How good is our roster ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
My theory is the weight loss in the offseason. He said he shed about 10 pounds, and on a guy like that (with minuscule amounts of body fat), that 10 pounds is almost all muscle. My offseason regiment for Todd would be to by a truckload of protein shakes and hit the weight room to add back that 10 pounds of muscle.

But again, it's just my theory, and it's worth every dollar you paid me to put it here ;)

I can't remember where I heard this but one time I heard he said he wasn't trying to lose weight he just lost it. maybe there is a health problem?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I Agree about the oline shame..fish and co let Kush go he is playing well in chi town i believe..id be down for trading Quinn for a 1st while he has value

most teams dont have superstars at every position..there are a few teams have late rounders starting and playing well its not beyond the realms of possiblity of turning this roster round with a good FA and draft
If they could get a 1st for Quinn absolutely do it, it would be a steal. I doubt anyone would give even a 3rd at this point.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can't remember where I heard this but one time I heard he said he wasn't trying to lose weight he just lost it. maybe there is a health problem?

Hope it's not a health problem. Maybe it's just from a hectic offseason with the move, who knows. Either way, I'd like to see him put that 10 pounds of muscle back on his body.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How good is the 2016 roster?

Most Ram fans would naturally be tainted & over value & be more positive about this roster than non fans. Lets see here lets go back & review our excuses form previous seasons...."key injuries to starters". Yes :yess: that's the ticket... :oops:Oops my review on that did not go well.. Not one starter :(is listed on the IR, so I can not use that old excuse. Shucks!:rant:. Its been a long time since the Rams roster has been this injury free fact is I can not recall :thinking:such an injury free season. Yes we had some & currently have some additional one but in comparison to other past seasons we are HEALTHY:shocking:.

Currently IF we had a 2017 First round selection we would draft @ #5:cry:. The Titans look to have secured a top five selection from the Rams on the Fisher trade this season if the season ended today. I would have bet all I have that the Titans never thought they would have ended up with such a high valued prize :yay:when they made that trade before the 2016 Draft. The wins & losses tell the real story on just how poor this roster is. Ranked #28 of 32 total teams:banghead:.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
When your offense is dead last you are not a top 10 roster.

Our talent level is below average at the following positions:

Wr #1
Wr#2
LT
C
RG
DE
Safety

This is how I rate every Player going into an offseason strategy:

Britt - hands of stone. Need to replace.

Quick - See above.

Tavon - playmaker when used right. Keep.

Gurley - needs a better oline. Keep.

Goff - Shows huge potential. Keep.

Robinson - complete bust. Replace ASAP.

Saffold - solid to above average when healthy. Keep.

Reynolds - bring back.

Barnes - Below average. Replace.

Wichmann - below average. Replace.

Brown- average. Keep for depth.

Havenstein - down year but very solid last year. Keep.

Kendricks - above average. Keep.

Quinn - huge down year. Keep based on past years and age.

Brockers - keep

Donald - replace. Joking.

Hayes - replace with youth.

Ogletree - keep

Barron - Keep

Alexander - replace

TJ - try to keep

Gaines - keep. Down year but high ceiling and young.

Tru- keep

Joyner and Hill - keep.

Decent list there. I say keep Britt but he should be a #2 receiver. I would also keep Alexander. I still think you keep Robinson and see if a new staff can help him or if he simply moves to guard to save his career. Quinn is a hard call. He is a risky player as his health seems to be a big question. He is 2 seasons removed from any real consistent contributions. The Rams at least need a plan B for him.

…..

Legend
Decent list there. I say keep Britt but he should be a #2 receiver. I would also keep Alexander. I still think you keep Robinson and see if a new staff can help him or if he simply moves to guard to save his career. Quinn is a hard call. He is a risky player as his health seems to be a big question. He is 2 seasons removed from any real consistent contributions. The Rams at least need a plan B for him.

Agree on Quinn, even though he is piece of the puzzle. Problem is, like Chris Long, he's being paid way too much to merely be a piece of the puzzle.

On a whole....I'd look to improve, change, replace the entire left and right staffing DE position.

