How long will Mcvay be our Coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How long will Mcvay Coach the Rams?

• Total voters

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I hope he is hear for 20 years, but I kind of lean to where @Akrasian said. I see a 8-10 year run, hopefully a couple few SB wins. But I see a young guy who will have many options. If he continues to coach he will probably want another "challenge". Prove he can win with another team, another QB etc.

My money is on him becoming a TV guy. He has the personality for it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
10+ years. Kroenke always talks about how the Cheatriots do things, so if he wants to model the Rams similar to Kraft's organization, less the cheating part, he would want to keep McVay around for a very long time.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I voted 10 to 20 I think the only limit on mcvays time is coaching burn out.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'd love to see him here for 10 to 20 assuming he can maintain this success most years. However, of imagine he'll move on at some point I keep challenging himself. Maybe he can move on to be our GM.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could see the model of Tomlin in Pittsburgh.
Hire a young talented guy and keep him for 10+ years. I think McVay is more talented that Tomlin however.
Have to draft well.
Have to draft well
Have to draft well.
Agree.

McVay still does not have a full & complete arsenal of draft selection yet in 2018 without a #2 round & #7 th rd. selections but they do have two extra known 6th rd'ers plus one selection from the Ravens yet to be determined (but most think it will be a 7th rd'er) to work with too. So that 8 selections (ammo) to attack the areas of major concerns after the Free Agency.

Rams do have 7 to 8 UFA starters involved of the total 14 UFA Ram players involved in FA'cy this season. In addition of the 14 UFA's McVay has five RFA's too. So McVay has a much bigger problem that last off season season. McVay did end up with 2 rookie starters (Kupp /JJ III) from his first draft, with 3 other rookies (Reynolds/ Ebukam /Smart) whom have started several game each. The only big negative from McVay's 1st draft was the top selection Gerald Everett.

Rd 2, Pick 12 (44) Everett, Gerald TE :sadwalk:
Rd 3, Pick 5 (69) Kupp, Cooper WR:D
Rd 3, Pick 27 (91) Johnson, John S:D
Rd 4, Pick 10 (117) Reynolds, Josh WR (y)
Rd 4, Pick 19 (125) Ebukam, Samson OLB (y)
Rd 6, Pick 5 (189) Smart, Tanzel DT:)
Rd 6, Pick 22 (206) Rogers, Sam FB :thinking:
Rd 7, Pick 16 (234) Price, Ejuan DE :cautious:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm waiting for someone to post a photograph of those creepy twins from The Shining, saying "forever and ever and ever".

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm more concerned about Saturday. After that, the next game the following weekend hopefully...

Long term, McVay stays as long as he wants and is still productive. If he retires as HC of the Rams at age 65, I'm good with that!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I'm waiting for someone to post a photograph of those creepy twins from The Shining, saying "forever and ever and ever".

2231.gif

"McVay, come and coach with us...forever....and ever..."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you hire a 31 year old coach you have to be in it for the long term. And regardless of his hot start with this year's team there will be bumps in the road. So what you do is everything you can to help him out as he grows into that great head coach you want, and support him. That means keeping Wade Phillips happy on the defensive side (drafting/signing enough players to field the D he wants, giving him pay hikes too if necessary), drafting well, paying for top assistant coaches, signing shrewd FAs, etc.

Now a lot of people are talking about McVay like he's already arrived. But that's not true IMO. He's a superb offensive mind who also happens to be a great leader, and has the full toolkit you want for greatness, but he is also going to get better as he matures as a head coach. Even though he's a quick study, the guy you see now vs the guy you'll see five years from now will be a big jump in confidence, knowledge, experience, etc, and should be a far better head coach because of all that.

So IMO if the Rams handle him correctly not only will McVay grow into greatness, but the entire organization will as well as it centers on him and his staff. And if so, that definitely means he's a 10+ year head coach here in LA. Be patient with him, support him, and I think the Rams have a front office and ownership required to do all that. I do think Stan has found his Belichick.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
...actually this is where I was going...

Rainman.gif

"About a hundred years. Yeah. Definitely. Ten minutes 'til Watkins. Sammy Watkins.
'Course I'm an excellent driver."

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I could actually see McVay going the John Madden route. Coaching for a decade or 15 years, then going to the booth. He is such an effective communicator, and so intense in his coaching, he may need a change at some point.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm saying 20+ because that's what I'm hoping for.

Guy is young, and very smart. You don't let that guy leave until he's done in the league. Things can change with time, but right now I'm in the "Keep him for a very long time" boat.

I think he's only going to get better as a coach.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If we don't win the Super Bowl he should be fired.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I voted 10-20. This ownership wants consistency. If Fisher has contending teams, I have no doubt he’d still be here. McVay may get to where he needs a break at some point. Coaching is very taxing but he seems to have energy by the ton. If he is enjoying himself, I could see 20. If it becomes a chore and the Rams are stuck in mediocrity, there will be a common understanding that it’s time to move on. I just don’t see that happening earlier than 10 years from now.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I would like to see McVay remain the Rams HC until he decides to retire. I voted 10-20 yrs,I figure it will take at least 10 yrs before McVay sees back to back non winning seasons, like some 7-9 bullshit. And with the patience SK showed with Fisher I dont see McVay being fired unless he has at least 4 consecutive losing seasons, so he may be here forever. At around 45-50 yrs of age McVay may decide that all this success has been to easy and could possibly be lured away for a big stack of $ to coach a team like the Browns and see if he can turn that franchise around like he has done with the Rams.

nighttrain

Legend
I'm saying 20+ because that's what I'm hoping for.

