in the top ten to fill Saffold's post it will be with the plan to swing him to Jake Long's post when he is hurt or gone.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

BonifayRam said:
I would go for another trade down like what we did on RG3. I like the ideal of flooding the Ram roster with top level talent for a few more years sure looks like we need additional help.

Teams who need a pass rusher like Jadeveon Clowney a 6-5 270 pound speed rusher. Rams have five DE's under contract until 2015. Clowney's foot problem will require surgery after this season ends. If you draft Clowney then you are looking to release Chris Long & his $$$ 60 million plus contract or not offer Robert Quinn an extension in 2015.

I am leaning towards an OT & CB myself. Rams could use OT James Matthews who can play both right or left OT but Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Kouandjio & Antonio Richardson will do just fine with a trade down. Or one of those two top corners in Bradley Roby or Jason Verrell types
It's okay we'll just have Chris Long change to DT and play next to Brockers as that tweener guy than have Clowney and Quinn on the edge, see no biggie. :razzed:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

iced said:
ChrisW said:

Train - clowney has been one of the most dominant defensive ends to come out in football..lot of people calling once a decade player..wonder if his dominance was on par on Lawrence taylor in college

Don't like a top pick to play RT?

Where are all 3 of the top tackle prospects from last year playing? I'm thinkin' it's RT.

iced

ChrisW said:
iced said:
ChrisW said:

Where are all 3 of the top tackle prospects from last year playing? I'm thinkin' it's RT.

And I'm pretty sure they're all set to be future replacements at LT..

Brandon Albert - Signed a franchise tag, gone in the off season I bet if not traded. Also 28 y/o

Jason Peters - tore his achilles the year before and missed a whole year. Also 31 y/o, signed through the 2014 season.

Next year's draft is supposed to be a very, very good one, supposedly

Also, both Fisher and Joekel were in a draft where the Lineman were the best prospects and there was not a whole lot of "wow talent" at the top

You're talking about a draft with no top rated QB and there wasn't a first round running back either

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

ChrisW said:

You have some merit on the ideal of using a top 10 on a ORT. But those teams all needed ORT's on their teams there were no good ORT's in last yrs draft. DJ Fluker was the one that went way to high now look at what the Chargers have. Those teams that drafted Fisher. Joechel & Johnson all needed RIGHT OT's. Those starting LEFT OT filled those teams needs @ RIGHT OT.

I would guess here that both Joechel & Fisher will start soon @ OLT for their teams. Both have played poorly @ ORT cause they have never played ORT before. Imagine that. Rams sure could use Bradley Roby in our secondary in the near future to go with Trumaine & JJ!

nighttrain

Legend

iced said:
ChrisW said:

thanks iced i remember now where i've read that, but do we really need a DE?
train

V3

Hall of Fame

If the Skins are #2, then that means one of the other QB desperate teams are right below them in the draft. The #1 pick will go to the Jags most likely and they'll take a QB(most likely Bridgewater). That means teams like the Browns, Cardinals, Raiders, etc are going to be fighting over the chance to take the second rated QB in the draft (looking like Boyd). The best option would be to trade with one of these QB starved teams and STILL take Clowney.

You just have to hope there are more than just one good QB in this draft class that teams will want to trade up for. Otherwise you're just going to be trading Clowney to the highest bidder and you won't get as much of a return and you'll probably be moving further down.

Either way, I'm moving down because we need a CB in the worst way. I can't take another year of Finnegan. A ball hawking safety is also an option.

V3

Hall of Fame

nighttrain said:
iced said:
ChrisW said:

thanks iced i remember now where i've read that, but do we really need a DE?
train

We definitely have higher needs but Clowney is one of the best DE prospects I've seen in a while. Long is a bit overrated by fans but he does a decent enough job. I'd be fine with taking Clowney but I'd rather take a DB- be it S or CB.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

iced said:
ChrisW said:
iced said:
ChrisW said:

And I'm pretty sure they're all set to be future replacements at LT..

Brandon Albert - Signed a franchise tag, gone in the off season I bet if not traded. Also 28 y/o

Jason Peters - tore his achilles the year before and missed a whole year. Also 31 y/o, signed through the 2014 season.

Next year's draft is supposed to be a very, very good one, supposedly

Also, both Fisher and Joekel were in a draft where the Lineman were the best prospects and there was not a whole lot of "wow talent" at the top

You're talking about a draft with no top rated QB and there wasn't a first round running back either

Taking a Tackle that high would imply that we would groom him to take over for Long, but I should have specified that. My fault.

