Hypothetical game - if redskins drafted at #2 this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

what would we do at 2?

• draft clowney

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • trade it down to highest bidder

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • draft someone else

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Re: Hypothetical game - if redskins drafted at #2 this year.

RamFan503 said:
I'd be fine with taking Clowney if he's the BPA. I think we are really getting to that point talent wise.

I'd also be fine with taking a tackle with our first. I don't care if he is brought in to take right tackle at first. Long will need replacing in ??? years. Get a stud tackle to take the right side if he is capable of playing LT in the future. Next season take another one.

I'm not sure if it's that there is more movement along the LOS now but it seems linemen are dropping like flies. Don't expect another Jackie Slater any time soon.
I pretty much agree with this. If we could get someone like Lewan or Matthews and let them play RT for a couple of years before moving to the left side that would be great. We can keep Jake Long over at LT until his contract is up or if he is no longer as effective. Then we insert whoever we drafted to take over.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

brokeu91 said:
RamFan503 said:
I'd be fine with taking Clowney if he's the BPA. I think we are really getting to that point talent wise.

I'd also be fine with taking a tackle with our first. I don't care if he is brought in to take right tackle at first. Long will need replacing in ??? years. Get a stud tackle to take the right side if he is capable of playing LT in the future. Next season take another one.

I'm not sure if it's that there is more movement along the LOS now but it seems linemen are dropping like flies. Don't expect another Jackie Slater any time soon.
I pretty much agree with this. If we could get someone like Lewan or Matthews and let them play RT for a couple of years before moving to the left side that would be great. We can keep Jake Long over at LT until his contract is up or if he is no longer as effective. Then we insert whoever we drafted to take over.

Not to mention it's a pretty damn good way to have two pretty damn good book ends to our line. All while replacing one of the biggest injury pieces of our team.

nighttrain

Legend

WvuIN02 said:
If any of you read the recent SI.com mock for the Rams, they had them with the 6th pick from the Skins and taking Jake Matthews.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Rodger Saffold is a pending free agent and, more to the point, he has been unable to stay healthy over the past three seasons. Matthews could drop right in at right tackle for a couple years, then slide over to left tackle when Jake Long’s St. Louis days are up.

Matthews is cousins to Clay and Jake's dad is Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews who played forever with the Oilers as one of the best OL in the NFL. Talk about bloodlines. Instant plug and play and takes over at LT eventually.

If you have the #2 pick which seems silly to me (do you really think the Skins suck worse than the Jags and Browns?) you have the option for Bridgewater if Bradford doesnt seem like the franchise QB he was drafted to be. Trading Long and getting Clowney if the Jags take Bridgewater is an option too, but it seems like there would be too much of a clog at DE to have all three.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
probably the most realistic scenario, and a pretty good one :plus1:
train

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Easy. I'd trade out of the pick. Clowney's talented for sure, but I'm starting to really question his motivation, and we don't need yet another defensive end at the moment. And we have even less of a need for a starting quarterback right now, so we'll have bidders for Tajh Boyd- and maybe Teddy Bridgewater if Jacksonville goes with Clowney - as well. We could very well have another bounty on our hands. Remember: the Browns have two first round picks, they are in dire need of a quarterback, and they have a GM who's desperate for one.

tonyl711

Starter

how many once in a decade athletes have we heard about the last 5 years or so? and how many actually are as good as advertised? think Dorsey or Ghoulston or even Suh to some degree.
I would trade but only if we get a first and second this year and at least a first next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

tonyl711 said:
how many once in a decade athletes have we heard about the last 5 years or so? and how many actually are as good as advertised? think Dorsey or Ghoulston or even Suh to some degree.
I would trade but only if we get a first and second this year and at least a first next year.

Aaron Curry too.

Maybe not labeled "once in a decade"... but definitely branded as "can't miss".