How long before Chris Garrett emerges as Leonard Floyd’s pass rushing partner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams linebacker Chris Garrett wins the confidence game​

Skepticism was natural when the Rams used a seventh-round draft pick last spring to select an outside linebacker from a Division II college that canceled its 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Among those without much faith in Chris Garrett going into his first Rams training camp was Chris Garrett.

“It was a little shaky, I’ll be honest,” Garrett said of his confidence then. “I just hadn’t played in such a long time.”

Consider his confidence restored.

Saturday night, the 23-year-old from Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn., had a breakthrough game in the Rams’ 17-16 preseason loss to the Raiders at SoFi Stadium. Really, he had a breakthrough five minutes.

In a span of six Raiders snaps over two series in the second quarter, Garrett tipped a Nathan Peterman pass that ended up intercepted by safety J.R. Reed, threw running back Trey Ragas for a 6-yard loss, teamed with defensive end Jonah Williams on a sack, got his hand on an incomplete pass, and recorded a strip sack to force a punt.

Deep breath.

“My mentality is ‘next play, next play.’ I was tired. I almost tapped,” Garrett, 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, said later. “But it was just ‘go.’ “

Garrett started and played 60% of defensive downs, most among Rams linebackers, and had team highs in sacks (1-1/2), quarterback hits (three) and passes defended (two). This, after he played 42% of snaps and failed to dent the stat sheet in the Rams’ preseason-opening loss to the Chargers.

The performance can’t hurt Garrett’s chances of winning a spot on the roster. He started the preseason behind outside linebackers Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Justin Lawler on the depth chart. Terrell Lewis continues to miss practice with knee problems.

“He did a great job. Made a big impact,” Rams coach Sean McVay said of Garrett on Saturday. “And really you’ve seen him start to make steady improvements (in practice).”

Garrett, the 252nd of 259 players taken in this year’s draft, caught the Rams’ attention with 36 1/2 sacks in college. Those broke a school record set by defensive end Zach Moore, Concordia’s only previous NFL player. Moore played for four NFL teams from 2014-18.

“You know, the biggest thing wasn’t that I came from Concordia-St. Paul, a small school. It was more that I missed the 2020 season, and getting adjusted to (playing again),” Garrett said of his challenge in training camp. “Every day, it was a big emphasis (to) just do better than the day before. I slowly got better.”

His first breakthrough came in practice about two weeks ago when he won his first one-on-one pass-rushing drill.

“I just couldn’t win a one-on-one, and I’m just like ‘What is going on?’ ” he said. “I used some hands and speed and won a live rep in practice, and I’m like, ‘I’m back! Let’s go.’

“I was super confident coming into this game.”

His second breakthrough, Saturday night, showed how far he has come in a month.

“I got in a little zone there, made a bunch of plays. It was fun just getting out there, getting that adrenaline back,” Garrett said. “It was nice.”

NOTES

The Rams said running back/kick returner Raymond Calais sustained a Lisfranc injury Saturday, a foot fracture. Calais will need surgery, worsening the depth problem at running back. Active are Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk and Otis Anderson. The Rams opened last season with five backs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah those three guys will probably be snapped up if/when cut.

Been playing around with the defensive roster but it's harder to read because of DL and Safety. So many different ways they can go. Gonna just wait and see I really don't have nearly as good a handle on that side this year.

I do hope they go short on ILB. I have a hard time keeping a 4th ILB when I look at the DL and safety options that will be cut.
Agree on ILB, especially since they line up a S there in long yardage situations.

So yeah S, LB, DL are the tough ones.

Keys will be if the keep Only 2 QBs, 8 OL, & 3 ILBs... And maybe 4 CBs, with Burgess able to be the #5 CB if needed.

With practice squad rules it does allow them to activate a CB if needed on game day if injuries hit.

Same with OL where you keep 8 on the active roster. Stash 3 on the practice squad and activate one if needed.

Our current #5 & #6 CB's are not world beaters same with the 9th OL & 4th ILB. So take your chances there and keep the better talent at S, Edge, and DL. Although would hate the give up Alaric Jackson as he could be claimed based on potential.

So hoping Reed, Hughes, and Jonah Williams or Hoecht/Banks make it. Need some young depth on the DL since they likely lose SJD next yr and maybe Robinson. Plus I like the fact that Williams & Banks are 6-5". That size gives fits to guys like Wilson & Murray.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris is easy to root for. He comes across as a very nice guy! Was great watching him tear it up last game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

How long before Chris Garrett emerges as Leonard Floyd’s pass rushing partner?​

Chris Garrett has the pieces to be the steal of the 2021 draft
By Christopher Daniel
1629911901658.png

Los Angeles Rams rookie outside linebacker Chris Garrett may be the long term answer for edge pressure opposite of Leonard Floyd. Garrett dominated nine-year veteran offensive lineman Patrick Omameh on Saturday night against the Las Vegas Raiders, showing a consistent ability to be disruptive off of the edge.