I realize there wasn't a whole lot of top end skill players this past year, but we have plenty of young play makers that need a year or 2 to grow.

We need Clowney about as much as we needed RGknee. QB and D-line are our best positions on the team. Everything else is up in the air. Our offense benefits the most at this point from upgrading at the point of attack, so we can have a running game, and set up our play action pass.

iced

V3 said:
If the Skins are #2, then that means one of the other QB desperate teams are right below them in the draft. The #1 pick will go to the Jags most likely and they'll take a QB(most likely Bridgewater). That means teams like the Browns, Cardinals, Raiders, etc are going to be fighting over the chance to take the second rated QB in the draft (looking like Boyd). The best option would be to trade with one of these QB starved teams and STILL take Clowney.

You just have to hope there are more than just one good QB in this draft class that teams will want to trade up for. Otherwise you're just going to be trading Clowney to the highest bidder and you won't get as much of a return and you'll probably be moving further down.

Either way, I'm moving down because we need a CB in the worst way. I can't take another year of Finnegan. A ball hawking safety is also an option.

actually, i would keep trading down for the bidders for the spot - not necessarily just for clowney.

Cause if you think about it - people are bidding for that pick, not necessarily the player in a sense (well from our perspective, we don't know who wants everyone..I could see some teams go QB OR Clowney).

If we traded down only a few spots, I could see this being a repeat of the RG3 trade - just constantly trading down til we get somewhere we like.

Taking a Tackle that high would imply that we would groom him to take over for Long, but I should have specified that. My fault.

I realize there wasn't a whole lot of top end skill players this past year, but we have plenty of young play makers that need a year or 2 to grow.

We need Clowney about as much as we needed RGknee. QB and D-line are our best positions on the team. Everything else is up in the air. Our offense benefits the most at this point from upgrading at the point of attack, so we can have a running game, and set up our play action pass.

Right, which is completely different from those other teams. Their tackles' contracts are almost up, Long just signed one. It wouldn't make sense to take one so high so early, especially with our needs.

I'm personally looking at Safety/Corner right now, hell maybe even another receiver or running back

V3

Hall of Fame

iced said:
V3 said:

actually, i would keep trading down for the bidders for the spot - not necessarily just for clowney.

Cause if you think about it - people are bidding for that pick, not necessarily the player in a sense (well from our perspective, we don't know who wants everyone..I could see some teams go QB OR Clowney).

If we traded down only a few spots, I could see this being a repeat of the RG3 trade - just constantly trading down til we get somewhere we like.

Right, which is completely different from those other teams. Their tackles' contracts are almost up, Long just signed one. It wouldn't make sense to take one so high so early, especially with our needs.

I'm personally looking at Safety/Corner right now, hell maybe even another receiver or running back

I'm fine with that to a point. I don't want another instance of the Pead trade where they got cute and thought they could just keep acquiring picks but then lost out on the good players (Wagner, Kendricks).

iced

V3 said:
I'm fine with that to a point. I don't want another instance of the Pead trade where they got cute and thought they could just keep acquiring picks but then lost out on the good players (Wagner, Kendricks).

Lol I understand you don't like the Pead Pick but that wasn't getting cute - Pead went around where he was expected to go.. Not that means anything really, because clearly the media mock drafts aren't nearly as accurate as real NFL boards.

But Pead had been projected as a 2nd round pick

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

This 2013 Ram team has displayed four big weaknesses in our team in preseason & 3 regular games. On Offense...Poor run blocking & no hands receivers. On defense softest pass defense seen in decades & lack of pass rush from the DL. Looks like many more very good building blocks are needed for this team to be a playoff contention.

Ram still need lots of talent yet. If Jadeveon Clowney was here today where you going to play him? who are you going to bench?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Might sound a little cut throat but here goes.

Take Clowney, cut or trade C. Long and use his cap dollars to upgrade other positions.

Or even more drastic draft Bridgewater trade Bradford, use what picks we get to upgrade the talent and the enormous amount of cap dollars we would save the next 5 years we could blue chip many positions. This isn't as unrealistic as you think. Couple more years we franchise Bradford and he's 20+ mil for that year. Franchise him another and its 30+ mil. 100 mil long term.

If there was a very special LT I might take him. More likely trade down a little and take a LT for the future letting him play RT for a year. Then move J. Long to RT or show him the door. He's no longer elite and isn't going to get better by age.

IMO a lot of the recent picks are just going to be decent players some of them even Jag's. So what we need is exceptional players.

It's not about man crushes on certain players it's about WINING GAMES.