Ellard80

Legend
We have a solid defensive roster.

Our offensive roster is below average at the best... probably awful in reality.

The offensive line is self imploding,

TE - kendricks...he really fools some of you. He shows me time and time again that mentally he doesn't have it when it really matters - dropped passes, penalties. To me he is a prime example of the Jeff Fisher era problems: Teams and players that fool you into believing they can become something, but always plateau or regress.
Higbee - Who knows about him - but in an actual game he has yet to do anything.

WR - Britt has produced, but we are still lacking horribly at this position. Austin isn't really a true #1 or #2... he is effective when used as a slot and when he get's carries. He can be decent if used right. The rest of them are expendable.

RB - Another big question mark.

QB - We don't really know yet, and won't for some time.

Ram65

Legend
Overall, the Rams have less talent than you need to be a Super Bowl contender. If the Rams can sure up the offensive line some other deficiencies can be over come. Lets see what happens the rest of the year. The cap and current contracts will have to be a big consideration when moving forward. The offensive line and wide receivers have to be upgraded. Are Cooper, Thomas and Spuce a big part of the upgrade? The defense has to be solidified too. Quinn has to get another year to evaluated his future. Either way another pass rusher is needed. Easley should be kept on but others production has declined. Shuffling players around could help the defensive backfield but you can never have enough good DBs. Hard to get everything in order in one year but, the offensive line has to be priority one!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I obviously love Todd but if my eyes aren't mistaken he is noticeably slower and less explosive this year. How does that happen? How can you regress.
I'd agree with the loss of too much weight. But also, no runs in camp...no rhythm with new line...and once a RB starts getting HIT in the backfield, it's just natural to start tipping through the holes...happens to the best of them. Think not? Check Eric Dickerson versus the Bears in 85, or the Skins in 84...Couple big hits, and Dickerson was a mortal those days too...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My second post on this topic...How good is our player roster?

STARTERS
All Pro's
Punter- J. Hekker
DT- Aaron Donald

Outstanding to Very Good
MLB-Alec Ogletree
NT- M. Brockers

Good
RB-Gurley
WSLB-M.Barron
CB-T.Johnson
SS- TJ McDonald
SSLB-L.Joyner

Average
LDE-Wm. Hayes
ORG-R. Saffold(needs to play OT)
OC-T. Barnes
TE- L. Kendricks
FB- C. Harkey
WR-K.Britt
WR-T.Austin
K- Greg The Leg
RDE-R.Quinn

Ascending below average player
QB-J.Goff
OLG-A.Donnal (needs to play OT)

Poor
FS- M. Alexander(need to play Strong Safety )
CB-EJ Gaines
Nickle-L.Joyner (needs to move to the safety posts)
ORT-R.Havenstein
OLT-G.Robinson

Good Reserves
DT- D. Easley
LDE-E. Westbrooks
SSLB-J. Forrest
RB-B Cunningham
CB-Troy Hill
FS-Cody Davis
DE-M.Longacre
WR-B-Quick
OLB-Cory Littleton

Poor Reserves
RDE-Eugene Sims
NT-Cam Thomas

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
My second post on this topic...How good is our player roster?

STARTERS
All Pro's
Punter- J. Hekker
DT- Aaron Donald

Outstanding to Very Good
MLB-Alec Ogletree
NT- M. Brockers

Good
RB-Gurley
WSLB-M.Barron
CB-T.Johnson
SS- TJ McDonald
SSLB-L.Joyner

Average
LDE-Wm. Hayes
ORG-R. Saffold(needs to play OT)
OC-T. Barnes
TE- L. Kendricks
FB- C. Harkey
WR-K.Britt
WR-T.Austin
K- Greg The Leg
RDE-R.Quinn

Ascending below average player
QB-J.Goff
OLG-A.Donnal (needs to play OT)

Poor
FS- M. Alexander(need to play Strong Safety )
CB-EJ Gaines
Nickle-L.Joyner (needs to move to the safety posts)
ORT-R.Havenstein
OLT-G.Robinson