“He did a great job,” said Sean McVay. “Made a big impact. You could see he was applying pressure consistently. Big second quarter and really you’ve seen him start to make steady improvements. And I think we always talk about it where that practice performance and preparation equals game reality and tonight was an example of that for Chris.”
While it is still the preseason, and Omameh has been the definition of a journeyman in the NFL, he obviously has enough tricks up his sleeve to go from an undrafted free agent, to lasting nearly a decade in the league. This particular matchup was one in which Garrett undoubtedly learned more about pass rushing in the NFL than if he were competing against another young late round draft pick.

He absolutely stuffed the stat sheet with four total tackles, 1.5 sacks, three quarterback hits, and two pass break ups. One of his deflected passes ended up in the hands of safety J.R. Reed for an LA interception midway through the second quarter.

You don’t even have to go back to his collegiate days at Concordia College St. Paul, where Garrett racked up 36.5 sacks and holds the NCAA Division II record for career forced fumbles with 15.

cg_college_stat_chart.JPG

Garrett showed signs of promise against the Los Angeles Chargers. While he didn’t get a sack, he did show enough pass rushing prowess to impress former Los Angeles Ram turned color commentator Aqib Talib into saying, “Pardon my excitement, I’m just watching Chris Garrett” during the broadcast.

“He’s a natural, in my opinion,” added Talib.

With Justin Hollins apparently getting the first crack to start at right outside linebacker, Garrett’s most immediate competition among the backup edge rushers consists of Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Justin Lawler, and Terrell Lewis.

Lawler is all but assured to slot in as Floyd’s direct back up on the left side of the defense, as he shined in the Rams first preseason game against the Chargers.

Both Okoronkwo and Lewis have shown durability issues during their time in the NFL. Okoronkwo has played in only 20 games since being drafted in the fifth round of the 2018 draft, accumulating 2.5 sacks over his career.

Unfortunately, Lewis has been exceptionally injury prone, going back to the University of Alabama, which made the perceived first round talent drop to the third round of the 2020 NFL draft. He missed half of his rookie year and countless valuable reps during the 2021 offseason, due to various ailments.

At this point, the 2021 seventh round draft pick is a near lock to make the roster. Due to Lewis’ inability to get on the field, Garrett’s worst case scenario should be the third right edge rusher on the roster behind Okoronkwo.

If the Milwaukee, WI native has another dominating performance against the Denver Broncos in the preseason finale this Saturday, a legitimate case could be made that a sort of in season competition between he and Okoronkwo is necessary.

Without a multi-year starter ahead of him on the depth chart, and youth on his side, Garrett should be able to emerge as contributor in pass rushing situations this season with room for much more in the seasons to come. Garrett may very well be the piece that turns the right outside linebacker from a question mark during the 2021 offseason to position of strength going forward.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay guys we will see who is here this time next year.
Way to go out on a limb! An unrestricted free agent on the DLine for a team that added a rookie this year at the same position. The Rams appear to be very deep at DL and aren’t exactly cash rich so him not being signed in the off season is far from surprising.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Way to go out on a limb! An unrestricted free agent on the DLine for a team that added a rookie this year at the same position. The Rams appear to be very deep at DL and aren’t exactly cash rich so him not being signed in the off season is far from surprising.
I just find the idea that the Rams would keep SJD around for the comp pick but is at the same time compromising to be a little confusing.
SJD is a player. A very solid one. You can be very excited about Brown's potential, yet still realize that SJD is a big step ahead of him and a crucial player on this defense right now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just find the idea that the Rams would keep SJD around for the comp pick but is at the same time compromising to be a little confusing.
SJD is a player. A very solid one. You can be very excited about Brown's potential, yet still realize that SJD is a big step ahead of him and a crucial player on this defense right now.
I made the comment yesterday SJD might be the best defender not named Ramsey or Donald. But depth and salary cap are real considerations and like you said comp picks. We all know Snead loves them. I’m just shocked anybody would say SJD not being on the Rams in 2022 reflects on him being bad. Is the same true about John Johnson? Is he not good because we didn’t sign him? That just does make any sense.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I made the comment yesterday SJD might be the best defender not named Ramsey or Donald. But depth and salary cap are real considerations and like you said comp picks. We all know Snead loves them. I’m just shocked anybody would say SJD not being on the Dams in 2022 reflects on him being bad. Is the same true about John Johnson? Is he not good because we didn’t sign him? That just does make any sense.
I have to admit that I also just LOVE players like SJD. Guys with tremendous enthusiasm and work ethic. He's EXACTLY the kind of guy you want in your program, especially when you're drafting guys like Brown behind him. He's the template for a mid-late rounder to find great success in the league. I'll root for that guy to succeed wherever he goes, except when he plays the Rams.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yup. Exactly what happened to John Johnson, and Fox last season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And Obo sat out of practice yesterday with a stinger...
Og has been "Injury Prone" since he was drafted.... which remains true to this very date.