Guy is young, and very smart. You don't let that guy leave until he's done in the league. Things can change with time, but right now I'm in the "Keep him for a very long time" boat.

I think he's only going to get better as a coach.
Agreed, +20, my biggest reason is Jared Goff. Goff will have a +10 year career, then McVay will want to groom at least one more QB
train

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree.

McVay still does not have a full & complete arsenal of draft selection yet in 2018 without a #2 round & #7 th rd. selections but they do have two extra known 6th rd'ers plus one selection from the Ravens yet to be determined (but most think it will be a 7th rd'er) to work with too. So that 8 selections (ammo) to attack the areas of major concerns after the Free Agency.

Rams do have 7 to 8 UFA starters involved of the total 14 UFA Ram players involved in FA'cy this season. In addition of the 14 UFA's McVay has five RFA's too. So McVay has a much bigger problem that last off season season. McVay did end up with 2 rookie starters (Kupp /JJ III) from his first draft, with 3 other rookies (Reynolds/ Ebukam /Smart) whom have started several game each. The only big negative from McVay's 1st draft was the top selection Gerald Everett.

Rd 2, Pick 12 (44) Everett, Gerald TE :sadwalk:
Rd 3, Pick 5 (69) Kupp, Cooper WR:D
Rd 3, Pick 27 (91) Johnson, John S:D
Rd 4, Pick 10 (117) Reynolds, Josh WR (y)
Rd 4, Pick 19 (125) Ebukam, Samson OLB (y)
Rd 6, Pick 5 (189) Smart, Tanzel DT:)
Rd 6, Pick 22 (206) Rogers, Sam FB :thinking:
Rd 7, Pick 16 (234) Price, Ejuan DE :cautious:
That draft looks super at this point.
I do expect Everett, Smart and Ebukam to continue to develop and improve.
Less optimism for Rogers but who knows?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoping for a bellicheck style tenure
Could see the model of Tomlin in Pittsburgh.
What do these men have in common? Consistent success. And that's been done through successful drafting (even in lower rounds) and smart free agent acquisitions.

assuming he can maintain this success most years.
McVay stays as long as he wants and is still productive.
If it becomes a chore and the Rams are stuck in mediocrity, there will be a common understanding that it’s time to move on.
I know it seems like this immediate success could go on for a while, but there are many imponderables that can rise up as very difficult challenges:
1] Money
Remember how difficult it was to retain as many of the Super Bowl players as possible? Extreme juggling act with difficult negotiations. Demoff is good... this will put him to the test!
That's where NE excels. They jettison players before they can break the bank (for draft picks!)... and - MOST IMPORTANTLY - figure out how to replace them with little to no drop-off. This is done either through drafts or free agency but no one holds them up for ransom. Even Wunderboy Brady has been agreeable to contracts that keep the success alive. But, you have to have had enough success that players who could break the bank are willing to take home team discounts.
That's a lot to manage!!

2] Depth
The Rams have been remarkably fortunate this year on the injury front. That's not likely to continue - simple law of averages. We got a glimpse of how our second and third stringers play last week. Need depth.
I know I keep bringing NE up, but they are the model. One goes down, the replacement comes in and performs at nearly the same level. This may also tie in with the ability to let a bank breaker go... depth.

IF they can continue to build a roster with solid draft picks and free agents and be in a position to let bank breakers go without severe drop-off, then you have a model that will guarantee success because McVay is clearly a smart, good coach. He was smart enough to go get Phillips and, when he (Phillips) retires, they should be able to get a top notch DC if they are successful.

So...
1] Build a quality roster, top to bottom
2] Manage the cap (don't let anyone hold you hostage)
3] Fill in gaps in the coaching staff with top notch coaches

Do that and they will remain successful... not at all easy! BUT, I do believe McVay will stay as long as he has this type of support from the owner on down... and, if he does? Winning continues and he stays for as long as he wants.
Yes... like NE.

Funny... when you are successful, you generally stay where you are. :sneaky:
Let's take it one year at a time
Yup... and I'll go you one better... one game at a time... next up? ATL!!

spend a little time with his kids,
OK, I'm using this post to sneak another pic of the GF... think he'd like to try having kids with her?
Sean-McVays-Girlfriend-Veronika-Khomyn-Facebook.jpg

Sean_McVay_girlfriend_Veronika_Khomyn_image-3.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He may not be trying to have kids with her, but I bet he sure the hell is practicing.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could actually see McVay going the John Madden route. Coaching for a decade or 15 years, then going to the booth. He is such an effective communicator, and so intense in his coaching, he may need a change at some point.
Anyone buying Mcvay 2047 .. I hear EA
Just rereleased Mcvay 2046 but with the roster update for the rookies