Good Reserves
DT- D. Easley
LDE-E. Westbrooks
SSLB-J. Forrest
RB-B Cunningham
CB-Troy Hill
FS-Cody Davis
DE-M.Longacre
WR-B-Quick
OLB-Cory Littleton

Poor Reserves
RDE-Eugene Sims
NT-Cam Thomas

I think after watching them for 13 games as individuals.... (play/performance in 2016) your breakdown is acutely accurate by their individual evaluations Bonifay... There was some serious regression with many of these same players from their 2015 performances. (you can believe the new regime will look at film from 2015 & 2016)

I think the new GM/HC will likely view the current roster more the way you see it and they will make as many personnel changes via F/A's, Draft and UDFA's as they possibly can. I welcome that approach because this roster and team as whole needs to find a winning identity aside from the annual SP Teams and a Defensive units. The SP/Teams & Defense as units played 11-5 football up until the Saints/Falcons games...

I'm just as curious to see how different the starting lineups look on the 2017 roster as much as I am about who the new GM/HC will be... I would like to imagine up to 4 new starters on Offense and maybe even 3 or 4 on the Defense. (who knows?)

No doubt it's going to get very interesting and exciting to see the direction the new regime goes in..

choice_main-310x165.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure we'll see wholesale changes the first year no matter who is coach. IIRR, most coaches bring in a few beyond the draft and give the rest of the team a year to "try out". I suppose that if they know they don't fit their style then a player will be gone or if they figure out a way to make a deal that gets them draft picks or a player they covet they will make those moves.

Bottom line is that it does take years to turn over a roster and in the mean time, we may find that our roster wasn't the lion's share of the problem.

Take our O-line for example. Doesn't it appear that it has taken a step backward this year after looking like it was getting pretty decent last season? Is that coaching? Is that lack of belief in a system? Is that full implementation of the Boras system and therefore we have a pretty full picture now? Would a change in coach and system get more out of these guys? These are not bottom of the barrel picks for O-linemen. It wasn't just the Rams that thought highly of them. And they are still young enough that we may have not seen their true potential.

Either way - I am not sure that we will see a huge change in personnel. And personally, I'd rather find out that it was coaching. Because honestly, that is what is going to see the most drastic change. And I'd be stoked to see Quick as a 1,500 yard receiver for Goff, Gurley getting the holes he seemed to get last year, Tavon breaking ankles across the field, Higbeast rumbling down the seam, Cooper moving chains, AND keep churning the roster with draft picks - not FAs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure we'll see wholesale changes the first year no matter who is coach. IIRR, most coaches bring in a few beyond the draft and give the rest of the team a year to "try out". I suppose that if they know they don't fit their style then a player will be gone or if they figure out a way to make a deal that gets them draft picks or a player they covet they will make those moves.

Bottom line is that it does take years to turn over a roster and in the mean time, we may find that our roster wasn't the lion's share of the problem.

Take our O-line for example. Doesn't it appear that it has taken a step backward this year after looking like it was getting pretty decent last season? Is that coaching? Is that lack of belief in a system? Is that full implementation of the Boras system and therefore we have a pretty full picture now? Would a change in coach and system get more out of these guys? These are not bottom of the barrel picks for O-linemen. It wasn't just the Rams that thought highly of them. And they are still young enough that we may have not seen their true potential.

Either way - I am not sure that we will see a huge change in personnel. And personally, I'd rather find out that it was coaching. Because honestly, that is what is going to see the most drastic change. And I'd be stoked to see Quick as a 1,500 yard receiver for Goff, Gurley getting the holes he seemed to get last year, Tavon breaking ankles across the field, Higbeast rumbling down the seam, Cooper moving chains, AND keep churning the roster with draft picks - not FAs.

Good Morning how's that Pacific Ocean aroma today ?

Yeah I would agree with you here. The offense is the issue but the defense decided to join in with the offense in Fail Mode too. There is only so much a new HC & its new administration can do in a few months. Free Agency rushes in real quick & from there its one hot & heavy on the determination on the plans & objectives & so on. So I do not see that massive change to this young roster as many here might think. Many elements limit this.