One reason I am so excited about the bursting out of OLB'er Garrett!

The thought of Snead/McVay/Morris having both Terrell Lewis :hellno::later:& Og Okoronkwo :injury::violin::bomb:(n)as 1/2 our OLB'er cadre makes me :scream:!

I am hoping for Floyd/ Lawler/ Hollins/ Garrett to be our main four OLB'ers. The Rams have two nice-sized DE/ edge rushers tweeners that have looked really good early this season in Eric Banks & Jonah Williams......I hate to lose these two pass rushers for the likes of Lewis/Okoronkwo.

Tell me if I am wrong....Lewis, if he hits the field usually just rides a bike while the other pass rushers like Garrett/ Banks/ Williams/ Hoecht are working their butts off in TC & preseason. Lewis should have a front seat to the IR as soon as the preseason ends. If he ever (doubtful) indicates that his knee is sound (not going to happen) then he can return but giving him a spot on the MR53 would be a 1st degree NFL felony.

I just do not see any upside on Og Okoronkwo either. He is in his last season under contract. The Rams came out on the short end of the stick on his basic Econo-friendly rookie contact no way I would offer him a paise raise next season. So why would you cut players, like I have listed above that, would have a better chance at a Ram future as pass rushers in that front five of the defense!

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Og has been "Injury Prone" since he was drafted.... which remains true to this very date.

One reason I am so excited about the bursting out of OLB'er Garrett!

The thought of Snead/McVay/Morris having both Terrell Lewis :hellno::later:& Og Okoronkwo :injury::violin::bomb:(n)as 1/2 our OLB'er cadre makes me :scream:!

I am hoping for Floyd/ Lawler/ Hollins/ Garrett to be our main four OLB'ers. The Rams have two nice sized DE/ edge rushers tweeners that have looked really good early this season in Eric Banks & Jonah Williams......I hate to lose these two pass rushers for the likes of Lewis/Okoronkwo.

It is a damn shame because I believe in Lewis and Obo's ability to be good, possibly great edge players but like you said we have some emerging depth there now that it has made it too risky to keep both or possibly either player. I like the idea of Floyd/Lawler and Hollins/Garrett now. Hollins I don't find flashy but very solid to be the base starter with Garrett coming in on passing downs for his rookie year at least.

At that point it's a hard sell to give 1 or maybe 2 spots to Lewis and/or Obo. Lawler has also been injury prone as well. We have quality depth but reliability is a huge issue. Be interesting to see if Snead gambles on talent, which he has been known to do, or adds a little reliability into the decision.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope he gets more playing time against Denver, I really want to see what this kids got. I think he's obviously better opposite Floyd rather than playing on the Left side. Once he moved over he was less effective. But if he continues to shine on the right side there's no doubt he should take over Hollins/Lewis' spot. Def rooting for him

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It is a damn shame because I believe in Lewis and Obo's ability to be good, possibly great edge players but like you said we have some emerging depth there now that it has made it too risky to keep both or possibly either player. I like the idea of Floyd/Lawler and Hollins/Garrett now. Hollins I don't find flashy but very solid to be the base starter with Garrett coming in on passing downs for his rookie year at least.

At that point it's a hard sell to give 1 or maybe 2 spots to Lewis and/or Obo. Lawler has also been injury prone as well. We have quality depth but reliability is a huge issue. Be interesting to see if Snead gambles on talent, which he has been known to do, or adds a little reliability into the decision.
I need to remind myself that new DC Morris has far more of a 43 than 34 defense in his coaching history.

Going with just 6 DL'ers on the MR53 with four of them being far more DT/NT types might cause him some serious heartburn. Morris might throw us a curve here with those two pass rusher tweeners Banks/Wiliams.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When I watched his college highlights and looked at his measurements I was thinking Leonard Little. Little came in as a LBer IIRC then gained weight and muscle. I can see Garrett doing the same. He has a little bigger frame to work with. Don't get me wrong you have to like the Robert Quinn comparison too. You got to have guys that can get to the quarterback.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPLSooaWFLk

Yep. His play reminded me of Little. Instantly.