How good is Russell Wilson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Would you want him as our QB? Regardless of how or how much, if you could have Wilson as our QB would you do it?
Only if Bevel comes with him.
Alone? I dunno. We don't run that kind of read-option offense.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
He's obviously a good QB, but he's not asked to do a ton in that offense either.
That team was 1st in rushing attempts per game in 2012.
2nd in 2013.
2nd last year.

Of course he contributes a lot to the amount of rushing attempts and yardage that team gets; and because of that, he's not a pure QB in any sense of the word. He's a dual threat whose success is predicated Lynch's ability (which keeps defenses keyed on the RB), and their defense which always allows their offense to play to their own strengths instead of playing catch-up. But make no mistake. Wilson's ability to extend plays by buying time inside (and outside) the pocket is a HUGE plus. And the reason all running QBs aren't as successful as him is because most of the other ones are stupid. Like Seattle or hate'm, Wilson is a pretty cool character. Shame he's on that shithead team, really.
He is also very cerebral. That and his legs are his best attributes. And he keeps his eyes downfiled, never giving up on a play like Kaeperdick

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Only if Bevel comes with him.
Alone? I dunno. We don't run that kind of read-option offense.
But you would have to wonder if our scheme would change around his skill set. Bradford was encouraged to use his legs if he needed to, and Clemens ran one read-option play against the Titans.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But you would have to wonder if our scheme would change around his skill set. Bradford was encouraged to use his legs if he needed to, and Clemens ran one read-option play against the Titans.
I have no idea what our scheme is at this point.
I hear it's gonna be good and easy and productive and super successful.
But I don't know what it is.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I want to say Wilson is overrated. And he might be a tad. But he's done well with the system they have. Can't deny that. I'd like to see how he fares when the window starts closing on them and they players around him are mediocre. How will he do without Lynch? How will he do without knowing he doesn't have to get into a shootout with the opposition because they can't score on his defense? That time is coming and we'll see how good he really is, or isn't.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I'll put it this way: Romo > Wilson (by far)
BzyPqCRIUAAulUv.jpg

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I look it this way. If Wilson was on another team other than Seattle. He would just be an average QB. To me he's a game manager to protect the ball (except the last drive of the SB), and rely on their defense, and run game to get going.

With that statement that's what I think the Rams are trying to mold themselves into. Strong D, Good Running game, and a QB to just manage the game. The QB isn't the focal point of the Offense.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he's smart and a leader.

However, without that defense and Lynch, I don't think those qualities would be nearly enough to get him as far as he's gone in his young career.

That said, I always admire people who - when they are given the opportunity to do something special in life - rise to the occasion and make the most of themselves (think Warner).

He's done that.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I look it this way. If Wilson was on another team other than Seattle. He would just be an average QB. To me he's a game manager to protect the ball (except the last drive of the SB), and rely on their defense, and run game to get going.

With that statement that's what I think the Rams are trying to mold themselves into. Strong D, Good Running game, and a QB to just manage the game. The QB isn't the focal point of the Offense.

I fully agree with this. If Wilson played on the Rams the last 3 years I don't believe he woulda led them to double digit wins. Mighta won a couple more last year because Hill and Davis were awful. But he wouldn't be on anyone's radar if he played for a mediocre or less team. I don't think he can carry a team like the elite QB's can. Aaron Rogers woulda turned the 6-10 Rams into a playoff team, IMO.

But the Rams don't need an elite QB to win. Fisher is trying to build this team into the kind of team where mediocre QB play can win as long as they take care of the ball. Think of the Ravens and Bucs when they won superbowls in the early 2000's. The Rams defense could possibly be that good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's smart. He divorced his first wife before his big contract.

In all seriousness; he's durable and never seems to take a hard hit. He moves exceptionally well and creates plays with his legs and ultimately the time he creates leads to plays with his arm.

His accuracy is spotty but his arm strength is very good. His size doesn't seem to limit him and one could argue is part of the durability package.

He seems to have the respect of the team, but like every Seattle player is a douche, a tool, and not worth a discarded snot filled tissue.

Yeah plus it's awesome when he makes plays like this with his legs. :sneaky:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Do you really think I didn't get the joke?
Look at the supporting cast Romo has had. Dez, Witten, Murray....and what is widely regarded as the best OL in football. He BETTER produce in that environment. I think Romo is a good QB, but I have no idea how he found his way into THIS conversation.....

A55VA6

Legend
Slightly above average because of his legs, ability to create, and he's smart. His arm talent isn't out of this world though.