How long before Chris Garrett emerges as Leonard Floyd’s pass rushing partner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams linebacker Chris Garrett wins the confidence game​

Skepticism was natural when the Rams used a seventh-round draft pick last spring to select an outside linebacker from a Division II college that canceled its 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Among those without much faith in Chris Garrett going into his first Rams training camp was Chris Garrett.

“It was a little shaky, I’ll be honest,” Garrett said of his confidence then. “I just hadn’t played in such a long time.”

Consider his confidence restored.

Saturday night, the 23-year-old from Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn., had a breakthrough game in the Rams’ 17-16 preseason loss to the Raiders at SoFi Stadium. Really, he had a breakthrough five minutes.

In a span of six Raiders snaps over two series in the second quarter, Garrett tipped a Nathan Peterman pass that ended up intercepted by safety J.R. Reed, threw running back Trey Ragas for a 6-yard loss, teamed with defensive end Jonah Williams on a sack, got his hand on an incomplete pass, and recorded a strip sack to force a punt.

Deep breath.

“My mentality is ‘next play, next play.’ I was tired. I almost tapped,” Garrett, 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, said later. “But it was just ‘go.’ “

Garrett started and played 60% of defensive downs, most among Rams linebackers, and had team highs in sacks (1-1/2), quarterback hits (three) and passes defended (two). This, after he played 42% of snaps and failed to dent the stat sheet in the Rams’ preseason-opening loss to the Chargers.

The performance can’t hurt Garrett’s chances of winning a spot on the roster. He started the preseason behind outside linebackers Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Justin Lawler on the depth chart. Terrell Lewis continues to miss practice with knee problems.

“He did a great job. Made a big impact,” Rams coach Sean McVay said of Garrett on Saturday. “And really you’ve seen him start to make steady improvements (in practice).”

Garrett, the 252nd of 259 players taken in this year’s draft, caught the Rams’ attention with 36 1/2 sacks in college. Those broke a school record set by defensive end Zach Moore, Concordia’s only previous NFL player. Moore played for four NFL teams from 2014-18.

“You know, the biggest thing wasn’t that I came from Concordia-St. Paul, a small school. It was more that I missed the 2020 season, and getting adjusted to (playing again),” Garrett said of his challenge in training camp. “Every day, it was a big emphasis (to) just do better than the day before. I slowly got better.”

His first breakthrough came in practice about two weeks ago when he won his first one-on-one pass-rushing drill.

“I just couldn’t win a one-on-one, and I’m just like ‘What is going on?’ ” he said. “I used some hands and speed and won a live rep in practice, and I’m like, ‘I’m back! Let’s go.’

“I was super confident coming into this game.”

His second breakthrough, Saturday night, showed how far he has come in a month.

“I got in a little zone there, made a bunch of plays. It was fun just getting out there, getting that adrenaline back,” Garrett said. “It was nice.”

NOTES

The Rams said running back/kick returner Raymond Calais sustained a Lisfranc injury Saturday, a foot fracture. Calais will need surgery, worsening the depth problem at running back. Active are Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk and Otis Anderson. The Rams opened last season with five backs.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
How could you even risk putting a guy on the practice squad who could have a performance like that?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thought the kid had a game and a half … lawler and him just tied up roster spots IMO

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
This division III stud (missed the 2020 season because of Covid) and is starting to look like a draft steal.

Even though his stats were against preseason caliber players, Garrett's speed rush-quick twitch skill set is starting to translate to the NFL level.

He's one of the Rams top 3 intriguing draft picks along with Tutu and Harris.

There is little doubt from me that he will force his way in the edge rushing rotation this season.

1200x0.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
Really curious if Lewis gets "stashed" on IR (or outright cut) and Garret goes to 53....

Guy can seal his fate with a good game in the 3rd preseason game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just what the doctor ordered for this Ram defense @ OLB'er. If he turns in another game next week he will have won a position on the Ram MR! Lewis is either gone or IR'd.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Looked great - how are his coverage skills? Anyone seen much in that dept?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lewis is going to end up on the IL or released to start the season, I think, and Garrett clearly has enough physical traits to be a good NFL player.

Great edge player from late in the draft or undrafted? Hmmmm... Garrett rhymes with Barrett.. just saying.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
If we put him on the PS he is a goner........one game doesn't make a career but he is off to a hell of a start.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
High motor guy, decent quicks off the edge. Sounds like a great late round pick eh? :thumbsup1:

IMO this year he'll be a situational rusher for us. Situational because he sort of gets pushed around so teams can run at him. If he can build strength and get some pop to him though he could be something. So he'll be a second year type impact guy if he gets that part of his game right.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Looked great - how are his coverage skills? Anyone seen much in that dept?
Baby steps. We need pass rush opposite Floyd first & foremost.

