How long before Chris Garrett emerges as Leonard Floyd’s pass rushing partner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams linebacker Chris Garrett wins the confidence game​

Skepticism was natural when the Rams used a seventh-round draft pick last spring to select an outside linebacker from a Division II college that canceled its 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Among those without much faith in Chris Garrett going into his first Rams training camp was Chris Garrett.

“It was a little shaky, I’ll be honest,” Garrett said of his confidence then. “I just hadn’t played in such a long time.”

Consider his confidence restored.

Saturday night, the 23-year-old from Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn., had a breakthrough game in the Rams’ 17-16 preseason loss to the Raiders at SoFi Stadium. Really, he had a breakthrough five minutes.

In a span of six Raiders snaps over two series in the second quarter, Garrett tipped a Nathan Peterman pass that ended up intercepted by safety J.R. Reed, threw running back Trey Ragas for a 6-yard loss, teamed with defensive end Jonah Williams on a sack, got his hand on an incomplete pass, and recorded a strip sack to force a punt.

Deep breath.

“My mentality is ‘next play, next play.’ I was tired. I almost tapped,” Garrett, 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, said later. “But it was just ‘go.’ “

Garrett started and played 60% of defensive downs, most among Rams linebackers, and had team highs in sacks (1-1/2), quarterback hits (three) and passes defended (two). This, after he played 42% of snaps and failed to dent the stat sheet in the Rams’ preseason-opening loss to the Chargers.

The performance can’t hurt Garrett’s chances of winning a spot on the roster. He started the preseason behind outside linebackers Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Justin Lawler on the depth chart. Terrell Lewis continues to miss practice with knee problems.

“He did a great job. Made a big impact,” Rams coach Sean McVay said of Garrett on Saturday. “And really you’ve seen him start to make steady improvements (in practice).”

Garrett, the 252nd of 259 players taken in this year’s draft, caught the Rams’ attention with 36 1/2 sacks in college. Those broke a school record set by defensive end Zach Moore, Concordia’s only previous NFL player. Moore played for four NFL teams from 2014-18.

“You know, the biggest thing wasn’t that I came from Concordia-St. Paul, a small school. It was more that I missed the 2020 season, and getting adjusted to (playing again),” Garrett said of his challenge in training camp. “Every day, it was a big emphasis (to) just do better than the day before. I slowly got better.”

His first breakthrough came in practice about two weeks ago when he won his first one-on-one pass-rushing drill.

“I just couldn’t win a one-on-one, and I’m just like ‘What is going on?’ ” he said. “I used some hands and speed and won a live rep in practice, and I’m like, ‘I’m back! Let’s go.’

“I was super confident coming into this game.”

His second breakthrough, Saturday night, showed how far he has come in a month.

“I got in a little zone there, made a bunch of plays. It was fun just getting out there, getting that adrenaline back,” Garrett said. “It was nice.”

NOTES

The Rams said running back/kick returner Raymond Calais sustained a Lisfranc injury Saturday, a foot fracture. Calais will need surgery, worsening the depth problem at running back. Active are Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk and Otis Anderson. The Rams opened last season with five backs.

Psycho_X

Legend
His ability to burst through is amazing. I knew he had that but was afraid he'd still get manhandled at the point of attack in the NFL but he's been holding his own. Patrick Omameh isn't a great lineman by any means but he's been a starter in this league off and on for almost a decade and he stood him up good on the half sack with one shoulder/arm to get leverage. And on his strip sack the TE didn't get a good chip on him for the Raiders because he took the long route around it but his burst is so good Omameh had no chance to react and beat him.

He seems to have that innate ability to take advantage of what's given to him and the speed to finish based on college and this one game. Looking forward to him coming in on passing downs opposite Floyd because that's the exact kind of player we need batting cleanup for AD/Floyd. Someone who can exploit offenses keying on the other side of the defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
One recent Ram Garrett reminds me of a little in his movement and fluidity is Corey Littleton. They're different players.. Garrett has 20 pounds on Littleton, at least, but he moves in a similar way and, I think, has some of the same ball instincts.
One place I think we'll see that play out his rookie season is on special teams. I won't be surprised to see Garrett pick up a block or two.
He's got a ways to go... I see him as the 4th or 5th edge guy to start the season, but I think we could see him making plays on D by the end of the year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Man, he looked fast coming off the edge. I know he wasn't playing against all-pro caliber OL, but fast is fast. It's not hard to envision him doing some damage with Donald and Floyd already on the field.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
2 things about Garrett:

1. His ability to force fumbles is off the charts.

2. His burst will come in handy, Facing Wilson and Murray once Donald flushes the QB.
3. He plays with a violence

Reminds of how Robert Quinn met the QB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Yeah, Garrett is the first since Quinn who has that bend around the edge. We have a really solid edge group. Imagine Lewis and Lawler healthy, Garrett continuing to improve, and Hollins with a full year with the team. Add in Floyd. That's a winning group.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah, Garrett is the first since Quinn who has that bend around the edge. We have a really solid edge group. Imagine Lewis and Lawler healthy, Garrett continuing to improve, and Hollins with a full year with the team. Add in Floyd. That's a winning group.

And we still have AD in the middle and Jalen on back end .... (insert maniacal laughter here)

:devil:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
And we still have AD in the middle and Jalen on back end .... (insert maniacal laughter here)

:devil:

And we also have some very good players in SJD (as much as @oldnotdead says he's not good), D-Will, Fuller, and Rapp, and maybe guys like Burgess, Long, Robinson, and Gaines showing up, along with solid rookies in Jones, the Browns, and Rochell. Hell, you have guys like Jonah Williams, Reed, and Rozeboom playing well.

I have faith in this defense repeating its number one ranking, I really do. Players are going to step up and become stars, and it's going to be glorious.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
As I've said SDJ will make the roster so that Snead gets a comp pick. But when you look at B.Brown you know who that pick is aimed at. Brown ran through an OG and over a RB to make a TFL, something SJD hasn't done. Brown will give them an option to paying Robinson big money long-term and as a replacement for SJD. Part of the reason the Rams were soft against the run was SJD. When teams run he gets blown off the LOS and it doesn't always take a double team to do it. The Rams need to improve their run defense between the tackles. Okoronkwo is facing the same issue. He doesn't set a hard edge which is a must if you are playing DE.

It's like the Jones pick was targeted at Kiser who simply can't stay healthy. Jones doesn't project as a sideline to sideline LB but he has shown he's stout against the run and that is exactly what they want. If Morris retains much of Staley's cover 6 then many times there will only be one ILB on the field. He doesn't need sideline to sideline responsibility he needs to be stout over those A gaps. Starting this year I expect AD to begin to come off the field more and rotational players will see more snaps on both sides of the ball. It's the only way to try to extend the health of their key players. Losing AD during the playoffs was a wakeup call IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dude your SJD take cracks me up. :laugh4:

I don't think the guy is a perfect NT by any stretch but I value what he brings. He's high waisted, moves well and can stay on his feet vs zone and anchor reasonably well vs power. I think his best position is probably 5T. But we'll see how things end up shaking out, Robinson may have something to say about that.

Brock was a significant loss now. For the Rams to not miss a beat they need some guys to step up. So I hope Brown shows us a whole lot here vs Denver and a whole lot more week one. Because we haven't seen a whole lot from him thus far, outside of that stuff he had.

And maybe SJD will make an OL look like that sled he fucked up the other day. The guy has reportedly worked his ass off to get better, which, judging by his improvement the other year maybe we should expect him to be better. I'm hopeful this unit can be better than last year even though I do think there's a chance we see a dip.

Ram65

Legend

When I watched his college highlights and looked at his measurements I was thinking Leonard Little. Little came in as a LBer IIRC then gained weight and muscle. I can see Garrett doing the same. He has a little bigger frame to work with. Don't get me wrong you have to like the Robert Quinn comparison too. You got to have guys that can get to the quarterback.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPLSooaWFLk

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SJD might be our best defender not wearing 99 or 5 and we're contemplating cutting him? I think I'm not drinking enough for this to make sense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah those three guys will probably be snapped up if/when cut.

Been playing around with the defensive roster but it's harder to read because of DL and Safety. So many different ways they can go. Gonna just wait and see I really don't have nearly as good a handle on that side this year.

I do hope they go short on ILB. I have a hard time keeping a 4th ILB when I look at the DL and safety options that will be cut.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If it was up to oldnotdead, SJD and Havenstien would already be looking for new jobs.
And Staley would have been fired as DC after 3 games last year, since he was obviously an incompetent idiot. Oh, and pencil in Perkins as the Rams QB until the year 2036.

Sheesh...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Garrett had an insanely good game. Tipped pass, TFL, sack and forced fumble, tipped pass, QB pressure, half sack... amazing.