On offense many of our younger players particularly on the OL were high quality OL prospects in college. Havenstein, Brown & Wichmann all had good rookie seasons showing very good promise. Not sure just what happen here but whatever it was it effected the entire OL. But one outstanding high $$$ UFA OL is in order to be added I would suggest it be @ OLT and let all the rest of our OT's fight it out for the other post.

A big change in the offense in 2016 from the 2015 was the almost non use of FB Cory Harkey...we sure have not discussed that at all here. If we had please direct me to that past discussion if you can. The use if rookie TE/HB Tyler Higbee in place of Harkey??? hmmmmm:confused:. So much for all this Higbeast hype:huh:... In this seasons draft the Rams used 4 out of 6 selections on various type of receivers mostly not close to being broken in yet.

The major changes on Defense will come in only two areas...the Right DE post specifically edge pass rusher & the entire corner unit IMO that's it. Defensively some arranging of several young vets posts & assignments is a sure bet though.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought this team was a playoff team before the season, and I don't think I was too far off.
The oline is a disaster, but can be tweaked in the offseason.

So where I don't think they are a layup for postseason, I cant see how the core wouldn't be in the conversation next year.
Look at Minnesota, are they ahead of the Rams talent wise? I don't think so. Philly? Heck no. Arizona? Absolutely not...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm pretty sure the play of the team this year isn't indicative of the talent level. We still have an above average defensive line. Linebacker could use some improvement on the outside. Secondary could use some improvement. But neither position is considered poor IMO. Its just that we needed the defense to be dominant top 5 to offset the offense. It wasn't. Now it just fell apart the past 3 games for whatever reason. I think it was just stressed so much if finally broke.

The offense on the other hand, well, what can you say? I believe its a little of both. Talent and system. More talent would have trouble in this system. Defenses can play in that area near the LOS to be in good position to stop the run. Not necessarily 8 or 9 in to box but in position to hit the holes and meet Gurley at or behind the LOS.

But there is a talent deficiency. Face it, as much as we love Goff, he's at a substandard level right now. I think he'll be fine with the right coaching and some true weapons around him. But it will take some time. The rest of this season is all about his development.

Gurley is still a very talented back. I think some of the things they do made it hard for him and he tried to do things maybe he shouldn't have to make up for it. The receivers are substandard. Quick is a bust. Britt is a JAG. Austin is not being used properly but he's still not that guy you can line up and trust him to run a route and go get the ball. He's a gimmick guy. He should be getting 5 to 7 carries a game in the run department.

The line? Well, I don't know what to say. I thought we would see improvement. Didn't happen. They actually regressed. Is it coaching or lack of talent? I'll have to defer to the experts on that one. I just know they played very poorly this year. Disappointing. GRob is starting to look like a bust. The others are just not good at this point.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
completly ovarrated roster by rams fans and rams media.
fisher is a bad coach. and bad coaches just pick bad players.
trade goff and gurley now. i hope the new coach wants to get rid of these busts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I am in full agreement here. after watching last night pathetic performance by Lance Kendricks I am reevaluating my rating & opinion of him as a starting TE in the NFL. Lance Kendricks caught 1-of-4 targets for five yards and did nothing in run blocking to assist Gurley or Goff. LK is the listed as the 8th highest paid Ram in the salary cap list:confused: Rams mgt paid him a$10mil guaranteed contract. Rams have paid him over 10 million for the 2015/2016 seasons.

If it were my decision Lance is an instant release this off season. I would have to promote Cory Harkey & tell Higbee to go put on some muscle & power in the off season if TE Higbee wants to have a major role in 2017. I would also give the same orders to TE Temarrick Hemingway. Our sleeper here @ TE might be Bryce Williams who is a very large strong TE being over 6-6 and 265 pounds.

Pack your bag Lance Kendricks I have wash my hands of you:rant:!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Defensive Roster is above average. Need to replenish the CB, DE and FS positions.

Offensive Roster is below average with below average Center and Guards. LTs are average. WRs below average.
QB average for now but will be above average next year. RB below average for now (needs new Center and OL to open the holes). TEs are average (Rams need to draft TEs who knows how to play football).

Overall, the Rams roster is average because of offensive deficiencies are pulling the team down.