If it were me i'd just cut bait on Lewis to ensure Garrett makes the 53. Not sure i'd even bother with IR.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm really curious about some of Garrett's pro-day numbers and what those same numbers would look like after a year in an NFL strength and nutrition program.
In pro day pics and some early pictures I saw of him, he looked kind of soft to me.. and I'm wondering if he's a guy who's going to really, really benefit from working with pros. The difference between the kind of program he was in and a top D1 program is pretty significant, I would think.

The players I think about when I see Garrett right now are Ngakoue and Shaq Barrett.

Garrett is different from guys who have been on the Rams in recent years like Ebukam and even Obo, in my opinion, in that he seems fluid, flexible and instinctive.

I'm really excited about his future.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They knew what they were getting with Lewis so I'm thinking injured reserve.

There's no reason to think that another surgery might not fix his knee problem.

Very often the swelling is due to loose pieces of cartilage that can be cleaned up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Chris Garrett makes presence felt vs. Raiders​

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – In a four-play sequence, Rams outside linebacker Chris Garrett reminded everyone of what made him such an intriguing prospect coming out of Division II Concordia St. Paul.

A 6-yard tackle for loss, followed by splitting a sack with defensive lineman Jonah Williams two plays later. He then used the long arms on his 6-foot-4 frame to deflect a pass before finishing off the drive with a sack-forced fumble on third down.

By the end of Saturday night's preseason loss to the Raiders, it represented most of Garrett's production. He finished with four total tackles, 1.5 sacks, three QB hits and two pass breakups to make his presence felt.

"I thought it was good," Garrett said of his performance. "I got in a little zone there, made a bunch of plays, and it was fun. Just getting out there, getting that adrenaline back. That was nice."

For Garrett – who also tipped a pass that led to an interception by defensive back J.R. Reed – that shot of energy had not been felt in a long time. Up until the Rams' preseason opener against the Chargers, he had played in only one live football game since mid-November 2019 – the Hula Bowl college all-star game held in January earlier this year. COVID-19 concerns cancelled the Division II fall 2020 sports season, so Garrett decided to forego his senior season and prepare for the NFL Draft.

"The biggest thing wasn't that I came from Concordia St. Paul, a small school, it was more that I missed the 2020 season and just adjusting to that," Garrett said. "But every day, it was a big emphasis to just do better than the day before. And I've slowly gotten better."

Gradually stacking those days helped lead to Saturday night's breakthrough performance. If there was a breakthrough moment prior to Saturday night's game, it came early in training camp as Garrett.

"I think it was like two weeks ago, I won my first one-on-one," Garrett said. "I just couldn't win a one on one, and I'm just like, 'What is going on?' And I won just using hands and some speed, and then I won a live rep in practice, and I was just like, 'Alright, I'm back. Let's go.'"

Garrett's mentality is always thinking about just the next play. It was the mentality that helped him in training camp, and in turn helped him stack together the group of plays he made in the second quarter.

"He did a great job. Made a big impact," Rams head coach Sean McVay said. "You could see he was applying pressure consistently. Big second quarter. And really you've seen him start to make steady improvements. I think we always talk about it, that where that practice, performance and preparation equals game reality. And tonight was an example of that for Chris."

TexasRam

Legend
2 things about Garrett:

1. His ability to force fumbles is off the charts.

2. His burst will come in handy, Facing Wilson and Murray once Donald flushes the QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
2 things about Garrett:

1. His ability to force fumbles is off the charts.

2. His burst will come in handy, Facing Wilson and Murray once Donald flushes the QB.

I guess my question is about OBo & T. Lewis ? Just asking.

Then what LBers make the Roster? I guess my girlfriend who knows nothing about Football is observant.
Troy Reeder looks like the starter? Must b his Azz?

—My whole thing at camp & Garrett was where is he. #48 & #49 have been hard to pick up being on the Left Side of the ball.
Saturday was actually the first time I saw him lining up as a DE/Lb edge on the right side.Donavan Olumba has those dreads going on as well.
-Travon Howard #32 might be at risk.I also think going back to my GF.Look out for #54.He is coming into his own.The Rams salary cap speaks volumes on what they think.It doesn’t take someone who knows nothing about football to figure that out.Of course #99 was no where to be found,so there is that.Either was SJD69.
#45 to me has been tough to see.Just not good off the edge.He is small,but showed excellent foot speed.Hard call because he has short arms against big LT’s.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
It's one game, yes BUT if he shows out again next week I'm taking Garrett over Lewis and maybe Obo. Lewis and OBO have talent but also major injury concerns. Can't have a dude who can only play a down or 2 a game before he's hurt again

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hope they play him enough this next game to see that it wasn't a fluke. He does seem to have the measurables needed for the position. Obo and Lewis's health is just not reliable. If Garrett is playing similar to their level they gotta keep him. Could be one of those late round picks that works out.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Chris Garrett seems to have things that others on this roster just don’t have.

Forget that he comes from a small school. I don’t know how long it’ll take, but his high ceiling is undeniable.

He will of course make the 53 and I suspect that his snaps will increase as his skills are developed.

Yet another Snead late round gem, I believe.

That Ram analytics dept rocks!